Humans are Sick... >.<

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Re: Humans are Sick... >.<

Postby Jillers » 06 Jun 2009, 13:32

Nevrmore wrote:This board just continues and continues to disappoint me at every turn.

Sarcasm can be a hard thing to spot when people are angry over something.

... At least, I think you were being sarcastic.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 06 Jun 2009, 14:09

Well, I imagine sarcasm has been around longer.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Jun 2009, 14:09

Jillers wrote:
Nevrmore wrote:This board just continues and continues to disappoint me at every turn.

Sarcasm can be a hard thing to spot when people are angry over something.

... At least, I think you were being sarcastic.

And he's disappointed in us not seeing the 'humour' in his totally inappropriate 'joke' under these circumstances? To be honest, I'm starting to warm up to Mr. Steacy's suggestion (for the hate-monger DJs, not the troll).

I wouldn't blame the audience, I'd blame the speaker for not understanding the state of mind of the audience, and not having the tact to determine whether a tangent of humour is going to be appreciated in the discussion.

E.G. Your friend has just discovered his wife has been cheating on him, and you walk up while he is visibly enraged, and tell him a knock-knock joke. Is it HIS fault that he neither comprehends nor enjoys your joke at that time?

tl;dr If nobody gets your joke, maybe it's you...
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 06 Jun 2009, 14:16

Thinking a joke isn't funny is one thing. Completely missing the joke is another.

Don't pretend like you're in the former.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 06 Jun 2009, 14:23

Why do people get so upset about stuff like this when its said on the radio or something like that? Surely you are not naive enough to think no one thinks like this. And if you know people think like this all the time, are you always upset?
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 06 Jun 2009, 14:30

My god, it's the fabled White Wank! MAN THE HARPOONS!

/inb4 Godwin

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 06 Jun 2009, 14:35

Joshua wrote:Why do people get so upset about stuff like this when its said on the radio or something like that? Surely you are not naive enough to think no one thinks like this. And if you know people think like this all the time, are you always upset?

Actually I do believe that people think like this all the time. It explains my surprise whenever I meet decent human beings. If I have not met you, or heard your opinions, I will likely assume you are in some small part of yourself a hateful fuckwad. Keeps me from being overly disappointed when I'm right.

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 06 Jun 2009, 14:40

Well, thats worse then naivety, I know people think like this all the time. I see no reason in getting all riled up when one of the assholes says it on the radio, or TV.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 06 Jun 2009, 15:19

Why? Because I absolutely guarantee it that a parent somewhere, after hearing that radio cast, drove home and beat their effeminate son within an inch of his life for "being such a freak." That's why I'm so upset.

I think it mentions it in the article as well, but Dr. George Tiller (a rather well known abortion doctor) was murdered last week, not long after Bill O'Reilly rallied for it. So you can't tell me people aren't stupid enough to blindly follow what people tell them. As far as I'm concerned, they should try him as an accessory to murder. Or at the very least, for spreading hate-mongering propaganda which resulted in a murder.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Jun 2009, 15:23

Nevrmore wrote:Thinking a joke isn't funny is one thing. Completely missing the joke is another.

Don't pretend like you're in the former.

Oh, YES; we're SOOOO beneath you and COMPLETELY undeserving of you ABSOLUTE COMEDIC GENIUS.

Really makes me wonder why you bother hanging around here with all us clueless idiots, since we clearly will NEVER appreciate your brilliance...

FUck this; Screw all you west coast elitest pricks.

/dev/null
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 06 Jun 2009, 15:27

Your attempt to hide your embarassment at missing obvious sarcasm is pretty pitiful, empath.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 06 Jun 2009, 15:32

TorachiKatashi wrote:Why? Because I absolutely guarantee it that a parent somewhere, after hearing that radio cast, drove home and beat their effeminate son within an inch of his life for "being such a freak." That's why I'm so upset.

I think it mentions it in the article as well, but Dr. George Tiller (a rather well known abortion doctor) was murdered last week, not long after Bill O'Reilly rallied for it. So you can't tell me people aren't stupid enough to blindly follow what people tell them. As far as I'm concerned, they should try him as an accessory to murder. Or at the very least, for spreading hate-mongering propaganda which resulted in a murder.

Someone doesn't go out and kill someone els because someone on TV said something like that, it may give them an excuse when it comes up, but for someone to do something like that they would have clearly already been thinking about doing it.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 06 Jun 2009, 15:41

Guys, let's all calm down and avoid being upset with each other over something we all, at its core, agree on.

There's a lot to be said for the fact that this thread is the closest to a flame war that I've ever seen on the LRR forums. Let's not let it advance any further.

Specifically Nevermore, empath, and Toraichi, you guys need to stop going after each other. If nothing else, agree to disagree. We don't need the drama.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 06 Jun 2009, 15:54

To be honest, Tim, we have had bigger in the past, but those were actual earnest discussions which were simply overly passionate.

The difference here is that Nevrmore is a troll. He purposefully incites people. And he's a tricky one, because he is subtle enough and well spoken enough to pass as a normal forum poster most of the time. This isn't the first forum I've seen him on, and his tactics remain the same. He purposefully stirs up controversial issues so he can take advantage of emotions and tempers to point out the flaws of their thinking while upset.

~Alja~
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 06 Jun 2009, 16:04

Tim wrote:Specifically Nevermore, empath, and Toraichi, you guys need to stop going after each other. If nothing else, agree to disagree. We don't need the drama.

The problem being that there is nothing to disagree on. My statement against how beating children worked fine was not serious, which empath and Torachi failed to pick up on. I'm not going to apologize because they missed the joke, whether it was a particularly good joke or not.
Alja-Markir wrote:The difference here is that Nevrmore is a troll. He purposefully incites people. And he's a tricky one, because he is subtle enough and well spoken enough to pass as a normal forum poster most of the time. This isn't the first forum I've seen him on,

Okay. I'll bite, since you just love bringing it up at every turn. Where exactly have you seen me "troll" before, Alja? I'd like specific examples, if you please.

and his tactics remain the same. He purposefully stirs up controversial issues...

Yes. I stirred up the controversial issue of beating children in the thread about radio hosts advocating beating children. Credit where it's due.

...so he can take advantage of emotions and tempers to point out the flaws of their thinking while upset.

So...The basis for your accusation of my trollhood is that I point out logical holes in a person's argument against my own?

I can't imagine you being very good at winning debates.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 06 Jun 2009, 16:32

Nevrmore, if you have nothing serious to say about the topic, you're welcome and encouraged to leave. I don't much appreciate you taking over my thread for the sake of being an attention whore.

Someone doesn't go out and kill someone els because someone on TV said something like that, it may give them an excuse when it comes up, but for someone to do something like that they would have clearly already been thinking about doing it.

There was an episode of Judge Judy (I know, lame, not the point) where she was talking about when she was a family court judge, where a group of girls talked two of them to beat a girl to death on the bus, and she charged all of them with the same crime because they were just as guilty of killing her even if they never touched her. They got them pumped up to do something they wouldn't have actually had the nerve to do on their own. It's the same thing.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 06 Jun 2009, 16:40

TorachiKatashi wrote:Nevrmore, if you have nothing serious to say about the topic, you're welcome and encouraged to leave.

Well it's good to know that you're giving me the official okay to leave, buddy. :)

I don't much appreciate you taking over my thread for the sake of being an attention whore.

I didn't take it over, everyone else did. The topic that derailed the thread just happened to be about me.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 06 Jun 2009, 16:46

TorachiKatashi wrote:Nevrmore, if you have nothing serious to say about the topic, you're welcome and encouraged to leave. I don't much appreciate you taking over my thread for the sake of being an attention whore.

There was an episode of Judge Judy (I know, lame, not the point) where she was talking about when she was a family court judge, where a group of girls talked two of them to beat a girl to death on the bus, and she charged all of them with the same crime because they were just as guilty of killing her even if they never touched her. They got them pumped up to do something they wouldn't have actually had the nerve to do on their own. It's the same thing.

It clearly isn't the same thing, someone saying it to you indirectly on a station you can change and not worry about is completely different than a friend telling you to do it, over and over again.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 06 Jun 2009, 17:35

Joshua wrote:Why do people get so upset about stuff like this when its said on the radio or something like that? Surely you are not naive enough to think no one thinks like this. And if you know people think like this all the time, are you always upset?

Why do we get upset over people encouraging violence against anyone who's different? Why do we get upset over people encouraging violence against children?

Why aren't you upset that someone thinks it's completely ok to beat children, and is encouraging other people, many people (more people than they could reach on a personal level), to act on their suggestions?

You can accept that people think like this, but you don't have to think it's ok.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 06 Jun 2009, 18:28

I do not think those actions are okay, I never said that, please don't imply that I don't care. I wonder why people get so upset when people state their views like this on a public platform, no one who doesn't already feel the same way is going to agree with them. If you are upset only because they said it on radio, then you aren't truly upset with the issue, why go into an uproar now instead of all the time, you know people out there think like this all the time.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 06 Jun 2009, 18:33

Joshua wrote:I do not think those actions are okay, I never said that, please don't imply that I don't care. I wonder why people get so upset when people state their views like this on a public platform, no one who doesn't already feel the same way is going to agree with them. If you are upset only because they said it on radio, then you aren't truly upset with the issue, why go into an uproar now instead of all the time, you know people out there think like this all the time.

I don't think anyone here is upset solely because they said what was said on public radio, but because they said what they said. I never got the impression that anyone posting here was upset that it was said over radio, but that it was said at all.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 07 Jun 2009, 00:56

TorachiKatashi wrote:Why? Because I absolutely guarantee it that a parent somewhere, after hearing that radio cast, drove home and beat their effeminate son within an inch of his life for "being such a freak." That's why I'm so upset.

While we're at it, lets charge Take Two with accessory to murder. Theres been more than one school shooter who's named them as their influence.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 07 Jun 2009, 01:29

sdhonda wrote:

While we're at it, lets charge Take Two with accessory to murder. Theres been more than one school shooter who's named them as their influence.

The subtle difference between that and this situation is that the video game never explicitly states "You should go shoot people", whereas these guys did explicitly say:
States, according to the article wrote:If the kid ever gets to be eighteen and says "I still feel like a woman!" you say, "Get out! Go be a freak! And understand, SON, that society will never accept you because we still have some moral judgment"

Emphasis mine; the man is issuing the direct command to ostracize your child because they are transgendered.

It's a very fine line I think, and I completely understand the argument, I just disagree with the position.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 07 Jun 2009, 03:02

Joshua wrote:I do not think those actions are okay, I never said that, please don't imply that I don't care. I wonder why people get so upset when people state their views like this on a public platform, no one who doesn't already feel the same way is going to agree with them. If you are upset only because they said it on radio, then you aren't truly upset with the issue, why go into an uproar now instead of all the time, you know people out there think like this all the time.

You must not realize how dumb a lot of people really are, then. There ARE a lot of people who will listen to people like that, every single day, and take everything they say to heart. (Not to be stereotypical, but I imagine it's mostly those over-the-top Christians in the deep south, the kind that would actually listen to a man tell them to beat their transgendered child and agree). I'm willing to bet there was more than one person who before this, had always secretly wanted to just smack their kid until they stopped being so weird, but wouldn't actually DO it, until they heard these guys telling them it was the right thing to do. Willing to bet the shooter had always contemplated shooting Dr. Tiller, but couldn't actually get up the nerve to do it until Bill O'Reilly told him he should.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 07 Jun 2009, 04:30

Well, I can't state my views on this any better so I'm not going to argue with you gents(and ladies) any more. I will say this as my closing, I don't believe any truly lucid human can blame their actions on that witch was suggested by any medium, tv, radio, video games or otherwise. If you are mentally sane, your choices are just that, your own.

Return to “General Discussion”