Rugby or Football? (British football)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Rugby or Brittish Football

Rugby
65%
Football
35%

Total votes: 31
Shakadamus

Rugby or Football? (British football)

Postby Shakadamus » 29 Mar 2009, 11:13

I'm a rugby person and after watching a rugby match then seeing a football match (British football... which ironically is as girly as American football) makes me rage.

The whistle is blown every 3 seconds for the most pathetic things and all the pricks dive around the pitch acting hurt until they get a penalty and then they're completely fine.

Now either that's some miracle spray the medics use or these guys are faking, that's my view. So what are yours? Rugby or Football? :)

Related vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Upc8jx ... annel_page
Last edited by Shakadamus on 29 Mar 2009, 11:47, edited 3 times in total.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 29 Mar 2009, 11:17

You're kind of rambling. You are asking our views on what, exactly? Miracle spray?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Shakadamus

Postby Shakadamus » 29 Mar 2009, 11:21

Made it a bit more clearer and added a poll.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 29 Mar 2009, 11:25

The Rugby violence may be manlier, but the game is still a bit too start-and-stop for me. I love the bits where blokes are running and passing, but my interest isn't engaged by rucking and such.

In Football, the action stops less often, but the action itself can be pretty dull.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Mar 2009, 11:26

I see no "Canadian Football" option, and will therefore have to abstain.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Mar 2009, 11:28

I'm a steward and have to steward both rugby and football matches. I prefer rugby then because you can trust those fans with alcohol while football supporters are for a lack of a better word mental rejects who need to be sterilised by napalm.
I hate both as a sport and only watch it when it's the world cup, six nations or the Euro championships. So once every 4 years viewing for those.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 29 Mar 2009, 11:32

Hockey.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Shakadamus

Postby Shakadamus » 29 Mar 2009, 11:36

Dominic Appleguard wrote:The Rugby violence may be manlier, but the game is still a bit too start-and-stop for me. I love the bits where blokes are running and passing, but my interest isn't engaged by rucking and such.

In Football, the action stops less often, but the action itself can be pretty dull.

The action in rugby is great, The Wales, Scotland game in this years six nations was brilliant. 3 knock outs from poor tackles by the Scots. Twas awesome :D
Shakadamus

Postby Shakadamus » 29 Mar 2009, 11:38

Matt wrote:Hockey.

-m

I do want to go to a hockey game at some point in my life just for the fights that can brake out lol
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 29 Mar 2009, 11:57

Yeah, hockey.

All the wee pansies running about on the lawn playing catch-and-hug is a game for small children and effeminate degenerates.

Real men put on skates and can knock others through plexiglass without any inappropriate scrotum touching.

EDIT: Or Fizzball. At least that's entertaining to watch.
Last edited by Brad on 29 Mar 2009, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 29 Mar 2009, 12:03

Dodgeball, then baseball, then a game my friend made up called Nazi Breakball, A mix of both games where all the defenders have a ball each, the batter hits the ball and has to then dodge the defenses throws but they can only go for the ball he hit when they have thrown theirs, distance and rules are key
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Mar 2009, 12:06

Brad wrote:Yeah, hockey.

All the wee pansies running about on the lawn playing catch-and-hug is a game for small children and effeminate degenerates.

Real men put on skates and can knock others through plexiglass without any inappropriate scrotum touching.

True, I'm not ainto a group of big brly running around tackling each other to the floor and trying to ruck each other along the way.

If tak197 is lurking around here somewhere, these are just for you:
"And now for the scrum where the players can have a quick kiss and exchange phone numbers."
"All pretense has been lost as the players come to the pitch naked, covered in lubricant to the sound of pounding techno."
"There's the South Africans passing to their one black player, Johnny Token."
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Mar 2009, 12:40

Rugby is the better sport to watch. They need to change the rules of football not to make it more violent but to encourage less diving.

I am undecided on which is a better sport to play. Football does has the advantage of being an easier game to play informally with some friends.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
goat

Postby goat » 29 Mar 2009, 12:48

Matt wrote:Hockey.

-m

This.

Other acceptable answers include college football, college basketball (the pros take all the romance out of it), and the occasional baseball game (usually when there's nothing better to do).

That being said, if I have to choose between the two options, I'll go rugby. Not that I'm against watching football, but the penalties and the difficulty in scoring outside of sheer luck kind of kill it for me. The difficulty is that rugby is hard to find in the states and as such I've only seen a few matches (all of them league). I think I'd prefer union, but I haven't found any games at a reasonable hour to watch.

Now, on that note, for those who said rugby: union or league?

PS. GOOOOO WINGS!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Mar 2009, 13:25

Union of course.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 29 Mar 2009, 13:31

So I guess this is the part where someone like me comes in and defends American football or something. Whatever, I don't need to say it.

I've never watched British football, so I can't comment on it. I've seen rugby a few times though. It's interesting.

I just find the overall team strategy in American football extremely satisfying. It's like reading about war tactics, except I'm watching it happen. Fascinating, to me at least.

tl;dr can't vote, haven't experienced both.American football whoo! Or something.
Shakadamus

Postby Shakadamus » 29 Mar 2009, 13:48

Lord Chrusher wrote:Union of course.

Yep union. For some reason I just don't like league. Prefer it over football though haha.

Also I posted this on facepunch and some American has gone through the roof after he posted some pics of American footballers with snapped shins and I said a rugby player would just pop it back in and keep running. :P
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 29 Mar 2009, 14:04

Kdz wrote:So I guess this is the part where someone like me comes in and defends American football or something. Whatever, I don't need to say it.

I've never watched British football, so I can't comment on it. I've seen rugby a few times though. It's interesting.

I just find the overall team strategy in American football extremely satisfying. It's like reading about war tactics, except I'm watching it happen. Fascinating, to me at least.

tl;dr can't vote, haven't experienced both.American football whoo! Or something.

1)The hands are used more than the feet, so "Football" is a misnomer.
2)Pads are for sissies.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Mar 2009, 14:09

Baskiceball.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 29 Mar 2009, 14:29

Dodgeball, then Fball, then Christball.

Christball: it combines three of America's least favorite sports - field hockey, lacrosse, and religion!
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 29 Mar 2009, 14:34

Master Gunner wrote:Baskiceball.

I agree, baskiceball is clearly better then all previously mentioned sports
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 29 Mar 2009, 14:45

American Footba....

plz dont kill me
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 29 Mar 2009, 18:11

Bob The Magic Camel wrote:1)The hands are used more than the feet, so "Football" is a misnomer.
2)Pads are for sissies.

1)Yes, it is, and I don't know why it wasn't changed a long time ago.
2)Yeah, you guys go ahead with your quasi-macho posturing on this, I really don't give a damn if they wear pads or not. Or if they're in god damn fat suits. It's the game. This isn't a Nascar race; I'm not watching just to see the carnage.

Not to mention I'm not really calling American football the be-all end-all. It's not my favorite sport by any margin. I just don't have a lot of experience with the ones mentioned here, and I like the one I've talked about. Shit, I like to watch chess when I get the chance.

But above all, I like playing sports more than watching. Just that American football has a tactical aspect that is easy to pick up do to the format, and much easier to appreciate for me cerebrally.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 29 Mar 2009, 21:00

Shakadamus wrote:Made it a bit more clearer and added a poll.

Thanks much.

Tho' bored to tears by both European & American football, I've long been curious about rugby. It looks a bit more interesting than the American version. Especially since players don't seem to wear as much armor. If most of the game is spent actually playing rather than lining up & waiting for the next play to begin I'll definitely check it out.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 29 Mar 2009, 21:40

I find soccer much more interesting, admittedly because I understand it.

I think the skill that goes on display in professional/international soccer is just so phenomenal.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!

Return to “General Discussion”