Which to buy PS3, Wii, or 360?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JoeNewberry
First Video: Rejected "Get a Mac" Ads

Postby JoeNewberry » 02 Sep 2008, 22:43

Thanks for all the comments. This is definitely the kind of discussion I was hoping to find. You're not all just bickering with one another. CyberTractor's list definitely gives me something to go on. It's slightly skewed by the fact that the 360 has about three times as many games as the PS3.

I guess I should fill out my own situation a little more. I didn't want to make the original post any longer than it was for fear no one would read it.

I already own an Atari 2600 and 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex, SMS, NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, a MAME cabinet, and a PS2. So I could just spend my money on some games I haven't played for the PS2, but I thought for a change I'd buy a system while it was still popular instead of waiting till it's in a bargain bin at a pawn shop. Oh, and I'm actually kind of poor. That's a collection cultivated through yard sales and hand me downs mostly, not being wealthy. If I had lots of money I'd just buy all three and not bother you guys with the question. If I'm going to buy one of these new systems at close to full price, I want to get the one that will provide me the most benefit for the dollar in gameplay and performance. Primarily gameplay. I enjoy lots of different kinds of games, but I really like something like KoTOR or Chrono Cross with a good, long story.

I have a 720p/1080i HDTV with a 5.1 sound system. I don't have a Blu-Ray player currently, just a regular DVD player with upscaling.

I do like Zelda and Mario, by the way. I just don't know if I can justify buying a Wii just to play Mario Kart and the new Zelda, though. I tried the Mario Galaxy game and it didn't feel that good to me for the brief time I played it. It's kind of like how I won't buy a Gamecube just to play Eternal Darkness. I love that game, but I can't buy another console just for it.

Maybe I should just resist the urge to be current and hold off till after the coming Christmas season?
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 02 Sep 2008, 23:07

Christmas is probably the worst time to buy a new system. The system you are looking for will most likely be cheaper, but also a lot harder to find because of consumer demand.

Honestly, I say stick with your PS2 for now. There are dozens of great games I'm sure you have never even heard of. I have quite a good collection of games for PS2, so I can give you a comprehensive list of what a lot of games are like and which ones you might find interesting.

Being a current-gen gamer means you can play games online while they're popular, but I'm not a fan of multiplayer (I like playing by myself. I don't have to share items and there isn't a competition.) so I'm not influenced by that as much.
I can't think of a signature.
JoeNewberry

Postby JoeNewberry » 02 Sep 2008, 23:28

CyberTractor wrote:Christmas is probably the worst time to buy a new system. The system you are looking for will most likely be cheaper, but also a lot harder to find because of consumer demand.

True. However, I am not afraid to brave a Black Friday sale or two to get something at a good price.

Honestly, I say stick with your PS2 for now. There are dozens of great games I'm sure you have never even heard of. I have quite a good collection of games for PS2, so I can give you a comprehensive list of what a lot of games are like and which ones you might find interesting.

I am willing to take you up on that, regardless of whether I choose a new system or not. Most of the PS2 games I've purchased were done so on the basis of friend's recommendations, so I'd very much appreciate a list like that.

Being a current-gen gamer means you can play games online while they're popular, but I'm not a fan of multiplayer (I like playing by myself. I don't have to share items and there isn't a competition.) so I'm not influenced by that as much.

Online doesn't interest me either. I don't need to download classic games because I already have most of them on the original systems. I don't want to social network because I can do that on my regular Internet connection. I don't like to play online because there always has to be one real jerk ruining the fun for everyone else.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 05 Sep 2008, 22:06

build urself a pc
more games, better games, better graphics, and less annoying screaming little kids

but if u HAVE to get a console id say a ps3 or 360
the price of the 360 just did drop so u can get one for cheap now
JoeNewberry

Postby JoeNewberry » 05 Sep 2008, 22:47

I'm beginning to lean towards the 360 because it has a larger selection of games. I'd like to try Dead Rising in particular.

The Wii is looking more promising because there is all this talk about it having sold so well that game developers were giving it more attention and considering bringing out a lot more titles for it, like Dead Rising for instance.

On the "keep the PS2 and get more games for it" front I was looking at buying Final Fantasy X.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 06 Sep 2008, 01:15

after owning a wii for about 6 months, i can tell you as an avid nintendo fan, that it is a piece of shit. you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll say "wtf" but only for 5 minutes per game. there is not a single game with any replay value in it. sure, they're releasing a lot of crazy japanese games that only the phailed sega would have handled, but the majority of these you can play on DS and they even seem to have better graphics. i too have been toying with the idea of a next gen console, but it seems the best thing to do right now is to get a PS3 AND a 360. of course, not everyone (especially me) can do this, so i personally am just gonna stick with my PC and playing a few games on friends machines until something slightly more balanced in games comes out. unless you're hardcore set on halo 3 or MGS4, there's really nothing that great you can't get on PC, anyway.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 07 Sep 2008, 22:35

masamune wrote:there's really nothing that great you can't get on PC, anyway.

Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 4. Seriously the reasons why I'm considering buying a next generation console.

You're American, yes? FL = Florida? Then go with the 360 just because for Americans it's the best system price\performance\games wise.

Anyone in a PAL region though or get anally raped on prices (AUSTRALIA)? I'd recommend a PS3 just because their games aren't region locked, which makes the extra $350 you pay for the PS3 worth it 'cause you can save tonnes by getting stuff imported or buy it off amazon and Ebay.

Note for Aussies: Not to mention you can get stuff earlier than our country by getting it imported. :P

There's all ways buy a console second hand if you really wanna save every cent you can, what's wrong with a few scratches here and there? Most of them are in pretty damned good nick.

Edit: If you're REALLY strapped for cash, PS2's are all ways awesome fun. ^.^ I've got one (The bulky one) and a Playstation (Original), I happen to think they're both brilliantly awesome and fun consoles. :)

Addendum: I've got a mate who's a Nintendo fanboy, it took him about 8 months to tire of the Wii. He's now really, REALLY over it and barely touches the thing. He actually regrets gettting it now and wishes he'd gotten a PS3.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 07 Sep 2008, 22:46

Unlucky wrote:Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 4. Seriously the reasons why I'm considering buying a next generation console.

true, true. but i really can't justify shelling out 1k+ for the chance to play at home. i got friends who will do that. rather just buy some more tunes. plus, not much hope for guitar hero 4 ...

Return to “General Discussion”