Thread wherein the overambitious but lazy discuss projects

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Cybren

Thread wherein the overambitious but lazy discuss projects

Postby Cybren » 30 Apr 2009, 01:36

Like many people, I think, I tend to have plenty of ideas of things that I'd like to develop out fully. Currently I've got about fifty of them.

The primary ones are

a comic (web, or perhaps print) that I have been writing for a while now. It's super hero themed, but as I do not have or know any artists, has stalled indefinitely. (hey anyone want to work on a comic with me?)

a 4th edition D&D setting that takes place in, and alters the rules to fit, an MMORPG. This one I have had for a while, and was partly inspired by The Noob and .hack. Progressing better than most of my ideas but I'll probably forget about it in a few weeks and never finish it. The most difficult part is the "You/the player of the MMO character/the mmo character" divide and how it relates to social skills. I'm thinking to allow you to define every few levels your "metaplayer" with traits like "bought gold on ebay", "teamspeak", or "hacker", for example. Ritual casting would be axed, but the system itself used for hacking (with hacks custom built using that framework). This one interests me a lot because i'll be able to call it post modern and maybe that'd help me use D&D to get art chicks or something

a NWN2 module of a full campaigns worth of adventures my friend and I wrote for 3.5 D&D, rife with political maneuvering, colorful characters, and grandiose plots. It's also supposed to be a platform for what I think CRPG level and encounter design should look like, with dungeons that aren't just strings of monsters in a labyrinth from start to finish, or gameplay that revolves wholly around fighting. (the general premise is that each fight is at least one of "winnable, avoidable, retreatable, or repeatable" and that XP isn't tied directly towards slaying things)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: Thread wherein the overambitious but lazy discuss projects

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Apr 2009, 01:39

I've tried writing the first of a series of novels and scripting a machinima series. The latter one was derailed due to software issues more than laziness to be fair.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
WTDavies

Postby WTDavies » 30 Apr 2009, 01:51

Getting an artist attached to a web comic is like trying to nail jelly to a wild horse. Can't be done unless you're on very good terms with both the jelly and the horse, and knowing the nail previously is also a big help.

Artists, in my experience keep running off to art school just as you start making progress. Or at least the most promising ones do and most of the others just fade away.
Moo hoo ha ha.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 30 Apr 2009, 01:55

Just off the top of my head cause I was drawing up some plans for it today.

I started clearing an area to build a dry river bed and arbor/pagoda about 2 years ago, finished everything but the structure itself now which I'm gonna start in the next couple weeks i hope, But really i'm not gonna hold my breathe.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 30 Apr 2009, 02:08

I'd say sure, but I already have a bunch of my own projects. If I was gonna start another one I'd have to ask if I was getting paid for it. I'm not trying to sound like a dick here, but I'm busying myself trying to get employed making comics, so any extra work I take on would really have to be.. well, just that. Work.

I have two projects on the go that are related to LRR. There's the Runners poster and there's also the LRRmech comic.

I'm also writing a play with a friend of mine in RL. It's more of a re-write really, in fact. We're re-writing the panto format to something where the characteriseation is more realistic. Basically it's going to be a propper play but set in a fantasy panto-like land. It should be good.

I'm also writing my own comic about superheroes, but I'm creating from the ground up. I prefer the macro approach to writing a universe, so I have all the rules set out and now I'm working on the society, and then I'll need to do some research to write the characters. This is all in preparation for submiting the idea to various comics companies in the hopes they'll pick me up and I can do it for monies.

I also want to write an NWN module and/or write a D&D campaign. So basically, I'm pretty busy.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 30 Apr 2009, 02:14

I started writing what was originally going to be a fairly casual webcomic. Then one afternoon I got three fantastic ideas which, when I explored them further, coincidentally tied together loads of stuff I'd already written into one massive, epic story arc. The problem being most of the stuff I've written in detail happens up to twenty years into the comic's future, leaving the beginning planned but unwritten and most of the intervening time unaccounted for. With my usual work ethic of "get really into it for about a month, then don't do any serious writing for several", the future looks bleak.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 30 Apr 2009, 02:31

i have hundreds and hundreds of unfinished inventions, stories, comics, paintings, short films etc etc, but those are all secret. i also have a custom arcade machine half-built. not really due to laziness, but the rest of the materials are pricey and i am jobless.
my current project: see how long my hair and beard can grow.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 30 Apr 2009, 03:25

I am trying to finish an online run of the Tomb of Horrors. What? Thats ambitious, actually finishing that. Well I think its ambitious.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Apr 2009, 04:19

Joshua: Here's a tip. If you stick your head inside the mouth of the statue, it has a lever that you can pull to open up a trapdoor that circumvents almost half the tomb.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Apr 2009, 04:25

I have a lot that I want to do, but coursework is holding me back, most of the stuff I want to do is LRR related.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 30 Apr 2009, 07:23

I've got a bunch of comics projects that I really wish were prose projects. One is an Ada Lovelace steampunk fantasy romp. I find that steampunk is so visual that a prose story just could not do the thing I want to do with this.

Another is a harem manga about a cosplay club in a north american college somewhere. The twist is that I attempt to accurately model what it's like to be the only guy in a group of girls. There's this weird competition ownership territorialism thing that can spring up, and the results aren't as euphoric as people like to indicate. I would LOVE to get someone who can do Ken Akamatsu ripoffs to draw it.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 30 Apr 2009, 07:36

Ken Akamatsu.. you don't ask for much, do you :P

Those are some pretty busy images, and his use of colour is.. probably beyond me, at this point. I'm not very good at manga, either.

The thing is with harem fiction, as well as pretty much all manga, nobody is actually that stupid. The things that characters do and say in harem stories has so little relation to what real people would say and do, and how they would react, that you can say they're completely devorced from one another. Seriously, no one is that clumsy, nor would they just enter a room without knocking or just not lock a door that might be opened while you were undressed. Also, nobody would spring to such stupid conclusions, nor would anybody simply not explain themselves.

I think it's pretty clear harem manga and I don't get along. Sorry if you actually really like it, it isn't my intention to insult -.q
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 30 Apr 2009, 07:54

I want to be clear that when I said I wanted Ken Akamatsu I was sarcastically asking for the moon and stars. The fact that I know his name says something. The fact that he can make a straight girl hold up her new figure to check out the detailing on her panties says quite another thing.

My problem is that artistically I'm good, but good enough to know that I'm not great. Someday maybe I"ll pull out a scanner and post some of my work.

I like Ken for his side characters. Kaolla Suu from Love Hina and Yue Ayase from Negima are the best characters in any harem series I've read. I got into harem series in a limited capacity due to the fact that I got into anime during the "You will watch what is AVAILABLE and like it" era... the early 90s. I got into Love Hina through Kodansha Billingual comics... comics printed in english and japanese side by side for easy translation.

When I said I was writing a harem manga, it was by the very most basic definition: one guy, bunch of girls. Everyone actually behaves like real people - which is to say they are all stupid, but in a different direction than standard harem manga. They're real people stupid. Almost everything that happens in the thing is based on real experiences from someone I know. Some are exaggerations and some may be apocryphal to nearly the point of urban legend status, but they're not manga style absurdities.

If you've been in enough rooms at cons, you'll find that the "Hey, turn around while I change because our seventh roomate is in the bathroom and I need to get to a photoshoot" thing does happen. And you get enough T&A by merit of the costume designs themselves that you don't NEED to walk in to a changing room.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 30 Apr 2009, 08:02

I really need to get to some cons.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 30 Apr 2009, 08:19

Yeah. I usually get annoyed by harem anime or manga because even if I like the characters and think the designs are sexy the actual stuff that happens is just too stilted.

There is a reason that a cosplay club would be the perfect setting: that kind of bizarrely exploitative stuff happens and is realistic. I have a straight male friend who has been asked by a girl for help taping her breasts. A friend of mine who is a totally normal married chef walked around for an entire day dressed as Lum from Urusei Yatsura (tiger bikini and gogo boots = entire costume). I've seen two girls dressed as boys kiss in public to massive applause more times than I can count. The idea of putting someone unaccustomed to this chaos in the middle is DELICIOUS to me.

This thread has spurred me to mild activity. I'm updating a portion of an old script to be about World of Warcraft cosplay. As slutty as some of the tank uniforms are, the WoW main character females are actually fairly reasonably clothed. Look at Jaina. Heh.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 30 Apr 2009, 08:37

I have this enormous vision on how to build a city on the ocean based partly on the tech they use on the oilpumpers at sea. Naturally there are variables that I have no clue how to manage seeing as I've neither architeural or engineering education. Still I try to imagine the entire thing being powered by solar as well as water power.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 30 Apr 2009, 09:11

LRR card game, here. Have many of the rules down, but never actually made the cards or playtested. Someday I'll get around to this. Someday.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Apr 2009, 09:36

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:I have this enormous vision on how to build a city on the ocean based partly on the tech they use on the oilpumpers at sea. Naturally there are variables that I have no clue how to manage seeing as I've neither architeural or engineering education. Still I try to imagine the entire thing being powered by solar as well as water power.

That is certainly ambitious.

Be wary of oceanic storms though, any ocean-based city is going to essentially be a tower largely underwater, so a strong storm could tear you apart.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 30 Apr 2009, 10:58

Well if we overlook the world domination plans, then I guess my overly amitious plans are the following:

#1 - Writing, Directing, Filming, Editing and Posting long term video series on youtube that are successful and fun for people. And updating on a regular basis.

#2 - Assisting in the running and operation of Anime Evolution, the local anime convention in Vancouver BC (Canada)

#3 - Maintaining an active social life and continuing to be a leader in the Vancouver anime community

#4 - Eventually finding a way to balance a healthy relationship while all of the above continue in tandem.

The real hard part is balancing all 4 without generating significant stress and health problems. The sad thing is that I'm actually SERIOUSLY trying to pull this off. So far it hasn't worked so well :P
#TeamKroze
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Apr 2009, 11:26

Running for evil world dictator then?

You've got some competition from the Ask An Alex Live chat I think.
AmazingPjotrMan

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 30 Apr 2009, 12:51

Lyinginbedmon wrote:That is certainly ambitious.

Be wary of oceanic storms though, any ocean-based city is going to essentially be a tower largely underwater, so a strong storm could tear you apart.

The city doesn't neccessarily have to be underwater, if you build enough of those sturdy pillars (and believe you me, they're sturdy) they probably could take on a big proper storm. And location also a factor.
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 30 Apr 2009, 12:59

Most of the stuff I want to do kinda gets put back because I have other things to do (Haven't done a video review in about 4 weeks now) or because I can't get other people involved.

I want to make some more shorts but no one I know is interested (Damn Games Designers) and I'm too lazy to go find people.

Thats about it really, the reviews I actually did start but seem to be on hiatus at the minute...
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Apr 2009, 13:14

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:

The city doesn't neccessarily have to be underwater, if you build enough of those sturdy pillars (and believe you me, they're sturdy) they probably could take on a big proper storm. And location also a factor.

Suddenly I see LoadingReadyRapture somewhere in our future...
AmazingPjotrMan

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 30 Apr 2009, 13:25

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:

Suddenly I see LoadingReadyRapture somewhere in our future...

Only less experimentaion leading to horrible disaster. That and I need to find myself able to draw and that stuff.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Apr 2009, 13:33

We'll just have to reduce the amount of meddling with forces man was not meant to comprehend.

Return to “General Discussion”