Stargate Atlantis Finale (Probably Spoilers, If You Care)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Stargate Atlantis Finale (Probably Spoilers, If You Care)

Postby DmitriW » 11 Jan 2009, 21:47

I know that there doesn't seem to be TOO much love for the Stargate franchise on the forums, but I'm curious: did anyone watch the series finale? What did you think of it?
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
ariadinotte

Postby ariadinotte » 11 Jan 2009, 21:53

I love Stargate Atlantis [and the whole stargate franchise] but i havent watched it yet, i recorded it though. I'll watch it eventually and then wait for it to be all wrapped up with the 2 hour movie.
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 11 Jan 2009, 21:53

ariadinotte wrote:I love Stargate Atlantis [and the whole stargate franchise] but i havent watched it yet, i recorded it though. I'll watch it eventually and then wait for it to be all wrapped up with the 2 hour movie.

No comment. Go watch it.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 11 Jan 2009, 22:02

I am a huge SG1 geek, but never really got into Atlantis. *shrugs*
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 11 Jan 2009, 22:14

2stepz wrote:I am a huge SG1 geek, but never really got into Atlantis. *shrugs*

You know, I didn't start watching until the back half of the first season, but when I saw McKay, I had to go back and watch them all. And I really fell in love with the characters. They're no SG-1, but they're not supposed to be. *nods*
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 11 Jan 2009, 22:49

McKay was the heart of that show. He was also Canadian!
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 11 Jan 2009, 22:49

I have enjoyed the Stargate series as a great source of scifi escapism. I think I would definitely put it above the last two series of Star Trek (not that that is saying much). Atlantis is mainly good because of David Hewlet (McKay). (BTW. Hewlet was also awesome in Cube and a Canadian TV show called Traders)

I found the season finale pretty much par for the course. Bad stuff happens, everyone in danger, last minute improbable rescue/risky maneuver/heroic sacrifice that somehow manages to leave all the important people totally fine. The whole connection between part 1 and 2 was kinda cool, though.

Is there going to be a TV movie or two like they did for SG-1?
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 11 Jan 2009, 23:02

That's why they're killing the series so early--they want to do MANY Atlantis movies. Unlike SG-1, the Big Bads are still really Big Bads. There are still upwards of 50 Wraith Hive ships in Pegasus, so...
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 11 Jan 2009, 23:09

AND the alien race that they came across with the dimension jumping version of Deadalus.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 11 Jan 2009, 23:14

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:AND the alien race that they came across with the dimension jumping version of Deadalus.

AND the Lost Tribe of Asgard. There's no way they're done fucking the galaxy, either.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 12 Jan 2009, 00:10

browncoat

Postby browncoat » 12 Jan 2009, 05:55

Misty wrote:
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
PeterW

Postby PeterW » 12 Jan 2009, 06:09

I really enjoy Stargate (SG1&ATL), mainly because it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's just fun to watch.... even though the plots are pretty, well... Voyager-ish. But the main attraction for me is McKay. God, the episode with him, Bill Nye and Neil Tyson was hilarious. I could watch that guy for hours.

Anyways, the finale. Well, I pretty much agree with Paul here, it was an episode of Stargate Atlantis, with maybe a bit more sfx and a nice heart-warming ending scene. I liked it. :)

I'm glad to hear that they'll be making movies à la SG-1, I'm gonna start feeling depressed if I don't have anything nice to balance off BSG. ;)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 12 Jan 2009, 08:36

theduckthief wrote:McKay was the heart of that show. He was also Canadian!
You forgetting Zelenka?

True, McKay is great, but his interactions with Zelenka really mark a high point in each episode.

Anyways, I have to wait 'till February to see anything from Atlantis.
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 12 Jan 2009, 11:57

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
theduckthief wrote:McKay was the heart of that show. He was also Canadian!
You forgetting Zelenka?

True, McKay is great, but his interactions with Zelenka really mark a high point in each episode.

Quite. The only time a TV show has ever nearly made me cry was when Rodney apologized to Zalenka for being such a dick to him all the time. It was just so sweet. D:
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Jan 2009, 12:41

I was a huge fan of SG-1 and Atlantis (when I get into Sci-Fi, I get IN to sci-fi), but while Atlantis still had some great episodes towards the end, I found the quality of the series as a whole had gone down from the first three.

As for the last episode itself, as a whole, I liked it, but the whole "wormhole drive" thing I can't stand. No mention at all of anything like it in the entire runs of SG-1 and Atlantis, and it's suddenly brought up in the last 15 minutes of the episode. Couldn't they have just spent time repairing the Hyperdrive, and create tension that way and still have them come in in the nick of time?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 12 Jan 2009, 14:19

Master Gunner wrote:As for the last episode itself, as a whole, I liked it, but the whole "wormhole drive" thing I can't stand.

Agreed. How many times has it been said in the franchise that a wormhole can only be maintained via a Stargate? Seriously, writers, you can do better than that..
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 12 Jan 2009, 15:07

browncoat wrote:
Misty wrote:
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 12 Jan 2009, 17:23

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think the sound of a laughing Wraith is one of the creepiest things Atlantis has given us?

Also, RE: Wormhole drive? I'm mostly just angry that they used it off-screen.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Jan 2009, 18:22

DmitriW wrote:Also, RE: Wormhole drive? I'm mostly just angry that they used it off-screen.

That's a lot of it too. It could have been epic. But no. Can't have that.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
DmitriW

Postby DmitriW » 12 Jan 2009, 18:53

Master Gunner wrote:
DmitriW wrote:Also, RE: Wormhole drive? I'm mostly just angry that they used it off-screen.

That's a lot of it too. It could have been epic. But no. Can't have that.

Remember when they opened the Supergate? Good times. They should have given it that kind of epic treatment.

Return to “General Discussion”