Apartment management neglect?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ZephCrow

Apartment management neglect?

Postby ZephCrow » 25 Mar 2009, 11:04

I'm not certain where else to turn to for answers about this, but I assume at least a few of you have had an apartment manager who is intensely hard to get a hold of, even in emergencies.

This is my second apartment, and I have never had many problems in the apartment before this (granted this one is quite a bit older). When I contact the manager here about relatively urgent problems, she never gets back to me about them. After a few months of living here I noticed five pinholes in the bottom of the tub, holes like chips but manage to go all the way through. I tried to contact the manager several times about this and to no response. No damage to me, just damage to the apartment below. But she already knows they are there, and neglects to do anything about it.

A couple weeks ago when it snowed again, water leaked into the inside of the glass of the double-pane window in the bedroom. No real big deal, just a foggy view.

This morning I contacted her with an extremely urgent situation. Because of the window, water had been getting in to the apartment without my knowledge. I moved back a bookshelf in the bedroom near the window and found a large amount of mold covering the wall just above the carpet. It is about a three foot wide, one foot tall coverage of black, green, and white mold built up about half a centimeter from the wall. I am extremely allergic to mold and cannot do a thing about it myself. Being around it makes my throat start to close.

She has not yet contacted me back, even by phone. I am very worried about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or how to handle the situation?
Jangles

Postby Jangles » 25 Mar 2009, 11:07

Does your city have some sort of government run apartment association? Because if so I would go to them, or if you want, just say you'll go to a media source about this, like newspaper or TV, that should get a fast response.
The hardest part of being me? The mustache.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 25 Mar 2009, 11:13

A large number of apartment building are generally managed through property management companies, if this is the case with your building I would suggest getting a hold of them. If this isn't the case and its privately own see if you can figure out who the owner is. If the owner turns out to be the manager give your 1 month and get the hell out.

And if that isn't an option look into getting in contact with the city and find out who you need to talk to about getting your managers ass in gear.

Do you live in Victoria? And if so where?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Mar 2009, 11:22

Where do you live? If it's B.C. check out the Tenancy Branch. That site outlines the legal roles and responsibilities of you and your landlord. If not in BC check your state or federal government for a similar branch.

Landlords are responsible for maintaining rental units in accordance with health and safety codes. If you try to contact the landlord twice for a emergency repair (something that would damage the building or make it unsafe to live in) you can have it repaired and send the bill to the landlord.

You have rights. Use them.

When you say 'contacted' what do you mean? Phoned and they never picked up? Left a message? Talked to them and they brushed you off?

Since the mold is a health issue, give her 24 hours, try to contact her again, and if unsuccessful, contact a mold removal service. Get them to do it and remit the bill to your landlord. If you receive no reimbursement, remove the amount from your next rent. KEEP ALL RECEIPTS< WITH COPIES. They CANNOT kick you out for removing the amount from your rent.

Mind you this is only in BC.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 25 Mar 2009, 11:32

You did get contact with the manager? If so, phone him again, and tell him you expect him to contact you within a set period of time (3 or 4 days). Notify him that if he has not contacted you within that time you consider it necessary to contract your own cleaner and contractor to clean the mold and fix the leaks, and charge him for the expenses made.

This is a good way to get people to get moving, it needs to get clean, it's cheaper and easier if he arranges it. But if necessary you could do it yourself. By calling him on and giving him a deadline to get his ass to work you would have sufficient ground to stand on in court if he decided to be an ass and not pay.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Mar 2009, 11:35

Some other stuff; since this rapidly appears to be turning into a legal issue, keep records of everything. Write down when you call them, their response, etc. Take pics of the damage. See if you can get phone logs. Write a physical letter to your landlord and keep a copy. This helps your case when and if you go into dispute resolution or court.
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 25 Mar 2009, 11:38

metcarfre wrote:Where do you live?

I live in Washington State. I've found that they do have an apartment association for the state

On other news, I kept calling the manager's office until I got a voice (she almost never answers) and she came by with the complex general fixing guy. He is very nice and very prompt. They have cleaned the mold. I had them inspect the few other things wrong while they were at it.

So things are getting fixed as we speak. And the guy, while the manager doesn't like the idea of it, is going to replace the window.

Thank you for all of your help.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 25 Mar 2009, 15:27

In my contract, if they don't fix a problem within 5 days of me giving them notice, I'm aloud to leave. Do you have anything like that in your contract?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Mar 2009, 16:04

ZephCrow wrote:So things are getting fixed as we speak. And the guy, while the manager doesn't like the idea of it, is going to replace the window.

Get his number. Next time, phone the manager first, when she doesn't respond, call the repair guy. He sounds cool like that.

Cake wrote:In my contract, if they don't fix a problem within 5 days of me giving them notice, I'm aloud to leave.

Here, that's almost laughable. Where do you leave to? Victoria has like a 0.2% vacancy rate - the lowest in Canada. Which is why many, many landlords get away with being bastards.

Personally I'm glad to know I can have it fixed and bill the landlord. Keeps 'em on their toes. I've hand lots of bad landlords (see previous paragraph) and I've found it essential to know the laws and so forth backwards and forwards.

Example; did you know that when you end your tenancy, the landlord must give you your damage deposit within 14 days of moving out? And that it must include interest?
Niko88

Postby Niko88 » 25 Mar 2009, 20:05

Seeing as you are state side what your manager is doing is illegal. They are responsible for maintaining the property and you should remind them of that. Definitely find out who the owner is and let them know their manager is doing a piss poor job.

Make a stink about it too. You are the victim here by law. If the owner does nothing you can call gov officials and let them know. Housing laws will be on your side for this one.
Why do I love the blinking street lights so much?
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 25 Mar 2009, 21:28

You can't just clean mold.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 25 Mar 2009, 22:04

Because you are highly allergic to mold, this is a neglect problem, and you have grounds to take them to court if nothing is done. If you have to be hospitalized because of the mold problem, it would be on the heads of the owner and manager of the apartment complex. Perhaps mentioning the fact that you are highly allergic to mold to the management would make a difference?
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 25 Mar 2009, 22:19

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You can't just clean mold.

Well, you can. It just makes it pretty AND hazardous though.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*

Return to “General Discussion”