Keeanu Reeves confirmed for Spike Spiegel.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ZephCrow

Keeanu Reeves confirmed for Spike Spiegel.

Postby ZephCrow » 17 Jan 2009, 13:28

Searching around for new information on the sort, I recently stumbled on rather...disconcerting information. In the new, US production of a Cowboy Bebop movie, Keanu Reeves has been chosen to play the part of Spike Spiegel.

While I don't dislike Keanu Reeves, I'm just a little concerned by the news. I'm not entirely sure of what to think about it. He has the facial structure and martial arts background, but I can't shake this feeling.

Has anyone else heard of this or any other information about it? If so, how do you feel about it

More information at this link here: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b79405_keanu_saddles_up_cowboy_bebop.html
Last edited by ZephCrow on 18 Jan 2009, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 17 Jan 2009, 13:40

There was a thread or something around about it, it was even discussed during Ask An Alex Live recently.

Yeah, it's worrying as all heck. But worse still is the live-action Akira taking place in Los Angeles...
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 17 Jan 2009, 14:16

Lyinginbedmon wrote:There was a thread or something around about it, it was even discussed during Ask An Alex Live recently.

Eep. :oops: I'm sorry to repeat. I missed the thread and I don't frequently watch Ask an Alex Live. Though I try to as often as possible.

Wow. I haven't heard any of the info on the Akira movie. LA definitely wouldn't be my first choice location to film. Yikes.

I feel that the decisions made on the US adaptions of the Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell stories have most of the fans rolling restless in their sleep. Not to mention the upcoming Dragonball Z movie.

Thank you for the info! Have you heard anything on the Ghost in the Shell movie?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 17 Jan 2009, 15:07

Frankly I'm optimistic about the Cowboy Bebopp project. Their hearts are clearly in the right place with it, and I think they are actively trying not to fuck it up.

Keanu Reeves was a shoe in for Spike from the start, not because he looks like him, (though he does) but because he's a massive Raging fan of the anime, and he's been pushing for it to get done from the start. I have confidence, that someone who purports himself to like the source material so much wouldn't take on the roll unless he felt he could pul it off.

Who knows - it could be the role of his career.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 17 Jan 2009, 15:26

All I've ever heard about this is from the LRR forum discussions. I love the series & it would be interesting to see in live action on the big screen (like Akira & Evangelion) but it's still disappointing that Hollywood keeps doing so many remakes & sequels. It's almost like they're expected to produce a certain number of movies each year but they just don't have the time or resources to make all of them original & unique.

In any case, I'll see the new Bebop movie but if it will never be able to take away from my enjoyment of the original series if it sucks.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 17 Jan 2009, 17:25

I still maintain that the best live action version of Cowboy Bebop was Firefly (yes, even though it's not ACTUALLY a live action Cowboy Bebop)... and I'm not too keen on animes being made into live action movies anyway.
If the movie turns out to be good, I'll be surprised, but not because of Keanu Reeves, but because of the same reason I'll be surprised if the Watchmen movie is any good: the original series, which is spread out over multiple episodes (volumes) was able to incorporate a lot of minor things that turned into major things; a movie version would seem like the Cliff's Notes version: you get the basic story, but miss the intricacies of the whole work.

I guess, though, it depends on how they go about making the movie. If they decide to take ideas from it and make it their own thing, it could be good. If they decide to just make a movie based on, not inspired by, the source material, then it'll fall flat.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 17 Jan 2009, 17:32

Matt wrote:Keanu Reeves was a shoe in for Spike from the start, not because he looks like him, (though he does) but because he's a massive Raging fan of the anime, and he's been pushing for it to get done from the start. I have confidence, that someone who purports himself to like the source material so much wouldn't take on the roll unless he felt he could pul it off.

A fair point. After all, we have exhibit A:
However, there's also exhibit B:
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 17 Jan 2009, 18:08

Well that's Nicolas Cage, he's bad most of the time when he's not playing anything other then himself. An awkward man who has somewhat charm
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
kurik42

Preserving the past

Postby kurik42 » 17 Jan 2009, 18:10

As long as the movie doesn't try to change any of the set history from the series then it shouldn't be all that bad. For example, in the "cowboy bebop movie" they did not loom on explaining the past of the group and focused on making, in essence, a stand alone 115 minute episode. Not saying the live action can't mention any of the past, just that they don't try changing anything already set.

As for Keanu Reeves I share Matt's enthusiasm for his ability to fulfill the role of Spike. What I am concerned about is how the other characters will be portrailed and who is going to play them?
Choke on that, causality!
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 17 Jan 2009, 18:18

Meh. I don't expect it to be anything great, but I still plan on seeing it.

That is a rather jarring likeness between Spike and Keanu Reeves, though.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Jan 2009, 18:25

Jillers wrote:I still maintain that the best live action version of Cowboy Bebop was Firefly

If this is true, I might just watch Cowboy Bebop (and, by extension, anime).
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 17 Jan 2009, 18:49

Matt wrote:Keanu Reeves was a shoe in for Spike from the start, not because he looks like him, (though he does) but because he's a massive Raging fan of the anime, and he's been pushing for it to get done from the start. I have confidence, that someone who purports himself to like the source material so much wouldn't take on the roll unless he felt he could pul it off.

Who knows - it could be the role of his career.

-m

Thats an interesting point. I didn't actually know he was a fan of the series in the first place. Anything talking about his role in the movie just mentions his part in it, and not really much else.

I guess we'll just have to see.

Also, in the style of Dominic Appleguard, Exhibit C:

People were very uncertain as Heath Ledger as The Joker, but he managed to prove us all wrong.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 17 Jan 2009, 19:57

Matt wrote:Frankly I'm optimistic about the Cowboy Bebopp project. Their hearts are clearly in the right place with it, and I think they are actively trying not to fuck it up.

Keanu Reeves was a shoe in for Spike from the start, not because he looks like him, (though he does) but because he's a massive Raging fan of the anime, and he's been pushing for it to get done from the start. I have confidence, that someone who purports himself to like the source material so much wouldn't take on the roll unless he felt he could pul it off.

-m

the day the earth stood still.

anyway, i already spent ages raving about this in the other thread.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 17 Jan 2009, 23:01

Faye:
jet:
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 17 Jan 2009, 23:20

anelina jolie can eat my ass. I'd be tempted not to see it on principle if whe were faye.

I am not angry at you.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 17 Jan 2009, 23:21

Matt wrote:anelina jolie can eat my ass. I'd be tempted not to see it on principle if whe were faye.

Marry me. And make me a citizen.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 17 Jan 2009, 23:31

Matt wrote:anelina jolie can eat my ass. I'd be tempted not to see it on principle if whe were faye.

Seconded. The first thought I had when they said they had not cast the rest of the characters yet was, "If Angelina Jolie is Faye, I'm not seeing it."
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 17 Jan 2009, 23:39

Faye?

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 18 Jan 2009, 01:00

Why can't Hollywood make original movies anymore?

Why does the American movie-going world put up with Hollywood's completely unoriginaly movie-making practices?

Why is our culture turning into "Oh hey guys, remember this awesome thing from back when? Here's the same basic premise and vaguely similar characters with an uninspired script and boatloads of CGI. Isn't it awesome? Give us more money."

~Alja~
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 18 Jan 2009, 02:27

Alja-Markir wrote:Why can't Hollywood make original movies anymore?

Why does the American movie-going world put up with Hollywood's completely unoriginaly movie-making practices?

Why is our culture turning into "Oh hey guys, remember this awesome thing from back when? Here's the same basic premise and vaguely similar characters with an uninspired script and boatloads of CGI. Isn't it awesome? Give us more money."

~Alja~

i boycott. none of these movies will ever make a cent off me.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 18 Jan 2009, 03:01

ZephCrow wrote:Also, in the style of Dominic Appleguard, Exhibit C:

People were very uncertain as Heath Ledger as The Joker, but he managed to prove us all wrong.

Ledger also killed himself before the movie premiered.

Reeves HAS to be in this movie!
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 18 Jan 2009, 03:07

Then again, Ledger played a psycho and totally played the part. Them things could possibly get to you... That and stress and so forth.

Spiegel isn't nearly as twisted a role.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Re: Keeanu Reeves confirmed for Spike Spiegel.

Postby tamaness » 18 Jan 2009, 05:10

ZephCrow wrote:More information at this link here: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b79405_Keanu_Saddles_Up_for__lt_i_gt_Cowboy_Bebop_lt__i_gt_.html

Link fix'd
Last edited by tamaness on 18 Jan 2009, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 18 Jan 2009, 09:04

Alja-Markir wrote:Why does the American movie-going world put up with Hollywood's completely unoriginaly movie-making practices?

I don't. I only go to the movies once or twice a year. But come on, it was to see Batman. The movie I saw before that in the theater was Happy Feet.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 18 Jan 2009, 12:26

And Hollywood wonders why people pirate.

~Alja~

Return to “General Discussion”