Toronto, I salute you.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Nebulous

Toronto, I salute you.

Postby Nebulous » 23 Mar 2009, 07:16

I found LRR about 3-4 days ago via Man cooking with the rather gargantuan burger (sigh I forget the name of the monstrous beast). I was humbled immediately and continued to watch the rest of the man cooking episodes. Shortly after, my brother and I decided to recreate the large burger, and so we did.

As the days past, I began to watch more and more of the various episodes. My all time favorite of course being the cH series. But, it is not the comedy that makes it an insanely great series. It is the people within. You guys have something I have only dreamed of having. A large group of friends who have fun together and have much in common.

You guys have something great, and honestly, I would give away my $3,600 custom built gaming computer (for free) just to have something like that. You guys seem to have a great time, and though there may be those times of petty squabbles, you always pull through to have fun once more.

So LRR, I salute you. For not only providing comedy and entertainment that fits my own humor, and that of many others, but for showing us true meanings of friendship.

Now, the question remains in my mind. If all Canadians are like your crew, I am getting my passport and moving over immediately.
Last edited by Nebulous on 23 Mar 2009, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Mar 2009, 07:20

Yes, join us here in Canada... soon America will see how awesome we all are, and my plan will be complete... bwahahahaha!

...And by that, I mean avoid Toronto. Anywhere else is fine. :p
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 23 Mar 2009, 07:28

Hey!

Okay seriously, what is people's beef with the Tdot. I don't get it.

Also, welcome to the forum, Nebulous. You should go say hi in the introductions sticky.
Last edited by Alex Steacy on 23 Mar 2009, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphroy

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Mar 2009, 07:30

Alex Steacy wrote:Hey!

I kid, it's my hometown, I'll be back there in a month once I'm done school in Kingston. I just don't like living there now.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 23 Mar 2009, 07:51

It the void in space and time where lost and abandoned dreams go to die. For some reason, man decided to build a city on that spot and power it with unicorn tears.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 23 Mar 2009, 07:51

Alex Steacy wrote:Okay seriously, what is people's beef with the Tdot. I don't get it.

Umm there's a lot of reasons to avoid the Tdot even though I have lived there for the majority of my life. Just to name a few...

1. The city is pretty dirty, I hear it was clean back in the day but that was before my time.
2. Out of all the major cities of the world, it probably has the worst transit system.
3. Torontonians are getting ruder and less courteous day by day.

Not to say there aren't good things about Toronto, ie the cultural diversity. But the above list is usually enough to keep people away.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
Seraphroy

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Mar 2009, 07:56

CygnusX1 wrote:
Alex Steacy wrote:Okay seriously, what is people's beef with the Tdot. I don't get it.

Umm there's a lot of reasons to avoid the Tdot even though I have lived there for the majority of my life. Just to name a few...

1. The city is pretty dirty, I hear it was clean back in the day but that was before my time.
2. Out of all the major cities of the world, it probably has the worst transit system.

Not to say there aren't good things about Toronto, ie the cultural diversity. But the above list is usually enough to keep people away.

Having worked for the transit system there last summer, and having my father work as a driver, all I can say is: It could be worse. I HATE Kingston's transit. Buses run every half hour during the day, an hour at night/ all day sunday. They weave through the subdivisions so they miss parts of the city as well.

As for the hate from me on TDot, it's because I don't like metropoli. I like somewhat larger cities, like Kingston or London Ontario, but I don't like the crowded feeling of Toronto. Ever since moving out of Toronto, I've hated going back there.

Also, you can never get the smell of expended unicorn tears out of your nose
Last edited by Seraphroy on 23 Mar 2009, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 23 Mar 2009, 07:58

Ignoring "Tdot" for a moment I want to just say thanks to Nebulous.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Mar 2009, 08:07

Brad wrote:It's the void in space and time where lost and abandoned dreams go to die. For some reason, man decided to build a city on that spot and power it with unicorn tears.
But what about the Weevils? They're pretty cool and they make great slave labour.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 23 Mar 2009, 08:38

I don't have a lot to add to this thread except holy shit another Alaskan.

Dude, you gotta hide. I've been trying to convince these guys that it's just me and a walrus up here, all alone on a huge pile of gold and oil. You're gonna ruin it!
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 23 Mar 2009, 08:53

CygnusX1 wrote:1. The city is pretty dirty, I hear it was clean back in the day but that was before my time.

What on Earth are you talking about?

1.) Yeah there's sometimes a bit of litter on the streets, but that's to be expected of a large city. You make it sound like dead, rotting hobos are strewn on every corner.

2.) For all their shortcomings, I *love* the TTC. The subways run regularly to everywhere interesting and the blue night bus routes never, ever stop running so you never get totally stranded. They've added electronic utilities now that announce stops automatically and some stations have train arrival estimate times. There's even a goddamn GPS display at Spadina station for all the streetcars along that route.

3.) Like the classic joke, I still get people apologizing to me when I bump into them. At worst, I find that people just ignore you but I with the occasional surly worker I can't recall anyone in recent memory who was outright rude to me.

I really believe that Toronto takes WAY more flak than it deserves from the rest of Canada, and I wish it would stop.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 23 Mar 2009, 08:57

Welcome to the LRRdom, Nebulous! Hope you enjoy your stay. That was a nice post.

@Alex: Yes, Toronto gets unfairly ripped on, but it's worth it, because it gives the rest of the country something to unite behind.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 23 Mar 2009, 10:00

Alex Steacy wrote:3.) Like the classic joke, I still get people apologizing to me when I bump into them. At worst, I find that people just ignore you but I with the occasional surly worker I can't recall anyone in recent memory who was outright rude to me.

I really believe that Toronto takes WAY more flak than it deserves from the rest of Canada, and I wish it would stop.

See, maybe the thing is that the flak only comes from Canadians because Toronto is only "rude" by Canadian standards? All the Torontonians I have met seemed much nicer overall than their American counterparts.

Really, there's nothing wrong with Toronto. It's a fine modern city, and it does a lot better for itself than most modern cities. For being a cheap Taiwanese knock-off of New York City, Toronto has nowhere near the crime, poverty, filth, transit problems, education problems, etc.

~Alja~
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 23 Mar 2009, 10:08

One thing that can be said for Toronto at least is that it's a hell of a lot more interesting than Ottawa. Also, I don't drive myself, but according to a greyhound driver I talked to once on my way back from Waterloo, Toronto has the best highway system out of any of the big cities in the States or Canada.

Bus station's a shithole though.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, Nebulous :D
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 23 Mar 2009, 10:34

A friend of mine has been living in Toronto for the last 6 months and she LOVES IT, and once I'm out of debt's I'd like to spend some time there, maybe my friend and I are seeing it from a different perspective seeing as we're both from Mexico, and even while we're from the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in the country, they're not the same as a US or Canada City :S

The one thing I hate the most of living here is that I rarely get to see good movies in the theater, some get here long after the DVD release in the states. Stupid Mexican movie theaters ¬¬... I WANT TO WATCH IN BRUGES!

</rant>
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 23 Mar 2009, 10:46

Gyah! What happened to the thread?! Hmm, perhaps it shall be better off named as "Toronto Discussion and Speculation"! =P
RandomCheese

Postby RandomCheese » 23 Mar 2009, 11:22

Welcome to the forums.

Nebulous wrote:I found LRR about 3-4 days ago via Man cooking with the rather gargantuan burger (sigh I forget the name of the monstrous beast).

It was called the Gigantor.

Seraphroy wrote:As for the hate from me on TDot, it's because I don't like metropoli. I like somewhat larger cities, like Kingston or London Ontario

I disagree. London is one of the most boring places I've lived in. Larger cities are nice, but only if there's something to do in them.
Low quality Youtube sketches? Amazing!
Seraphroy

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Mar 2009, 11:24

Alex Steacy wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:2.) For all their shortcomings, I *love* the TTC. The subways run regularly to everywhere interesting and the blue night bus routes never, ever stop running so you never get totally stranded. They've added electronic utilities now that announce stops automatically and some stations have train arrival estimate times. There's even a goddamn GPS display at Spadina station for all the streetcars along that route.

I wholeheartedly agree with number 2. I mean, yeah, we were forced to add the electronic stop announcements by court, but still. And from what I've heard, one day the GPS system will be universal, so you'll be able to tell when the next bus will reach a stop. That's a long way off, but I would love to see it happen. The subway is almost always on time, barring weather like snow on the tracks in the outdoor sections, or a jumper, and since it runs 20 of 24 hours in a day, you're set to go almost anywhere in Toronto.

And I agree with the last point. I don't like Toronto because of the sheer volume of people in it, but it takes way too much flak for what really is wrong with it.

Cheese, I'd just love to live in London because of the fact I'm gonna be working in hospitals, and would rather be in a larger hospital, while still avoiding the massive cities like Toronto. And since Kingston sucks at hiring my field, there aren't too many places in Ontario that I have an interest in.
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 23 Mar 2009, 11:39

Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 23 Mar 2009, 11:56

Toronto has always been maligned by the rest of the country because for some reason, Canada seems to think we take, take, take. THAT'S QUEBEC!.

This Center of the Universe bullshit is a new development started by Rick Mercer. It was funny while on TV, but David 'lablonde' Miller has taken it as Toronto's tagline. He's a retarded douchebag doing a disservice to us all.

I miss Mel.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 23 Mar 2009, 12:08

ANYWAYS, as Nebulous pointed out with the edit of the thread title, this has gone massively off topic.

Canada is a great country, and yes, you should move here. :)

Of course, there's as much variety among the types of people who live here as there is anywhere else, but on the whole Canadians are great people, in my experience.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 23 Mar 2009, 14:00

Tim wrote:Canada is a great country, and yes, you should move here. :)

Just not to Toronto. Unless you have a few jars of unicorn tears to sell.
All hail the great deku tree!

Twitter

Flickr

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Mar 2009, 14:09

I like that, since you changed the topic name, it looks like you think LRR is based in Toronto.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 23 Mar 2009, 14:12

We only wish
Seraphroy

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Mar 2009, 14:13

Truly, we need something good to talk about with Toronto.

"Yeah, we know everyone hates us, but we have LRR!" would be so awesome to say.

Return to “General Discussion”