Zombie Survival Guide

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Nebulous

Zombie Survival Guide

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 14:06

Post the things that you have acquired over the time of a Zombie Apocalypse in a city or suburb near you.

Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 14:15

Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Apr 2009, 14:22

Double post!
Oversized images!

Also, I have some issues with Max Brooks' version of Homo mortuus. I enjoyed World War Zed, and would like to pick up the Guide sometime.

As for zombie plans, right now I have plans A, B, and C. I'm thinking of getting my PAL this summer so i can buy some firearms, but I've got a couple ice axes if it comes to that.

Link to the full size lower information sheet by any chance?
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 14:24

Double posted and oversize to put emphasis on necessity of preparation for zombie invasion.

Look, in the event of a Zombie attack, you might not survive in time to get to the local firearm store. You need to get you some guns ASAP. I recommend shotguns.

Also,

Edit: Sadly that is as big as the lower sheet will get. I already blew it up as far as I could get it without blurring most of the words.
Last edited by Nebulous on 02 Apr 2009, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 02 Apr 2009, 14:28

Zombies really aren't as scary as you think. As Kathleen and I know. And as I have said in interviews
Last edited by Brad on 02 Apr 2009, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 14:29

Some LRR videos I cannot watch, because they require the apple quicktime plugin. That is one of them T.T
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 Apr 2009, 14:29

~Alja~
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Apr 2009, 14:30

Nebulous wrote:Double posted and oversize to put emphasis on necessity of preparation for zombie invasion.

...I can accept that.

In reality I think an ideal anti-zombie weapon would be a suppressed semi-auto .22 rifle (like a Ruger 10/22), combined with a shortened 12-gauge and machete for 'close-in' work. With a PAL both are simple and cheap to aquire... well, not the suppressor, that's illegal. But simple to manufacture.
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 14:31

Alja, that axe will get you nowhere but a few sets of teeth in your skull.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 02 Apr 2009, 14:33

Best weapon: Silenced pistol
Second best weapon: Crossbow with a laser sight.
Best Secondary weapon: Crowbar
Second best Secondary weapon: Metal pipe

If you hear of vicious attacks or rumors of people being admitted to the hospital with bite marks on their necks, head to your closest weapon's dealer and get some guns, then hit up Sam's club or Costco and start boarding it up PRONTO. They have everything you'll need to survive, including food and toilet paper.

Make sure you get that silencer, the silence is the real key here.
DON'T LIGHT ZOMBIES ON FIRE, THEY DON'T DIE, AND THEN THEY'RE JUST MOVING FIRE WALKING TOWARDS YOU.

If you get into trouble, sit in a corner and repeatedly melee with your weapon. If Left4Dead has taught me anything, it's that Left Trigger = Invincibility.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 14:37

Wear goggles at all times, as well as a respirator. The affliction could be passed on airborne or even by getting fluids in the bloodstream. If you don't have any cuts, your eyes would be vulnerable.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 02 Apr 2009, 14:44

I have two 12. gauges, one double barrel coach-loader, one singe barrel pump-action. One Machete, multiple combat knifes, a couple of .22 cal riffles, one 45. cal handgun, one 9. mm handgun, some old Russian riffle from WWII and a couple of sniper riffles. I don't know what model of cal they are as they are my brothers. A hazmat suit, gas-masks, goggles (ze do zomzing) and a few first aid kits. As well as booze, beef jerky, and a guitar.

So I'm all set to survive.
Last edited by Cureless_Poison on 02 Apr 2009, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 14:47

What about smokes?
mechabuddha

Postby mechabuddha » 02 Apr 2009, 14:49

Nice Saiga 12 you got there. Not sure if it would be considered a restricted weapon in Canada, due to the box magazine instead of the traditional tubular magazine.

Yes, Canada has some pretty retarded restrictions and classifications on guns.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Apr 2009, 14:54

You're allowed a 5-round magazine for centre-fire rifles and shotguns in Canada.
Yes, a Saiga is a nice choice, but is that what is pictured?
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 02 Apr 2009, 14:56

Nebulous wrote:What about smokes?

Not a smoker.

EDIT: Also, I call bullshit on that pic of the guns Neb, I've seen it posted plenty of times on different sites and boards. Doubt you're the OP.
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 15:01

You never know! =O

Yea, you caught me. I thought it was humorous, so I posted it.

Also, you seem incredibly well prepared. Do you have any strategies to share with us, or any other not so common knowledge of the hordes?
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 Apr 2009, 15:06

Nebulous wrote:Alja, that axe will get you nowhere but a few sets of teeth in your skull.

I kinda meant it in response to the earlier bits about not being able to get to a gun store and the bit about ice axes. Just something I have on hand, could probably kill a bear if used properly, knock the jaw off, I dunno.

Still, if you are unimpressed...

?

~Alja~
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 15:08

That is nonexistent and therefore not feasible in the event of a zombie invasion.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 Apr 2009, 15:10

Nebulous wrote:That is nonexistent and therefore not feasible in the event of a zombie invasion.

Nebulous wrote:That is nonexistent and therefore not feasible in the event of a zombie invasion.

~Alja~
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 15:12

Hey.
If a zombie invasion did happen, guess who we'd be laughing at? You. That's right, baby. You.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Apr 2009, 15:12

I personally disagree with Max Brooks' theories regarding the undead as presented in the Zombie Survival Guide.

The brain is in no way altered by the virus, the virus merely kick starts the hind lobes of the brain, which are involved with motion and which also are the primary power sources for the central nervous system, and the rest rots, assuming the virus doesn't spread further into it (In which case, zombies over their lifetimes may accrue further intelligence).

Zombies move slowly for a number of reasons, but physiological death aside it's because the virus itself is not exactly a genius, it doesn't know how to perfectly manipulate the human motor functions. This is why you will never see a running zombie.

Lastly, the virus is parasitic in nature, infesting cells not unlike the mitochondria in ages past. The virus in fact destroys the mitochondria and asserts itself as a kind of power station for the otherwise-deceased cells. Viruses do not require oxygen, so the body is able to function for a much more extended period without it.

As previously noted, zombies move slowly and aren't usually all that intelligent. Combatting them in melee proximity is possible hand-to-hand, though highly discouraged given the viral nature of any bite or bodily fluid, especially when weaponry of any sort is available. A good sweep to the knees or a strong punch to the upper chest/skull (If you're feeling especially brave) will generally send a zombie to the ground in short order.

Snapping the neck or otherwise disconnecting the brain from the rest of the nervous system (This includes beheading and disintegration by bullets or otherwise) will disable the zombie permanently. As a matter of safety however I advise always keeping a good distance away from the head of any downed zombie until you can be certain it is entirely deceased.

Myself, living in a nation with extreme gun control, melee is about my only option. Fortunately I am trained in martial arts and have a wide selection of powerful melee weapons at my disposal (My personal favourite being the hanbo). My home is also very easily defensible, though supplies may quickly become an issue if my brother survives the initial waves.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 Apr 2009, 15:13

If we're going to assume a zombie invasion can magically occur, why can we not also assume that I could possess Combine technology (or comparable human technology)?

~Alja~
Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 02 Apr 2009, 15:15

Because you would lack the tools and knowledge for said technology. And if you tried to gather said tools and knowledge for said technology, you'd surely become zombie bait.

Edit: If there was an event of fast running zombies, I am screwed. Those are the exciting and freaky zombies. The slow one sort of leave me feeling nonchalant and awesome.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 Apr 2009, 15:18

Why can't I have it prior to the invasion? Not like you know how to make a gun without buying one.

If you really are gonna fight me on this, fine.

~Alja~

Edit: The image links, they fight me!
Last edited by Alja-Markir on 02 Apr 2009, 15:19, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”