Looking For a Podcast

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jhon

Looking For a Podcast

Postby Jhon » 10 Apr 2009, 16:30

My favorite radio station has recently started playing one of those oh-so-stupid morning shows, so now I have nothing to listen to in the morning on my way to class. I have started listening to the LRRcast and have found that I enjoy listening to this. However, this only covers one morning every week. I'm relatively new to podcasts, so I don't know what all is out there. I was wondering if anyone on these forums has any suggestions for a good podcast to listen to to pass the time. Thanks! :)
MegaDaffy

Postby MegaDaffy » 10 Apr 2009, 16:54

It all depends on what you like.

My 3 podcasts that I usually listen to during the week are TalkRadar, NPR's CarTalk and either MartiniHour or IGN Nintendo VoiceChat. :D
LoadingReadyRun,yet another reason to love Canada!
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 10 Apr 2009, 18:14

I like The Sound of Young America, which is a cool interview show thingummy and This American Life, an award winning series by Chicago Public Radio which takes a look at a different subject each week through a sampling of personal experience.

And if you have any interest in Penny-Arcade and D&D, that podcast is pretty awesome.
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 10 Apr 2009, 19:15

I listen to alot of Fresh Air with terry gross and All Things Considered with robert siegal
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 Apr 2009, 21:42

If you are into music check out the CBC Radio 3 podcast. If science is your think try Quirks and Quarks.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 10 Apr 2009, 22:08

definetly make the penny arcade DND podcasts a priority, there's 2 series of them now so that will last you a while, penny arcade also has another one that they update occasionally about the writing of there strips called downloadable content which is funny whenever they do update.

also every tuesday giantbomb.com does a podcast that sia c ouple hours long with lots of good gaming info. (incidentally it's also my favourite gaming news site.)
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 10 Apr 2009, 23:20

I listen to Spellbound, a weekly 2 hour program of Theremin music.

There is also Pseudopod, a weekly horror podcast. Entirely short fiction.

Ben Heckendorn has an entertaining podcast. Ben is the fellow who makes the Portable Atari 2600s & the X-Box laptops you've been hearing about. He doesn't talk about projects in his podcast since that's what his website is for, but he & his co-host will talk anything else & they both have a good sense of humour. They also do the best & most elaborate podcast intros I've ever heard.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
ariadinotte

Postby ariadinotte » 10 Apr 2009, 23:41

I don't listen to many podcasts anymore but one that I love is Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier's Smodcast
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 11 Apr 2009, 00:33

damn it thank you, I ALWAYS forget to set myself up for the smodcast, i've been meaning to for like a year now.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 11 Apr 2009, 00:54

TWiT. This Week in Tech is a weekl y podcast with Leo Laporte and guests. It's a good listen.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 11 Apr 2009, 01:07

the australian gamer podcast is pretty good, although they're not very good on being regular
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
goat

Postby goat » 11 Apr 2009, 06:21

If you're into TF2, Control Point is pretty good.
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 11 Apr 2009, 06:38

Fresh Air, All Things Considered, and Quirks & Quarks are all fantastic.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Apr 2009, 08:17

Yeah Jhon, being in Wisconsin too you should already know we have excellent public radio programing. I have it on quite a bit throughout the day.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 11 Apr 2009, 09:17

iamafish wrote:the australian gamer podcast is pretty good, although they're not very good on being regular

sounds about right.
Jhon

Postby Jhon » 13 Apr 2009, 19:02

Awesome, thanks for all the ideas! I listened to a couple podcasts today that didn't quite fit my taste, but I'm sure one of those listed here have to be good to listen to. :)
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 13 Apr 2009, 19:30

How bout listing for us the ones you liked or didn't like and saying why?
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 13 Apr 2009, 19:34

If you like news/comedy panels/public radio, you MUST listen to Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me, the weekly NPR News Quiz. It's only once a week, but it's a riot.

And, if you like comedy panel games, and you know where to look (hemhemTORRENThemhem), you can download all of "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue," and "I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again," which is approximately 40+ YEARS of stuff, and it'll all have you laughing riotously.
Jhon

Postby Jhon » 13 Apr 2009, 20:16

Well, I didn't enjoy Downloadable Content, but that's probably because I don't follow Penny Arcade, so I didn't know what they were talking about. It was the same case with TalkRadar. They just started talking about some games and I couldn't really follow it just jumping in without any prior knowledge about the podcast. Someone mentioned a podcast with horror fiction...I'm not a big fan of horror, but this inspired me to search for other fiction podcasts. I found one called Sonic Fiction. It looks like a bunch of short stories. Hopefully I'll like this one.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 15 Apr 2009, 15:36

Idle Thumbs, This American Life and A Life Well Wasted are all awesome. I listen to a tonne of podcasts while I work, those are some of the best. There's also an RSS for the audio versions of talks from the TED conference (ted.com), which are really really cool if you're interested in something short-form.
davefp

Postby davefp » 15 Apr 2009, 17:35

I have recently discovered the Mustache Rangers, which is a weekly improv comedy podcast about two space rangers 700 years away from earth in a space ship. It's hilarious.

Another good comedy podcast is Tek Diff, which is a sketch show done by one guy (he's a voice actor/comedian).

I also listen to the Rock Paper Shotgun Electronic Wireless Show, which is a PC gaming podcast run by the Rock Paper Shotgun blog. It's lighthearted, sometimes insightful and also very funny.

Return to “General Discussion”