Max Payne movie!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Vaughn

Max Payne movie!

Postby Vaughn » 02 Oct 2008, 16:01

http://www.maxpaynethemovie.com/

LOVED max payne.
This better be wicked.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
teh_sam

Postby teh_sam » 02 Oct 2008, 16:05

Max Payne is one of the greatest games ever, so I'm a little nervous about this.

If this movie sucks, I'm gonna choke a bitch.

I am Sam, Sam I am. I do not like green eggs and ham......

Will graduate college the year of the Mayan Apocalypse...yay for me.
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 02 Oct 2008, 16:06

I saw the trailer when I went to see Tropic Thunder a few weeks ago. I'll be honest: it doesn't look like it's going to do justice to the game's awesome. And the guy playing Max doesn't do it for me...just doesn't look the part.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 02 Oct 2008, 16:43

I want to play Max Payne again...
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 02 Oct 2008, 17:50

Let's face it. The only one to do Max Payne justice is William Shatner.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 02 Oct 2008, 18:18

DmitriW wrote:I saw the trailer when I went to see Tropic Thunder a few weeks ago. I'll be honest: it doesn't look like it's going to do justice to the game's awesome. And the guy playing Max doesn't do it for me...just doesn't look the part.

I know, I saw the trailer a few weeks ago too, though when watching a different movie.

I dunno. I played Max Payne sooooooo long ago and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had on my computer. I'm not too hyped for the movie after seeing the trailer...
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 Oct 2008, 04:54

DmitriW wrote:I saw the trailer when I went to see Tropic Thunder a few weeks ago. I'll be honest: it doesn't look like it's going to do justice to the game's awesome. And the guy playing Max doesn't do it for me...just doesn't look the part.

Meh, try this teaser. It looks like in these shots Mr. Wahlberg is at least trying to look like the poorly-skinned Sami Lake from the game by frowning a lot. ;)

I think he'll be fine for me - it HAS to be better than the game. Despite its wonderful awesomeness, the skinning job (limited by the tech of the time) had me thinking Max was always straining to...er, do something... :roll:
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 03 Oct 2008, 12:58

I still want to see the PoP movie they keep saying is in the works.
Now there's a game with an entertaining, compelling story and a three-dimensional main character. What's more, the time-distortion mechanic could make action scenes really awesome if done right.
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 03 Oct 2008, 16:19

Involves...Demons...

Whaaaa?
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Gregor E

Postby Gregor E » 03 Oct 2008, 16:30

The trailer makes me think someone wrote the screenplay after watching the intro clip from Max Payne, and skimming through a couple reviews on gamefaqs.com.

"Valkyr, eh? Sounds to me like you don't know how to spell valkyrie! Let's throw some vague interpretations of valkyries into it! Of course, nobody knows anything about mythology, so let's just make 'em demons.

Wait, it's a drug? That's not something we can blow several million dollars in our special effects budget on! Stick with the demons. Nobody's played this game in, like, five years, they'll never know the difference."

This looks like it's staying just a little more faithful to the source material than the Constantine movie.
teh_sam

Postby teh_sam » 04 Oct 2008, 07:14

Zed Alpha wrote:Involves...Demons...

Whaaaa?

My friends and I were talking, we think those could be the nightmare sequences.....hopefully

I am Sam, Sam I am. I do not like green eggs and ham......

Will graduate college the year of the Mayan Apocalypse...yay for me.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 04 Oct 2008, 09:16

I was just looking at the credits on the Max Payne page at IMDB.

Nelly Furtado ... Christa Balder

Roflroflrofl. Nelly Furtado has a small part apparently. =P This is too hilarious.
Joystick Hero

Postby Joystick Hero » 04 Oct 2008, 09:18

Gregor E wrote:"Valkyr, eh? Sounds to me like you don't know how to spell valkyrie! Let's throw some vague interpretations of valkyries into it! Of course, nobody knows anything about mythology, so let's just make 'em demons.

Wait, it's a drug? That's not something we can blow several million dollars in our special effects budget on! Stick with the demons. Nobody's played this game in, like, five years, they'll never know the difference."

This looks like it's staying just a little more faithful to the source material than the Constantine movie.

I dunno, the original had a ton of references to Norse Mythology in it. As long as the demons stay as imagery and never are actually there, it COULD work out. I'm pessimistic though.
SilentBobCDN

Postby SilentBobCDN » 04 Oct 2008, 20:34

I was somewhat excited about this, until I found out that its PG13.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm waiting for Punisher: Warzone to come out on dvd.
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 04 Oct 2008, 20:36

teh_sam wrote:

Whaaaa?

My friends and I were talking, we think those could be the nightmare sequences.....hopefully

My friends and I were hoping the same thing. However...not likely. :(
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 05 Oct 2008, 00:59

What the hell is Major General Hank Landry doing there?! WHO IS RUNNING THE SGC?!
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 05 Oct 2008, 01:18

dark_realm wrote:What the hell is Major General Hank Landry doing there?! WHO IS RUNNING THE SGC?!

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the trailer, man. My theory is that General Hammond's ghost has re-asserted himself as commander of the SGC.
SilentBobCDN

Postby SilentBobCDN » 05 Oct 2008, 01:28

K, just watched the trailer again.

1. didnt expect either Ludacris or Mila Kunis to be in this movie.

2. Looks like Constantine mixed with the general background story for Punisher, with a weaker looking main character. (say what you want about Constantine, I thought Keanu fit the role)

3. I guess its not yet rated. I could have sworn it was pg13... Yeah, article in imdb says it is.

Yeah, I don't recall much about the game, but I'm not excited about this anymore.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 05 Oct 2008, 03:56

DmitriW wrote:I was wondering the same thing when I saw the trailer, man. My theory is that General Hammond's ghost has re-asserted himself as commander of the SGC.

Quite possible.. but i think Jack would of just stepped in cause he was bored and wanted to go off world again or Elizabeth Weir is there cause the military are going public with the stargate program..

CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 05 Oct 2008, 04:30

DmitriW wrote:
teh_sam wrote:

Whaaaa?

My friends and I were hoping the same thing. However...not likely. :(

Yeah, because no writer or director ever uses artistic license or imagery anymore (drug-user hallucinations, anyone?) even if the source material made reference to same, and the writer of the source material is one of the two creators of the screenplay?

You all are so discouragingly pessimistic that...

*thinks*

Oh, wait; I forgot what I always say: "It's better to be a pessimist proven wrong than an optimist proven wrong." Carry on! :)

EDIT: Heh; I just had a thought; what if the 'Valkyries' turn out to be just that: symbolism for the drug and imagined visions of the distorted minds under its influence? I'd wager there's be a whole raft of complaints on IMDb and RottenTomatoes and the like from teenage boys: "I saw the trailer and thought: cool, winged demons that mind-control people and...<blah-blah> and when I saw it, they were just stupid hallucinations! What a rip-off!!! ;)
Joystick Hero

Postby Joystick Hero » 05 Oct 2008, 08:44

empath wrote:Heh; I just had a thought; what if the 'Valkyries' turn out to be just that: symbolism for the drug and imagined visions of the distorted minds under its influence?

This is exactly what I hope it is.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Oct 2008, 08:53

empath wrote: Heh; I just had a thought; what if the 'Valkyries' turn out to be just that: symbolism for the drug and imagined visions of the distorted minds under its influence?

Two things appear to make this unlikely. First, the prominence of them in the trailer (there's like, a lot of them). Secondly, the fact that in one scene a valkyrie physically pulls someone out a window. In the words of noted film director Uwe Boll, "It's a creature movie".
Of course, this is a trailer, so predicting the content of the actual movie from it is... problematic at best.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 05 Oct 2008, 10:52

I'm looking forward to this movie.

I just recently played Max Payne for the first time and really enjoyed it, and other than Mark Wahlberg being in it I think it looks decent.

And I'm pretty sure the Valkyries ARE an analog for the drug. The drug made him throw himself out the window. They've even included Max on his trip.

If anything the movie looks pretty and I'll definitely go see it. Just from the trailer it's quite clear it's not the worst video game movie out there.
Gregor E

Postby Gregor E » 05 Oct 2008, 15:18

The aforementioned PG-13 rating makes me think that it won't stay true to the gritty, brutal nature of the game, which is kinda crucial in my opinion.

The "Valkyries" could indeed be part of a dream/hallucination sequence, but I think the possessed baby blocks of the game worked much better. Also, I'm going to be a little annoyed if they try to explain bullet time, which doesn't seem to play a prominent role, if the trailer's any indicator.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll eventually go see it anyway. But, as per empath's post, I'm sticking with the pessimism.
Joystick Hero

Postby Joystick Hero » 05 Oct 2008, 21:54

metcarfre wrote:
empath wrote: Heh; I just had a thought; what if the 'Valkyries' turn out to be just that: symbolism for the drug and imagined visions of the distorted minds under its influence?

Secondly, the fact that in one scene a valkyrie physically pulls someone out a window.

Maybe he wasn't pulled at all. Perhaps he was hit and crashed through the window, at which part the symbolism takes effect. I've seen the trailer a few times now, and the Valkyrie isn't on the inside of the building at any time, but it's there once he's through the glass.

I'm just saying, don't count out symbolism yet.

Return to “General Discussion”