Bus passenger beheads seat mate.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Chris_Gonzalez

Bus passenger beheads seat mate.

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 01 Aug 2008, 05:03

WHAT. THE. HELL.

(CNN) -- As horrified travelers watched, a Greyhound Canada bus passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated a young man who was sitting and sleeping beside him, a witness said Thursday.

Police investigate the scene near Portage la Prairie, Canada, on Thursday.

Police investigate the scene near Portage la Prairie, Canada, on Thursday.

"There was a bloodcurdling scream. I was just reading my book, and all of a sudden, I heard it," Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the two men, said of the Wednesday night incident west of Portage la Prairie in Manitoba.

"It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say," Caton said. "I don't think it will leave me for a while.

"

Passengers exited the bus, and a trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of them so they could keep the suspect on the bus until police came, witnesses told Canadian TV.

The suspect was seized with the help of negotiators, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said.

He said no formal charges had been filed, and he declined to identify either the man in custody or the victim, who were among 34 passengers.

The was no immediate indication of what prompted the attack, Colwell said. He said he didn't know how many times the victim was stabbed. Witnesses described the weapon as a large butcher-type knife.

Caton told The Associated Press that the victim appeared to be about 19 years old and had gotten on the bus in Edmonton.

Colwell praised the "extraordinary" level-headedness and bravery of the bus driver and passengers.

"What you saw and what you experienced would shake the most seasoned police officer. And yet I'm told that each of you acted swiftly, calmly and bravely," Colwell said. "As a result, no one else was injured.

"

The police received a call reporting the attack at 8:30 p.m. By the time they arrived at the scene, everyone except the knife-wielder and his victim had left the bus, Colwell said. The incident ended about 1:30 a.m.

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said in Dallas, Texas.

Caton said the victim was sleeping with his head leaning against the window when the attack happened. Caton said he shouted at the other passengers, many of whom also were sleeping, to leave.

"Everybody got off the bus. Me and a trucker that stopped and the Greyhound driver ran up to the door to maybe see if the guy was still alive or we could help or something like that," Caton said.

"And when we all got up, we saw that the guy was cutting off the guy's head. ... When he saw us, he came back to the front of the bus, told the driver to shut the door. He pressed the button and the door shut, but it didn't shut in time, and the guy was able to get his knife out and take a swipe at us," Caton said.

Caton told the AP that the attacker didn't sit near the victim when he first got on the bus, about an hour before the attack.

"He sat in the front at first; everything was normal," Caton said. "We went to the next stop, and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting. He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal.

"

Half an hour later, the attack began, Caton told the AP. "There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy.

"

The incident occurred on the first of two Greyhound Canada buses that were traveling together, Wambaugh said. The bus was carrying 37 passengers. As many passengers as possible among those not directly involved in the incident were transferred to the second bus, she said.

Others were taken to a hotel in Brandon, where they were met by Greyhound managers and police, Wambaugh said.

Once they are released, Greyhound will take them by bus to Winnipeg, and "we will do whatever is required to help them, and that includes counseling," she added.

advertisement

Wambaugh declined to comment further.

"I don't want to compromise the investigation," she said.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Aug 2008, 05:24

That is kinda darn messed up...

Guess it makes public travel all the more appealing...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Aug 2008, 06:11

Next time link to the article rather than copying it verbatim.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 01 Aug 2008, 06:28

its possible he said the name of mr tiddlywinks three times?

sorry, bad taste there.

on a more serious note, i wonder what prompted it? one would think you would have to be very unbalanced to do something like that. also, how did he get a cleaver (i presume thats what they mean) on the bus?
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Aug 2008, 06:30

Hrm.

Doesn't surprise me at all. People like to kill others sometimes, it happens.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 01 Aug 2008, 06:38

Sir_Substance wrote:also, how did he get a cleaver (i presume thats what they mean) on the bus?

Through the extensive web of metal detectors and full-body searches, you mean?

The universe is full of mysteries.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Aug 2008, 06:43

Unlucky wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all. People like to kill others sometimes, it happens.

"Some people just want to watch the world burn" kinda thing?
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Aug 2008, 06:46

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Unlucky wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all. People like to kill others sometimes, it happens.

Somewhat. It's not that hard to see into the mind of someone who just wants to kill everything for no reason whatsoever. At least, I have no trouble with it.

You do it on a random impulse, nothing more. No logic, no reason, no emotion even. Your brain makes your arm twitch into action as your expressionless face just watches as your body tears the life out of another. No joy from this, no sadness - nothing. You're just doing it.
Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 01 Aug 2008, 06:50

Unlucky wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Somewhat. It's not that hard to see into the mind of someone who just wants to kill everything for no reason whatsoever. At least, I have no trouble with it.

You do it on a random impulse, nothing more. No logic, no reason, no emotion even. Your brain makes your arm twitch into action as your expressionless face just watches as your body tears the life out of another. No joy from this, no sadness - nothing. You're just doing it.

coming from the point of view of someone who as a kid used to whack other kids of the head with chairs when they pissed him off, i have great difficulty understanding that. my experience of doing violence on another person is that SOMETHING triggers it. rage, hatred, fear, or something colder, like ambition. but its never just a random impulse. i cant imagine even someone severely mentally ill would *just* kill someone, for no reason other then its something to do.
Chris_Gonzalez

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 01 Aug 2008, 06:52

Lord Chrusher wrote:Next time link to the article rather than copying it verbatim.

Thanks for the misguided constructive criticism, but the "WHAT. THE. HELL." is the link. I didn't underline it for emphasis. Next time don't assume that underlined text isn't a link.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Aug 2008, 06:56

Chris_Gonzalez wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:Next time link to the article rather than copying it verbatim.

Thanks for the misguided constructive criticism, but the "WHAT. THE. HELL." is the link. I didn't underline it for emphasis. Next time don't assume that underlined text isn't a link.

I think he's just trying to say it would have saved a bit of space\bandwidth if you'd have just linked the article and maybe a small chunk of it instead of the whole thing.

:)
Chris_Gonzalez

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 01 Aug 2008, 06:58

Unlucky wrote:
Chris_Gonzalez wrote:

I think he's just trying to say it would have saved a bit of space\bandwidth if you'd have just linked the article and maybe a small chunk of it instead of the whole thing.

:)

Meh. Habit from the Game Informer forums.

Better the bandwidth used here than on, say, some crappy social networking website. :p
Kennsta

Postby Kennsta » 01 Aug 2008, 07:08

i heard this on the radio a day or two ago. it's really odd :shock: ...
and yesterday i was watching the news and the person reporting said " The victim was pronounced dead on the scene.".
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ..." -Louis Hector Berlioz
Chris_Gonzalez

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 01 Aug 2008, 07:10

Kennsta wrote:i heard this on the radio a day or two ago. it's really odd :shock: ...
and yesterday i was watching the news and the person reporting said " The victim was pronounced dead on the scene.".

That makes me think of a line from a Flight of the Conchords song:

"A dude's lyin' on the street/ some kids chopped off his head. I'm the only one who stops/ to see if he's dead.

Turns out he's dead."
Joystick Hero

Postby Joystick Hero » 01 Aug 2008, 07:16

Kennsta wrote:and yesterday i was watching the news and the person reporting said " The victim was pronounced dead on the scene.".

You mean he didn't survive the decapitation? Even for a little bit? Shame.

But jeez. I already had various paranoias about people on the bus. This does not help.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 01 Aug 2008, 07:35

OMG this is so close to where i live!!!! SCARY!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Aug 2008, 07:49

Sorry I did not see the link due to the massive quote. Also I had read about this on the Globe and Mail website yesterday so they was a bit of 'I have already read this, why do I need to do it again'.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Chris_Gonzalez

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 01 Aug 2008, 07:50

Lord Chrusher wrote:Sorry I did not see the link due to the massive quote. Also I had read about this on the Globe and Mail website yesterday so they was a bit of 'I have already read this, why do I need to do it again'.

Eh, understandable. But the link was first. :P
kingtorm
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby kingtorm » 01 Aug 2008, 08:30

for some reason i find this funny.....yeaaahh......i going to hell, aren't i
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 01 Aug 2008, 09:14

O_o wtf...

I'm never falling asleep on the bus again!
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 01 Aug 2008, 09:39

I heard this story as I was riding in a taxi. The guy seemed to like it a lot and gave this look.

I think it was just the guy was snoring so loudly
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 01 Aug 2008, 09:54

Zombaholic wrote:I heard this story as I was riding in a taxi. The guy seemed to like it a lot and gave this look.

I think it was just the guy was snoring so loudly

oh man... i tend to snore, and i also tend to sleep on long trips... shit
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 01 Aug 2008, 11:24

Freaky shit. Also,
Chris_Gonzalez wrote:That makes me think of a line from a Flight of the Conchords song:

"A dude's lyin' on the street/ some kids chopped off his head. I'm the only one who stops/ to see if he's dead.

Turns out he's dead."

I thought of the exact same line when I read the part about them trying to help the guy.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 01 Aug 2008, 14:03

Wow, that's kinda messed up...
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 01 Aug 2008, 14:30

dont sleep on the bus?

Return to “General Discussion”