How do you name your computers?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
spartanhelmet

How do you name your computers?

Postby spartanhelmet » 06 Oct 2008, 04:49

I was going to post this thread in the morning, but I only remembered now thanks to the "How'd you get your name?" thread.

I'm planning on buying a couple of computers, a new router and modem.. so I figure a naming convention is what I need. Since so far I've gone the usual route of boring names with no connection.

So I ask all you LRRites.. how have (or would) you name your stuff? Both out of curiosity, and for some inspiration.
Cheeseonfire

Postby Cheeseonfire » 06 Oct 2008, 04:58

After gundams from Gundam wing.
My dekstop is Gundam wing.
My laptop is Death Scythe
My wifi network is Tallgeese.

Edit: Now that I'm less busy.
Thinkpad running Oracle Linux is Heavy Arms
HP running Vista is Sandrock
Compaq Armada running Opensuse is Shenlong
Compaq Armada running FreeBSD/Archlinux is Epyon
Generic Compaq desktop running XP is Virgo II
The network extender is Vayeate
Dell running Red Hat 5 is Tragos
Blackberry World Edition is Olifant
Flashdrive is Maganac
Portable harddrive is Serpent
Last edited by Cheeseonfire on 06 Oct 2008, 12:01, edited 2 times in total.
I'm still trying to figure out why someone didn't tell me how awesome Muse is.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Oct 2008, 05:13

My house has:

Washu (My desktop computer)
Bio (Short for Biorachs, my laptop)
Sven & John (My parents' office computers)
Ace & Acer (My parents' office laptops, twins)

We don't really have a naming convention as such, we just give them a name that suits them and is appropriate.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 06 Oct 2008, 05:33

Definitely better than mine so far... I've always had one desktop, so it's never been an opportunity to do much naming.

Considering I'm wanting to buy two nice, cheap tower case PC's to go along with my trusty laptop I've had all year, I now have plenty of naming opportunity coming up. Soon I'll have the setup I've wanted for ages... A 24/7 box, a dedicated gaming box and my laptop of necessity.

Keep 'em coming. I'll absorb some inspiration in the morning instead of giving full attention to my lecture :)
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Oct 2008, 05:44

Well, when I only had one PC, I gave it a 'workstation name' of "HOME".

Then when that one died and a friend was looking into fixing things for me, I got another one that was named 'empath'.

After the first got refurbished and was tasked to be the wife's PC; we renamed them for our first names.

...I'm unimaginative, aren't I? :)
sevey

Postby sevey » 06 Oct 2008, 05:49

Philosophers
WaffleIronMan wrote:They all look the same in the dark...unless they're fat
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Pregnant?

Postby Shandi » 06 Oct 2008, 05:58

Mine have always been after beloved screen characters. The first one was Dino (a dinosaur of a desktop) and my first laptop was Pedro.

The one I'm on now is Juno. If you want a slightly better explanation on that last one, or a laugh, check out my website. I still haven't updated it since buying this notebook, so it's up there and hopefully worth a laugh:
http://www.shandilliahosen.bravehost.com
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 06 Oct 2008, 06:09

You name your computers?
Weird.
Well, I suppose if I had more than one it might make sense. My friend Dan has, like, a wall of them. "How's that iMac doing? No, not that one. the other, other one."
Naming things after philosophers is always a good call, but I'd probably name them after characters from one of my favourite books. A Douglas Coupland novel, or a Kurt Vonnegut. Conversely, I could follow the naming convention of printers at UVic and name tham after Calvin & Hobbes characters (which pretty much means philosophers anyways).
Anyways I only have one laptop, so it's simply called "the computer", or more colloquially "lappy".
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 06 Oct 2008, 06:27

When I dropped my hard drive, and it survived, I afterwards christened it "Buster."

My PC doesn't have a name, but my Macintosh I named "Fleetwood."

I got a very old-ass laptop that someone unwisely put XP on. The thing barely runs, so I named it "ChittyChittyBangBang."

My brother has a computer with no hard drive that he wants to run some kind of Linux off the CD. I called it the "Terry Schiavo Machine."
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 06 Oct 2008, 06:32

The machines at work are named after ships that were at the Battle of Leyte Gulf in group Taffy 3 during the Battle Off Samar (one of those real-life Moments of Badassery) that were named after places in Alaska. Fairly specific, but it's a pretty good naming convention.

Email server - Glacier Bay
Web server - Kitkun Bay
Inventory Control - Gambier Bay
Accounting - Fanshaw Bay
DNS/DHCP/VPN - Kalinin Bay

Most of my computers at home are named after women of one sort or another.

Powerbook G4 - Serenity
Macbook Pro - Thirteen
Macbook - River
Rebuilt Desktop - Lazarus (A notable exception, since it 'rose from the grave')
Ancient Toshiba - Astarte
Old gaming Sager - Rayne

Originally this post had a link to the Wikipedia article about the Battle Off Samar in the first paragraph. However, if I left the url-code in there, the entire post vanished. I don't know why!
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 06 Oct 2008, 06:40

Sable wrote:Macbook Pro - Thirteen

I'm guessing that's the House character,since I don't know any other Thirteen, but either way, I'll be reminded of Olivia Wilde now-on whenever I see a pro-book :)

And thanks for that lulzy page, Shandi. The pic was an awesome in-joke, hehe.

Depending on how my search for a naming scheme goes, I might do it in a community involving way. If I was to have my boxes named after LRR videos (or lines from/characters of/etc) then I could take votes, and enact for great justice for the LRRd. Don't get your hopes up and stop posting... I still want to hear some more of the random and imaginative names, kthnx.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 06 Oct 2008, 06:51

spartanhelmet wrote:
Sable wrote:Macbook Pro - Thirteen

I'm guessing that's the House character,since I don't know any other Thirteen, but either way, I'll be reminded of Olivia Wilde now-on whenever I see a pro-book :)

And thanks for that lulzy page, Shandi. The pic was an awesome in-joke, hehe.

Depending on how my search for a naming scheme goes, I might do it in a community involving way. If I was to have my boxes named after LRR videos (or lines from/characters of/etc) then I could take votes, and enact for great justice for the LRRd. Don't get your hopes up and stop posting... I still want to hear some more of the random and imaginative names, kthnx.

Yes, it's the House character. :)
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 06 Oct 2008, 06:52

Since I only have one computer, I named it after what it was for; My business, Kawaii caps. Hence, Kawaii Laptop.
Though my mini DV tapes and memory cards are a little different. I named them all after food.
Cheddar and bacon perogies
Ebi tenpura
Shepards pie

Also my mp3 player is named Strawberry french toast, and the memory card for it is Icing sugar. Cause it's the icing that makes it just that much better.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 06 Oct 2008, 07:04

I name them after what I'm interested in, I have had computers named:

Borg64 (it ran windows XP X64 and I'm a startrek geek)
Tardis and another one called Tardis64 (they are laptops and I'm also a Dr Who fan)
Undead64 (rebuilt Borg64, the motherboard died on me)
Ragnarok (come on, a Norse story about the gods and just about everyone else being wired out and out of the whole mess 2 survivors repopulate the earth, amazing story)
Tetra-vaal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtQ4ZrXY9ns it was done using CGI graphics, and it's quite amazing. the director of this short video has done 2 other short videos I enjoyed, and 1 commerical.

I am giving thought to names of various ancient gods for my next build, that should be sometime in 2009, hopefully my criteria for a name of a god is next to impossible for me to find.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 06 Oct 2008, 07:31

I don't really have any kind of naming convention. I usually just pick a first name that I like: my desktop is Zachary and my laptop is Patrick II (because the first Patrick died and got replaced with an identical one on warranty).

My last desktop was Farseer Spylot Protector III, based on the name of a pair of binoculars belonging to a character in a Wesley Chestersonstory I wrote.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 Oct 2008, 07:42

Final Fantasy Enemies/Summons:

iMac G5 - Shiva
MacBook - Odin
External Hard Drives - Cactuar, Behemoth, Malboro, Ifrit
Wii - Ramuh
iPod - Tonberry
iPhone - Master Tonberry

(I also have two small flash drives I named Puff Goo and Eye Goo, but that's Breath of Fire III. Puff Goo defends!)
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 06 Oct 2008, 07:53

I have a lame naming convention:

Home PC: Wilson's HQ
Ipod: Wilson's iPod
cell: Wilson
and so on

the only one that escaped from this is my laptop and that's because it's a work laptop, so it has to have a name from the job.
RhysIsCoolerThanMudkips

Postby RhysIsCoolerThanMudkips » 06 Oct 2008, 07:57

I've always named mine after my celebrities, but when my computers started dying along with said celbrities careers, i decided a different tactic was necessary.

So i started naming them after things that scare people... and are tangible things.

Arachnid (My desktop)
Clown (My Macbook)
Flaming Jumbo Jet (My alienware)
Last but not least; Paris hilton (My Ipod)

I know an ipod isn't really classified as a computer but Graham put his on so i figure why not.

Oh, and my cell phones names is optimus prime
i will eat you unhappiness
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 06 Oct 2008, 08:06

I have one computer. I name it Cake. After me.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 06 Oct 2008, 08:21

i just use the name of whose pc it is. makes for easier networking. this one is called shitbox, though.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 06 Oct 2008, 08:48

Desktop (Linux) omega
Desktop (XP) omega prime
Laptop phi
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 06 Oct 2008, 09:55

my old powerbook was Silvester, and my macbook is named Sammie... it just seemed to fit... i have no reason for calling either one that...

on another note, by friend had one of those huge laptops that are basically a small desktop, and he put pink bows on it and named it "fluffums"... dont know why
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 06 Oct 2008, 10:01

Currently working with my aptly named Black Omen.

It's both a tribute to Chrono Trigger, as well as being accurate in describing the sheer black color scheme, as well as being accurate regarding the bleak circumstances that surrounded its building and debugging for the first month or so of its life. It was a non-stop chore to get this thing running smooth, but now it's a beast.

Previous system names include M-PU, referenced from Cowboy Bebop, Vector Control, referencing nothing in particular, and Galileo way back when.

~Alja~
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 06 Oct 2008, 10:23

I use whatever names come to me during formatting, unless the drive has a specific purpose:

Macbook Internal: 2 partitions: Pandora & Personal
External HDD: 3 partitions: Backup (for Time Machine), Zarathustra (for Mac), & GLAISTIG (for Fat16 Windows/Mac transfer)

Edited for grammar
Last edited by the amativeness on 06 Oct 2008, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 06 Oct 2008, 10:44

Super Mario Enemies

iMac: Thwomp
iMac's Windows drive: Urchin
iBook: Thwimp

The nice thing about using Mario enemies is, not only is there an inexhaustible supply, but you also get built-in icons for the drives.

I think it says something about my relationship with Mac and Windows, that I have had my Windows computer for 7 years and have never bothered to name it.

Return to “General Discussion”