Playoffs

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
goat

Playoffs

Postby goat » 13 Apr 2009, 10:24

It's that time of the year again, sports fans.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=3138 ... L|NHL|Home

I'm really excited about some of these match-ups.

A Boston and the Habs have a fair deal of history
B Ovi is always fun to watch
C It'd be nice to see Brodeur add a little extra flair to his season
D In-state rivalry, and a nasty one too

E Another in-state series
F The Michigan/Ohio rivalry is getting to be strong in hockey. (go wings!)
G Eh, not much here (unless your a Canucks fan)
H Two VERY physical teams with some real fire on the starting lines

So, as we move to post-season, who're you rooting for? Who do you want to see go all the way? Which games are you glued to?
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 13 Apr 2009, 11:17

Personally I love the playoffs. I'm a Canucks fan but I won't bother me if they don't win the cup (unless they go all the way and loose it in the final round, then I might be upset)

The playoffs are what hockey is all about. I freaking LOVE the first round. SO MUCH GREAT HOCKEY TO WATCH!!! For about a week there are several games on every night of which I will watch as much as possible.

I think San Jose has a good chance, but they haven't been doing well nearing the end of the season and they have a bad record when it comes to their playoff history. Anaheim is a team I haven't payed much attention to. They didn't have the greatest season but ended strong, if they can continue with that in the first round they stand a chance.

Red Wings and Jackets is going to be interesting match. Detroit is Detroit, a strong as hell hockey team that knows what they are doing come playoff time. This is the first time Columbus has made the playoffs. They can put up a fight but i'd be shocked if they move on to the second round.

Vancouver and St. Louis. I won't go to much into this one. Canucks in 4 :P

Flames and the Blackhawks. A match that might be to close to call. Calgary won't give up without a fight but if they can't get more skaters on the ice they are going to have a hell of a time against a young and healthy team.

The East sucks. GO MONTREAL!!

... Yah I'm just messing with you. I don't have time to keep writing. Might come back after work with more on the east.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 13 Apr 2009, 12:02

The Blackhawks are in the playoffs. We're looking out for more signs of the apocalypse. The new ownership has breathed life into the franchise. Chicago used to be such a good hockey town. We'll see how this post-season goes.
goat

Postby goat » 13 Apr 2009, 15:00

As much as being a Red Wings fan precludes me from saying anything nice about the 'hawks, I'd really like to see them get a little more recognition. They're a good team in a good town for hockey, but the previous owners couldn't have done more to drive the franchise into the ground.

I have no doubts that SJ is going to wipe the floor with Anaheim. When the sharks hit their stride they can be fucking scary on the ice. I just don't think the ducks will hold up under the pressure.

I'm legitimately a little worried about the Detroit/Columbus series. We haven't had such a great record against them, and as much as I'd like to say that we were saving ourselves for the post-season, the last couple of games have been rocky.

And everyone wins when the Habs lose. Suck it Montreal.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 13 Apr 2009, 15:05

goat wrote:And everyone wins when the Habs lose. Suck it Montreal.

+1. Being a Toronto fan means I have to cheer for another team during the playoffs by nature, so I'd like to see Calgary do well. You know, if they had more than 15 players able to play. >.>
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 15 Apr 2009, 15:50

Trying to get from one part of Pittsburgh to another when every frikkin person is trying to get to either Mellon Arena or PNC Park royally sucks.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: Playoffs

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Apr 2009, 16:32

goat wrote:G Eh, not much here (unless your a Canucks fan)

Except!

They have been the two hottest teams down the stretch. I think they'll give the 'Nucks a run for their money, and put on a damn good show. Canucks in 6. Bonus - free live streaming games through http://www.cbc.ca. Great for those of us without cable.

One more note - I want Montreal to cream Boston, if only to see some sour Grapes.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 15 Apr 2009, 17:21

Hockey has kinda sucked ever since the salary cap, imo.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
goat

Postby goat » 15 Apr 2009, 18:09

Cake wrote:Hockey has kinda sucked ever since the salary cap, imo.

It makes things more interesting, breaks up huge hockey towns and makes it more even for everyone. I think it was a great move.

Part of me wonders how difficult it would be to put up a chat server for the games. They're significantly less fun to watch when you're the only person who cares.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 15 Apr 2009, 18:25

goat wrote:

It makes things more interesting, breaks up huge hockey towns and makes it more even for everyone. I think it was a great move.

The Avalanche were a fantastic team. They took the Stanley Cup twice, and at least made the playoffs every year. When the Red Wings came to town, every body was excited about the game. When the salary cap came, the team got decimated. They started sucking. And it wasn't one year. It's year after year. They just finished the worst season in franchise history. The arena looks sooo empty when there are home games. Hockey became less exciting.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Apr 2009, 18:29

goat wrote:Part of me wonders how difficult it would be to put up a chat server for the games. They're significantly less fun to watch when you're the only person who cares.

Isn't there already a LRR IRC client? Or you could just make your own. Which series will you be watching? That would be fun.

I am all for the salary cap. It's not my fault the Avs SUCK.
goat

Postby goat » 15 Apr 2009, 18:36

Cake wrote:
goat wrote:

The Avalanche were a fantastic team. They took the Stanley Cup twice, and at least made the playoffs every year. When the Red Wings came to town, every body was excited about the game. When the salary cap came, the team got decimated. They started sucking. And it wasn't one year. It's year after year. They just finished the worst season in franchise history. The arena looks sooo empty when there are home games. Hockey became less exciting.

To be fair, the Avalanche are wankers. :P

Team loyalties aside, the transition really hurt the Avs, largely because they wanted to keep all of their guns and wound up with only a few. Some teams adapted better than others (and had fewer large contracts). I think that, by and large, it helped the smaller franchises and made things a little more interesting for the newer start-ups by spreading talent around. Sure there were a few casualties, but I think it was a good move for the league.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 16 Apr 2009, 08:01

I've been writing about the playoffs here:
http://timsevenhuysen.com/canucks/

My predictions:

Western Conference

San Jose Sharks (1) vs. Anaheim Ducks (8)

My Preference: San Jose
My Expectation: San Jose wins in 5 games.

Detroit Red Wings (2) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (7)

My Preference: Columbus
My Expectation: Detroit wins in 5 games.

Vancouver Canucks (3) vs. St. Louis Blues (6)

My Preference: Vancouver
My Expectation: Vancouver wins in 6 games.

Chicago Blackhawks (4) vs. Calgary Flames (5)

My Preference: Chicago
My Expectation: Chicago wins in 7 games.

Eastern Conference

Boston Bruins (1) vs. Montreal Canadiens (8)

My Preference: Boston
My Expectation: Boston wins in 5 games.

Washington Capitals (2) vs. New York Rangers (7)

My Preference: Washington
My Expectation: Washington wins in 6 games.

New Jersey Devils (3) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (6)

My Preference: New Jersey
My Expectation: Carolina wins in 6 games.

Pittsburgh Penguins (4) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (5)

My Preference: Philadelphia
My Expectation: Philadelphia wins in 7 games.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
goat

Postby goat » 16 Apr 2009, 11:15

Well, if last night's game is any indication of the what's to come (and I realize that it's probably not, being the playoffs and all), the Canucks are going to win in 4.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Apr 2009, 10:01

I wouldn't say 4 games, more like 5 or 6. And as for last night... take that lamers!
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 17 Apr 2009, 10:33

I'd like to see Joe Thornton make some waves in the playoffs for the San Jose Sharks, but he just doesn't seem to be there, mentally. His play style isn't playoff-like at all: he has all the tools to be more physical and more aggressive, but he doesn't seem ready to use them.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 17 Apr 2009, 16:44

I'm rooting for the Rangers.

..I don't expect them to win, but they're one of the big three New York Teams I've been raised to cheer for.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
goat

Postby goat » 18 Apr 2009, 10:56

Jillers wrote:I'm rooting for the Rangers.

..I don't expect them to win, but they're one of the big three New York Teams I've been raised to cheer for.

Watching game 2 right now, I can see the Rangers taking this. Ovechkin looks like he's just phoning it in right now. The Rangers' defense is just walking all over the Caps.
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 18 Apr 2009, 12:41

Go Pens.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 19 Apr 2009, 11:45

Go Hawks! Gotta love a 3-goal 2nd period. Now to see if they can win a game in on the road.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 19 Apr 2009, 14:29

Let's go Rangers!

Also, Tim, you're on notice.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 19 Apr 2009, 14:41

I cant wait and hurry up for my cities team to lose. The sooner theyre done losing, the sooner people will stop being giant blubbering sore losers about it.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
goat

Postby goat » 19 Apr 2009, 18:33

And Vancouver goes 3-0 in the series. One more win and my prediction is vindicated *grin*

The first round battles have been pretty much blow outs so far. A lot of series are sitting at 2-0. The pens/flyers series is going to be one to keep an eye on if the flyers can keep their momentum up and the 'canes/devils series is now all tied up.

As for highlights so far:
-Ozzy's shut out Saturday night
-Voracek's (CBJ) 2 sticks (also on saturday)
-Carcillo (PHI) and Lucic (BOS) getting the game misconducts under the new "message sending" policy
-The Caps tanking in their series
-Anaheim pulling out a game one victory against the NHL leading Sharks

I love the playoffs *grin*

Oh, and GO WINGS!
Last edited by goat on 19 Apr 2009, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
danpete6
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby danpete6 » 19 Apr 2009, 18:54

I loathe all sports requiring physical activity.
fbuh wrote:both mario 64 and portal taught me that cake is bad for you
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 19 Apr 2009, 19:08

Cybren wrote:Let's go Rangers!

Also, Tim, you're on notice.

Why? : (

@danpete: That's too bad. Why?

Return to “General Discussion”