RED DWARF IS COMING BACK!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
RobertMc123

Red Dwarf

Postby RobertMc123 » 29 Jan 2009, 01:32

Series 8 was not, to me anyway, Red Dwarf, like I said it was a generic sci-fi sitcom. The comedy in Red Dwarf came from the fact that there was a cast of 4 alone in an almost empty universe and they had to find things to do to keep themselves sane, like going fishing in a world where there were no fish. Plus the fact that Dave Lister, the biggest slob in the universe, was the last human, he was humanitys last hope. Throw Red Dwarf and the whole crew back into the mix and it just loses all that dynamic, plus one thing that didn't sit right with me either, didn't any of the crew of Red Dwarf realise what year it was or the fact that they were 3 million years away from Earth? Didn't Holly think to tell the Captain and maybe explain what had happened?
No, and why? Because by that point Doug Naylor had gone batshit crazy and was just making up as he went and threw continuity out the window.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jan 2009, 03:27

Did you completely miss the first 3 episodes of Series 8? They did try to explain them selves and the captain did know as id some fo the crew thanks to a vending machine.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Jan 2009, 06:23

I'd need to rewatch the episodes again to be certain, but Hollister was aware of the changes and just didn't pursue them for reasons I can't recall.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jan 2009, 06:52

It was kept hushed up until it could be confirmed with Holly (the coneheaded one). Lister and crew were deemed responsible and were put under psychometric testing. They were proved innocent and did not have to spend two years in the Tank, but the way they went about trying to prove themselves innocent had them put in the Tank for two years.
It's never mentioned afterwards but I guess they were trying to get back to earth.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 29 Jan 2009, 14:25

With full intention to gang up:

Because by that point Doug Naylor had gone batshit crazy and was just making up as he went and threw continuity out the window.

Red Dwarf was never worried about continuity. There's the classic example that Lister had his appendix out twice. That was when Rob Grant and Doug Naylor were still both working. It was all part of the charm.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jan 2009, 14:49

ecocd wrote:With full intention to gang up:

Because by that point Doug Naylor had gone batshit crazy and was just making up as he went and threw continuity out the window.

Red Dwarf was never worried about continuity. There's the classic example that Lister had his appendix out twice. That was when Rob Grant and Doug Naylor were still both working. It was all part of the charm.

The fans came up with a reason for the two appendix to make it work, in DNA when he was turned into a chicken and back again the machine recreated his appendix. The other glaring errors are the mention of white midget in Body Swap (machine was never built in the end) and Lister talking about playing pool with planets when he eats an edible pot noodle.
But hey...who's keeping track of these anyway?
RobertMc123

Red Dwarf

Postby RobertMc123 » 29 Jan 2009, 15:23

I know Red Dwarf isn't all that concerned with continuity in the little things but when it comes to the main plotline they always went with it. I'll be honest I am not as tuned up on series 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf because I watched them once and never again because they were so bad. Series 1 to 6 I have watched many a time, and I bought every season of Red Dwarf for my wife, but we have never put any of the dvds of series 7 or 8 into the dvd player.

Anyway my point is, and has been through this entire thread, don't get your hopes up, this end to Red Dwarf is probably going to suck balls. Unless they can convince Rob Grant to come back and help write the finale, I think its going to be more of the same of series 7 and 8, head scratching barely laughable nonsense. Such as bringing back Dwayne Dibley to get a cheap laugh, or have Rimmer act like Ace Rimmer once again for a cheap laugh. Once is fine, such as the emohawk episode, that came out of nowhere and everyone found it funny.

That being said.......

I'll probably watch it.

1....2.....3 and start flaming!
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 29 Jan 2009, 16:15

Dwayne Dibley in Emohawk was awesome. "... you never know!"
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jan 2009, 16:30

Can't Smeg Won't Smeg was written with out Rob and that was pretty good, probably had alot of improv in that too.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 18 Mar 2009, 07:03

Recently announced, Dave will begin broadcasting their new episodes Easter weekend, April 10-12. Our British friends will get first crack, but I'm counting on the Interweb to make these available for the unwashed masses very soon thereafter.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 18 Mar 2009, 10:14

finally the superior race this side of the pond get something before you lot!!! i really hope they do it well, it would be a shame if this were a flop
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 18 Mar 2009, 10:48

Hopefully it won't be as big a flop as the Doctor Who Christmas Special: 'Voyage of the Damned'.

Return to “General Discussion”