Art-ish thinge...yeah...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Art-ish thinge...yeah...

Postby Smeghead » 18 Jan 2009, 09:32

So, I finally got off my ass to draw something, been a while. Now while my skills at photoshop may have been apparent now and then here, my drawing skills are not... well... as good no.

I'm posting the link so that it won't ruin the thread frame
http://warran.deviantart.com/art/Sunset-Lovers-109859993

This simple thing took me ages to draw, maybe like 40 hours or so spread out over 2 weeks; I'm so slow at making thiese things one would almost expect them to be fantastic looking, only to end up looking like that :P

Edit: 200 posts already?...
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 18 Jan 2009, 09:36

The landscape is good, and so are the bodies of the characters, but their faces are really, really weird looking.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 18 Jan 2009, 10:00

If you'd like feedback, I first recommend that you not try to draw in an 'anime' style, that you not outline objects, and that you rough out the basic anatomy of people before you start drawing them.

99% of attempts to draw things that look 'anime' always end up looking really, really phony, because you're basically trying to draw another person's art style, rather than trying to render an actual object. I find this is often a crutch for people who are new to drawing, because they learn to draw one eye or one nose or something from a very simple template and then simply repeat that, but really it will hold you back from learning to render arbitrary shapes, and if you don't understand what the stylized forms are based on, they will end up looking like a bunch of symbols stuck together rather than, say, an actual face.

While, for some cartoony drawings, I think selective outlining (where you outline in a slightly darker and more saturated version of the same colour) can look all right, black outlines around everything generally do not look very good. The only reason to outline a figure is to make it 'pop' more against a background, but really there are much better ways to distinguish foreground objects from background objects (aerial perspective, depth of field, etc.), especially when putting together a drawing with more subtle gradations of colour (notice outlining tends to be used on cartoony figures shaded with large blocks of colour, where it is less obtrusive). Black outlines around every object in your drawing, particularly when you're trying to use a more painterly style, will look really weird.

Regarding anatomy, you might want to work on doing really quick roughs of figures in a variety of poses rather than putting a lot of time and effort into a single picture. While the little details in your picture, like cloth folds, look fine, some of the gross anatomical details are a bit wonky (what is happening to the neck of the girl on the left?). My recommendation is to work on drawing actual, non-cartoon figures. That way you can work on drawing from reference and get your general forms behaving correctly.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 18 Jan 2009, 10:27

i do not draw, but i sometimes paint, and the composition isn't very pleasing, the piece is too centered around the people and they just stand out too much. you could add some blue to that red to make the characters "fit in" with the background more.

the fence is actualy really well placed though, i just think that you could position the characters better to give it a more natural feel have someone sit on a fence or something similar to what u want it to look like in the drawing, then just quickly sketch it out, i think you will be suprised at how different actual people look when sitting on a fence. also i think overall the colors are very stock, but mainly the water in the background could be darker and maybe more green or blue.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 18 Jan 2009, 12:59

The faces are a huge distraction from the rest of the piece. They look like something on the verge of Anime and a simple cartoon. My advice would be to work on faces. If you are going to draw anime then you should make the eyes bigger and more apparent, the noses just need a little work cause the look slightly off. But I would also suggest that you try to draw something that looks more realistic, if you can draw something that looks real then it will be easier to draw something that looks anime. Also people don't puff their chest out like that, the natural curve of the spine is to go away from the head which mean that the chest is usually curved inward, not puffed out. For the chest puff to look natural her arms would have to be farther behind her back. Otherwise I think everything looks pretty good, especially the clothes they have some good detail in there
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 18 Jan 2009, 13:48

The only thing i have to say is just the positions they are sitting in look a little stiff and unnatural. Like it was said above, you should have someone sit on a fence and study the way people sit naturally and sketch a little... it will help

other then that, it looks good! Keep working on it!
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 18 Jan 2009, 14:22

The reason for the semi anime is that I use to try to draw anime eyes and such but gave up on it, so I'm basically using the head designs of anime with teh exception of eyes. It's just a thing, doesn't have to be a good thing though.

As for the chest thing; that's a result left over from teh original sketch. in teh original the arms were slightly more behind them
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 18 Jan 2009, 15:01

Speaking of art-ish stuff, I am taking an Intro to Photography and I am bugging out about our projects already. Unit two is all on fashion and glamour, and I have to do fashion photography. Meep.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 18 Jan 2009, 21:55

tak197 wrote:Speaking of art-ish stuff, I am taking an Intro to Photography and I am bugging out about our projects already. Unit two is all on fashion and glamour, and I have to do fashion photography. Meep.

that sucks. I have NEVER had to do fashion photography after 4 photo classes. I really don't like taking pictures of people or using a studio though...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com

Return to “General Discussion”