Is the US repeating history and what should they do instead?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
TehXmasGhost

Postby TehXmasGhost » 25 Mar 2009, 19:54

JesterJ. wrote:How are Obama's birth certificate and his potential for leadership connected? How would this possibly change the position the country is in?

Also, why is "retarded"?

Once again, not jumping down your throat, I just want to know more about your reasoning, since it baffles me. I live in one of the liberal heartlands of America, so I don't get a lot of contact with people on "the other side."

Mmmm, his birth certificate is what tells us that he's a natural born citizen, not his word.
What does why is retarded mean? I maybe wouldn't have used the word in other situations but I like use it frequently, so meh.
Well, I like to consider myself to be conservative, so I'm pretty sure your reasoning baffles me, because it seems that liberals and conservatives have different beliefs, and therefor different reasonings for them, and we like to defend our beliefs and often cannot so other's reasonings as rational so we dismiss them. Or i could be wrong about that, I'm pretty sure I worded it wrong. DON'T pay attention to that, my point is we have different beliefs and reasonings and to each other they don't make sense.

Way to long, wtf.
Ahhh, i can't think of anything. I hate to sound like a douchebag, but I'm almost completely lost in Geometry now >_>
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 25 Mar 2009, 19:55

TehXmasGhost wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:How are Obama's birth certificate and his potential for leadership connected? How would this possibly change the position the country is in?

Also, why is "retarded"?

Once again, not jumping down your throat, I just want to know more about your reasoning, since it baffles me. I live in one of the liberal heartlands of America, so I don't get a lot of contact with people on "the other side."

Mmmm, his birth certificate is what tells us that he's a natural born citizen, not his word.
What does why is retarded mean? I maybe wouldn't have used the word in other situations but I like use it frequently, so meh.
Well, I like to consider myself to be conservative, so I'm pretty sure your reasoning baffles me, because it seems that liberals and conservatives have different beliefs, and therefor different reasonings for them, and we like to defend our beliefs and often cannot so other's reasonings as rational so we dismiss them. Or i could be wrong about that, I'm pretty sure I worded it wrong. DON'T pay attention to that, my point is we have different beliefs and reasonings and to each other they don't make sense.

Way to long, wtf.

Yeah, I get that part. I was wondering what exactly is your reasoning?

The whole Birth Certificate thing, while I disagree with, has merit. Obviously he can't be president if he wasn't born in the United States (because he might have been brain washed by North Koreans!!!!!). I just didn't follow your train of logic far enough back.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
samus

Postby samus » 25 Mar 2009, 19:58

Hakaryu wrote:
Cake wrote:I didn't vote for the guy in charge.

Unfortunantly I did, now i'm regretting it.

ditto.

the new deal did work. but it took forever to fix everything. during that time, the employment rates actually went up.

what i'm ticked off about is obama said he would do something about ending the war on drugs and now he denies it.

why can't we just have a truthful politician for once??

screw you guys, i'm moving to canada.
Kag

Postby Kag » 25 Mar 2009, 20:59

TehXmasGhost wrote:Mmmm, his birth certificate is what tells us that he's a natural born citizen, not his word.
The irony here is that you were apparently told that he didn't have a birth certificate by someone else, and took them for their word. Since, you know, it's right here..

Welcome to eight months ago.

And by the way, Hawaii birth certificates are not a matter of public record. Barack Obama is (was) under no obligation to release this document to you or anyone else.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 25 Mar 2009, 21:10

So in regards to the whole recession thing, what about this "Toxic Assets" thing Obama is talking about?
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 Mar 2009, 22:22

Kag wrote:
TehXmasGhost wrote:Mmmm, his birth certificate is what tells us that he's a natural born citizen, not his word.
The irony here is that you were apparently told that he didn't have a birth certificate by someone else, and took them for their word. Since, you know, it's right here..

Welcome to eight months ago.

And by the way, Hawaii birth certificates are not a matter of public record. Barack Obama is (was) under no obligation to release this document to you or anyone else.

THANK GOD SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS.

Obama's been sitting in on security breifings since August 08. Top Secret information is shared at these meetings. You can't get in without checks from Homeland Security, the CIA, the NSA, AND the Secret Service. If he isn't a citizen, then the top security agencies in the country have SERIOUSLY fallen down on their jobs.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 25 Mar 2009, 23:24

Ok. First, I'd like to point you to this really excellent article in the Rolling Stone. It does a pretty good job of explaining the causes of the crisis and the major problems with the current efforts to stop it. People are spending days on the senate floor debating projects that cost millions while the fed is performing trillions of dollars of unexamined transactions behind a smokescreen.

What should be done about it?

First, do you know what the Glass-Steagall act is? If you don't, go learn about it. It's really important. It was an act put in place to prevent exactly what is happening now. And then it was dismantled throughout the 80s and 90s. This dismantling is one of the primary reasons for the current economic crisis... both its direct effects and the way it begat a culture of deregulation.

This is one of the things the New Deal was about, the part that everyone seems to be willfully forgetting right now: it was about placing restrictions on banks to prevent them from doing the same goddam things they'd done in the 20s... to stop out-of-control speculation.

If you know anything about this crisis, you know that out of control speculation, corporate greed, and irresponsible levels of leverage are a direct, traceable, and primary cause. Most of the things that caused this crisis were ILLEGAL from the 30s to the 80s, when big business started to steadily purchase people on both sides of the aisle in Washington, instead of focusing primarily on the Republicans.

So the first thing we need to do is get the legal protections back... the things that prevented banks from playing dice with invisible money. We need all those laws back, and we need letters stamped over the new legislation that says, really clearly "The Economic Crisis That Started in '09 Was A Direct Result of the First Time We Got Rid of These Rules." so that the next time some idiot whinges about the free market we can jam these laws down his esophagus. Sorry. I'm just a bit on edge.

After we get these laws back, the next thing we have to do is change the way the Fed works. Right now, the fed is giving trillions of dollars worth of cash and loans to random people all the time, and no one in goverment or in the public is allowed to ask to whom they're giving this money or why. I can't comprehend how this can be the case, or why it's never been changed before, but it has a bigger impact on our economy than a dozen stimulus bills. Still, people are going to keep lying about mag-lev trains and whining about the unnecessary nature of health care until the cows come home, because they aren't thinking... because they've been trained by their party that the fed and the corporations are sacrosanct, and that the new deal failed, and that what we really need is another world war. Yeah, that'll fix us right up.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 30 Mar 2009, 21:50

Telaril wrote:what i was about to say

thanks. you saved me a lot of time writing. :)

i have a solution for alan greenspan that only costs about $.50 and travels at 1000m/second.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 30 Mar 2009, 21:54

50 cents? Where are you buying your bullets? Hell, I can get rifle bullets, high grain, for 13 cents all day long.

When you think about it, hitmen have really, really high overheads.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 31 Mar 2009, 18:52

Telaril wrote:Ok. First, I'd like to point you to this really excellent article in the Rolling Stone. It does a pretty good job of explaining the causes of the crisis and the major problems with the current efforts to stop it.

Thanks tremendously.

And Craaaaap..... We're idiots. Not that I had much to do with this myself I've never made enough money to have to file FED income tax (something I soon wish to change).

But dang... that's... that's a serious problem, I really have to start reading the news.

Seriously though NOTHING in the U.S. or any country for that matter should be effectively or officially un-auditable.

On a side note (that's still pretty dark) this sounds suspiciously similar to part of the plot of Deus Ex.

On a lighter note: Relax and have a nice warm fuzzy cup of Kitten.

Also this was too hilarious and appropriate in the google image search to pass up:

My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 31 Mar 2009, 19:17

History doesn't repeat, its writers are just broken records.

theres my 'half-awake bus-ride home random bit of zen' for the day.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*

Return to “General Discussion”