What Are You Reading Now?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Feb 2009, 16:11

Cake wrote:I'm reading The Book of Mormon.
I haven't read that, but I hear the ending is really sweet!
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Feb 2009, 16:32

Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Don't patronize me.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 28 Feb 2009, 16:42

wait... people still read books... those pages you turn? dang I'm stuck with reading internet posts online... I watch movies rather then read books, as it's goes faster, and generally I find it easier just to sit and watch it. that said, I'm doing more reading as I'm learning Japanese. Once I learn the kanji I expect I'll pick up vocabulary much faster.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 28 Feb 2009, 16:47

Beta-guy wrote:wait... people still read books... those pages you turn? dang I'm stuck with reading internet posts online... I watch movies rather then read books, as it's goes faster, and generally I find it easier just to sit and watch it. that said, I'm doing more reading as I'm learning Japanese. Once I learn the kanji I expect I'll pick up vocabulary much faster.

"What is this, some kind of sandwich with words on it?"
Lazy_gohndi

Postby Lazy_gohndi » 28 Feb 2009, 17:13

Just finished reading a bok called "The Sience of Star Wars"
"I want to seduce the barmaid"
DM rolls...
"You get herpies, good job door nob"
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 28 Feb 2009, 17:30

I just finished reading Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. It wasn't my favourite of his by far, but a good book.

Currently reading Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland. I'm about half way through it but it's quite good so far.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Feb 2009, 17:46

Kara wrote:I just finished reading Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. It wasn't my favourite of his by far, but a good book.

Currently reading Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland. I'm about half way through it but it's quite good so far.

Ahh! My two favourite authors! Have you read Bluebeard by Vonnegut or Girlfriend in a Coma by Coupland? They're my favourites of their works.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Feb 2009, 18:28

Cake wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Don't patronize me.
I'm not, I haven't actually read it but everyone I talk to that has says it's a great book with a fantastic ending.

I've tried reading the Bible a few times, but I just couldn't get into it. The characters were very unbelievable and the dialogue was just way too cheesy for my tastes.

...I'm going to get punched but I'm actually being serious here, I'm not trying to be anti-religious though I realise it might look that way.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 28 Feb 2009, 18:51

The best part was when God had bears maul all those kids.
AwesomeAndrew

Postby AwesomeAndrew » 28 Feb 2009, 19:03

I just picked up Snowcrash after hearing many good things about it and I continue to read Manga because I for some reason love it, right now I'm into the series Sgt. Frog, it's hilarious.
This signature is mediocre.
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 28 Feb 2009, 19:03

Nevrmore wrote:Juggling Notes from the Underground, The Brothers Karamazov, Don Quixote and Flowers for Algernon. I tried to read Gulliver's Travels but gave up 50 pages in because the writing style is just repulsive.

Ugh, I read through all of Gulliver and will never make that mistake again. Swift sacrifices the plot in order to get across his message about 18th century society.

I'm currently slogging through Les Mis and will probably have to renew it until June to finish the darn thing.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
goat

Postby goat » 28 Feb 2009, 19:52

ooo, some of you have very good taste. Good luck to those of you doing the Wheel of Time; it's good stuff, but will eat your (literary) life.

Right now, I'm reading The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. It's alright, not quite what I had expected, but alright. It focuses a lot more on telling a narrative of the media surrounding event rather than presenting an insightful discourse about it.

And just for fun, before this was On the Road, which was a delightful post-apocalyptic tale. It was actually so good that I finished it in a day.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 28 Feb 2009, 20:56

I'm reading Les Miserables. It makes me feel bad. D:
I can't think of a signature.
FlintPaper577

Postby FlintPaper577 » 28 Feb 2009, 21:03

The last book I read for pure pleasure was The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. It's pretty classic. Such a influential style (the movie's pretty good too).

I'm just starting uni though, so most of my reading is prescribed. Not such a bad thing, as this semester I'll be reading Persuasion (Jane Austen), War and Peace (Tolstoy, actually re-reading), Henry V (Shakespeare (did I really need to say that?)) and The Song of Roland (I presume it's anonymous).
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 28 Feb 2009, 21:10

Re-reading a lot of books: Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroy, and When Your Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris (they're a bunch of short memoirs which makes skipping between them really easy). Also reading Atlas Shrugged, very very slowly, and "Captain Freedom: A Superhero's Quest for Truth, Justice, and the Celebrity He So Richly Deserves"
which I got for free at NYCC.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 28 Feb 2009, 21:16

Jillers wrote:Also reading Atlas Shrugged, very very slowly,

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 28 Feb 2009, 22:18

I picked this up today at The Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity (and Mapparium!) in Boston. It's an academic-style musicological study/history of what makes "cartoon music" cartoon music. And you really can't go wrong with a book that has a chapter titled, "You Really Do Beat the Shit Out of That Cat: Scott' Bradley's (Violent) Music for MGM".
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Feb 2009, 22:51

FlintPaper577 wrote:War and Peace (Tolstoy, actually re-reading)

I just finished that back in December, took me a year to get through the damn thing. I'll probably read it again in a couple years, and just skip over all of Tolstoy's essays. Or, should I say, same essay repeated 563 times.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ariadinotte

Postby ariadinotte » 28 Feb 2009, 23:29

Watchmen and the 2nd book in the New Jedi Order Series
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 01 Mar 2009, 00:14

FlintPaper577 wrote:The last book I read for pure pleasure was The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. It's pretty classic. Such a influential style (the movie's pretty good too).

I hope the book is less confusing than the movie. Bogart and Bacall are the only ones that make that thing watchable.

In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 01 Mar 2009, 00:25

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Cake wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Don't patronize me.
I'm not, I haven't actually read it but everyone I talk to that has says it's a great book with a fantastic ending.

I've tried reading the Bible a few times, but I just couldn't get into it. The characters were very unbelievable and the dialogue was just way too cheesy for my tastes.

...I'm going to get punched but I'm actually being serious here, I'm not trying to be anti-religious though I realise it might look that way.

I've tried reading both. I've never finished either. I don't like to talk about religion.

I need to finish reading The Fountainhead one of these days. I'll need to start it again, though. It's been about 4 years since I left off reading it (because I forgot it in class, and it wasn't there when I went back.)

I don't read as much as I used to. I feel like I'm getting more and more illiterate as time goes by.
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 01 Mar 2009, 09:37

The First Amendment Book by Robert J. Wagman (Author), Burl Osborne (Foreword), Bruce W. Sanford (Afterword).

Rather US-centric I admit.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 01 Mar 2009, 09:44

Oh yeah, I'm also reading a RPG book called Everstone. Which is really good and highly recommended for anyone that likes the 3.5 D&D rules or BESM D20.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
Cmdt_Carpenter

Postby Cmdt_Carpenter » 03 Mar 2009, 18:49

Let's see. Just read Jurassic Park last week, working through the "Collected Works of King Arthur" in which Mordred is suspiciously absent so far, and I'm almost done. Apparently it's not everything. Lancelot hasn't even shown up yet, or as the book calls him, 'Launcelot of the Lake.'

Read Life of Pi a little while ago, and the Little Prince to go with that.

And now I have the excellent question of what to read next.
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 04 Mar 2009, 15:13

Just recently finished Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut and I'm currently reading Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami.

I love threads like this. I'm always interested in new reading material and hearing what people are enjoying is the best way to go by it.

Return to “General Discussion”