Swine Flu!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: Swine Flu!

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Apr 2009, 16:55

You'd think between newspapers, television, radio, word of mouth, and the Internet we'd actually be fairly good at accurately communicating information...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 30 Apr 2009, 17:37

It is now being requested that it is no longer referred to as "swine" flu. It is "H1N1 Influenza A" or simply "H1N1". Calling it "swine" flu is creating false assumptions about its properties regarding actual swine. There is no proof, at this point, that it is transmitted by pigs or can be contracted through pork. It is a misnomer, and needs a new name. :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/30/pork.industry.impact/index.html

So, how about we give the world a hand by giving it a new name! :twisted:
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Apr 2009, 17:38

This just goes to show how stupid people can be...
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 30 Apr 2009, 17:40

(The government of Egypt slaughtered all the pigs in the nation on monday morning.

The genius that figures out that there is a HUGE MARKET for pig-selling in Egypt will be a very, very rich man.)
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 30 Apr 2009, 17:41

I seriously think of misinformation as a 'knowledge virus'.

It is something parasitic that, while it doesn't usually kill the host (valid, genuine facts and knowledge), it steals away attention and resources that would otherwise be provided to the 'host'.
goat

Postby goat » 30 Apr 2009, 17:56

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Hmmm...viruses don't stop with human shields, bullets, or barricades...my usual post-apocalyptic approach is useless here.

Though if I built a good enough barricade against humans and bullets...

Code: Select all

Markel describes a dramatic example in the mining town of Gunnison, Colorado. In 1918, town leaders built a veritable barricade, closing down the railroad station and blocking all roads into town. Four thousand townspeople lived on stockpiled supplies and food from hunting or fishing. For 3½ months, while influenza raged in nearly every city in America, Gunnison saw not a single case of flu -- not until the spring, when roads were reopened and a handful of residents fell sick. Visit LIFE.com for photographs of the lethal flu pandemic of 1918

Via http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/30/swine.flu.1918.lessons/index.html
Kipher
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Kipher » 30 Apr 2009, 18:13

I live in Texas, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay South Texas, most of us go to Mexico regularly. So what are my thoughts bout swine flu? Its the start of a whole tub of the most retarded rumors you will ever hear, according to the "valid information" people have spread half of the town should be dead >_< Its freaky, but not that much of a big deal, but that doesn't stop the idiots with the masks.....
:) look a smiley face, it makes you want to smile doesn't it?
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 30 Apr 2009, 18:17

See, I lived in Japan for a year. Wearing masks when you're worried about illness doesn't seem weird to me at all.
Kipher

Postby Kipher » 30 Apr 2009, 18:21

But its a flu, you don't catch it the flu by breathing the air, you get it by direct contact. Since there is still no major outbreak, I think masks are useless.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 30 Apr 2009, 18:56

I'm in Mexico right now!

FEAAAAR MEEEEEEE

*touches and hugs everyone*

XD

Some people are really scared here, this thanks to the media who keeps repeating the number of deaths, which is far below the statistic for a normal flu.

Tomorrow is a national holiday, so I'm gonna stay home, not because I want to, but because I have no money to go anywhere ¬¬, and our president, on his "wisdom" decided that non essential private business and government should remain closed Monday and Tuesday.

So, I'm gonna have to do home office on Monday and Tuesday... stupid Flu ¬¬
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 30 Apr 2009, 19:40

Okay... I spent something like 6 months working on the Pandemic plan for my office. So, I consider myself a well-informed civilian.

The flu virus is most often spread to the human population through either swine or avian transmission. The virus likes to transmutate in the welcoming environment of the pigs body. Then, it is generally transmitted to the human race through a slightly careless farm boy.

Historical perspective: The Pandemic flu of the early 20th century has been tracked back to two possible sources. One farm boy from Nebraska, another from Iowa. These two guys were drafted into the military, and started spreading the virus to others in their path during a boot camp type station in Kansas. In the cramped conditions of these military camps, the virus spread fast. These fellows then were quickly stationed in Europe... which started the "Pan" part of the pandemic... started a string of 6 million deaths across the nation. ... Puts a new perspective on WWI.

However... in comparison, we do not have such cramped unsanitary conditions. The nations health care system has advanced greatly since then. There is an extremely unlikely chance of this spreading the way the 1918 Influenza Pandemic did.

Best things you can do:
1. Wash your hands.
2. Masks won't help, save your money.
3. Drink plenty of water.
4. IF you feel sick, stay home. Rest. Treat it like the flu. The current strain has a standard 3 day incubation period, 3 days of being ill... and a couple days to recover. You will be back at your "Real life" within 10 days.

TLDR: This isn't a pandemic flu... this is a pandemic of fear: undue fear right now. Don't panic, it's just influenza. Just... be smart!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 30 Apr 2009, 23:11

Ya we had to suffer through a safety meeting. I as before mentioned work where we get people from EVERYWHERE so we gotta be careful, change gloves and wash hands. but at least we were joking about it. i.e. "any questions?" "what if we think were sick?" "call in and die quietly at home" or "dont call in if youre not sick just to get out of work" or "any questions" "am i going to die?" "most likely"
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 30 Apr 2009, 23:27

Elomin Sha wrote:Weren't those the two mentioned in the news having been to Mexico?

.... Well they were in Mexico.

I don't really watch/read the news. The outside world doesn't matter to me.
Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » 30 Apr 2009, 23:35

Kipher wrote:But its a flu, you don't catch it the flu by breathing the air, you get it by direct contact. Since there is still no major outbreak, I think masks are useless.

The flu can survive in the air. It survives on the moisture that is expelled when you cough or sneeze. Thats how it spreads in airplanes. It also survives on surfaces thats why they tell you to wash your hands before touching your mouth or eyes.

WHO raised to imminent pandemic level not because it will become a pandemic but rather so that nations would mobilize accordingly so that it DOES NOT become a pandemic. As it is swine flu jumped to over 200 but thats probably because of late confirmations.

And no I will not refer to swine flu as H1N1 influenza or any of that bullcrap. It came from pigs. Pig flu. SWINE FLU. I mean I dont get this irrational fear that you will get it from pigs. Its already jumped from pig to human. Now its jumping from human to human. You wont get it from eating the meat of pigs. I know of no culture that eats pork raw. And even if you did eat it raw, I very much doubt it will survive your stomach acids.
Kipher

Postby Kipher » 30 Apr 2009, 23:56

Mercenary wrote:
Kipher wrote:But its a flu, you don't catch it the flu by breathing the air, you get it by direct contact. Since there is still no major outbreak, I think masks are useless.

The flu can survive in the air. It survives on the moisture that is expelled when you cough or sneeze. Thats how it spreads in airplanes. It also survives on surfaces thats why they tell you to wash your hands before touching your mouth or eyes.

The point I was trying to make is that masks don't really work with the flu, especially when there no major sign of it at my school. I mean yes, if your in a public place and you know there can be some type of sickness going around then just wash your hands, in case you have some incapably to keep your hands off your face, then by all mean ware a mask.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 May 2009, 00:34

Masks can stop physical contact between your face and contaminated objects and such, so they're still useful.
Billy Hero4Hire

Postby Billy Hero4Hire » 01 May 2009, 12:31

I live in Maine and here the Swine Flu is getting more news coverage than a bio-terrorist attack would! Its getting rather pathetic. There is a chance my school could be closed for about a week to limit the spread. Several events have already been canceled and possibly the prom. I've already had to listen to a lot of "ahhhhhhhhhh germs ewwwieee" crap on tv. I'd like to come in to school in a Class A Hazmat Suit prepared to kill off any infected just to screw with people. :lol: Imagine the lulz! :lol: :lol: :lol:
!CAUTION!
This signature was deemed far to 1337 as it was known to cause loss of bladder control, vomiting, orgasms, summoning of the Devil, and in rare cases spontaneous combustion. This signature was removed for the safety you and the Internet.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 May 2009, 22:38

First of all, the swine flu is only killing the healthy people, apparently, so a suppressed immune system is your best bet.

Second of all, there is a shirt that I saw that says "Human flu kills more people per year than animal based flu. HUMANS: still the leading cause of death... in everything."

Third of all...

Fourth of all, LRR is missing a huge marketing opportunity.
It's stylish AND keeps you healthy*!

*DISCLAIMER: LRR is not responsible if you still contract swine flu or any other illness while using the LRR face mask, because you should have known that the mask doesn't protect you that well, asshat.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 May 2009, 02:59

Well played, well played
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 02 May 2009, 04:12

Billy Hero4Hire wrote:I live in Maine and here the Swine Flu is getting more news coverage than a bio-terrorist attack would! Its getting rather pathetic. There is a chance my school could be closed for about a week to limit the spread. Several events have already been canceled and possibly the prom. I've already had to listen to a lot of "ahhhhhhhhhh germs ewwwieee" crap on tv. I'd like to come in to school in a Class A Hazmat Suit prepared to kill off any infected just to screw with people. :lol: Imagine the lulz! :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, you live in Maine... what other local news is there to cover?

You know... I haven't seen anyone in a mask here, even on the subway, and let me tell you I wish some people would wear masks on the subway...

And, apparently... and I don't know how truthful this is, but I heard it on the Rachel Maddow Show... the type of mask you should be using (if you are indeed determined to wear a mask) are the type that painters and carpenters, etc... wear, not the type that doctors wear (unless you are sick and don't want to spread disease).
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 May 2009, 08:46

It seems that the flu is not as bad as was first assumed. Mexico has reduced the number of suspected deaths to 101 from 176 as more samples have been tested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8030365.stm
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
empath

Postby empath » 02 May 2009, 11:01

Jillers wrote:
Billy Hero4Hire wrote:I live in Maine...{ZOMG MEDIA ON PARANOID RAMPAGE}

To be fair, you live in Maine... what other local news is there to cover?

You know... I haven't seen anyone in a mask here, even on the subway, and let me tell you I wish some people would wear masks on the subway...

Huh. [/Mal]
Honestly, I agree with you there, funny people don't.

And, apparently... and I don't know how truthful this is, but I heard it on the Rachel Maddow Show... the type of mask you should be using (if you are indeed determined to wear a mask) are the type that painters and carpenters, etc... wear, not the type that doctors wear (unless you are sick and don't want to spread disease).

Aye, a rigid 'dust mask' rather than a cloth 'surgical mask' - we've got a box of those in the kitchen for spraying oven cleaner.

Here's a funny bit - take a closer look at tak's painted <wink> masks... :D

But, mask or no mask, it's STILL more important to wash your hands; I do all the time, but I cook at work, and whatnot, so I've been doing this 'Control Bacterial/Viral Spread' bit for YEARS.

Remember that 'Typhoid Mary' started off that whole mess from not washing her hands after taking a crap when she had the bug, and then prepared food for other people, passing the germs along...

This is why I really have no sympathy for the 'patient zero'-guys who brought Swine_Flu_2009 to humanity; they were lazy, slovenly jerks who couldn't be bothered to wash up.
Billy Hero4Hire

Postby Billy Hero4Hire » 02 May 2009, 14:16

Jillers wrote:To be fair, you live in Maine... what other local news is there to cover?

... We get bored sometimes :( ... so true

One day I was bored to I came to school in a plastic Halloween chest plate and shield for no reason... I get bored easily.
!CAUTION!
This signature was deemed far to 1337 as it was known to cause loss of bladder control, vomiting, orgasms, summoning of the Devil, and in rare cases spontaneous combustion. This signature was removed for the safety you and the Internet.
empath

Postby empath » 02 May 2009, 20:49

Dammit, why did my wife have to get all the concise wit?

Her sole comment on the whole topic: this
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 03 May 2009, 01:29

empath wrote:Dammit, why did my wife have to get all the concise wit?

Her sole comment on the whole topic: this

+1
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics

Return to “General Discussion”