Mac Limbo

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
vixenblade

Mac Limbo

Postby vixenblade » 18 Jun 2005, 16:02

Soooo... fairly recently, my laptop has been fried, quite literally... so I've been toying with the idea of making a conversion to a Mac, considering PCs have gone (and probably always have been going) to hell.

But! Someone mentioned to me in passing that Apple was making a switch over to Intel processors? o_0; Is it worth buying a powerbook now when it'll be obsolete in 2006/7? Or is it a better idea to get a throwaway PC until they upgrade? *laughs*

^^ Opinions greatly appreciated. I'm pretty much sitting on the fence, and I'm sure that most of you have a better insight on the Mac world than myself.
[insert witty coment here]
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 18 Jun 2005, 16:55

You already know my opinion. As an artist, I think you ought to treat yourself to a Mac. It will treat you nicely, won't accumulate spyware, and won't crash very often.
ontarianfrog
First Video: It was back in 04.. How would I remember

Postby ontarianfrog » 18 Jun 2005, 17:10

try mac on your PC, PEARPC is your friend. just get the OSX cd from a friend.....then you will know if it's worth it
Kramy

Postby Kramy » 19 Jun 2005, 00:10

Hmm, dunno - what do you use your computer for? PPC processors have always been noted for being more efficient than Intel processors(like by 80%). Now though Intel has AMD's released specs/blueprints/stuff, and has been improving their processors quite a lot. The newest Intel/PPC/AMD processors are pretty much on par with eachother, except AMD has a huge lead in games due to Hyper-Transport. Heh..poor Via, being left behind. Well, they still get some note in my book for making a 2.5W processor. Runs off a solar cell, lol. :wink:

Personally, I'd say go for it. Apple probably isn't likely to release an emulator that emulates x86 on PPC, but with their new 'universal binaries', companies will likely make programs for both for years to come.

Edit: Oh, if you might want to wait a week. My Uncle just bought an iMac due to his harddrive problem, so if you want I can report back on how it goes(if there's anything to report, that is).
-Kramy
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 19 Jun 2005, 08:20

I think, since you want to switch, but are wondering about spending a lot of money on a computer that will be out-dated in a couple of years, buy a mac mini.

1) It's like $800.
2) You can save money by using your existing monitor, keyboard, mouse.
3) So small and tiny! Perfect for Starcraft and Warcraft lan parties! If you get another one in two years, you can justify this as your 'portable' computer.
4) All the cool kids are doing it. As you can tell, there's A LOT of Mac users on this forum. My friend Belinda just bought an iBook. She is happy.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Dana

Postby Dana » 19 Jun 2005, 09:09

I will never be able to afford an iBook. :(
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 19 Jun 2005, 15:36

OSX , -nix for the computer illiterate.
It depends on what you use it for whether a mac is what you want. Unless you are really into gaming a mac would likely do every thing a windows box could if not better. Only you end up paying a premium for the usefriendlyness.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 19 Jun 2005, 16:21

I know a lot of people with macs, and this is my official warning to not touch iBooks with a 10-foot pole. This may sound funny from a happy iBook owner, but my book just got back from having its logic board replaced, and that was not fun :S.

While this was my first new board, my mother has had her logic board replaced once now, and her hard drive replaced twice, while I have another friend who has had her logic board replaced three times now.

That's three different models of iBook, all displaying the same inherant defect . . . and that's bad.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, and I love my mac . . . but iBooks just seem a little too unreliable on the hardware end.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 19 Jun 2005, 20:11

I haven't had a problem with my iBook at all, and the people I know who own them haven't had problems either. Hmm.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Kramy

Postby Kramy » 19 Jun 2005, 20:31

Just buy a Mac Mini so you can play WOW. :P Computers are going to be making some leaps fairly quickly. It's extremely likely you'll see dual-core AMD's widely available on the market before Apple releases their first MacTel.
-Kramy
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 20 Jun 2005, 07:32

To be fair, Jer, it's the logic board we're talking about. Clearly someone attempted to reason with your iBook about love, and the only possible response from the computer was to say 'Love? Illogical. Love does not compute.' then spark and fall over. Needless to say, its logic board was severely damaged.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Kramy

Postby Kramy » 20 Jun 2005, 08:48

That reminds me of Star Wars.

HK, do you know what love is?

HK-47: Many organic meatbags find that difficult to answer, Master, but I believe I can provide you with a satisfactory definition.

HK-47: Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away with an Aratech sniper rifle and a tri-light scope.
-Kramy
The R

Postby The R » 20 Jun 2005, 10:10

Fawx, Ill consult my friend Vic who is pretty much a mac GOD. He works in tech support , and has done stuff for us for a long time and knows just too much for his own good.

You shall have your answers soon.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 20 Jun 2005, 10:40

Well, if I were a Mac god, I would probably wear a toga and a wreath of laurels, descending from Olympus in the form of a giant iPod to conduct licentious Orphic rites among my many followers.

I mean, I'm just sayin'.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Kramy

Postby Kramy » 20 Jun 2005, 13:12

We're working on setting up my Uncle's new mac right now. At first the sound wouldn't work, so we took out all the cords, jiggled them around, shut it off, turned it back on, and tried pressing buttons. After we removed the speaker cord a third time the internal speakers kicked on.

Now we're trying to figure out how come the mac scanner he got(an HP) isn't working. Ran the installer, but it doesn't work. Shut it off, but it doesn't work. It works on a windows windows computer, but it doesn't do anything on the mac - gets some error about not being able to talk through USB for some reason. Still trying to figure out why - been trying for 2 hours. Probably gonna have to phone tech support I guess.

Man, PC's are so much easier if you actually take the time to learn how to use them. I'm still trying to find a panel that tells me about the hardware in it, and it won't let me find files using wildcards. I tried searching for music, and it brought up a bunch of .ttf files(fonts), :roll: so I'm at a loss of how to search for things. I think I'm actually going to have to read the book. Not something I look forward to. I never read books....like EVER, and never have had to unless it's something like which jumpers on a mobo do what. Even then it's usually fairly simple to guess based on where they actually are.

Edit: Any chance your God-Of-The-Mac friend could suggest a reason the USB scanner isn't working?

Also, one of the things I personally don't like about it is the "task-bar" that can be resized by dragging a slider, but not by dragging it....I really hate interfaces that work off percentages too. Don't know why, but I'd much prefer the "16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 40x40, 48x48, 64x64" options instead.
-Kramy
The R

Postby The R » 20 Jun 2005, 14:40

Tell me what model of mac, printer and what version of OS 10 are you using, and Ill see if I can get an answer.

" I'm still trying to find a panel that tells me about the hardware in it,"

Apple menu: "About this mac" and then click the "more info button"

Thats a shortcut to give you the "Apple system profiler" it will tell you all about the hardware and everything.
Last edited by The R on 20 Jun 2005, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Jun 2005, 14:41

Also, Jer failed to mention that only certain models of iBooks are affected, and any defects are fully covered.
I bought mine four years ago, and it's still running fine.

-G
vixenblade

Postby vixenblade » 20 Jun 2005, 20:50

Argh... I don't stop by for a few days, and the posts explode on me. *sigh*

Alex Steacy wrote:You already know my opinion. As an artist, I think you ought to treat yourself to a Mac. It will treat you nicely, won't accumulate spyware, and won't crash very often.

I know I'm going to make a conversion... it's just a matter of, do I convert now, or later? -- And I'm sure if you give me enough time with anything, I can make it crash. I'm just evil like that. =P

ontarianfrog wrote:try mac on your PC, PEARPC is your friend. just get the OSX cd from a friend.....then you will know if it's worth it

OSX doesn't worry me all that much... I'm sure I'll be able to adapt. Again, it's just basically the issue of will the Mac be able to keep up with me. -- But I did take your suggestion, and I'm fiddling around with it on an old computer, even though it was giving me hell with stability issues. Manageable.

Kramy wrote:Hmm, dunno - what do you use your computer for? ... (if there's anything to report, that is).

I'm a power-user... and I tend to make feeble processors melt in the face of my multitasking. It's a bad habit.

I'd almost rather the PPC processor, though... considering I have more experience with fixing them when they inevitably do go haywire. And I'm sure that no matter when I buy, the technology will become obsolete rather quickly. It'd be nice if I could just get something that'll last from the usage perspective. =P

Kathleen wrote:I think, since you want to switch, but are wondering about spending a lot of money on a computer that will be out-dated in a couple of years, buy a mac mini...

My brother's just picked himself up a Mac Mini. I'd do the same, but I'm really more of a notebook person: have been for quite some time. I need everything there and I enjoy the portability of it all. The Mini would be fine if I didn't have to carry around a monitor, etc. with me at all times. =P

Lord Chrusher wrote:OSX , -nix for the computer illiterate.
It depends on what you use it for whether a mac is what you want. Unless you are really into gaming a mac would likely do every thing a windows box could if not better. Only you end up paying a premium for the usefriendlyness.

Argh... problem already. Gaming = t3h shm3x. That's one of the reasons I was looking at getting myself a Voodoo.

Jer & Kathleen wrote:-concerning iBooks-

o_0 There aren't similar issues with the PowerBooks, are there? Even if I do have an extended warantee, which I plan on getting, I don't want to be running into all kinds of issues with the logic boards if I don't have to. I really need reliability.

Kramy wrote:Just buy a Mac Mini so you can play WOW. :P Computers are going to be making some leaps fairly quickly. It's extremely likely you'll see dual-core AMD's widely available on the market before Apple releases their first MacTel.

=P WOW works just fine on my PC. -- By the looks of it, you're right about the AMD's. And I know for a fact they're already being used with WinServer 2003, 'cause of my workplace. Those machines can't keep up with me though, so I'm wondering if I'm doomed either way. -- I guess companies don't really expect people to be watching DVDs while rendering, torrenting and burning all at the same time. *laughs*

The R wrote:Fawx, Ill consult my friend Vic who is pretty much a mac GOD. He works in tech support , and has done stuff for us for a long time and knows just too much for his own good.

You shall have your answers soon.

^^; Thankyou much.

If there's anyone on the forums that currently owns a PowerBook or knows someone who does that I can get in touch with, please tell me. ^^

Erk... that was one hell of a post. x_X;
[insert witty coment here]
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Jun 2005, 21:04

SilverFawx wrote:There aren't similar issues with the PowerBooks, are there?

No.

-G
Kramy

Postby Kramy » 20 Jun 2005, 22:20

SilverFawx wrote:I guess companies don't really expect people to be watching DVDs while rendering, torrenting and burning all at the same time. *laughs*

Wow, the most I've done at once is burned two CD's while torrenting, browsing the net, and running a spyware scan in the background.

Get an iBook just so you can watch your DVD's on it. :P

Seriously though, if that's what you use your comp for...you need to get something top of the line, and OVERCLOCK CRAZY. Get some nice water cooling and push an FX57 to 4.0ghz.(if possible, lol) I have plans to push my AMD 2800+ from 1.8ghz to about 2.6ghz hopefully, once my As5 gets here.

Btw, can Macs be overclocked? :?:
-Kramy
The R

Postby The R » 21 Jun 2005, 08:19

Blast, he was working yesterday, Ill see if I can get him on his day off today.

Vic, and my mom have powerbooks, and from what Ive seen they seem to be better than Ibooks (but ibooks are cheaper). I was watching some DVD's on her powerbook and it's pretty cool. Especialy with these new speakers that are crazy mad they are tiny but give incredible sound!:
Also they are Underlit! RICER RAGGGGEEEEE!! TYYPE RRRRRRR
(picuted off screen is an additional LCD monitor, and cute little wacom tablet, also the subwoofer is under the table)

I use XP pro on my PC , but I still like to use OS10 a lot better (Unless it's 10.2 or under.)
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 21 Jun 2005, 09:14

Also, Jer failed to mention that only certain models of iBooks are affected

Correct, only the ones produced in the last three years are affected--the defect has affected the dual USB G3, and every model of G4. Whether or not your particular computer will be affected is luck of the draw.

and any defects are fully covered.

For one year.[/quote]
The R

Postby The R » 21 Jun 2005, 14:30

K, I got a phonecall from him and he is at work this week (I thought he had today off) but in a very rushed call I got a few pointers:

- You should not worry about the Intel switchover
- Powerbooks have superior LCD displays, more power, and additional hook up ports (I didn't get all info on what they are), however they are not as tough as ibooks.
-ibooks construction is very durable compared to the powerbook, so if you are travelling alot get an ibook he says.
-He also mentioned to go in and see them up close hands-on.

Ill get more info when I catch him on his lunch break tomorrow.
ontarianfrog
First Video: It was back in 04.. How would I remember

Postby ontarianfrog » 21 Jun 2005, 17:39

Might i suggest overclocking your AMD 2800+ to only 2.20 GHz. Point is, up to the 3500+, the fastest clock speed is 2.20. If you are able to get up to 2.4, you are already running way too high, I don't think your mobo would support the voltage requiments and you'll need a copper core heatsink with a big fan that runs at least 3500 rpms.

BTW, my friend has his 2800+ at 2.20 Ghz, says his comp detects it as a 3200+ I think.

Good Luck.
Kramy

Postby Kramy » 21 Jun 2005, 17:51

ontarianfrog wrote:Might i suggest overclocking your AMD 2800+ to only 2.20 GHz. Point is, up to the 3500+, the fastest clock speed is 2.20. If you are able to get up to 2.4, you are already running way too high, I don't think your mobo would support the voltage requiments and you'll need a copper core heatsink with a big fan that runs at least 3500 rpms.

BTW, my friend has his 2800+ at 2.20 Ghz, says his comp detects it as a 3200+ I think.

Good Luck.

Lots of Barton 2800+'s come at 2.08ghz. The originals ran at 2.25ghz though, and mine just happened to come reset to 1.8ghz.("Stock" speed)

All you need is some proper 5000-6000RPM air cooling with a 2 pound heatsink and some As5(silver, not silicon), and a modded pole to hold it up, to get it quite a bit higher. Technically the theoretically max speed is around 3.0ghz, but most SERIOUS overclockers only get theirs to 2.65ghz or 2.45ghz. One person got theirs to 2.85ghz I believe, but I'd be a fool to hope for that - I'm hoping I got one that runs at atleast 2.4ghz. :D
-Kramy

Return to “General Discussion”