Embarassing hard drive memories

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby Shandi » 09 Dec 2008, 13:51

Morgan needs a thread to himself for this. So when are you getting on that then?

My little bro was born in 2003, and my amazement at the archival of his life has been continually renewed since then. These stages of my life are lost forever, as was natural before all this technology obsession. I do love looking back at the weekly video clips of him though. I'm super lucky to have them.

With my first cousin, born last year, this started even earlier. We have dvds of her high quality 3D ultrasound footage. My uncle made copies for everyone, along with Teddy bears which play recordings of her heartbeat.

As a writer I find the text files more damning than photos. When my grandpa's jurassic pc died, my uncle switched out the hard drive with one from an old family computer, and we discovered poems I wrote at age 11. *shudder*
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 09 Dec 2008, 14:47

I take great pains to make sure that my embarassing memories are recorded using free, open-source utilities using their own file types.

That way, it's virtually guaranteed that a few years down the line, nothing on the entire Internet will be able to open those files.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Dec 2008, 18:31

Sable do not be so sure. Maybe obscure hardware will be unusable in a few years, but software not so much. How obscure are we talking?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 Dec 2008, 22:24

Morgan, we need stories.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 09 Dec 2008, 22:44

There definitely is a lot to be said with the access to memory being so high these days. Personally, I think sturdy external hard drives are a good investment, but they also tend to cost quite a bit, whereas the internet is cheap in comparison.

Also, ditto, that does suck that your family would rather belittle you than help you out. Perhaps the best thing for you was to help the baseball playing neurologist out. I don't have anything or anyone like that in my current situation. Hell, once graduation rolls around in May, I'll likely be the only Y chromosome to walk across the stage in my field.

Maybe graduate school will be easier to get into once I get a job someplace.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 10 Dec 2008, 02:58

I keep EVERYTHING, physically and electronically.

I have reports from elementary school and probably pictures I drew in Paint when I was 7. Of course most of it is on my parents computer, but I still have music I don't even like.

I too was looking back at some older photos a couple weeks ago, but surprisingly I had an opposite reaction. I thought I looked prettier than I remember feeling at that age.

Thank goodness the really embarrassing ones are in photo albums buried deep in the depths of the garage.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 10 Dec 2008, 05:27

uh, so i decided to find some old pics of me, which i did. shortly after looking at some older pics i started pining for my jawline as my beard was about 4 inches long. i just shaved it off.
i hate this thread.

on the upside i can probably pick up school girls now.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 10 Dec 2008, 17:27

masamune wrote:uh, so i decided to find some old pics of me, which i did. shortly after looking at some older pics i started pining for my jawline as my beard was about 4 inches long. i just shaved it off.
i hate this thread.

on the upside i can probably pick up school girls now.

Jawlines and stubble are sexy! Congratulations! You have joined the ranks of people who no longer have to worry about bits of cheese getting stuck in their beards!

So... er... you're welcome?

It just kind of weirds me out that by the time I have children or grandchildren, everything's going to be kept, every memory and record. Little hoodlums best be staying out of My Documents, or smash their systems so hard they'll have to type up their homework on the toaster. :x
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 10 Dec 2008, 20:52

AlexanderDitto wrote:Jawlines and stubble are sexy! Congratulations! You have joined the ranks of people who no longer have to worry about bits of cheese getting stuck in their beards!

So... er... you're welcome?

It just kind of weirds me out that by the time I have children or grandchildren, everything's going to be kept, every memory and record. Little hoodlums best be staying out of My Documents, or smash their systems so hard they'll have to type up their homework on the toaster. :x

i guess since i'm 25 next week it's good to look 18... right? :(
if you're still using the same pc when you have kids and grand kids, i will be impressed. :P
bet you've got nakie time pics on there. you know you do.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 10 Dec 2008, 22:21

masamune wrote:i guess since i'm 25 next week it's good to look 18... right? :(
if you're still using the same pc when you have kids and grand kids, i will be impressed. :P
bet you've got nakie time pics on there. you know you do.

I think this thread is to remind me about how messy my past life photos are. I must have about 6 "complete backup of important stuff" stashes lying around on various disks and computers... yet I haven't gone through them.

I'm 19 in just over a month, and I'd like to look my age for once. If you're looking less than my age at 25, here's to you.

Hopefully by the (if ever.. I'm not exactly waiting, hehe) time I has me some little pwnerers of my own, society will be liberal enough that nakie-time pics are in DLC packs for G-rated XBLA games. Well... maybe not that liberal.
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 11 Dec 2008, 01:44

Shandi wrote:Morgan needs a thread to himself for this. So when are you getting on that then?

Just a thread? I think Morgan deserves some kind of video category. It could be a weekly thing alongside the standard video. I dunno if anything specific and thematic would be in it -- Morgan could use the thing for whatever he wanted.
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Dec 2008, 02:12

You forget how lazy Morgan is.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”