Shattered Expectations

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Zed Alpha

Shattered Expectations

Postby Zed Alpha » 08 Dec 2008, 18:42

Ever go into a situation where you're told that "This will be AWESOME/MIND BLOWING/NOT SUCKY/THE MOST DELICIOUS THING YOU'VE EVER HAD/ORGASMICALLY COOL/JUST LIKE NEW WHEN WE'RE DONE!"

And then you actually do/eat/have/look at/et cetera the thing in question and your expectations are, well, shattered?

What happened there? Tell me your story. I'm bored, and I'll share mine.

So I was hanging out with a few stoner now-ex-friends of mine, and they're, surprise surprise!, smoking reefer. They offer some to me singing its praises, and before I can tentatively try it to see if it's all it's cracked up to be, the ambient smoke hits me and, BAM! Migraine and all the other bad side effects of that drug without any of the good stuff that is supposed to come with it.

This only added to my determination to never do drugs, by the way.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 08 Dec 2008, 18:58

Oh. I thought this was going to be another thread about The Dark Knight.
:P
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Aztec Cowboy Mafia

Postby Aztec Cowboy Mafia » 08 Dec 2008, 19:04

This happens to me with books all the time. Because I'm an English major, people assume that I'll read anything thrown at me (which, I will, so that's fine), but they neglect to realize that years and years of analyzing literature has left me with a massive critical streak that I find nearly impossible to suppress.

So they go "Whoa, man, you read books? Here, you'll love this one!" and I go "Hey, thanks, this looks like it could be good!" and I crack it open and it's utterly, mind-blowingly awful. Then I have to tactfully avoid telling them I think their suggestion was tripe when they ask "How did you like it!?" with that expectant look on their face, and I'm left blaming myself for being too damned highbrow. :(
there are mad and beautiful things beneath the skin of the world we know
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 08 Dec 2008, 19:08

My solution is to never get my expectations up. It works pretty well.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Dec 2008, 19:14

Aztec Cowboy Mafia wrote:stuff on awful literature

Same thing happens to me all the time. Even worse that once I start reading a book I cannot stop reading it no matter how gorram bad it is. In the past 15 years or however long I've been able to read, I've only stopped reading two books before I was finished, and I've read some mindbogglingly bad ones. One was Huckleberry Finn, because I was around 7 or 8 at the time, and was able to recognize that I should wait for a few more years before trying it (I've been meaning to find it again), and the other was something with deer in the title by a local author. There's a reason why he's local.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 08 Dec 2008, 19:17

I read "The Sword of Shannara" all the way to the end.

I don't know why.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
spartanhelmet

Re: Shattered Expectations

Postby spartanhelmet » 08 Dec 2008, 19:22

Zed Alpha wrote:This only added to my determination to never do drugs, by the way.

Ditto that, but I still think it should be legal.

Let's face it, the govt bans things when it's in the interest of people in high (haha, no pun) places. Hemp was banned for commercial interests, not because it was 'dangerous' rather than a medicinal and traditionally used product. Why not ban tobacco, and alcohol?

I still wouldn't smoke any, don't want to have reefer friends but I think it should be legal :| ... I'm contradictory.

And yeah, I've told people about this thing called Loading Ready Run. It's not that crash hot, so I'm thinking they're pretty disappointed :)
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 08 Dec 2008, 19:45

Zed Alpha wrote:What happened there? Tell me your story. I'm bored, and I'll share mine.

It happens to me all the time with live theatre and other live perfomances of stuff. I'm told it's the best thing since sliced cheese, and I'll come out ranting about the acting, or the unprofessional behavior of the crew, or how the lighting was terrrible.

Only one show has left me speechless was Wicked: The Musical in the West End of London. The worst broadway show I've seen is The Lion King. Now, I enjoyed the movie, when I was eight, and was told that the sets and costumes were fantasic, and the staging was to die for. Sadly, that wasn't the case. This also wasn't a touring show that had to fit into a couple of semi's. This was the show that had been going for a number of years. I could go on and on how absolutely horrible it was, I'm already ranting, and I've had my alotted time for that already today.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 08 Dec 2008, 20:42

spartanhelmet wrote:
Zed Alpha wrote:This only added to my determination to never do drugs, by the way.

Ditto that, but I still think it should be legal.

I'd like to waste a potential comeback post by being the voice of reason and pointing out that drugs are great.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 08 Dec 2008, 20:54

i expected more from this thread. :(
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 08 Dec 2008, 20:55

Ask not what this thread can do for you, but what you can do for this thread.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 08 Dec 2008, 21:26

Zed Alpha wrote:reefer

Really?
"Reefer"?
Really?
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 08 Dec 2008, 22:35

drugs make you happier and smarter! the government makes them illegal so you won't be smart enough to overthrow them!
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 08 Dec 2008, 22:39

I've always wanted to be a violinist.

But bam, it hit me. I'm a faggot.
i dont know what's happening anymore
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 08 Dec 2008, 23:43

DON'T WORRY.

Your condition may be treatable through a mixture of Jesus and denial.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Dec 2008, 23:46

I was hoping for so much more from the Max Payne movie.

It did so many things SO RIGHT, but it was just far enough from good to make it total, utter shit.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 09 Dec 2008, 00:34

.. and now I'm disappointed that Graham didn't shit over MP more than he did. Some movies should be done differently... and Rotten Tomatoes resoundingly said this is one. "More Norse, less force" indeed.

Also to hitman, I won't say drugs are bad. I just don't think they're for me, and I've seen enough people wrecked to know it's not for the entirety of everyone else either.
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 09 Dec 2008, 00:52

The Hitman wrote:I'd like to waste a potential comeback post by being the voice of reason and pointing out that drugs are great.

But alcohol is better! with a lot of drugs you run the risk of a bad reaction, a bad trip if you will, but with alcohol you ALWAYS feel happy and relaxed.

I'll take a Long Island Iced Tea over a spliff anyday.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Dec 2008, 00:55

I would say my experiences with weed have been more consistent than those with alcohol.

I guess it is the superior quality of BC Bud.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 09 Dec 2008, 00:59

tak197 wrote:
The Hitman wrote:I'd like to waste a potential comeback post by being the voice of reason and pointing out that drugs are great.

But alcohol is better! with a lot of drugs you run the risk of a bad reaction, a bad trip if you will, but with alcohol you ALWAYS feel happy and relaxed.

wtf. have you seen someone with liver issues? there are more alcohol related deaths and problems than marijuana. alcohol only makes you feel 'happy' when you continue to drink. it's a depressant. as soon as you start to sober up you feel a lot worse. not to mention that 'happy' feeling is entirely bogus.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 09 Dec 2008, 01:16

With all this talk of alcohol, I'm guessing the Canadian beer joke will be making its run...

*long silence*

masamune wrote:not to mention that 'happy' feeling is entirely bogus.

Yeah, the "wooo!... I now have two STDs and a killer headache" part is definitely glossed over.

And from here..
There is evidence that many illicit drugs pose comparatively fewer health dangers than certain licit drugs (e. g. alcohol and tobacco). In the UK, an average of 500,000 people take ecstasy every weekend, 40 million are social drinkers, 11 million are "at risk" or "problem" drinkers, and 9 million smoke cigarettes, resulting in 40 ecstasy-related deaths a year, 6500 deaths due to alcohol and 120 000 deaths due to smoking, making the per user risk of ecstasy half that of alcohol (about 1:12,500 occasions, compared to 1:6,153 for alcohol), and much below tobacco (1:75).
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 09 Dec 2008, 06:14

That post is a little misleading spartanhelmet, I wouldn't have thought anyone consumes an equivalent amount of drugs to what they drink.

I find raw meat dissapointing; it looks delicious, but looks can be deceiving.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 09 Dec 2008, 07:29

tak197 wrote:

Funny, I know people who are mean drunks... like beat the shit out of you mean.
And not to mention, some type of alcohol leave my stomach an absolute disaster.
Plus the amount of times I've held freinds' hair while they spent a night throwing up because of alcohol.
And the amount of people who become alcoholics...
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
arallyn

Postby arallyn » 09 Dec 2008, 07:39

Emperor Gum wrote:
I find raw meat dissapointing; it looks delicious, but looks can be deceiving.

DUDE. Me too. I've come home to a freshly slaughtered cow tenderloin being prepared and it just looks so juicy and meaty and delicious and it even smells good...but you taste it and it's like *bleargh*.

DIGRESSION ALERT!

Drugs screwed me up big time. I mean, not permanantly, but long enough to screw me out of an entire semester of university and kill my cumulative GPA. I tried pot for the first time with my best friend (of the time) last winter break. I went to visit him in FL, spent an asston of money on it, too, and he up and got in a car wreck bad enough that it could have killed both of us if it was a slightly different angle. Really, really bad "vacation" already.

Anyway, after the wreck, I had adrenaline coursing through me, my normal prescription medications (for migraines/mood stabilizers), and quite a bit of ibuprofen. My friend had been pushing me to smoke with him the entire week, but I didn't accept until the car wreck, just cause I wanted anything to take my mind off of the wreck and the fact that my leg looked like it had three knees because of the swelling.

I didn't feel anything for the first several hits, but there was one that just hit me like a semi truck. All I remember that night was laying on his floor and wondering how I got there, cheating on my boyfriend, and laughing psychotically at something on adult swim.

Few days later, I still feel every last effect of the pot aside from my memory loss...especially the screwed up nerve sensations. My nerves were hypersensitive but none of my other senses were, and it freaked me the fuck out, and while I was in my freaked-out state, I ended up stabbing my best friend in the arm.

Effects lasted about 3 weeks after that, mental problems about 3 months after that. Lost my best friend (we still talk, but we're not very close anymore). Lost the trust of my boyfriend (we're still together, though). Screwed an entire semester of college from just smoking once.

This shit doesn't happen to everyone; as I understand it, it hardly happens to anyone. But if you have a ton of other stuff coursing through your system, weed's a wicked bad addition to it.
-----
tl;dr verson: DRUGS ARE BAD, YO. And I stabbed my best friend.

korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 09 Dec 2008, 08:40

for me, i've only smoked a few times in my life and i don't really drink so much, but i would have to say that the aftermath of smoking pot is signifigantly better then alcohol.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com

Return to “General Discussion”