The weirdest thing happened to me.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

The weirdest thing happened to me.

Postby CyberTractor » 25 Apr 2009, 00:45

I was at a party. Probably 50 people crammed into a three bedroom, one story house. (This is a decent party by my standards, at least.) I got there around 11.

After a few hours (around 2 am) cops showed up to ID everyone. Now, at this point, a lot of people sneaked out the back door or hid, and the party pretty much got called off because some high schooler got caught with a beer.

I didn't drink, so I was pretty much cool with the whole thing.

There were three cops. One at the back door to stop people from leaving, another at the front making sure people didn't come back in, and another walking around looking for people who were drinking and IDing them or whatnot.

Well, this process took about 15 minutes. After all that, the party pretty much died. As I was leaving at around 3, there were still cops in the front yard doing paperwork or whatever.

One of the cops shone his flashlight on me and asked me to come over, so I did. He wanted me to ID a high schooler, and I said I didn't know her. Then he said thanks, and he added, "Here's your stuff." and he gave me something.

I, not knowing exactly what he was handing me, took it. I was called back in to help clean up, so I went inside. I then realized I was holding an envelope.

I looked on the envelope and taped to the front found a picture (like a senior portrait) of a guy who looked similar to me, but someone I definitely did not know nor see at the party. I asked some other people, even the one who threw the party, and no one could ID this guy.

There was also 250 bucks in cash, various gift cards, and a car key inside. The car key had the unlock/lock button built into the base of the key. I went outside and clicked the button around to try and find out what car it was.

By now the cops left, and so did most of the cars, so there weren't many there. I did not find any car that responded to the key.

Since no one at the party (even the sober ones) could ID the kid, and we really didn't wanna call the police, I took the stuff home in an effort to find the guy.

So, yeah. I received a mysterious envelope with money and gift cards and a car key.

HOW DO I REACT?
I can't think of a signature.
YamaroV2

Re: The weirdest thing happened to me.

Postby YamaroV2 » 25 Apr 2009, 00:49

CLOSE THE DEAL, MAN

CLOSE THE DEAL
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 25 Apr 2009, 00:57

this story is entirely weird and awesome. i am so confused by the envelope. why was there a picture of the guy on it? did the cop just find it and assume it was you? seems quite unlikely. i guess take it to the cops and find out what the hell is going on. you'll get the money if it isn't claimed, which i predict is highly possible in this case. or you could just steal the money and gift cards for your trouble, if you're that type of person. i guess you could always carry around the key, clicking endlessly at cars until you find the right one. :P
also, you now have a great story to tell people.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 25 Apr 2009, 01:02

Like, nothing is weird until I get handed a mysterious envelope.

The key doesn't have distinguishing features on it, either, so its not like I can find out what it belongs to. No serial number or anything. Not even a make or model or whatnot.

Maybe its not a car key.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 25 Apr 2009, 01:38

choose your destiny?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Apr 2009, 02:06

Gentlemen! We have finally discovered the elusive Step 2!

1: Get handed weird envelope
2: Take the money
3: Profit!
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 25 Apr 2009, 02:12

Phone the police? Or find the car and drive to mexico
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 Apr 2009, 02:59

Technically I don't think he can be arrested because the police (Openly and clearly identified) gave him the stuff.

For some reason though this seems like something out of Max Payne to me...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 25 Apr 2009, 03:18

Take it back to the police.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 25 Apr 2009, 05:09

This is how modern fantasy stories start.. The more you look into it, the more likely you'll be forced into saving the world for some great arbitrary evil. Your destiny is in motion, taking it back to the police will just lead them to you. You're only option is to run..
Find him.. Save him.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 25 Apr 2009, 05:11

Look for hidden messages! This might be your way into spy school.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 25 Apr 2009, 07:50

I'm with The Jester; do the 'honest' thing and take it back. It's totally understandable that the police confused the sight of you outside at night with the picture on the envelope.

It sounds like they had confiscated this other guy's stuff - car key especially - because they found him drinking underage or just drunk. Maybe got mixed up from a different party they rousted earlier.

Just take it back, and leave it with the desk sergeant; it'll be a bit of work to track the other guy down, but they're better equipped/trained to do so (and really the ones responsible for the mix up)
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 25 Apr 2009, 07:53

Someone who looks just like CyberTractor... hmm... Ah-ha! Obviously, that is Paul's car key. Your avatar looks JUST LIKE HIM!!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Apr 2009, 08:44

Sounds like the start of a bad thriller movie. Maybe the key opens a storage unit... which contains a secret government... thing....

"This summer... strap yourself self in for the ride of a lifetime... he was an ordinary man... until he received... *explosion* THE PACKAGE... Keanu Reeves stars...

In reality though, there's probably some guy who's really mad that he lost his stuff to the police, so you should probably turn it in.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 25 Apr 2009, 08:55

Yeah, I'm in agreeance with those in favor of doing the honest thing. Take it to the police station, explain your story, and offer to return the envelope with all contents. It's the right thing to do.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 25 Apr 2009, 09:17

Personally, I would attempt to find the guy on your own. Usually when turning stuff into the police, they'll stick it in a box of lost and found things, and give you a number where you can claim it after a few weeks. We had a lot of regulars as cops back at my old job, and when something like that happened, they usually just waited to see if the guy would pick it up, and not track him down.

Take the picture to your local high schools, see if anybody in the office recognizes the kid. Make an effort to see if you can find him.

And if you can't after you honestly tried? I don't see much wrong with keeping it.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 25 Apr 2009, 10:19

Graham wrote:1: Get handed weird envelope
2: Take the money
3: ????
4: Profit!

Fixed.
sevey

Postby sevey » 25 Apr 2009, 10:49

Cureless poison, that was why he left out the ??? step. He meant that the mystery step had been revealed now, it was take the money.

Anyway, You should try to find the guy, he might be happy you gave it back to him and let you keep some of the money. Then + Good Karma! :D
WaffleIronMan wrote:They all look the same in the dark...unless they're fat
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 25 Apr 2009, 13:28

notomtolose wrote:Someone who looks just like CyberTractor... hmm... Ah-ha! Obviously, that is Paul's car key. Your avatar looks JUST LIKE HIM!!

The guy in my avatar is Paul...

Anyway, yeah. I'm probably just going to keep it. Its not like they know who I really am or anything.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 25 Apr 2009, 13:43

Just keep the key in your pocket, and periodically click the unlock button as you walk near cars and see what happens.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 25 Apr 2009, 14:31

Well, only one to do now. Buy alot of drugs and go to las vegas, totally original, write a book about two emotions and whatever the city name is with a hawaiian attorney protecting you
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 25 Apr 2009, 15:29

Hahaha. I know. When you have a person's face as your avatar, it gives people the impression that that's how you look, even if they know consciously that that isn't true.

You really oughtta turn that stuff in, dude. It's a lot of cash in the first place, plus keys like that are mad expensive to replace.

The least you could do is try craigslist or something. 'Received a car key in error from the police. If it's yours be ready to produce the vehicle in question.'
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 Apr 2009, 15:36

If people think I look like my avatar, I should let them know that I'm not 2D and have a much larger ponytail.

I think my avatar's ponytail is about a quarter of the length of my actual one, minimum.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 25 Apr 2009, 15:37

CyberTractor wrote:
notomtolose wrote:Someone who looks just like CyberTractor... hmm... Ah-ha! Obviously, that is Paul's car key. Your avatar looks JUST LIKE HIM!!

The guy in my avatar is Paul...

Anyway, yeah. I'm probably just going to keep it. Its not like they know who I really am or anything.

:twisted: You lose karma points.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 25 Apr 2009, 15:39

notomtolose wrote:Hahaha. I know. When you have a real human's face as your avatar, it gives people the impression that that's how you look, even if they know consciously that that isn't true.

Fixed. Besides, the fact that your avatar is supposed to be a drawing of you (quality irrelevant) kinda proves the point.

Return to “General Discussion”