Why LRR? [Feedback]

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

What videos keep you coming back?

Gaming-Related Humour [Halo, WiiPlay etc]
4%
Us "Playing Ourselves" [Moving Out, Worst Homosexual]
56%
"Traditional" Sketches [Assesement, The Truce]
30%
Topical Commentary [D&D 4th Edition, Uwe Boll]
1%
Other [Iron Stomach, X Ways to Y]
9%

Total votes: 113
Graham
Super Moderator

Why LRR? [Feedback]

Postby Graham » 06 Aug 2008, 17:20

Hey, this is something that I've been kind of wondering about recently, even moreso since the curiously divisive reactions to Skeletor's Dick (WHICH IS NOT TO BE DEBATED IN THIS THREAD) and I was hoping you all could help me out.

What I'm curious about is what draws you, the loyal fanbase, the forum members, the podcast listeners, back here every week to see our videos?

I'm not looking for what you want to see, so please no "more 64k!" or things like that, I just want to know what is our... our "hook" as you, personally, see it?

Use the poll above, or just talk about it. Good or bad, strengths and weaknesses. We'd like to know.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 06 Aug 2008, 17:27

I love the additional layer of meta in the videos of you playing yourselves, "Videos about guys who make videos" and whatnot.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 06 Aug 2008, 17:28

I personally would go for the 'you guys playing yourselves' or the 'traditional sketches'. I love the gaming humour and topical bits as well, but the sheer wit of your scripts goes along with the sort of great feeling that comes with you guys doing sketches together.

Whether you're doing sketches or playing yourselves, even though it's scripted you get a great feeling of the connection between all of the crew, and collectively along with clever ideas, great execution, and killer delivery, it all comes together to make the site worth coming to.

Things like Iron Stomach are also lots of fun, but don't have quite the same effectiveness of most of your sketches.

One last reason I really prefer the sketches is that for someone who's life isn't entirely ruled by video games, I don't always get some of the references in gaming videos. They're good when I get what's going on, but some of the time it just goes over my head and I feel a bit like it's directed just for hardcore gamers will all of the newest or oldest systems, and it gives the feeling of not entirely being in on the joke.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 06 Aug 2008, 17:29

Personally, I have to say none of the above.

I come here for the following:

• The Crew. I'd love to hang out with any of them. Fun and funny folks.
  • The variation. I never know what I'm going to get. Maybe I won't like it, maybe it'll be okay, maybe it will rock my socks. It can't always be Pure Win crafted from Refined Phailinite, but I gladly take both good and bad, because it averages out so much more towards the good.
  • The overall intelligent and witty humor. Yes, dick jokes occur, but they're well done. Yes, sheer stupidity rears it's head, but in awesome and creative ways.
  • The community. We're a lovable bunch of muppets.
  • The hope of being trebucheted into the Pacific someday. (Wink wink, nudge nudge.)
  • The dedication. At least one video a week, plus podcast, and for long than Google has been around!
  • The adventure. Being along for the ride; watching the Crew become better actors, directors, writers, and cinematographers; staying up crazy hours to follow Desert Bus; suggesting videos and wacky ideas; participating in the challenges; etc, etc.
~Alja~
huddlehouseninja

Postby huddlehouseninja » 06 Aug 2008, 17:33

I would totally say all of the above plus some. You guys make me laugh so hard. You are amazing at what you come up with & it's just fantastic!!!

I love you guys.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 06 Aug 2008, 18:03

You're my friends, so acting like yourselves is what I like.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 06 Aug 2008, 18:06

i like the you playing yourselves, followed by the sketches... then x ways to y, and then video games...

but all in all, you guys are hi-larious so really i like it all!
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 06 Aug 2008, 18:14

the truce is a shining example of what i love seeing here. assesment wasnt too bad, but not quite what i look for.

however, i also wanted to click "other" because i love X ways to Y, so at +1 to whatever the other column turns out to be.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 06 Aug 2008, 18:18

All of the above, and:

Alja-Markir wrote:
  • The variation. I never know what I'm going to get. Maybe I won't like it, maybe it'll be okay, maybe it will rock my socks. It can't always be Pure Win crafted from Refined Phailinite, but I gladly take both good and bad, because it averages out so much more towards the good.
  • The overall intelligent and witty humor. Yes, dick jokes occur, but they're well done. Yes, sheer stupidity rears it's head, but in awesome and creative ways.
  • The dedication. At least one video a week, plus podcast, and for long than Google has been around!
  • The adventure. Being along for the ride; watching the Crew become better actors, directors, writers, and cinematographers; staying up crazy hours to follow Desert Bus; suggesting videos and wacky ideas; participating in the challenges; etc, etc.

QFT.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 06 Aug 2008, 18:22

I really wanted to say Us playing Ourselves... but I truly get a kick out of the ISC and X ways to Y. They put the most smiles on my face.

I stay to see the sheer awesome and improvement.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 06 Aug 2008, 18:22

I derive great pleasure in watching a bunch of very talented, funny, personable people do something they so obviously love. It's really something fun to see at all - the fact that they do something I enjoy is a wonderful bonus.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 06 Aug 2008, 18:28

Alja-Markir wrote:Personally, I have to say none of the above.

• The hope of being trebucheted into the Pacific someday. (Wink wink, nudge nudge.)
~Alja~

Pretty well summed it up for me.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 06 Aug 2008, 18:55

A combination of traditional sketches and sketches where you play you
-Wraith
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 06 Aug 2008, 19:06

Cureless_Poison wrote:

~Alja~

Pretty well summed it up for me.
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 06 Aug 2008, 19:13

Alja-Markir wrote:

Yeah, that.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 06 Aug 2008, 19:16

~Alja~

This. Unfortunately the things that seem to hook the most viewers are things like Halo: The Future of Gaming or Talk Like a Pirate, or X ways to Y, which only come around once in a long time. (and by this I mean people I've shown LRR to seem to like those the best [Although Man Cooking is included in the most-hookable catagory])
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
basscomm

Postby basscomm » 06 Aug 2008, 19:29

To be honest, I haven't actually watched any of the videos on the site since sometime during season 3 for reasons that won't really interest anyone.

Then, I heard about Desert Bus and remembered that I hadn't checked in for quite some time and popped in a few times to see what was up.

Then I kind of forgot all about the site until a few weeks ago until I remembered that I had a forum account, and, well, here I am.

But to answer the question properly, my favorite videos are the ones where the crew acts like silly versions of themselves. They seem like the kind of folks I'd hang around with if given the chance.

You crit the English Language for 1337 damage.
English Language dies.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Aug 2008, 19:29

You playing yourselves is my number one choice, because I like the meta-storytelling that it allows for, and I generally like storylines and arcs (such as Matt vs Graham), which generally go best in that category.
Number two are traditional sketches, due to their hilariousness and timeless quality, so I can come back to them years later, and their still just as good as when I first saw them. I also include musical videos here (Andy, 64k, ballad on the fanboy, and the like).
Then of course, what Alja-Markir said.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 06 Aug 2008, 19:30

I really like the exaggerated roles you guys play of yourselves. I came for talk like a pirate. I stayed for things like Quantum Documentary, the Worst Homosexual, and Daylight Savings. You guys do sketch comedy well, and I like to have a few laughs.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
RoomKeyNinja

Postby RoomKeyNinja » 06 Aug 2008, 20:28

Since I can't just vote and let it go at that, here's my overly long answer, in order of favoritism

1) Most Favorite- Us playing Ourselves- I love these sketches. I understand there's a meta level to it, that we're not actually seeing the real Graham and the real Matt and so forth, but it allows for a community connection. It allows for more running in jokes, is usually quite amusing, and advances a story, even if those stories are often nonsensical. I think this gets the gold star...if we didn't like YOU, LRR crew, we wouldn't be watching you. As much a fan as I am of the rest, I want to see Graham, Paul, Morgan, Matt, Jer, ect more than I want to see the character of the week. Like what goes in the now established James/Paul and Bill/Jer roommate situations. Shenanigans, I hope.

Traditional Sketches- 2nd on my list, these are hit and miss as any sketch is, but I return to a lot of them again and again. Daylight savings, the Truce, ect. In all honesty, I tend to like number 1 and 2 pretty equally. I'd be thoroughly contented on a regiment of you as yourselves offset by frequent side sketches. Also, Sick Day is my favorite video thus far.

Other- Third, and admittedly a broad category. X ways to Y are fun, as is the iron stomach. I'm also a big fan of the Canada day videos, despite being American. On Location are things I'd like to see more of to.

Topical/Gaming related-Depend on how it's done, these get a chuckle from me. Some of them I get, some of them I don't. However, the major thing I noticed that puts this down on my list is that I never go back to them. I don't rewatch DnD or Cardboard man the way I'll rewatch door to door or Bump in the Night. They're funny at the time, but if you ask me what LRR is, and what videos I turn to in order to show my friends, these ones don't appear.
Is eternally grateful to Misty for this .gif
Also plotting how to destroy Bill, as all Ninjas should
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 06 Aug 2008, 20:36

I can't vote either because its a multitude of reasons why I come back.

One reason is that you guys really don't typecast yourself as anyone form of entertainment genre. You do funny political commentary. Video games. Skits etc and the variety of it all just keeps me back for more because its not often you find troupes online like you guys who are excellent.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
cacho

Postby cacho » 06 Aug 2008, 20:40

I have an Internet routine, I watch the same sites with videos. That's why I come back, yours is fun most of the times.

I found out about your site when I was in a guilt where we had to talk like a pirate and I sucked at it.... so I found the "How to talk like a pirate" in google :p

But yeah I must say the funiest videos are when you guys do random shit and tape it, like road trips and the microwave video.

Also I'm imprest how James talks like a mix of someone from brooklin and East LA. What up bitchesssss
-_Guatemala Represent_-

www.warhammersupportsucks.com
...because you know it does.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 06 Aug 2008, 21:06

I would, in all seriousness, click the "All OF The Above" button if you'ld put one up.

I love all of your videos and look forward to them each week, no matter what type they might be. And when I go back and watch old ones there's no ryhme or reason to which I watch.

So all of the above, with the addendum "And the great forum community"
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 06 Aug 2008, 21:39

I almost voted for you guys playing yourselves (or, in some cases, your douchebaggier doppelgangers), but thinking back the videos that had the most lasting impression on me where the original sketches. The kind of videos you'd submit to a film festival. They trend towards ingeniousness.

Although I almost voted Other just because of my love for the LRR3K/Maniac Chase videos, so clearly I am an outlier who may be thoroughly discredited.
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 06 Aug 2008, 22:05

I like the "you playing yourselves" and the traditional sketches the most probably, but only by a small margin. It's all awesome to different degrees. Also, any and all forms of meta and fanservice tend to hit it out of the park for me. And time travel stuff.

And I want to add once again that I would love to be involved in a video (or join the crew, lol) if you'd be interested in collaborating sometime. Keep up the awesome!

Oh, and:
Alja-Markir wrote: ...for long than Google has been around!

Incorrect. I think you meant YouTube, not Google.

Return to “General Discussion”