Timeline of the LRRd

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 02 Sep 2008, 03:02

I would think that Phail occurs in many forms. One is its Coal-like appearance. Another one is the Gasseous form described earlier. (Judging by the equipment in the Phailtech mining operations I actually assume Phailtech gassifies it's Phail to transport it over long distances, before distilling it to the Phailrock (Coal-like) or even Phailinite form at the powerplants.

I agree that the Anti-Douchebag effect's of Phailinite could be attributed to the shock induced resonance causing PhailParticles to be attracted to the Phailinite. (let's call em Pp from now on, saves on the typing)

Come to think of it, maybe an upwelling of Phailgas caused Graham to act like a Douchebag and the Phailparticles stuck in his clothing and on his skin, causing long-term effects. When the Phailinite removed these particles he returned to normal.

I also agree on the need for combustion of Phail in its coallike form. However I see Phailinite more as comparable to nuclear fusion or fission fuels like plutonium or uranium. Because it is so pure it will release this energy without actually combusting (Burning is normally a reaction with Oxygen). Normal stable Phailinite DOES release low-level Phail energy all the time, but this release of Pp is constant and is not high enough to extract energy. Thus to use it in a Phail-reactor this release of energy will have to be elevated to usable levels.

A possibility is that this release of energy does consume the Phailinite, diminishing it's mass and volume. But I would not see it as directly burning it.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Sep 2008, 04:03

I am of the theory that Phail, in it's purest form at SATP, is actually a gaseous substance with an extremely high density. However, it is also very, very, unstable and prone to causing explosions that result in a massive simultaneous release of PhailParticles. This "PhailGas" will also rapidly bond with other substances, producing a coal-like substance that, while stable, produces very low amounts of Pp, and cannot be used on it's own as an energy source.

The trick to Phail-refining is to separate the PhailGas from the rock substrate it has bonded to in a vacuum chamber, then quickly transfer it to another chamber where it can be bonded with an artificial molecule, producing useful PhailPhule, which is stable and can be reacted (in a reactor no less) in order to produce PhailParticles at a controlled rate. Improper shielding of equipment and personnel in a Phail-reactor can have some...unintended consequences.

The explosion in the Phailtech mining operation was caused by some unbonded PhailGas, released by the machinery running at too high a capacity. Under normal circumstances the normally minor amount of PhailGas produced in mining operations can be drawn out and bonded to "transport molecules" for the trip to the refinery. However, they hit a rather large pocket of PhailGas, and the ventilation systems could not keep up with the sudden release of PhailGas. Sadly, not all of the workers had time to evacuate before it reacted with the surrounding machinery and caused the explosion.

Phailinite is an extremely rare form of Phail. When tectonic activity forces Phail-bearing rock deep enough into the Earth's core, the high temperature and pressure separates the Phail from the (now-molten) rock, and compresses it into a stable crystalline structure. This form of Phail is hard to come buy, as over the thousands of years for tectonic activity to push it back to the surface, it will have degraded back into regular Phail. If it manages to escape through a magma vent though (a volcano), the rapid pressure change in pressure but much slower change in temperature, combined with the natural attraction of Phail in all it's forms, forces the Phail crystals (usually only consisting of a few molecules) together into a larger Phail crystal that can be located and utilized in jewelry.

As for the PhailParticles that Phailinite gives off, they are normally released in low concentrations. However when in the vicinity of another source of Phail (or just fail), such as in the case of Douchbag-Graham, who was obviously hit by a massive dose of one of them, the amount of PhailParticles given off will rise exponentially. The kinetic energy of Paul kneeing Graham in the balls caused all the Phail and Phailparticles on Graham to temporarily "jump off" of him. The aforementioned attraction of Phail towards each other allowed the Phailinite Ring to attract and absorb all the excess radiation and Phail. This returned Graham to normal, and stored the harmful effects safely away in Paul's ring. Prolonged exposure to even the minor radiation given off by a Phailinite ring is not recommended. As Phail particles build up in the vicinity, they can react with both the physical and digital realms. This causes Paul's bouts of insanity, the ability to install Linux on the doors and the toilet (and Graham) using only a standard Mac USB keyboard, and the belief that a family of little people is living on your head.

Any connection the Graham's current Torrid Love Affair with a certain four-armed monstrosity is purely hypothetical at this point.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 02 Sep 2008, 04:28

Master Gunner wrote:tl;dr
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Sep 2008, 08:58

I'm certain we shouldn't be considering Phail of any kind in terms of energy manufacture, it's primary usage is for defying regular convention, thus allowing for easier or more efficient etc. work (Like managing a big company).

That said, the gas base certainly seems good to me, there's definitely precedent for gas existing naturally underground (Hence mining), so we can consider it possible Phail is extracted in such a fashion, the only thing we don't have so far is Liquid Phailonium :P

PhailGas, Phailinite, and PhailPhule/Phailrock (PhailPhule should be a brandname, Phailrock the substance, I think) are definitely three forms of Phail I think we have some form of evidence for, however abstract. The pipe machinery suggests a liquid or gas, though liquids usually create fires rather than explosions, so we can suggest PhailGas. PhailPhule definitely seems likely given it's treatment as a resource, and Paul's coal-miner appearance. Phailinite we have direct evidence of in the crystalline Phailinite Ring.

I'm not sure about the explosive properties of PhailGas, but I can see the Pp swimming around the gas cloud causing an explosion with the machinery.

I'm still a proponent of my resonance attraction theory regarding Phailinite curing Graham's Phail radiation poisoning (I'm also classing Paul's Linux madness as PRP, though his cure is only assumed to be the ring right now, the capacity of installing Linux on various objects is still definitely Pp resultant).

PRP is definitely discerned via strange madness, such as Paul's Linux obsession and Graham's douchebaggery. Probably a result of Pp on the brain, which could certainly cause it to mix up a number of signals and get things running a bit oddly. I concur that prolonged exposure to Phail of any kind without proper protection can result in PRP. Given the lack of respirators seen in the mining process it's possible there's an innoculation against it or some similar treatment.

In other news, I've integrated BioShocked and Daylight Savings, as well as the events of Installation Anxiety, into the timeline.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 02 Sep 2008, 14:58

Master Gunner wrote:Words
That explains a lot. So very awesome.
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Wonko

Postby Wonko » 02 Sep 2008, 15:16

Dutch guy wrote:Due to Phail radiaton the normal "I can say that electron will be in that area with a 86% probability" will turn into "I don't have a clue where the electron will go next as it will jump all over the place at random".
But that's the way it is anyway. If you know exactly how fast it's going, and when, then it's impossible to actually know where it is.

If Phailation (PhailRadiation) really causes a breakdown in physics (or fysics), then it would make sense that Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle breaks down as well, so that everything about the electron (its position, speed, turn-ons, etc.) would be known.

EDIT:
(let's call em Pp from now on, saves on the typing)
What about Phailicles?
This sig is haiku
There's no reason why it is
Other than it's cool.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Sep 2008, 23:43

At the risk of going into massively-nerdy territory (Right, as if I haven't done that already...) here's an idea of how the Pp work.

Assuming the Higgs-Boson is discovered with the LHC and we don't all fall into oblivion, we have precedent that forces can travel into other dimensions (Gravity being chief among them right now).

If we assume then that the humble Phail particle exists in both a positive and negative state, it could "push" or "attract" the typical physical forces into and from these additional dimensions, at a quantum level. Once the Pp leave or are negated, the forces return to their natural state.

This would basically allow them to mess up standard physics, so ice wouldn't melt in a caldera and remote controls can work on people.

I'm as yet unsure how it achieves such coherent effects though.
JoeNewberry
First Video: Rejected "Get a Mac" Ads

Postby JoeNewberry » 02 Sep 2008, 23:51

Time travel complicates everything. See Thursday Next Series
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 03 Sep 2008, 04:02

If Phailation (PhailRadiation) really causes a breakdown in physics (or fysics), then it would make sense that Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle breaks down as well, so that everything about the electron (its position, speed, turn-ons, etc.) would be known.

You make a good point there, but from everything observed so far I would more likely conclude that PR actually increases chaos, if electrons would become predictable this would deminish chaos tremendously. Heisenberg's theorie means that unless you know everything about an electron (position, spin, speed, etc) you can not predict where it's going to go. If you do however know about all the electrons, then you can predict where they are going to go. My theory is that PR would make even this completely impossible as electrons would start making random left or right turns in the middle of nowhere :)
Wonko

Postby Wonko » 03 Sep 2008, 07:12

But because of the breakdown of physics, wouldn't the second law of thermodynamics also fall apart, thus causing entropy (and therefore chaos) to decrease randomly? This can demonstrated by ice-sculpting in a volcano. The lattice structure of the ice is being maintained, even though everything around it says that it should collapse.

That random decrease in chaos would imply that at least some electrons would be predictable. Right?

This sig is haiku
Other than it's cool.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 03 Sep 2008, 07:20

Wonko wrote:But because of the breakdown of physics, wouldn't the second law of thermodynamics also fall apart, thus causing entropy (and therefore chaos) to decrease randomly? This can demonstrated by ice-sculpting in a volcano. The lattice structure of the ice is being maintained, even though everything around it says that it should collapse.

That random decrease in chaos would imply that at least some electrons would be predictable. Right?

Good point, I totally overlooked that one.

So basically this means that entropy DOES decrease (making things more predictable) but somehow the chaos observed increases. This is interesting. it means all experimentation is basically pointless as observations are now proven to be incorrect by definition. Caused by the effects of Pp radiation
Wonko

Postby Wonko » 03 Sep 2008, 07:32

So then, the only way this could really work, is with the creation of some sort of anti-Phail that makes everything around it incredibly dull and uninteresting, and indeed, acts in a manner exactly opposite of that of Phail.

In other words, it's the presence of both the Phail and the anti-Phail that causes the universe to work with some semblance of order, but Phail particles contain a much larger Phail charge than anti-Phail (hence, the lower quantities).

Interesting. I must think on this further.

This sig is haiku
Other than it's cool.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Sep 2008, 07:46

Wonko wrote:So then, the only way this could really work, is with the creation of some sort of anti-Phail that makes everything around it incredibly dull and uninteresting, and indeed, acts in a manner exactly opposite of that of Phail.

In other words, it's the presence of both the Phail and the anti-Phail that causes the universe to work with some semblance of order, but Phail particles contain a much larger Phail charge than anti-Phail (hence, the lower quantities).

Lyinginbedmon wrote:If we assume then that the humble Phail particle exists in both a positive and negative state, it could "push" or "attract" the typical physical forces into and from these additional dimensions, at a quantum level. Once the Pp leave or are negated, the forces return to their natural state.

This would basically allow them to mess up standard physics, so ice wouldn't melt in a caldera and remote controls can work on people.

I'm as yet unsure how it achieves such coherent effects though.

That still wouldn't explain the coherency, things should fluctuate wildly if the Pp are left to their own devices.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 03 Sep 2008, 08:53

I think the problem here is we're putting too much sense into the mix. It was mentioned that Phail has the properties disrupting the laws of physics and/or common sense.

Now taking Heisenburg's uncertainty principle as a metaphor, considering that Phail disrupts common sense then we as beings with generally logical thinking then Phail can never be fully understood. Not that we are all subject to PRP though we may be at times, perhaps many times, but that it's interaction with other people, materials, concepts, is entirely unpredictable.

So much so that it is predictably unpredictable to the point that sometimes things involved with Phail make sense.

It follows that certain aspects of things involved in both common sense and physics may not necessarily apply except in specific situations. Such as distance, mass, etc.

Consider then, logically speaking if a particle were to interact with another particle it is usually due to a collision, or due to the force of charge, right? Therefore Pp must be able to interact with other particles over large distances and not due to forces of charge or in fact any forces at all. It must be able to, but this will not necessarily occur. Because if it were one way or the other then it would be predictable.

This thinking, while it can be applied to other aspects of Phail can help one to not understand it better.

In shot Phail is irascible.

Taking a moment to check the definition of that word I realized I Phailed, or maybe just failed on it. I was under the though that it meant impossible to understand. Heh.

I seem to have lost my train of thought.

Anyway I'll leave you with a quote I once had as my signature.

Confusion is best, when not understood. ~ Unclever title

Edit: Train just came back into the station.

This is likely why coherency involved with Phail seems rare and unreasonable as we tend to expect things to be coherent, but Phail is not bound by this so it is neither totally coherent or incoherent, always. Though even that statement is potentially subject to Phluctuations.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Wonko

Postby Wonko » 03 Sep 2008, 09:12

Unclever title wrote:Taking a moment to check the definition of that word I realized I Phailed, or maybe just failed on it. I was under the though that it meant impossible to understand. Heh.

The word you're looking for is "ineffable". (In this case: "inephphable")

Lyinginbedmon wrote:That still wouldn't explain the coherency, things should fluctuate wildly if the Pp are left to their own devices.

But by the very nature of the Pp, wouldn't "what should" stop being "what will"? That is to say: Wouldn't the Pp affect themselves in such a way that they cause themselves and events around them to become stable? This would just contribute to the general ineffability of Phail as a whole, and thus conform to the Phail model that's been built up so far.

This sig is haiku
Other than it's cool.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 03 Sep 2008, 11:13

Actually, ineffable isn't quite right either. I think the proper word would be Inscrutable inexplicably spelled with a ph. So Inscruphtable
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.

I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 03 Sep 2008, 12:09

Umm...ninja bears....Seriously, man, you forgot to account for them.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Sep 2008, 12:34

I'm fully aware we cannot apply precise calculation to Phail or its subsidiary materials without any form of reference or comparison, but surely we can't just say "Phail is indefinable" and be done with it?

Totalogy is certainly the worst kind of definition one can give to any argument.

Any evidence of ninja bears appearing in the timeline? We have zombie bears, living bears, ghost bears, the moon base, etc. but nothing of ninja bears.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Sep 2008, 13:03

You know where would be a great place to have Phail defined? And would also lend itself beautifully to definition-by-jury? The wiki.

Here:
http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php/Phail

(Mostly because I love this, and think it should it be archived somewhere)
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Sep 2008, 13:12

Okay, so what can we already agree on? (Settling this much so it can be Wikified post-haste)

Phail is a material able to disrupt natural law, and comes most commonly in a gaseous form known as Phailgas, or bonded with rock, as Phailrock, which can be mined. If pressurised underground in situations of intense heat and then rapidly moved near the surface, it crystallises into the rare material Phailinite, which can also be refined from Phailrock through similar processes. "Phail" is often used colloquially to refer to any of these forms.

Phailrock
Phailrock is a coal-like substance mined for its high concentration of Phail particles, which are released as it burns. Phailgas can also be burned, but as a gas is far less easily contained than Phailrock. Phailrock is sold to companies and consumers in the brand PhailPhule, among others.

Phailinite
Phailinite naturally releases low amounts of Pp, but can be destabilised with ionising radiation to release higher volumes of Pp. The more Pp a chunk of Phailinite releases, the more its mass and volume decrease.

Phailinite is able to attract Pp, but the precise reason for this is disputed in two theories: The Bedmon Theory of Resonance and the Gunner Theory of Sticky Particles.
  • According to the Bedmon Theory of Resonance, when Phailinite's crystalline structure is exposed to vibration, it resonants with a sympathetic harmonic that attracts Pp.
  • According to the Gunner Theory of Sticky Particles, Pp sticks to objects and is "shaken off" by vibration, and is then naturally inclined to travel towards Phailinite.

Phailgas
Phailgas is at its most simplistic definition, a cloud of barely contained Pp, and can cause Phail radiation poisoning (PRP), which causes obsessive madness due to the effects of Pp on the human brain.

Phail Particles
Phail particles (Pp [sic]) are particles that occur naturally all throughout the universe in an extremely low concentration. However, the occur in more useful concentrations in Phail materials (Such as Phailgas, Phailrock, and Phailinite).

The effect of Pp is easily visible as the suspension of normal physics, allowing contradictory or illogical events or actions to occur. Examples include an ice sculpture contest in an active volcano, successful use of video remotes on human beings, and faulty business decisions proving financially successful.

The precise function of a Pp is disputed, and heavily hindered by the lack of numerical or analytical data regarding it. Several theories are able to discern how they perform their effects, but none have yet been able to successfully and conclusively rationalise the coherence with which they function.
Last edited by Lyinginbedmon on 03 Sep 2008, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 03 Sep 2008, 13:30

As a Phailogist (Phail Scientist), I can agree with these findings.

And that's a definition you can aid, Phailogists, those who studie Phail and theorize its nature and effects.

Furthermore, effects of Phail and mentions of Phail have been in the LRR movies:

All the Little people
Installation Anxiety
A sacred Duty
A little TOO Human (Phail induced craze of Kathleen)
Emergency situation
Bioshocked
Keytars
Rebellin' (Those gel insoles must contain Phail of some sort)
Daylight Savings (Maybe a mining accident releasing a cloud of Phail gas)
Dinosaur
Nuntastic
Out of Sync
Schrodinger's Fridge
The mirror (The multiple dimension traveling Phail theorie would explain this, however the traveling back at will is a little strange)

I might have missed some but this seems about it.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Sep 2008, 14:19

Dutch guy wrote:Furthermore, effects of Phail and mentions of Phail have been in the LRR movies:

All the Little people
Installation Anxiety
A sacred Duty
A little TOO Human (Phail induced craze of Kathleen)
Emergency situation
Bioshocked
Keytars
Rebellin' (Those gel insoles must contain Phail of some sort)
Daylight Savings (Maybe a mining accident releasing a cloud of Phail gas)
Dinosaur
Nuntastic

Out of Sync
Schrodinger's Fridge
The mirror (The multiple dimension traveling Phail theorie would explain this, however the traveling back at will is a little strange)

I've highlighted the ones I'd dispute. We either can't account for some of the events the video is listed for with Phail (Paul normally is as he behaves in Bioshocked, Installation Anxiety was definite mania.) or I need more data, like why Nuntastic and Dinosaur are listed (The latter does not seem to evade natural convention, given the book on dinosaurs, the former is Kathleen acting as she is normally considered to, ala Bioshocked Paul).
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Sep 2008, 14:41

With the videos involving Paul/taking place mainly from his perspective, it is possible that his insanity is due to the Pp given off by his Phailinite ring building up, since he seems to be more insane in the more recent videos than the older ones. However, as we have little knowledge and experience with pre-LRR Paul, and he has been carrying the Phailinite ring with him since then, we need more information before we can say what was caused by the Phail, and what was caused by "normal"-Paul.

Events such as those in installation Anxiety can be linked to the presence of Phail due to what would normally consider impossibilities (such as installing Linux on a toilet). However events such as those in "All the Little People" and "Bioshocked" are impossible to link to Phail at this point, as the only evidence we have is Paul's behavior. Without physical evidence, we cannot link something to Phail.

Emergency Situation may have been a military-prototype Phail-reactor, but without a follow-up/prequel video or Word of LRRd, we do not know for sure (Although the behaviour of the Colonels would seem consistent with that of Phail exposure, we do not have anything to compare their behavior to, and thus we cannot say for certain).

The Mirror looks to be your standard-issue dimensional portal, and the consistency of function when dealing with it (such as being able to travel back through it) further disproves the idea that Phail was used in it's construction. So in my professional opinion, it was not a Phailnomenon.

Dinosaur was just...odd. While an anomaly, and certainly hilarious, again, there is no evidence of Phail being involved. Same with Nuntastic, there has being absolutely no evidence thus far linking Kathleen with any known sources of Phail, and her logic is perfectly followable. I do not believe Phail was involved in either of those incidents.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Sep 2008, 14:53

Sorry for the double post, but I just had an idea completely unrelated to the above post.

I just thought of a way for Phailparticles to both increase and decrease entropy at the same time. It decreases and/or reverses entropy within a localized area, but that is counteracted by increased chaos (that is not proportional to the amount entropy was decreased by according to any known formula. Basically the chaos is increased by e^x, where "e" is the amount of change in entropy, and "x" is completely random). The question is where and how this vastly increased entropy is manifested and how. It is possible that it is forced along the temporal axis (so the chaos exists in the past. How that effects us depends on whether you use a single-timeline, or infinite world model of time travel, or one made up on the spot by the Phail), or it ups the rate of the increase in entropy everywhere in the universe at once outside of the bubble of Pp. Either way, excessive use of Phail will likely result in drastically shortening the remaining lifespan of of the universe. Or cause the timeline to unravel, destroying the universe instantly (effectively the same thing).
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Sep 2008, 15:17

Wow, we've spanned a page and a half almost discussing the physics and properties of Phail...

Back to the timeline now maybe? Since we've got a dedicated location on the Wiki (Which can have it's own discussion page) now, we can foxhole it away there.

That said though, I think we'll need more video material to add to the timeline or enhance it's precision. Any suggestions are, as always, welcome. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”