There are two kinds of people

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

I am a

Spender
36%
Saver
64%

Total votes: 33
Annchan

There are two kinds of people

Postby Annchan » 19 Dec 2008, 08:26

Spenders and savers.

Here's an example of both

I would call myself a saver, I am very frugal, or some might call me cheap. I don't like to spend money unless I have to. Heck I even make my own laundry detergent to save a few bucks (Added bonus, it turns out to be the best detergent EVAR). Some might say that is a little too frugal.

My husband on the other hand, is an impulse shopper, loves to buy big toys and expensive games. Kinda works out for us because I am able to save money an hide it away and then he can spend chunks of it and we both have fun.

Seriously, I never would have gotten a second Xbox ,TV and doubles of our favorite games, But I sure enjoy it!

This christmas I put a spending limit on our gifts, since we are a little tighter than normal after buying a house. our limit was $20.
Yeah pretty lame I know but I thought it was not about the gift itself. I bought him something that was $25 and told him I went over the budget for his gift, that was when he replied "Oops, I forgot there was a budget"

Sometimes I think it's a bad idea that he has the credit card....
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 19 Dec 2008, 08:29

I am a terrible impulse buyer... However, I try to save money the best I can, like I always reuse plastic utensils and I try to wash and reuse plastic bags... I also always buy the generic brand at the grocery store..

however, I love shoes, I spend way too much money on them, if I see a cute pair of shoes, and I have money at the time, I will buy them... Its a problem...

Also, How do you make your own detergent?
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 19 Dec 2008, 08:35

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Laundry-Detergent
There's a video on how to make powdered laundry detergent near the bottom. I don't go through the trouble to make it liquid, the powder works really well and is like... 5 cents a load.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 19 Dec 2008, 08:41

I make a great saver, I throw all my money in the bank and when I find something I want to buy I always think of how it will go in the long run. Will I still like it in a year or two, will it last that long. ect. ect.

Eventually I just say the hell with it and not bother buying something unless I absolutely love it and I know it will stand the test of time.
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 19 Dec 2008, 09:00

If I know I have money, I have spender tendencies, but if I out of disposable income, I can quite easily stop spending and not dig into my savings, which I build up with summer work while not being a student. So I'm some where in between.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 19 Dec 2008, 09:46

CurelessPoison, no matter how many times I watch the toast get burnt, I always feel bad.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 19 Dec 2008, 10:31

Annchan wrote:This christmas I put a spending limit on our gifts, since we are a little tighter than normal after buying a house. our limit was $20.
Yeah pretty lame I know but I thought it was not about the gift itself. I bought him something that was $25 and told him I went over the budget for his gift, that was when he replied "Oops, I forgot there was a budget"

Sometimes I think it's a bad idea that he has the credit card....

Yeah.... I'm deffinately a spender! LOL
I'm horrible at saving :P

I am trying to get better though :D

So AnnChan, whatcha getting me for Christmas?? :wink:
Last edited by Digital Dolphin on 19 Dec 2008, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Games cost money

Postby Shandi » 19 Dec 2008, 10:48

Wow, I would have thought in a forum full of gamers there would be more spenders than savers. Maybe there aren't as many gamers here as I would think. Or maybe they're just too busy gaming to answer this poll.
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 19 Dec 2008, 11:20

I'm usually a spender, but for the last 6 months I've cut down on buying stuff, I'm in extreme cheap-ass mode, since I wanted to pay all my debts this month so I could be free to save and go to Tokyo next year, and that's the reason why the only person who is gonna get a present from me is my little brother, I got him Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts XD

I suppose I can give IOUs to the rest of my family and dear friends ^^u
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Dec 2008, 12:04

I stay within my budget. If that means I can buy something fun, then I do. If I can't, then I don't. Easy as cake.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 19 Dec 2008, 13:48

I'm a spender, no doubt about it. Money burns a hole in my pocket--I hate it, but I suck at budgeting. D:
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
arallyn

Postby arallyn » 19 Dec 2008, 13:49

I rarely spend large amounts of money, but then again I rarely HAVE large amounts of money. Aside from summers, I haven't taken a job during the school year while I've been in college (three years). I'm lucky to have a family that planned on sending my brother and I to college the instant we were born. I have loan debt, and it's not like I ever have spending money, but my parents have made sure that I had enough to survive so that I could just focus on school.

It's a constant fight to get my boyfriend to save money. He figures that so long as he's in college his debt doesn't really count. It's not like he has any debt other than loans, but it's his attitude towards money that bothers me. He was a beta tester for CoD 5 and hated the multiplayer game, but he STILL bought it, because he figured they'd worked out the things he had issues with (he hated the gameplay itself...) between beta and release. He's not stupid, just doesn't think things through.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Dec 2008, 14:02

I never spend money, ever.

Okay, not entirely the truth, but being in high school and never having had a job (which I really should get), $1600+ in the bank is pretty good. I'm incredibly cheap, and get most of my stuff through birthdays and Christmas.

Tip for gift-shopping on a budget: Books. That's what I did this year, and for four people I'm under 50 bucks total. Of course, your mileage may well vary, but I come from a very book-loving family (who oddly enough also all have a pathological hatred of English class).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Society

Postby Society » 19 Dec 2008, 16:06

Most of the year I'm a saver, and i horde my money away without touching it ever. I'm a spender at the moment though, cause I like buying people stuff. So christmas really does me in financially, but I don't really mind.
I once met a man in Regina with a leopard print eye-patch, and now I fear nothing.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 19 Dec 2008, 16:28

There are two kinds of people, those that understand subjective validation and those that don't.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Dec 2008, 16:40

I dislike spending money.

If I spend, I ensure my purchases are necessary and optimized for savings and quality. This usually takes several weeks of thoughtful deliberation.

If I am tasked with giving a present to another human being, however, I will not hesitate to spend more money than I budgeted if I believe they will find the gift both enjoyable and useful. If I do not feel that is guaranteed, however, I would rather buy them nothing. I hate receiving tchotchkes. They clutter the room and the mind.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 20 Dec 2008, 01:37

Ditto on Ditto

I tend to save money even when I have it. I try to only spend on necessities, and gifts (eg Christmas) because I like to put it towards bigger projects. I hate consumerism, so I usually spend on travel and experiences.

I tend to think about my purchases in terms of how many hours I would have to work to pay for it. "Hmmm... is this t-shirt worth four hours of torture??"
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
allison

Postby allison » 20 Dec 2008, 11:52

both
i'm really cheep, but LOVE shopping

Return to “General Discussion”