One question

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
miakosummin

One question

Postby miakosummin » 03 Apr 2005, 00:18

I have one question, how do you make your machinima movies? My friend and I were planning on making a similar thing with Zelda: OoT, and had no idea how to record the video, and then we watched last weeks celestial sea and realized it is the same thing. Is there some kind of software that lets you make a video of what happens on screen on your computer? We don't have any money to buy anything, so if you can advise any free software, that would be immensly awesome! Thank you for the help!

[Note: I'm so sorry if this is in the wrong forum! I'll look for a proper place to ask next time!]
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Apr 2005, 01:20

No, this is a fine place for the question.

Well, Star Ocean is a PS2 game, and the way we get that footage is run the PS2 out cables into a VCR and then from there into a standard Mini-DV camera. Most Sony cameras (and other, I believe) can be set to "DV IN" mode and record in the camera's VCR mode, directly onto the tape.

So we end up with a tape of raw footage and import it onto computer just like real footage, and edit the CRAP out of it, as we would live footage.

I hope this answers it. Computer games are different, but if there's any other questions you've got, ask away.

-G
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 03 Apr 2005, 01:39

Ah, no, thank you anyways. I forgot star ocean was for ps2 >_< I've never played it.
Well, I can do the same thing with the gamecube I guess, but I really wouldnt know what to do, even if I had the proper equiptment. I guess I am just going to have to find a n64 emulator that can record and avi file, that would probably be the easiest way. Thank you anyway!

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Apr 2005, 02:25

Well, you've got an N64, probably a VCR, and I'm sure one of your friends has a video camera you can borrow. Everyone in a group of friends knows that guy, you know... the one with the camera... (in my case, it's me). Same deal with the patch through. I can go into more detail if you like.

Also, AVI are fine for most things, and probably fine for this, but capturing true digital video quality might break a system. What system do you have? Windows, I assume, from you're jump to AVI, so you're probably using Premiere. I hope they've improved its ability to read those files since I used it last.

Anyway, good luck with it!

-G
ontarianfrog
First Video: It was back in 04.. How would I remember

Postby ontarianfrog » 03 Apr 2005, 06:49

Cyberlinks Pro Director for windows can capture DV really fine....but a lot of disk space is required.....at least 10 gigs I recommend...

on a Windows box, uncompressed avi is actually the DV format itself.

But the program is not free.

I know that VirtualDub (and all of it's variants) can capture Avi. you might want to try out the latest build, and it's free.

Here's where you can get it:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.6.4.zip?download
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 08 Apr 2005, 17:47

Well, unfortunately I haven't had any luck finding the friend with the camera. All the people who have some form of camera say it can't import it's footage onto a computer. Maybe I don't really get it, eheh. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find someone soon, the other guy working on it is asking around too. And we are using this time to script ideas.

[Link and Navi walk around Kokiri Village...]
"hey, stones in a pond, lets hop across!" "dum de dum de du- OMFG A BLUE RUPEE APPEARED OVER YOUR HEAD LINK!" "AHH WHAT THE FSCK?! A RUPEE! WHAAT!?" "AHH! IT JUST DISAPEARED! OMG ITS IN YOUR WALLET NOW!" "SHIT SHIT SHIT WHAT JUST HAPPENED" --run behind house for couple minutes-- "do you...do you think its safe?" "yeah, yeah, i think its safe now" --walk out from behind house through grass-- "Okay, go slowly, itll be okay, we just gotta get to the deku tr- FSCK FSCK FSCK A GREEN RUPEE JUST APPEARED" "AHH WHAT THE SHIT FSCK DAMN! GAAAH!"

...and so on. I won't mention anything like Navi's ex, or the own having the voice of that weird narrator on legendaryfrog ff7 video, or Shiek's "I - store - this - harp - in - my - a - nuuus" song she sings when teaching you a warp song...

If we can't find a video camera, then I guess we have to the emulator+recording idea, but I don't know if I really need all that stuff ontarianfrog, the emulator let you record your own avi videos, but thank you very much! I don't really need much quality in anything, its just a small [well, if we do the entire game, then huge] project that me and a friend are working on, if it gets bigger then that then we will upgrade to the dv thing.

ontarianfrog
First Video: It was back in 04.. How would I remember

Postby ontarianfrog » 08 Apr 2005, 22:27

if you guys have a ps2 emulator that works, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!

cause god damn...seriously....crap....wtf..... I don't think there is one that is working out there, they just work with demos, or load the menu screen of games....they do not let you play...

anywho...

Is there actually a PS2 emulator that works out there?
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 09 Apr 2005, 11:49

I've never heard of a ps2 emulator, but I'll ask my other friends asap.

Mike, the fr3shmaker

Postby Mike, the fr3shmaker » 09 Apr 2005, 12:12

They have working ps2 emulators but they run too slow to actually play a game without being frustrated, freeze often in the middle of cut scenes and don't work/randomly freeze when trying to run many games.
"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
- Lord Peter Wimsey (Dorothy Leigh Sayers, "Gaudy Night")

Return to “General Discussion”