Wow...winter driving

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Wow...winter driving

Postby empath » 31 Jan 2009, 06:52

So Thursday I got paid, when I got home, the wife and I decided to pop out to get pizza. Rather than be really lazy and get delivery, we drove over to our fave shop - the storm that'd hit the US Midwest the day before and the East Coast and Maritimes Wednesday night had struck here that day - I watched the snow start at work, then change to ice and freezing rain, then just cold rain, and finally peter out before I started the drive home (I got lucky, to be honest). Because of that, delivery would a) take forever, 2) possibly not even be available because of foul weather, and c) be a hardship on the drivers (whom we kinda know and like by now).

So, on the way there, we're in the left lane of a divided, four-lane 'highway' with a 70km/h speed limit. I'm playing it cautious at somewhere between 50 & 60 due to the half-inch of slush and snow on the road, so we're getting people passing us - good for them.

One chap in a sporty coupe either decides the people in the right lane still aren't going fast enough, or simply covets the open space ahead of me, and makes a quick lane change as soon as he's clear of my minivan. Once he's in my lane, I notice his rear end start to fishtail left as he 'straightens up' - uh-oh, so my foot comes off the gas and hovers over the brake.

The skid stops, though, and I think "he corrected it, cool" for a split second...before watching the car's tail slip out to the right - he's over-controlled. :(

I begin braking as I watch him skid past ninety degrees, and the wife blurts out "watch out", and my stomach clenches as I wonder if I can stop before our vehicles touch, or someone behind me might not stop in time and bumps me from behind...

When his car is just past perpendicular to the road direction, his drive wheels must of caught traction for a moment, because he jerks 'ahead' (from his perspective) and hops the curb up onto the median and out of my path. I keep an eye on him as we pass, and he stops safely away from the light poles that dot the grassy median, maybe just past 180 degrees and aimed slightly back at our lanes. Just the driver, maybe 20's, looking kinda anxious (duh :) ) but otherwise fine.

On our way back, we saw the tracks in the snow - when traffic cleared, he pulled back into the original lanes and got back on his way to wherever he was going, likely with a little more caution and a little less haste.

He was lucky, but so were we; just remember, folks - that posted speed limit is a maximum for IDEAL ROAD CONDITIONS - if the surface is covered with something or the visibility is poor SLOW DOWN and make changes (turns, accelerating or braking) earlier and more gradually than you usually do!
Cake
Magically Delicious

Re: Wow...winter driving

Postby Cake » 31 Jan 2009, 07:39

empath wrote:We were going slower than the speed limit in the fast lane

People won't slow down. You gotta get out of the fast lane if you want to move slower.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 31 Jan 2009, 07:42

What is the speedlimit on the fastlane on a highway?
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 31 Jan 2009, 08:28

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:What is the speedlimit on the fastlane on a highway?

Its still the same as the other lane, but the "fastlane" is more appropriately called the passing lane. You can only actually be in it if you're passing people in the right lane. No one follows this though
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 31 Jan 2009, 09:39

korri wrote:

Its still the same as the other lane, but the "fastlane" is more appropriately called the passing lane. You can only actually be in it if you're passing people in the right lane. No one follows this though

It's not a rule that you can't use the passing lane only for passing. It's just a commonly accepted practice that helps things move more smoothly. There is nothing anywhere that says you can't/shouldn't pass on the right, and that you can't drive in the left lane when you're not passing someone.

That said, it is widely accepted and common sense that you should drive in the right lane and use the left lane to pass people before moving back into the right lane. It allows people to go the speed they want to go while maximizing traffic flow.

And I agree with you, empath. When there's snow on the road, all bets are off. In Victoria, people don't know how to handle driving in snow. They go too fast and get in tons of accidents needlessly. All you have to do is slow down a bit, take corners slower, and be a little more cautious.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 31 Jan 2009, 10:42

empath wrote:He was lucky, but so were we; just remember, folks - that posted speed limit is a maximum for IDEAL ROAD CONDITIONS

Cake wrote:
empath wrote:We were going slower than the speed limit in the fast lane

People won't slow down. You gotta get out of the fast lane if you want to move slower.

The fast lane isn't there to speed. Especially in East Coast freezing rain ice sleet snow weather. Anyone who's been through drivers ed or knows how to drive knows the exact same thing empath said.. Posted speed limit is MAX for ideal conditions. You're taught to go slow when it's not, no matter if that douche bag in his ford pickup double lifted is speeding by, fishtailing and being a tit tard. This winter I was stuck going 5 km/hr down a hill just so I wouldnt crash and kill anyone when the posted speed limit is 50 km/hr. You HAVE to be aware of the road conditions.

He didnt say he was in the fast lane, only that he was goigng slower then the speed.. which I commend him for. Not all people are cautious and wary, which results in fatal accidents.

You have to remember, most places in canada dont shut down when there's snow on the ground. People just need ot learn how to drive properly. Sometimes I envy Victoria for the caution they take in winter condition (most people anyways) , because you get serious douchewads in Calgary who are pushy drivers when the roads are a sheet of ice.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 31 Jan 2009, 10:49

I know they should slow down. I live in Colorado. I know all about snow driving. I also said people WOULDN'T slow down. It's just best to get out their way before they try to kill you with their vehicles. Also, he said he was in the left lane, which is the fast lane.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 31 Jan 2009, 12:23

...seemed appropriate in a way.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 31 Jan 2009, 20:35

Tim wrote: It's not a rule that you can't use the passing lane only for passing. It's just a commonly accepted practice that helps things move more smoothly. There is nothing anywhere that says you can't/shouldn't pass on the right, and that you can't drive in the left lane when you're not passing someone.

Maybe in Canada... in the states it is illegal to drive in the left lane for an extended period of time. I have friends who have been ticketed for that, actually.

Tim wrote: And I agree with you, empath. When there's snow on the road, all bets are off. In Victoria, people don't know how to handle driving in snow. They go too fast and get in tons of accidents needlessly. All you have to do is slow down a bit, take corners slower, and be a little more cautious.

LOL... you think it's bad up there? You should have been here in Vegas for the "Forty Year Snow Storm" in december. That was hillarious to watch (as long as you weren't on the road).
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 31 Jan 2009, 21:10

korri wrote:

What the rest of the forum fails to realize is that Pennsylvania passed a "No driving in the left lane unless you are passing or exiting left" law two years ago. But yes, no one follows it (which pisses me off).
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 31 Jan 2009, 23:07

That is a stupid, ridiculous law. Sorry.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
SilentBobCDN

Postby SilentBobCDN » 31 Jan 2009, 23:51

I agree with Tim. One of my favorite things to do back in Alberta, when I was driving home from Edmonton, was to drive the speed limit, or just under (the line for 110 is visible right next to the spedo needle) in the left hand lane, and see how many people flip me off. I live under the opinion that there is no such thing as a passing or 'fast' lane. And if I ever get pulled over because of that, I'd be pissed.

And no, the only common sense about 'driving on the right, passing on the left' is that you're out of the way of assholes driving 150kmh on the highway. As far as I'm concerned, when I drive the speed limit in the left lane, I'm performing a public service, and saving people from possibly getting ticketed for speeding.

Also, here on the island, the sections of the Malahat that are 2-lane, have signs saying "Passing/Travel Lane", which works... I guess.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Feb 2009, 03:26

Oh, by the way kiddies, this was not a highway - it was Prince Phillip Drive, the central thoroughfare for the city. Thus the quote marks around that otherwise misleading word.

Imagine Broadway with a grassy median interrupted by turning sidings every twenty yards. We just LET you drive over forty MPH down it.

Here in Newfoundland, we do have "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" signs and the unofficial rule of 'you can speed when passing'...for HIGHWAYS.

Thanks for playing, though. ;)

(Sorry if I wasn't clear on that - Cake did make a reasonable argument based on the info at hand)

2stepz wrote:LOL... you think it's bad up there? You should have been here in Vegas for the "Forty Year Snow Storm" in december. That was hillarious to watch (as long as you weren't on the road).

Heh, back a few years, I was working tech support for a US broadband provider. One of the markets we served was Georgia...the time they got snow. I remember spending more time explaining to Atlanta end-users on winter driving than dealing with their internet... :)
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 01 Feb 2009, 07:07

empath wrote:this was not a highway

OOOOOOOOoooooooooooh.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 01 Feb 2009, 14:05

AAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 01 Feb 2009, 16:24

God, people are crazy in winter. It's a really good thing no one was hurt, and I'm glad you guys are okay. :)

But yeah, way down south here across the border, they had a policeman on the news saying that they were going to give tickets to anyone going over 45 mph in really bad snow on the highway. Let's see if they enforce it.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 01 Feb 2009, 22:06

You totally broke the onomatopoeia chain.

>:C

korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 01 Feb 2009, 22:21

Tim wrote:That is a stupid, ridiculous law. Sorry.

well it comes from Pennsylvania, the land of ridiculous, pointless laws
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 01 Feb 2009, 22:24

SilentBobCDN wrote:And no, the only common sense about 'driving on the right, passing on the left' is that you're out of the way of assholes driving 150kmh on the highway. As far as I'm concerned, when I drive the speed limit in the left lane, I'm performing a public service, and saving people from possibly getting ticketed for speeding.

I don't actually agree with this. The majority of drivers are comfortable with, and will never get ticketed for, going roughly 10 km/h faster than the posted speed limit (in good conditions). If you prefer to go the speed limit, or even slightly under, then it is your responsibility to drive in the right-hand lane on the highway so that people who want to go faster can pass by you safely and conveniently. If you are driving in such a way that it makes it difficult for other drivers to pass you, then you are being not only inconsiderate but, in my opinion, unsafe.

It's partially a psychological thing, and partially a common courtesy thing, and very much a traffic flow thing.

(I apologize for any seemingly aggressive wording in this post. I'm not trying to get anyone riled up; just trying to make a firm point.)
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 02 Feb 2009, 01:01

Tim wrote:I don't actually agree with this. The majority of drivers are comfortable with, and will never get ticketed for, going roughly 10 km/h faster than the posted speed limit (in good conditions). If you prefer to go the speed limit, or even slightly under, then it is your responsibility to drive in the right-hand lane on the highway so that people who want to go faster can pass by you safely and conveniently. If you are driving in such a way that it makes it difficult for other drivers to pass you, then you are being not only inconsiderate but, in my opinion, unsafe.

It's partially a psychological thing, and partially a common courtesy thing, and very much a traffic flow thing.

(I apologize for any seemingly aggressive wording in this post. I'm not trying to get anyone riled up; just trying to make a firm point.)

I don't agree. See the Motor Vehicle Act Chapter 146. Sure you won't be ticketed, but it's your job as car that's coming up behind a car that's going the speed limit to slow down. That's part of driving safely. But driving 50km/h is not driving slow on city streets. See 145 for slow driving law.

As for passing on the right, that too is law. Chapters 150,151,157 and 158. Basically means that if you're on a highway and you're passing someone on the right, it's because the lane to the left of you is going slower, like in traffic. But if the road is clear and you come up in the middle of a three laned highway and pass on the right you would be breaking the law.

I'm sorry, but speed kills. And it's that's the reason the government of BC has used for it's GLP. I am an avid cyclist who once upon a time was a courier and was hit twice from people who were going too fast or weren't doing their job as operators of heavy machinery. Cars need to slow down on city streets.

Getting back the reason for this thread in the first place. I've survived my first winter of real winter driving. OR as close as a Vancouverite will ever get to real winter driving. I survived because while my car did get stuck, I had a shovel and knew how to get unstuck. I also specifically went at least 5km/h under the speed limit on major roads that had not been cleared yet and when they were I still left large amounts of space to slow down because of the poor conditions. Honestly it's common sense to slow the fuck down.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 02 Feb 2009, 10:50

If you are purposefully driving at a speed much slower than the cars behind you (such as going below the speed limit in the left lane) you are disrupting the flow of traffic.

Which is more dangerous than going 10 or so km about the speed limit - also, it is illegal.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 02 Feb 2009, 11:05

I agree that people should slow down. I do not agree that it is your responsibility to drive in such a way that other cards have no choice but to go as slowly as you are going. That is disruptive to traffic. This is why people should drive primarily in the right ("slow") lane on the highway, allowing other people to use the left ("fast") lane to pass them if they wish to.

It's basically defensive driving. You should drive in such a way that you are not putting yourself in the way of other cars or disrupting the flow of traffic. You should always be giving yourself, and everyone around you, a proper outlet.

Essentially, I see driving slow in the fast lane as reverse tailgating. It's just as annoying and even more disruptive.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Feb 2009, 11:12

Tim wrote:I agree that people should slow down. I do not agree that it is your responsibility to drive in such a way that other cards have no choice but to go as slowly as you are going.

I think you've spent too much tie with that Viking Poker game.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 02 Feb 2009, 11:44

There's no law about passing on the left in Alaska, to my knowledge. Then again, outside of Anchorage the widest 'highways' are two lanes in the first place.

People drive fairly well here. There is an absolute preponderance of 4x4 and AWD vehicles in Juneau (By the DMV, every other car sold at a dealership here is a Subaru), which certainly helps people get around (but does not, as it shouldn't have a significant effect on how they drive).

It's always after the first snow/ice storm of the year that it gets crazy. After that people seem to "switch gears" into snow-driving mindsets, which is good. I've hauled a number of people out of the ditch after the first icy days, which is always good for a chuckle on both sides.

I like to think I'm a very careful driver, but doesn't everyone? I have actually wrecked a car on an icy road (1992 Honda Prelude, black ice, egh), and that was no fun at all. My current car is much more sure-footed under every road condition I've put it against, but I try not to be too stupid.
Jangles

Postby Jangles » 02 Feb 2009, 12:26

My pet peave about Alberta drivers, is that no one knows the difference between a yield a merge. This is particularly troublesome in winter when people half pull into a lane on a yield sign. One particular incident that happened to me and my friend Shane about 2 weeks ago was, we were coming down a street in Calgary where the speed limit is 50, we were doing 40 because the roads were less the ideal, even in his big ass chevy 4WD diesel silverado. There was a what looked like 75 year old woman half pulled into our lane (where there was a yield sign) just sitting there, so Shane slowly applies the breaks and attempts to change lanes, when we start to spin, we rotate about 90 degrees while going down a hill, this old woman is still just sitting there jaw wide open and eyes the size of saucers. We end up coming to a stop about 4 feet from her car when we mounted the curb and his back wheel caught a storm drain, there were several jerry cans of diesel in the bed of the truck because this is a truck that spends a lot of time out of town, so extra fuel is sometimes needed. The jerry cans hit the back of the cab and ruptured, spilling about 8-10 litres of diesel over the cab, it went everywhere, the old woman then flipped us off, rolled down her window and yelled something, we couldnt roll ours down, or we could die (LOLZ), and then she peeled out of the intersection. This proves old people shouldn't drive especially in winter because she didn't even attempt to move.
The hardest part of being me? The mustache.

Return to “General Discussion”