Shattered Expectations

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 09 Dec 2008, 09:19

arallyn wrote:... But if you have a ton of other stuff coursing through your system, weed's a wicked bad addition to it.

If you have a ton of other stuff oursing through your body ANYTHING is a bad addition to it.

On topic of being disappointed:
HP book 7 was so disappointing to me, considering how many people said it was great and awesome and OMG JKR can do no wrong. Bleh.

Billy Elliot: the Musicl is a bit of a let down too. It's a spectacular to be sure, but it's really just a string of production numbers with the plot and characters of the movie, but none of the impact. '

Wicked was also not as great as people made it out to be. Music was good at some points, but it felt shallow, the lyrics were messy at some points, and overall felt, to me, that Schwartz was trying to be Sondheim but failed and came off as pretenious. Book was better, the end.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 09 Dec 2008, 09:27

Jillers wrote:Funny, I know people who are mean drunks... like beat the shit out of you mean.
And not to mention, some type of alcohol leave my stomach an absolute disaster.
Plus the amount of times I've held freinds' hair while they spent a night throwing up because of alcohol.
And the amount of people who become alcoholics...

“You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

“If when you say whiskey you mean the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

“But;

“If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

“This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.”
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 09 Dec 2008, 09:41

The Hitman wrote:
...Some appropriate and (probably) famous quote about Whiskey, which I can't place

I just want the record to show that me and alcohol are good friends, I just know people who, when they drink, don't ALWAYS get happy and relaxed.

Also, Whiskey doesn't agree with my tongue.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 09 Dec 2008, 09:56

I think any toy I owned when I was a kid had this effect.

Example:

Action figure commercial comes on TV.
"OMG THIS TOY IS SO AWESOME, LOOK WHAT CAN IT DO"
*TV shows a mini set JUST for the toy. It includes little brick walls, cars and smoke. Kids on the TV are using it, and the kid HAS to say WHOA. Don't forget the massive quick zooming in*
"OWN IT, ITS AWESOME, ITS ONLY (insert price here) GET IT NOW"

I get the toy and realize oh.. thats it?
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 09 Dec 2008, 09:59

I love whiskey!

But yes, one is looking through rose-coloured glasses to assert that drink always does nice things to everyone. Drugs can be all kinds of bad, but they can also be all kinds of fun.

I'm not super into drugs: I've had some bad experiences on hallucinogens, although nothing particularly scarring, but I wouldn't think twice about smoking a joint or doing e on occasion.

I can't stand it when people tell stories like "My friend looked at some cocaine and then died in a fire!" It's just such a downer. Sure, drugs are not safe, but most everything else we have in our lives gives only the illusion of safety. Cars are certainly not safe, but people don't go on and on about how their car forced them to have an accident. You have to take some responsibility and realize that sometimes it is worth the risk to have some enjoyable craziness.

And chances are, drugs or not, you are going to fuck some shit up really badly in your life at some point. It's good to learn from your mistakes, but I wouldn't let them become some torch to carry about the various evils of the world. If you're going to go that far you might as well convert to Puritanism and get a portrait painted of yourself carrying a skull.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 09 Dec 2008, 10:42

Wicked was one of the most disappointing things ever. The book seemed like it'd have everything going for it - a world I was familiar with treated with modern satire, good female characters, backstory for a famous one sided villain, chance of redemption.

The problem was, the book was wretched. Grim, tedious, overly depressing, poorly characterized, filled with characters who were nearly interesting simply being depressed and unsatisfied with their lives. I wanted to like it so badly that I kept plowing through, but again and again it would disappoint until I finally put it aside.

Ironically, I later saw the musical and decided to give the book another try. I made it a little further that time, but in the end it was just not worth struggling through.

(I had decided to come complain about Wicked before I read Jillers post. I guess it just goes to show that taste is wildly variable.)
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 09 Dec 2008, 11:01

Telaril wrote:Wicked was one of the most disappointing things ever. The book seemed like it'd have everything going for it - a world I was familiar with treated with modern satire, good female characters, backstory for a famous one sided villain, chance of redemption.

The problem was, the book was wretched. Grim, tedious, overly depressing, poorly characterized, filled with characters who were nearly interesting simply being depressed and unsatisfied with their lives. I wanted to like it so badly that I kept plowing through, but again and again it would disappoint until I finally put it aside.

Ironically, I later saw the musical and decided to give the book another try. I made it a little further that time, but in the end it was just not worth struggling through.

(I had decided to come complain about Wicked before I read Jillers post. I guess it just goes to show that taste is wildly variable.)

It probably also helps that I read the book w/o any hype formed about it; I had heard amazing things about the musical and decied I'd read the book first. The musical was supposed to be so amazing my vagina would fall out or something... looking back I realize tat the people who said it was tat awesome were fangirls... (not that only fangirls like Wcked, but that had I hard about it through another source I may very well have been blown away)
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 09 Dec 2008, 11:09

Yeah, that'd do it. I heard about the musical because my roomate put it in the car stereo while we were driving to Atlantic City, and I was like... "holy crap. What the hell is this?" By the drive back I knew half of the songs, to his great annoyance.

The book was handed to me reverently by someone who said, in hushed tones "have you... read Wicked? it's fantastic."

I also have a random Pet Peeve related to shattered expectations - I really hate it when someone compares some new thing to something I love. "So and So is the new Douglas Adams." "Such and such an anime is just like Kino's Travels." That forces me to stand this new thing up against something I consider to be near perfect, ensuring it isn't going to measure up. The problem is, without the comparison build-up, I probably would have liked the thing. Now I only say "Is it as good as one of my favorite things ever, as this person implied? No, it isn't. Thus, fail."
arallyn

Postby arallyn » 09 Dec 2008, 12:34

The Hitman wrote:I can't stand it when people tell stories like "My friend looked at some cocaine and then died in a fire!" It's just such a downer. Sure, drugs are not safe, but most everything else we have in our lives gives only the illusion of safety. Cars are certainly not safe, but people don't go on and on about how their car forced them to have an accident. You have to take some responsibility and realize that sometimes it is worth the risk to have some enjoyable craziness..

True dat. (Yes, I just said that) I never present my story as a warning against drugs to the general public, but to people who are on an asston of medications already. Most of my friends smoke pot, and I don't mind it one bit. Pot didn't make me stab my friend; my terror and overwhelming exhaustion and frustration led me to make that decision.

Also: Alcohol more than lived up to my expectations! Didn't drink before I was 19, but the second time I drank, it was pretty heavily, and I had a lot of fun chewing on table legs and whatnot. Fairly irresponsible, but my boyfriend was making sure I didn't wander into the street or anything. Since then I've never been less than a happy drunk, but good lord a few of my friends are suicidal and angry drunks.
Most of how you are drunk has to do with your mindset when you start drinking and why you turn to alcohol.

Mouse

Postby Mouse » 09 Dec 2008, 13:24

On the subject of kinds of drunks. I think the best kind of drunks are the ones that there's NO DIFFERENCE.

I remember last New Years I was with my friends and was the only sober person there. My friend was acting rather normal so I asked him how he was on a scale of one to ten and he said eighte. There was absolutely no change in his personality.

Strangest thing ever.
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup

Return to “General Discussion”