Why Are We So Well Behaved?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: Why Are We So Well Behaved?

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 24 Oct 2008, 01:46

tak197 wrote:As for the flaming and such, I only do that to people when I get really annoyed by something that someone says, or when I'm having a particularly shitty day. In regards to Corax, he sometimes rubs me the wrong way and all that, so I let him have it, but I will admit he has been quite civil and less douchebag-ey in recent times.

Plus, I see myself as an American/USAire who desperately wants to move to Canada.

Any explanations on Wraith then? I think for him it's almost an expectation that he'll start flaming someone.

On USAire intellect, I like to think there's 2 different strata of United States citizen. The ones that are the obese/idiotic/criminal/gun-toting/zealot stereotype constituents that everyone dislikes and that give the US it's international reputation and (unfortunately) seem to form the majority of it's politicians and military personnel are "USAire type A". The ones that are decently nice folks with a modicum of intelligence to realise the aforementioned type A exists and is ruining the nation and likely want to leave the country or stick it out and try to make it/hope it gets better are "USAire type B".

It's my version of Darwinian social theory, but in my experience and that of others it's disturbingly accurate.

And now we can stop talking about USAires online before we get into the topic at hand in a very hands-on way.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 24 Oct 2008, 01:51

Honestly I don't really care WHY the LRR forums are such a polite boards. I do think nationality has a lot to do with it.
Anybody hate the Dutch on the more general forums? I do, as most of my fellow Dutchmen are complete A%^Hole Douchebag C*@ts when it comes to being polite on the interwebs.

But even more interestingly I don't really think education level has that much to do with it. Sure most of us here are of a higher level (No snobbism intended), but I also frequent forums where the level is a lot lower, while the frienlyness is also on a high level. One of the things I do find is that somehow lower educated people seem to hold a personal grudge much longer.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 24 Oct 2008, 05:20

I has the best of both worlds. /me is half USAian and half Canadian. Dual citizenship ftw.

In my experience (of both running and participating) on forums, having people who know each other does help, but it comes right down to the people who are on it. I knew a guy who was fair in RL, but was a complete douche on the forum. The end result was a bastard that everyone hated. Fitting.

That being said, even if people on here have bastard side, here people at least have enough respect to keep that side restrained. Furthermore, we all have a common interest: LRR. It's the simple ties that bind.

Also: Knowing us, we're going to get into a fake flame war here just for irony's sake. :P
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Oct 2008, 13:27

Nomadic wrote:I has the best of both worlds. /me is half USAian and half Canadian. Dual citizenship ftw.

UK/Canadian Dual citizenship here. Hah.

Yeah, just felt like saying something.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Oct 2008, 13:29

I envy you Master Gunner.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 24 Oct 2008, 14:04

I came within a year of USA/UK citizenship, but the thing fell through. It's actually pretty ridiculous: I was born in London and raised in the States, and have been moving back and forth in periods of several years. If It had been the other way round, I'd probably have both by default, but as it is there's a test and I have to stay in the UK for about 6 years.
What I do have is Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 Oct 2008, 15:38

empath wrote:Um, guys...if there's one thing I can tell you for dealing with Citizenship & Immigration Canada, it's to have patience; that burro-cracy moves with glacial slowness. My wife has been dealing with them for five years now, and she's still not reached Landed Immigrant status just yet, and she's got a citizen of Canada sponsoring her.

Oh, I assure you, it's FAR WORSE going the other way.

~Alja~
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 24 Oct 2008, 15:57

My explanation for Wraith is simply this: he wants everyone to see his point of view so he drills it into people's minds. He is tolerant of other people's views, I'm sure, but there are a few things that he is passionate about. That is one thing that us USAires tend to do: get overpassionate. I do it a lot too, especially when it comes to disrespecting others and bullying and so on.

Seriously, my biggest gripe about Tom Cruise is that because of Scientology, he feels that he is an expert on clinical psychology. Saying that I am wrong for taking depression meds and how that makes me a bad person is one thing that I would like to shove an unlubricated cactus up his ass for.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 Oct 2008, 16:11

Wraith is a good guy.

He and I butt heads personally, yes. But I respect him, and I feel he respects me. We understand we're going to disagree, and we do both get passionate in our own ways. I think it's in his personality to put everything to rigorous testing, applying a sort of logic litmus test. If someone says they believe something, but doesn't back it up firmly and confidently, it's a sign that perhaps they don't quite know what they're talking about.

Yes, sometimes that runs away with him, just as it does with myself. But at the end of the day, Wraith is a smart and reasonable fellow, if a tad stubborn and aggresive.

~Alja~
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 24 Oct 2008, 17:06

I flame all of you equally.

WITH LOVE.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 24 Oct 2008, 17:13

Alja-Markir wrote:Wraith is a good guy.

WHAT?? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 24 Oct 2008, 18:05

I like Wraith. He expresses most of my views better than I can. (I have a problem with getting my ideas across to people, and sometimes even freeze up in front of groups.)
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 24 Oct 2008, 22:20

Cake, can I have a URL for that signature bar?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 24 Oct 2008, 22:22

Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 24 Oct 2008, 22:24

Cheers.
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 24 Oct 2008, 22:55

Allen! wrote:I am so very much not well behaved.

But you're internet sexy, so people overlook it. :D
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 24 Oct 2008, 23:18

GODOFGOD IS MY HOMESLICE.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 Oct 2008, 23:30

Homeslice Slummer, cousin of the famed internet phenomenon?

~Alja~
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 25 Oct 2008, 10:05

Cake wrote:http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1730/ubd8847er0.png

Swipe.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Cuttlefishman
First Video: Field Guide to Homo Mortuus

Postby Cuttlefishman » 25 Oct 2008, 10:20

Elomin Sha wrote:I was listening to an old LRRCast whilst cycling to work and Graham mentions how the LRR forums has no flaming of the other members. On a previous forum I helped run I had a spat with someone but I never really was violent with words like the other guy. What makes us so well behaved here?

Quite possibly, it's because we bathe regularly.

Cake wrote:http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1730/ubd8847er0.png

Yoinkmonster.
Valete Omnes
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 26 Oct 2008, 12:42

Elomin Sha wrote:I was listening to an old LRRCast whilst cycling to work and Graham mentions how the LRR forums has no flaming of the other members. On a previous forum I helped run I had a spat with someone but I never really was violent with words like the other guy. What makes us so well behaved here?

I have frequently wondered about this. I wonder if it has something to do with it being Canada based. The last community I was on (on which I have not been for a couple years, but my name is still legend -in a bad way-), the flaming was absolutely ridiculous. That's why I came here.

This community is just made up a of a bulk of really cool people who understand the idea of debating a point without acting like total shit-heads to someone just because they don't agree with you. Beause of this, the people who are quick to flame find this an inhospitable environment and don't stick around.
-Wraith
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 26 Oct 2008, 13:00

Alja-Markir wrote:Canadians do seem, on the whole, nicer than Americans.

I really want to smack you for saying this.

Sadly, my personal experience seems to agree.

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
tak197 wrote:As for the flaming and such, I only do that to people when I get really annoyed by something that someone says, or when I'm having a particularly shitty day. In regards to Corax, he sometimes rubs me the wrong way and all that, so I let him have it, but I will admit he has been quite civil and less douchebag-ey in recent times.

Plus, I see myself as an American/USAire who desperately wants to move to Canada.

Any explanations on Wraith then? I think for him it's almost an expectation that he'll start flaming someone.

Tearing someone's argument to shreds is not flaming. Flaming is basically talkign shit about someone, and usually involves personal attacks. I've flammed g0g and a few others, but it's not my usual MO here; mainly because, as I've said before, people here generally treat me with respect, and I try to return that respect. I realize I sometimes fail, because by nature I am a relentless smart-ass. But I try. Damnit.

tak197 wrote:My explanation for Wraith is simply this: he wants everyone to see his point of view so he drills it into people's minds. He is tolerant of other people's views, I'm sure, but there are a few things that he is passionate about. That is one thing that us USAires tend to do: get overpassionate. I do it a lot too, especially when it comes to disrespecting others and bullying and so on.

Pretty much. I enjoy debates, and I never do anything half way. I believe that if something is worth doing, it’s worth doing with passion; and that’s the way I live my life. I have two modes when it comes to debating something: either I don’t care enough to bother, or I care enough to go all-out. There is no luke-warm in my mind. It’s hot or cold.

THAT IS A SLANDEROUS LIE!
-Wraith
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 26 Oct 2008, 15:38

Wraith wrote:

THAT IS A SLANDEROUS LIE!

Something we agree on? IMPOSSIBLE.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Oct 2008, 17:12

Wraith wrote:
Alja-Markir wrote:Canadians do seem, on the whole, nicer than Americans.

I really want to smack you for saying this.

Sadly, my personal experience seems to agree.

Ah, but remember: Canadians may be nice (and while it's a kind and soft and comfortable word, it can tend to be a little bland and limp... like "fine" :? ) Americans - on the other hand - are GREAT!

We're inoffensive and easy-going, you're passionate and energetic. Neither is BAD, just either might be better suited to certain situations.

Of course, this is just generalized trends, and there would be plenty of exceptional or 'fringe' cases in both tendencies.
forty6andtwo

Postby forty6andtwo » 27 Oct 2008, 02:56

I'm the nicest Asshole I know. .....eh.
~~Out of work drummer in Victoria looking for a band to play with, inquire within~~

Return to “General Discussion”