Obama is the winner! Take 2.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Nov 2008, 10:12

Curse you and your fact-checking! I thought I might have slipped that one by.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 05 Nov 2008, 10:38

Wraith wrote:
CyberTractor wrote:I guarantee the first thing Obama does that they don't see exactly in line with their interests, they're going to start complaining again.

That's all I ask. But I doubt it. I think that they'll just say "he's better than Bush" or make excuses for him. I think he's going to get away with a lot of things that Bush would have been absolutely crucified for.

CyberTractor wrote:I know that names like John Stuart or Stephen Colbert wouldn't be nearly as popular if they didn't make fun of politicians.

I'm going to be very interested to see how they handle this. Half their comedy has revolved around making fun of Bush, and I don't believe for a second they're going to be as harsh with their faux-savior.

You're so cynical. <3

I really don't know what the Daily Show/Colbert Report is going to do. I don't think they'll make fun of Obama right off the bat, but after some media outlet blows something Obama did that they perceive as threatening wide open, then stuff will happen.

*shrug*
I can't think of a signature.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 05 Nov 2008, 10:55

sweet now we can stop the war on iraq, and START the war on afganistan!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Nov 2008, 12:30

CyberTractor wrote:I really don't know what the Daily Show/Colbert Report is going to do. I don't think they'll make fun of Obama right off the bat,

Yes they will. Stewart supports Obama, but it's job to make fun of him, and he's always said he will.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Nov 2008, 12:41

Have I Got News For You had the similar problem after the Tories were ousted in 1997 and Blair took over. Everyone was glad that all the slease, dirty politics, killings and bizarre sexual acts had ended. But people started laughing at Blair jokes rather quickly.

Example:

A Labour party is spoilt when someone shouts "Oi Dickhead" across the room.
A picture of Blair turnign to the camera pops up. It dependson the joke in the end but I guess it won't be far off.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 05 Nov 2008, 13:43

Cureless_Poisen wrote:Hopefully Obama is not just another war mongering idiot like almost every single other president. (Excluding Kenedy, and Clinton)

You know Kenedy got American into Vietnam, right?

Elomin Sha wrote:Everyone was glad that all the slease, dirty politics, killings and bizarre sexual acts had ended.

Yeah...
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 05 Nov 2008, 16:45

CyberTractor wrote:I really don't know what the Daily Show/Colbert Report is going to do. I don't think they'll make fun of Obama right off the bat, but after some media outlet blows something Obama did that they perceive as threatening wide open, then stuff will happen.

*shrug*

The Daily Show will probably have a few weeks of 'transition' where their news stories will likely focus more on oddball general news (akin to what Phailhaus discusses) until they get a feel for where the funny is with CinC Obama. And trust me, there WILL be a funny side to 'The Saviour'; everyone has one (even Wraith - mostly it's his wonderful sense of humour itself)

And then Jon & Co will do to Obama what they did to Bush...oh yeah, and that other president before 'Emperor Junior'...oh, wasn't HE a dem? Gosh, can't remember waaaay back then in the last millenium. ;)

Overtly, having a 'terrorist-collaborator, no leadership experience, visible minority' president will GOOD for Stephen Colbert's alter ego; more fodder for the 'grit mill' if you will. :) Of course, everyone realizes that The Colbert Report focuses its humour not on the government per se, but in a parody of right-wing pundits like Bill O'Reilly, so Mr. C can keep steaming along as normal.

ANYWAY, I heard recordings of both Barrack's acceptance speech, and Johnny Mc's concession speech; both were well-spoken, deferential and positive. But I find J.MC to be very admirable to be so gracious in loss:

Telaril

Postby Telaril » 05 Nov 2008, 17:06

Graham wrote:
CyberTractor wrote:I really don't know what the Daily Show/Colbert Report is going to do. I don't think they'll make fun of Obama right off the bat,

Yes they will. Stewart supports Obama, but it's job to make fun of him, and he's always said he will.

Actually, they've been making fun of Obama off and on for a while. They aren't the same kind of jokes, but that's because that's not how comedy works. They made fun of him interspersing web addresses into his speeches, which totally ruins their epic quality. They made fun of him for promising more than he can likely deliver in this economic environment.

If you remember the Daily Show coverage of the 2000 election, they made fun of both Bush and Gore. They made fun of Gore for being boring and a stiff, they made fun of Bush for being an idiot. That's because different things were funny about each of them, so different gags applied.

So no, they won't make fun of Obama malapropisms, because he's unlikely to make them. But they made fun of Clinton, who they obviously often agreed with. And they made fun of Dean and Kerry. They'll be different jokes, obviously, because jokes are not one-size fits all.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 05 Nov 2008, 19:36

Telaril wrote:They'll be different jokes, obviously, because jokes are not one-size fits all.

Yeah-huh. Knock knock. :)
Frost

Postby Frost » 05 Nov 2008, 20:09

I really don't know what the Daily Show/Colbert Report is going to do.

Biden will be a gold mine
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 05 Nov 2008, 20:45

Telaril wrote:Actually, they've been making fun of Obama off and on for a while. They aren't the same kind of jokes, but that's because that's not how comedy works. They made fun of him interspersing web addresses into his speeches, which totally ruins their epic quality. They made fun of him for promising more than he can likely deliver in this economic environment.

The difference is that with republicans, they make jokes with implications designed to make them look unethical, ignorant, or incompetent. With dems, it's "hey, doesn't this wonderful, incredible, very presidential person have a silly quirk? Hillarious!"

Really just peppered in so that they could say that they had made jokes about him. I guarantee you, the mean-spirited bitching about every little thing they always tossed Bush will be nowhere to be seen. I guaran-damn-tee you.
-Wraith
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 05 Nov 2008, 20:51

Wraith wrote:Really just peppered in so that they could say that they had made jokes about him. I guarantee you, the mean-spirited bitching about every little thing they always tossed Bush will be nowhere to be seen. I guaran-damn-tee you.

Lay off it already. You're angry because you don't think that people are going to make fun of Obama as much as or in the same way as they made fun of Bush.

We get it.

And you're probably right. For now.

Until Obama does something dumb (which will happen because cameras are constantly going to be on him) people won't have anything to make fun of him. He eventually will slip up and say something stupid because everyone does that.

So, can you stop complaining about that moot point to us?
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 05 Nov 2008, 21:02

CyberTractor wrote:Knock knock. :)

Who's there? :?
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 05 Nov 2008, 21:21

CyberTractor wrote:
Until Obama does something dumb (which will happen because cameras are constantly going to be on him) people won't have anything to make fun of him. He eventually will slip up and say something stupid because everyone does that.

This. Everyone should start on equal ground, right? Bush has had eight years to build up all sorts of crap for them to make fun of. It would be silly for you to expect them to have the same sort of material already lined up for someone so new to office.

Give them a chance. Heck, they've got to make fun of somebody if they want to keep their viewership up, and there are barely any Republicans left... :P

I think McCain has gone back to being the person he was before the campaign started.

I missed that McCain. I wish it had been that McCain running for president. It might have been a much closer contest. :( The people in the audience, on the other hand? Kind of a dick-move, to boo the person who just won the presidency, and to scream things out. I mean, what is it, a mosh pit? This is an orator giving a speech. Shut up and let him give it.

Haha, I love the news reports about how the entire world is so happy that we elected Obama. It just seems so bizarre. It's like, really? Are you genuinely excited about his policies, or are you just happy we have a black president? Some of them seems kind of shallow to me. EDIT: of course, some countries are genuinely excited to see someone... hm... more intellectual at the helm of the white house.

Well that's a strange image. The president sailing the white house around Cape Cod.

Also

TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 05 Nov 2008, 21:57

Personally, I am excited by his policies. I acknowledge the historical nature of this election due to him being the first black president, but that is not why I like him.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 05 Nov 2008, 22:40

Okay, wtf@ Ralph Nadar calling Obama Uncle Tom.... was this really necessary?? Peoples ignorance makes me so angry!!!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Bento

Postby Bento » 05 Nov 2008, 23:04

I apologize profusely for starting the first thread which flew way off the handle. I also apologize to everyone I am about to offend, but I really want Wraith to shut up. I'm going to start this off by saying that I'm a moderate Libertarian, and I only voted for Obama because the candidates I supported didn't make it passed the primaries.

In my training for acquiring my double major in philosophy and polysci I have been taught that all good arguments are held up with evidence and examples.

Under this current argument that you've been having you have assumed that their is a liberal bias in the media. You've also said some of the most logically flawed pathos arguments I've ever heard. So lets start the argument over by you proving that the bias exists with EVIDENCE. Don't just enter one time, that means nothing, I want to see the whole records that your basing these assumptions on.
Last edited by Bento on 05 Nov 2008, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 05 Nov 2008, 23:09

I am all for argument, but not for argument sake.

As Matt said on page 1 of this thread: DO NOT USE THIS THREAD TO TROLL. That applies to both sides. If someone makes a valid referenced point, then don't push the issue. Let it go.

Sorry if I seem too forward, but I'd rather not see a decent discussion like this turn into something that needs to be blocked again.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Bento

Postby Bento » 05 Nov 2008, 23:15

the amativeness wrote:I am all for argument, but not for argument sake.

As Matt said on page 1 of this thread: DO NOT USE THIS THREAD TO TROLL. That applies to both sides. If someone makes a valid referenced point, then don't push the issue. Let it go.

Sorry if I seem too forward, but I'd rather not see a decent discussion like this turn into something that needs to be blocked again.

Well thats the problem he's made no actual points that are based on valid evidence, he's just made really weak pathos arguments. If you want me to go through them point by point I will, but I got 2 papers due so I wont be able to do it till the weekend.

He reminds me of when I myself was a hardcore republican, but then I took debate for 3 years in high school and realized that my ideology was flawed.
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 05 Nov 2008, 23:55

AlexanderDitto wrote:
CyberTractor wrote:

This. Everyone should start on equal ground, right? Bush has had eight years to build up all sorts of crap for them to make fun of. It would be silly for you to expect them to have the same sort of material already lined up for someone so new to office.

Yea, but they didn't wait eight years. They were on his ass fromt he word go.
-Wraith
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 06 Nov 2008, 00:22

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:Peoples ignorance makes me so angry!!!

This

Wraith wrote:Yea, but they didn't wait eight years. They were on his ass fromt he word go.

But he was silly enough a baboon to be made fun of during his campaign. Obama has been the straight man all the way through.

It's of note that Bush is still trying to push bad legislation through. He and some of his officials want the Grey Wolf off the endangered list (already reverted by a fed judge), shoaling for oil done on some stretches of currently protected fed reserves... and the list goes on.
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 06 Nov 2008, 03:26

Wraith wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:
CyberTractor wrote:

Yea, but they didn't wait eight years. They were on his ass fromt he word go.

And republicans have been on our new Commander in Chief's ass from the word "On."

As in "On Your Mark."

As in the term before "Get Ready" and "Go."
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 06 Nov 2008, 03:56

That doesn't matter, Zed. The media is left. Not right. He'll get voted a second term simply because the media will praise everything he does.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Nov 2008, 04:06

Wraith wrote:The difference is that with republicans, they make jokes with implications designed to make them look unethical, ignorant, or incompetent. With dems, it's "hey, doesn't this wonderful, incredible, very presidential person have a silly quirk? Hillarious!"

William Jefferson Clinton.

Doesn't it feel liberating to be proven so massively wrong? :)

Wraith wrote:Yea, but they didn't wait eight years. They were on his (Bush's) ass from the word go.

...because he started giving them material even before he was sworn in.

Okay, Empath Tangent Time™:

For all his faults, as well as beliefs and policies I disagree with, I will give George Walker Bush this: he's seems to have an EXCELLENT sense of humour.

Remember that little trick Rick Mercer pulled on him during the '00 election race (I think he was in Michigan), asking Bush, how he felt that Canada's prime minister (Jean Poutine) had suddenly come out in support of GWB for president. The man paused; he stopped and thought, with the hint of a sly smile on his face. If he was truly the buffoon his detractors said he was, he wouldn't have hesitated, but responded immediately without thinking. Instead, after some time to mull things over, he gave a blanket statement which never said the PM's name (correct or incorrect). I think he was angling for a response which was both correct, and still leaves the opportunity for the joke to continue. He COULD have simply said "I thank Jean Chretien for his support." but that wouldn't have been FUNNY. I'd like to think he valued the potential of humour more at that moment.
</tangent>
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 06 Nov 2008, 05:58

AlexanderDitto wrote:Haha, I love the news reports about how the entire world is so happy that we elected Obama. It just seems so bizarre. It's like, really? Are you genuinely excited about his policies, or are you just happy we have a black president? Some of them seems kind of shallow to me. EDIT: of course, some countries are genuinely excited to see someone... hm... more intellectual at the helm of the white house.

This is weird. There are so many people in my country who support Obama, but who plainly have no knowledge or understanding of policiess. Its a little embarressing; I had no opinion on who should win.

Also, in the versus screen, while holding Right on the control pad, quickly press L, R, X, B, Y, A.

Return to “General Discussion”