The FREE iPod touch/iPhone App database

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Sir_Substance

The FREE iPod touch/iPhone App database

Postby Sir_Substance » 13 May 2009, 20:48

Ive had a good look around, and there are lots of forums out there with lists of "the top 10" ipod/iphone apps.

the problem is that they are invariably listing the same apps.

so i want to start this thread, to try and get a list of really good apps that is more varied then the standard list.

there are rules, please read them before posting

there are two kinds of posts allowable in this thread.

The Positive Post
this post is where you recommend an app.

you may recommend up to three apps per positive post, and a minimum of one.
the app you recommend must conform to the following criteria:
1. it is free
2. it works on both the ipod touch and the iphone
3. it does not require jailbreaking to use
4. it has not been mentioned in this thread before

i know there are lots of good apps out there that are only for the iphone. but i dont have an iphone, and lots of other people dont either. an app that is considered to work on the iphone but not the touch is one that requires an piece of hardware that the phone has but the touch doesnt, eg the camera.

and yes, maybe evernote is wonderful. but if someone has already told us about it, please dont repeat them.

if you know that an app is restricted to a certain region, or that it is only free in a certain region, dont feel this means you cannot recommend it. but please, mention any such restrictions. the forum userbase is spread among europe, the UK, australia, the USA and canada. many apps are locked to one or two of these regions. please, save us all some time.

The Negative Post

this post is AS CLOSE as you may get in this thread to a discussion. in this thread, you may select a minimum of one and a maximum of three apps that have been mentioned in the thread in a positive post an say why you feel the person that recommended them was in error.

you may not make a negative post about a negative post.

two or more people may negatively review an app in a positive post.

final thread rules

you may not make three consecutive posts, and you may not make two consecutive posts of the same kind.

so, it should, at worst, look like this:
someone elses + post
my + post
my - post
someone elses - post
my - post
my + post

the following are not acceptable:
my - post
my - post

my + post
my + post

my (anything post)
my (anything post)
my (anything post)

so, with that out of the way, lets get listing!
Last edited by Sir_Substance on 14 May 2009, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Substance

Re: The FREE iPod touch/iPhone App database

Postby Sir_Substance » 13 May 2009, 20:51

so, a positive post:

Capsuleer

this is THE app for EVE players. it tracks skill training times, wallet balance, has a full list of every skill in the game and can automatically download selected eve blogs.

in the future it looks like it will also provide mapping and faction warfare functionality.

pure usefulness.

To-Do
This app does what it says on the box. it is single handedly responsible for getting me though a massive load of uni assignments. neat, elegant and providing only the functionality you need, it is the perfect things to do list.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 14 May 2009, 02:05

Just a quick question.

How is someone, say for example, me. Suppose to know an application is supposed to work for both iphone and itouch? I only own one of the devices cos I am not rich, nor would want both.

Also as a quick note, look here for a list of suggest apps as well. I posted some of my favourites in there.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 14 May 2009, 05:01

Red Charlie wrote:How is someone, say for example, me. Suppose to know an application is supposed to work for both iphone and itouch? I only own one of the devices cos I am not rich, nor would want both.

ill clarify that in the OP. basically, if it requires the camera, or the mobile phone connection, or anything hardware the iphone has that the ipod touch doesnt, then its not going to work. theres a bit of plausable deniability going on here, which is to say that if you post one that doesnt work for a very subtle reason , it doesnt really matter. im not going to hammer you either way, but i will frown and shake my head of i see someone posting an app that requires the camera.

Return to “General Discussion”