New LRR layout.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Telekenesis

Postby Telekenesis » 05 Aug 2008, 08:49

It's been the same for so long.. =|

It'll take a while to get used to it, but right now, I like it.

Random brown spots ftw.
Graham wrote:Clearly I'm dancing like a ninny intentionally.

Graham wrote:It's a lot of phun.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 05 Aug 2008, 09:45

The more I look at it, the more I can live with the clutter, but that ad is still bothering me a lot. It's not the ad itself, so much as it's position, it's too high up and too close to the main video, and more likely to confuse people. I realize that putting it below the "blog" section might hide it on smaller monitors, and potentially reduce income from it, but could you at least put the LRRcast section above it? I'm begging you, that one small thing would improve the page a lot. The top of the page tells people what the latest updates are in each section, and I think the LRRcast bar should be up there anyways, and that way the ad won't detract from what the newest content is, and not distract new viewers as much. I can't say I'll ever like the new page, but I can learn to live with it if that LRRcast bar is just moved up above the ad.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 05 Aug 2008, 09:47

It works fine on my home computer, but my work desktop shows it all screwy. I've tried deleting cookies, refreshing, rebooting... I've basically reset everything I have permission to reset. *sigh*

When it displays correctly, I like it.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 05 Aug 2008, 11:18

I thought then new adspace on the mainpage is pretty easy to see that it's not LRR content. At least, not when I don't recognize the chick in the picture from the crew. It's the fact that it is a photograph link & not an actual video that is most misleading & a bit annoying, but I know where it is now.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
whereibelong

Postby whereibelong » 05 Aug 2008, 23:32

Graham wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:The "find text" feature of my browser is now useless for finding specific videos because they are now strewn over 10 pages & there is no search feature on the website.

Paginating the videos page was a more recent decision in the redesign, and that's a very good point.

We'll look into some form of search feature, or another solution.

A proper search system is something that I've thought for a long while has been missing.

Graham wrote:I respect that you weren't the only viewer who used the categories... I guess we didn't think that many people did. The issue is that we don't. Every video we have done for the past many, many months has been either "Shorts" or "Other" so we felt they were obsolete. Perhaps we were wrong in our estimations of usefulness, but there are still reasons for it, and categories aren't coming back.

Dang, that was my only real gripe with the new design

Graham wrote:All in all, I think any cons involved in this design are far outweighed by the many pros.
Also, I think it looks slick

Definitely - it is slick, I like the less empty feel.

But how about links to the video's Wiki article on the video pages (especially now there isn't a visible link to the Wiki at all from the vid pages)
Would it be less intrusive to have an ad just above the Recent Videos section - still visible, but not pushing half of the side panel down...

But all in all guys - 'tis a thing of beauty, well done Paul (et al)
Linux doesn't consider defining its sexuality to be an efficient use of uptime!
Mats

Postby Mats » 06 Aug 2008, 00:13

If we are looking to nitpick: It seems the Whatever video from December 6 2006, is marked as a LRR video and not a Bonus video like all other Whatever.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Aug 2008, 03:15

It looks a lot more professional and is quite eye catching. Very nice work.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 06 Aug 2008, 06:59

I see you updated the about us page.
Why isn't Bill looking at the camera?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 06 Aug 2008, 08:16

Cake wrote:I see you updated the about us page.
Why isn't Bill looking at the camera?

It's because he's dead. Can't you see, Paul's the preist, Matt's the gravedigger, and Graham is obviously barefoot.

...erm... wait... no.

ANYWAY. So yes, new site layout. I like it! Though, maybe the spacing could use some work? It feels sort of cramped. I love the four-box thing in the upper right hand corner. I don't know if maybe it needs more blue, though. There's too much of colors that are not blue!

Great job, Paul. AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO DID THE DESIGNING. Fantastic.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 07 Aug 2008, 18:30

omg change!
qq's
i dont know what's happening anymore
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 07 Aug 2008, 20:25

yea i officially like it now that im used to it
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 07 Aug 2008, 20:40

It doesn't work on my laptop in either IE or FireFox, but works on my desktop just fine.

I can still find my way around, but meh. I'm getting a new computer in less than a week, so I'll be fine (hopefully).
I can't think of a signature.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 08 Aug 2008, 05:35

I like it, personally. Though I wish the old categories would return is all... I liked being able to line up all the X ways to Y videos, or the Sheer Stupidity or any of the others on a slow day and watch them all together, but maybe that's just me.
I realise that the LRR crew members may not have ever used those categories or gone back to watch the videos as much as me and other fans, probably largely because, having made them, they maintain somewhat less entertainment value and re-watchability than for us, but you have to remember that the site is largely for the fans to watch the videos right? So why can't that be as easy as possible for us? More video categories is all I'm asking....
WTFDude445

Postby WTFDude445 » 08 Aug 2008, 10:34

I love the new LRR layout. The only thing I DON'T like is how you put the vids into 10 pages. You should put up an option where you can view them all on one page. I'm used to Edit>Find>Find... to find a video. Now I have to google it to save time.
meh.
Graham wrote:RUUUEEEEE!!!!!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 08 Aug 2008, 14:59

I have added a search function to the video and the lrrcast archive pages

http://loadingreadyrun.com/blog/2008/08 ... ve-search/
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 10 Aug 2008, 06:18

Posted elsewhere:

Trademark wrote:Quite honestly, my first reaction to the new design was something like who spilled a pallete full of awful colors over the loadingreadyrun website?

Maybe now the different categories are color sorted but it just looks horrible...not mentioning (well I actually am just now when I think about it) that some of the text is displayed wrong (I use Firefox) and over other text (particularly the video description over the video lenght and view count)...I dunno about the others but in my eyes this is a wrong step.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Aug 2008, 06:31

Would it be possible to have a way to search by cast member? (Just make sure you reinforce that Andy button)
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 10 Aug 2008, 08:42

King Kool wrote:Would it be possible to have a way to search by cast member? (Just make sure you reinforce that Andy button)

I imagine once (if) they get a tagging system in place, tags could include the names of everyone involved
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 Aug 2008, 10:25

Thanks Paul for adding the search function.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 11 Aug 2008, 07:17

After a week, I have to say I do like the new format better. I especially like the "discuss" button on the video pages now, that go directly to the forum entry for that video.
The color coding of the video "types" does a pretty good job as well.
I also like that the look did keep a close feel to the older way. I just seems like the old site with better tweaks.
So, I'd say overall win.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 11 Aug 2008, 08:14

One new thing that I cannot understand is that the title for the movies on the pages are links to the same page. This is especially annoying when watching the movie and then accidentally clicking on it and having to start over.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Aug 2008, 13:12

CaesarMagnus wrote:I especially like the "discuss" button on the video pages now, that go directly to the forum entry for that video.

*cough* That was actually always there *cough*

But I guess it's better placed now!
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 11 Aug 2008, 15:27

Graham wrote:
CaesarMagnus wrote:I especially like the "discuss" button on the video pages now, that go directly to the forum entry for that video.

*cough* That was actually always there *cough*

But I guess it's better placed now!

OK, then - um - "glad you kept the 'discuss' button." LOL.

Geeze, I honestly had never noticed it before. :oops:
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Aug 2008, 18:52

The video Search box isn't working for me. No matter what I type the same two links come up. "Deathly Hallows Launch Night" & "Stuck in a Car With Your Friends."
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 12 Aug 2008, 11:37

Search should be working now. The page caching and searching were interfering with each other.

Return to “General Discussion”