AMERICA DAY AMERICA DAY AMERICA DAY!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Do YOU celebrate your freedom - er, country?

YES! I'm a gosh-darn PATRIOT!
53%
Eh, who likes fireworks anyways?
17%
I've already got my shotguns loaded!
10%
America is controlled by the corporate elite.
20%

Total votes: 30
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: AMERICA DAY AMERICA DAY AMERICA DAY!

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jul 2009, 09:03

For my arts elective next year, I'm taking "Religion, Magic, and Witchcraft in the Medieval World", which should be interesting. I wanted to take Prohibition and Rum-Running in Canada, but it conflicted with courses I couldn't drop :(.

As to the Western Provinces: Essentially the majority of the Western Provinces were originally part of the North-West Territories/British North America, and largely unsettled (well, except by the Natives, but nobody really cared about them. The whole Metis Rebellion thing was about it). Other than a few trading posts (many of which were set up and run by Americans to sell whiskey to the natives, which led to the formation of the RCMP to kick them out), there were very few signs of settlement from Ontario to BC, which was its own colony. Not being able to support itself, and not wanting to join with the US for the most part, BC decided that it would join with Canada, after MacDonald (our first PM) offered to build a railroad from Ontario to British Columbia. As a result of building the railroad, a lot more of the Prairies got settled, and eventually developed into the provinces you know today.

Manitoba was the first "Western Province" (a year before BC, most of Manitoba and Western Ontario was privately owned land (Ruperts Land) which was sold to the Canadian Government), and was known as the "Postage-stamp" province due to its small size and square shape. It eventually grew, and gained more representation in Parliament, which allowed the rest of the west to demand there own representation, leading to Alberta and Saskatchewan.

So its "interesting" from a political and legal perspective, but lets just say no blockbuster films are going to be made about it any time soon.

EDIT: That was all from memory, and full of inaccuracies. One that I just checked on though was that Rupert's Land actually included All of Manitoba, most of Saskatchewan and Alberta, and parts of Nunavut and Quebec as well. A small part of also became part of the US. All this was sold to the government in 1869 for £300 000 pounds. That then became the Northwest Territories, along with all the other land we claimed because nobody else wanted it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Penthesilea180
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby Penthesilea180 » 11 Jul 2009, 09:02

Wow, all that land was owned by a guy named Rupert? No wonder Stewie chose that name for his teddy bear. I'm still baffled by the fact that so much of North America was bought and sold. Perhaps celebrating the independence of the Eastern states as the birth of the US is better than celebrating the Louisiana Purchase.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Jul 2009, 13:04

Well it was owned by the Hudson's Bay Trading Company, which was granted a monopoly by the Crown to all the water that drains into Hudson's Bay, and thus the land surrounding it (turns out that's quite a bit), for the purposes of trading with the natives and exploration for Britain. It was named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, the first Governor of the company (and the King's cousin). Essentially the HBTC was to Canada/North America what the East India Trading Company was to that area of the world. Except without Pirates (well, outside of Saskatchewan).

And the "owning" of it is vague, as it was a trading monopoly, and thus only belonged to them as long as the Crown wished it so. While it was sold to Canada after we became a country, it was an act of the UK Parliament that authorized the transfer of land in exchange for the money.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 12 Jul 2009, 22:25

Point of interest that is often mixed up: archaeology is not the same thing as paleontology. Burgess shale is neat. As are the badlands in Alberta for their many and varied dino bones. I know what dino bones taste like (compared to just regular rocks). But first nations people didn't have much contact with brontosauruses in any kind of an interestingly social way. The archaeological stuff I am interested in is primarily related to buildings. Natives up here didn't advance much farther than pit houses - leopluradon even less so.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr

Return to “General Discussion”