And you thought Scientology was just something to laugh at.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

And you thought Scientology was just something to laugh at.

Postby Sieg Reyu » 10 Oct 2008, 21:14

It is 100% true and honest. watch it all the way through.

http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/
Last edited by Sieg Reyu on 11 Oct 2008, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 10 Oct 2008, 21:19

Uh huh.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 10 Oct 2008, 21:38

me that what that?
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 10 Oct 2008, 21:44

But is it actually true?
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 10 Oct 2008, 21:50

that was kind of creepy...but I'm always a bit skeptical about things like this.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 10 Oct 2008, 22:02

Ummmm.... okay.... *couch*
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 10 Oct 2008, 22:07

Frozengale wrote:that was kind of creepy...but I'm always a bit skeptical about things like this.
References at end of thing.
Image Image Image
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 10 Oct 2008, 22:09

Pretty ice cold material.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 10 Oct 2008, 23:02

Reread the title of this thread please.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 10 Oct 2008, 23:04

If you ever see the scientology 'ministry' tent at a fair or exhibition (they were at the PNE last year doing "stress tests" - basically screening tests for the weak minded for them to pursue further), demand to see their minister's license. In Canada you HAVE to have one to do that crap. It's to prevent cults from doing... basically what they do.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 11 Oct 2008, 00:54

^

Yet another reason I think the Canadian legislature and judiciary are top quality.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 11 Oct 2008, 00:58

they take money from dumb people! oh no! everyone protest by giving all your money to the dumbest person you know, wich would be youself if you were actually considering it.

but seriously, you should be praising scientology for preforming this public service of making the dumb also poor.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 11 Oct 2008, 01:03

Sieg Reyu wrote:
Frozengale wrote:that was kind of creepy...but I'm always a bit skeptical about things like this.

Thank you, I know how to read a reference page. But I can still be skeptical. Believing things just because they have references is kind of a stupid thing. Maybe it's just because I'm Mormon so I have to deal with a lot of crap like this, but I'm always skeptical about anti-propaganda. Not that I like Scientology or anything, I think they are horrible people that don't deserve anything let alone your money and time.

If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 11 Oct 2008, 03:50

First of all, "A fool and his money are soon separated."

Second of all, when did the LRR forums become grounds for religion bashing? While I agree with no teachings of the Church of Scientology, I do believe it is their right to let them worship how, where, or what they may.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 11 Oct 2008, 04:24

You've got to remember that Scientology isn't a mainstream religion perse. It was a pyramid scheme perpetuating the appearance of one.

Religion is dangerous ground to tread on because of "the right" to worship which is without limit to decent practice... and I draw the line at tolerance to this downright evil shit that goes down in the world by the name of a god, group of deities or a mongrel like Hubbard.

Might I point out that I have no qualms over the peaceful practice of religious lifestyle, though I am Atheist. One of my best amigos has a Catholic mother and a Scientologist father. I can look them both in the eye without bashing their beliefs, and I can see they're good people. It's always the establishments that wreak havoc.
empath

Postby empath » 11 Oct 2008, 04:57

Evil Jim wrote:Fix the title of this thread please.

Fix'd, although I'm sure it's more of a hassle to do than anyone (including me) cares.

Anyway, to skirt the fringe of a potential quagmire of a religious thread:

You've got to remember that Scientology isn't a mainstream religion per se. It was a pyramid scheme perpetuating the appearance of one.

Well, just remember the "buy treatments to purify your soul from the ancient nukes aliens set off" isn't that different from "buy indulgences to get your deceased relatives 'upgraded' from purgatory to heaven".

That said, the latter con was perpetrated quite some time ago and you can believe that either:
a) Mother Church wised up to the actions of some of its corrupt members, punished them and forbade this sort of thing ever again, or
b) No con can be prolonged forever and eventually the grifters had to shut it down.

In short, all I can really say here is this: my personal beliefs pretty much coincide with Judeo-Christian teachings; I like to think I've taken from my CofE upbringing and adapted it to something that suits me.

Yes, I put `Christian`down on forms. But I`ll tell you something else:

I don`t go to church, and object to ANYONE who tells me that I *have* to go through THEM to get to MY god.

That can be fine for anyone else - no problem here to be part of a greater theocratic organization - but I do not personally accept ANY organized religious hierarchy.
meta me

Postby meta me » 11 Oct 2008, 05:42

that sound a lot like a conspiracy theory to me. and even if that is reel and not taken out of context there is nothing there that other mainstream religions have not done in the past
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 11 Oct 2008, 05:48

empath wrote:I don`t go to church, and object to ANYONE who tells me that I *have* to go through THEM to get to MY god.

That can be fine for anyone else - no problem here to be part of a greater theocratic organization - but I do not personally accept ANY organized religious hierarchy.

I'm noticing a lot of Christians and spiritual people in general who are thinking this way now. I'm proud of you guys, hehe.

Unless the Pope, Miscaviege and the myriad of Grand Ayatollahs figure out an attractively priced religion-at-home service with a pay-per-month system, all these institutions are bound to break up.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 11 Oct 2008, 06:09

Speaking as a Christian church is a vital part of the Christian life, however, not because you need church to find God. But church is needed to worship God - not to find him.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 11 Oct 2008, 07:09

Charlie pretty much has it--the point of going to church as a Christian is not because going to church is how you get saved, but because if you believe in God then you should want to spend time with likeminded people and show it publically.

Actually, quoting the Bible could explain it better. Church has two main purposes:

James 1:27 -- "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

So in other words, going to church (i.e. organized religion) is there to (1) help the church mobilize for social justice and to (2) help Christians keep each other strong in their relationship with God.

Christianity doesn't claim that "Religion" is how you get to heaven. You get to heaven by accepting Jesus' death and resurrection and worshipping God. And you can do that without Religion.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 11 Oct 2008, 07:52

wow that was...
disturbing....
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 11 Oct 2008, 10:47

This is EXACTLY what I've been talking about around here. Remember our last conversation? The reasons I feel o.k. with bashing Scientology, but not any other religions is that if you go to the SOURCE of most religions, the holy texts, the guiding philosophys, and the people who founded them, you will generally find very moral, redeeming teachings. Granted, there are going to be a lot of people who corrupt those teachings and use them as an excuse to do horrible things, as had been done with Christianity. But, if you look at the source, you find goodness.

This is not the case with Scientology. You can go directly to the teachings of their founder, L. Ron Hubbard, and find absolutely atrocious things. Look at the beginning of that vid that the OP linked.

You can find a lot of horrible things done in the name of God, whatever. You can find abortion clinics blown up by nut-bags claiming to do God's work. But the words of Christ himself are love your neighbor and love your enemy. The words of Hubbard are that anyone who criticises you is fair game, and should be silenced at all costs.

Tell me you're a Jew. A Muslim. A Hindu. A Wiccan. Whatever. I'm not going to bash your religion.

Scientology is not a religion. It's a money-sucking, greed-based cult founded by a treasonous pedophile and carried out by ethicless greed-mongers.
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 11 Oct 2008, 11:02

Frozengale wrote:
Sieg Reyu wrote:

Thank you, I know how to read a reference page. But I can still be skeptical. Believing things just because they have references is kind of a stupid thing. Maybe it's just because I'm Mormon so I have to deal with a lot of crap like this, but I'm always skeptical about anti-propaganda. Not that I like Scientology or anything, I think they are horrible people that don't deserve anything let alone your money and time.

*sigh*

The idea is not "can you read the references" the idea is "CHECK THE FREAKING REFERENCES" chances are they can be vetted from a thousand and one sources. If it's all propaganda, then someone is out there forging police reports, jury indictments, prison records, medial records, autopsy reports, etc.

OH NOES! I see what's really happening here! Scientologists are heroes who are trying to warn us! WE'VE BEEN INFILTRATED BY AGENTS OF XENU!!!

I had a couple of Mormons visit me the other day. They really shouldn't go into black neighborhoods unless they're willing and able to discuss the reasoning behind the churche's refusal (until a couple decades ago) to allow black people to be pastors. It REALLY damages their attempts to convince black people that they're following a profit.
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 11 Oct 2008, 11:07

Cake wrote:First of all, "A fool and his money are soon separated."

Second of all, when did the LRR forums become grounds for religion bashing?

It's not a religion. It's a cult.

Cake wrote:While I agree with no teachings of the Church of Scientology, I do believe it is their right to let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Great. Now how about you do me a real big favor, and point out to me WHERE exactly anyone said anything about worshiping. Scientologists don't worship anyone or anything except the all-mighty dollar. They recruit the mentally ill, pull them from their bases of support and/or the qualified professionals that are working with them, and replace their medicine with fucking vitamins. They infiltrate the government. They harass people. They frame people for crimes. THEY FREAKING KILL PEOPLE.

This has nothing to do with worship.
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 11 Oct 2008, 11:07

Cake wrote:First of all, "A fool and his money are soon separated."

Second of all, when did the LRR forums become grounds for religion bashing?

It's not a religion. It's a cult.

Cake wrote:While I agree with no teachings of the Church of Scientology, I do believe it is their right to let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Great. Now how about you do me a real big favor, and point out to me WHERE exactly anyone said anything about worshiping. Scientologists don't worship anyone or anything except the all-mighty dollar. They recruit the mentally ill, pull them from their bases of support and/or the qualified professionals that are working with them, and replace their medicine with fucking vitamins. They infiltrate the government. They harass people. They frame people for crimes. THEY FREAKING KILL PEOPLE.

This has nothing to do with worship.
-Wraith

Return to “General Discussion”