RIP Bernie Mac

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
James
LRR Crew

RIP Bernie Mac

Postby James » 09 Aug 2008, 08:19

I won't lie, I was never the biggest Bernie Mac fan. I mean he is a funny guy and I loved him in the Oceans movies, but I wasn't a die hard fan by any means. But this is still depressing.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/story/2008 ... ml?ref=rss

This year has been pretty rough for celebrity deaths and they are finally starting to effect me. 15 Years ago when an actor died my parents would talk about it like they knew him/her and I couldn't really wrap my head around how they felt that strongly about someone they had never met. But now that I am older and movies/tv shows are such a big part of who I am I am starting to understand. Its going to be weird to hear over the next 30 or so years that actors that i grew up watching and loving are going to start dying.

Lame.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 Aug 2008, 08:50

:shock:
Whoa - he wasn't very 'old'. I agree on the 'bummer' vibe coming off of this year.

I was eight when Peter Sellers died and it didn't click in my head at all, even when I watched "Trail of the Pink Panther" on TV, and my dad explained it was...'slapdash' because Mr. S. had died during filming and they adapted it into this 'homage of interviews'. I remember being kinda sad that there'd be no more films from him, but it didn't sink in.

Almost two decades later, when that biopic Geoffrey Rush was in, I'd seen a LOT more of Sellers' work and I remember feeling the loss at that point. :(
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 09 Aug 2008, 09:19

I really, didn't think that he'd go so young.

I'll go and watch the Ocean's movies to remember him.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 09 Aug 2008, 10:55

wilson_x1999 wrote:I really, didn't think that he'd go so young.

50's not especially young.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 09 Aug 2008, 11:35

Same to see him go. :/

It's at least good to see a celebrity die from an illness rather than drug overdosage.
I can't think of a signature.
JesterJ.

Re: RIP Bernie Mac

Postby JesterJ. » 09 Aug 2008, 14:57

James wrote:I won't lie, I was never the biggest Bernie Mac fan. I mean he is a funny guy and I loved him in the Oceans movies, but I wasn't a die hard fan by any means. But this is still depressing

My feelings exactly. I loved him in the Oceans, but was never a huge fan of him. Nevertheless, he was definitely a charismatic guy and a good actor, and it's really too bad.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 09 Aug 2008, 15:47

Wow.

I also was not a huge Mac fan but i did enjoy the roles he did play.

Rest in Peace
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 Aug 2008, 15:50

Vaughn wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:I really, didn't think that he'd go so young.

not especially old, either.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 09 Aug 2008, 15:52

his show sucked, his standup was better
huddlehouseninja

Postby huddlehouseninja » 09 Aug 2008, 17:50

So sad.. RIP Bernie
I have a vagina, and it is sans teeth.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 09 Aug 2008, 18:20

wow... thats sad... he wasn't really that old... i mean, really i hope to live past 50
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
wilson_x1999

Postby wilson_x1999 » 09 Aug 2008, 18:54

Vaughn wrote:...

Maybe not, but it was still early for him.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 09 Aug 2008, 20:53

CyberTractor wrote:It's at least good to see a celebrity die from an illness rather than drug overdosage.

For me, it's worse...

When firstly they have more to live for than their next hit, and secondly pneumonia is something people shouldn't die from nowadays.

You have to wonder how Winehouse keeps going and BM has to go.
Android

Postby Android » 09 Aug 2008, 22:15

James wrote: ... now that I am older and movies/tv shows are such a big part of who I am I am starting to understand. Its going to be weird to hear over the next 30 or so years that actors that i grew up watching and loving are going to start dying.

Lame.

QFT

spartanhelmet, I would trade Winehouse and the cast of Entourage for one BM and five Heath Ledger films.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 09 Aug 2008, 22:39

Android wrote:
James wrote: ... now that I am older and movies/tv shows are such a big part of who I am I am starting to understand. Its going to be weird to hear over the next 30 or so years that actors that i grew up watching and loving are going to start dying.

Lame.

QFT

spartanhelmet, I would trade Winehouse and the cast of Entourage for one BM and five Heath Ledger films.

QFT all of the above.

That said, drugs were a problem for Heath from what I've heard. I went to the same school as he once did, so I've heard things that you don't get from the media.

Heath was a state hockey player, which is quite an achievement. He wasn't the most academic, and he was into marijuana. With a friend of his, he left school before his graduation year to try a TV acting career on the other side of the country which ultimately got him into movies.

So he wasn't the model student, but he was who he was. If he hadn't had a shaky start, he might have not been as motivated to shoot for that dream of acting or his experiences to draw on in acting might have not been so extensive or at least the same. I believe strongly in the butterfly effect, so I think we wouldn't have got him otherwise.

There's always the hidden part of people, but the fact is nobody's perfect. Actors, comedians and anyone in the public eye has it hard, period... and most of them are decent people. Heath and Bernie being two.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 10 Aug 2008, 06:29

good riddance to bad rubbish.

too soon?
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 10 Aug 2008, 06:34

Morgan wrote:good riddance to bad rubbish.

too soon?

Yeah... and he wasn't exactly rubbish.

I just so happened to see him in Oceans 13 tonight at a theatre, and it was beyond slightly strange to see him.

I'm not one of the "OH NOES! leave the dead to r.i.p." kind, but it is just a little soon.
wilson_x1999

Postby wilson_x1999 » 10 Aug 2008, 07:50

spartanhelmet wrote:...You have to wonder how Winehouse keeps going and BM has to go.

I'm pretty sure that Winehouse is already part of the Homo Mortuus, but nobody has told her yet.

Return to “General Discussion”