Ice Hockey.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Dank360

Ice Hockey.

Postby Dank360 » 08 Jul 2009, 20:41

I know this might be stereotyping, since LRR is Canadian based, and I am also unable (see: too lazy) to actually research any of the cast's hobbies and activities (see: stalking), but I was wondering who in the cast plays any hockey.

Because hockey is seen as barely above driving around in a circle really fast (see: NASCAR), I find it borderline orgasmic to be able to find other people who share the same interest as I do. Since LRR is my favorite group to follow and watch, I thought it would be cool to post here about my favorite subject.

If anyone would care to reply and discuss some cool shit about this sport, that would be pretty cool in my book.

anyone at all? :' D
Cybren

Re: Ice Hockey.

Postby Cybren » 08 Jul 2009, 20:43

I don't know about playing it but I know Matt refs
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 08 Jul 2009, 20:47

Nobody plays, Matt refs, some of us really, really like the Canucks.
Adam (from stuck in a car with your friends), is my bestest friend and roommate and he likes Hockey too much.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Ben

Postby Ben » 08 Jul 2009, 21:03

Other Adam (tall balls) played when he was young. We went to a lacrosse box the other day and played around a bit. Weren't enough of us and it was freaking hot.

I'm not really into watching it, and never played on ice, but I've always liked playing street/blade hockey.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 08 Jul 2009, 21:06

carrrrr...
game on!
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 08 Jul 2009, 21:18

I played when I was 6 and 7, but then when we moved and I dropped it.

I play ball hockey through university most years.

I'm a huge Canucks fan.

Who's your favourite team, Dank? Are you more of a player or a fan? I'm not a great skater, but if I had equipment I think it would be fun to get out there and play in a beer league or whatever at some point.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Dank360

Postby Dank360 » 08 Jul 2009, 22:00

I play hockey in college in new york, but Im from Maryland, so Im a huge washington caps fan. they are winning the cup in the next two years.

I just am wondering, would the beer leagues in canada be better then the ones in the US? i need something to do after college, as my writing degree isn't going to get me anywhere (joke...lol)

I was listening to the LRRcast for The Pub and Paul and Matt totally referenced hockey and connected it to starcraft 2. That made me think "wow, a hockey reference. Im going to go change my pants and post something."
Last edited by Dank360 on 08 Jul 2009, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 08 Jul 2009, 22:02

I played hockey from the age of 4-15 at which point I fucked up my ankle pretty bad which took me out of the rest of that season and the next one, and after that I wasn't really able to get back into it with other activities taking over (see: Golf) I very much wonder what my life would have been if I didn't injure myself as badly as I did. I can promise you I would have continued to play hockey as long as I could, which drastically would have changed my life.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 08 Jul 2009, 22:05

Listen to all the podcasts if you want to research, you feel like a stalker after all the stuff you learn about them. Not that I have any experience in that sort of thing...
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 08 Jul 2009, 22:52

I used to play for Canada.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 09 Jul 2009, 00:27

Was THAT the job you told us not to ask about Brad?...

Anyway, the closest I can come to playing ice hockey is broomball, Ice Hockey's retarded cousin from the US. Basically swap the skates for sneakers, the puck with balls, the sticks with broomsticks with plastic bits on the end, and let it be a free-for-all. Actually, it's a bit more fun than it sounds, but it is in no way a form of hockey.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 Jul 2009, 00:37

I'll watch it when the playoffs are on.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 09 Jul 2009, 05:04

I've made numerous references to curling without any bites from the crew or anyone on the forums. Dude, practically all of the curlers in the world live in Canada. It's so disappointing.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Jul 2009, 06:13

I used to play street and ball hockey a fair bit (standard part of gym class), and I still have a stick in my closet just in case. I don't regularly follow hockey, but I do enjoy the odd game, especially during the Olympics.

And eccod, the last curling world championship was within walking distance of my house, so don't talk to me about curling (still angry over what happened).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
goat

Postby goat » 09 Jul 2009, 06:32

Dank360 wrote:I know this might be stereotyping, since LRR is Canadian based, and I am also unable (see: too lazy) to actually research any of the cast's hobbies and activities (see: stalking), but I was wondering who in the cast plays any hockey.

Because hockey is seen as barely above driving around in a circle really fast (see: NASCAR), I find it borderline orgasmic to be able to find other people who share the same interest as I do. Since LRR is my favorite group to follow and watch, I thought it would be cool to post here about my favorite subject.

If anyone would care to reply and discuss some cool shit about this sport, that would be pretty cool in my book.

anyone at all? :' D

I will fight everyone where you live. That is the highest blaspheme.

I'd be happy to talk your ear off over the sport (at least as far as the NHL is concerned), so long as you don't mind me heaping praises all over my beloved Red Wings. *grin*

Glad to have another fan on board.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 09 Jul 2009, 06:57

Master Gunner wrote:And eccod, the last curling world championship was within walking distance of my house, so don't talk to me about curling (still angry over what happened).

Angry about the results (the dumbass skip call in the last end) or a mob of curling fans temporarily taking over your city?
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Brad

Postby Brad » 09 Jul 2009, 07:57

tak197 wrote:Was THAT the job you told us not to ask about Brad?...

Nah, that's was pretty public to begin with.

Twitter

Flickr

Cybren

Postby Cybren » 09 Jul 2009, 09:32

Also hockey is in no way above NASCAR, the most popular spectator sport in the US after football
goat

Postby goat » 09 Jul 2009, 09:42

Cybren wrote:Also hockey is in no way above NASCAR, the most popular spectator sport in the US after football

I'm not arguing viewership. I just happen to think that hockey is a far better sport than NASCAR.
Brad

Postby Brad » 09 Jul 2009, 10:02

Why do Americans watch Nascar, seriously? How is that an entertaining use of one's time? They just drive in a circle. For hours.

That isn't fun. That isn't fun to watch. Put them in giant bumper cars, split them into two teams where they have to bump an empty car into the other team's goal zone, and now you've got a sport worth watching and one that I'd like to play.

Seriously, this needs to be a thing.

Twitter

Flickr

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Jul 2009, 11:27

ecocd wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:And eccod, the last curling world championship was within walking distance of my house, so don't talk to me about curling (still angry over what happened).

Angry about the results (the dumbass skip call in the last end) or a mob of curling fans temporarily taking over your city?

The dumbbass skip. I was staying in on holiday for most of that, and most of the fans were on the other side of they city (I say "walking distance" in that I've walked that distance before, much easier to just take a bus or car down there).

And Brad, I believe Top Gear did that once, except with real cars. I too, would watch that sport.
I was actually at a race in Toronto once, about 10 or 11 years ago (so I would have being about 6 or 7 at the time), and I didn't find it very interesting then. I don't find watching it on tv today very interesting. I don't find playing computer games of it very interesting. A classmate of mine actually races in the local circuit, and plans to get into NASCAR, and while I support him in that, I simply don't find it appealing.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
goat

Postby goat » 09 Jul 2009, 19:04

Brad wrote:Why do Americans watch Nascar, seriously? How is that an entertaining use of one's time? They just drive in a circle. For hours.

That isn't fun. That isn't fun to watch. Put them in giant bumper cars, split them into two teams where they have to bump an empty car into the other team's goal zone, and now you've got a sport worth watching and one that I'd like to play.

Seriously, this needs to be a thing.

I agree, it is absolutely no fun to watch unless you have an inside perspective. My dad is a real gearhead and watches it because he loves watching the war of attrition on the cars and the mechanics of things. Even then, he still falls asleep half the time, or (more often in recent years) takes just a passing interest in who is winning before he changes the channel. I just can't understand the people that go and spend all damned day just watching it with no perspective.

As for the car thing:

http://www.whirlyball.com/what/

Oh, and the place has a bar. I so want to do this.

edit: it says you're not allowed to play while intoxicated, but it doesn't say how intoxicated.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 09 Jul 2009, 19:10

tak197 wrote:Was THAT the job you told us not to ask about Brad?...

Anyway, the closest I can come to playing ice hockey is broomball, Ice Hockey's retarded cousin from the US. Basically swap the skates for sneakers, the puck with balls, the sticks with broomsticks with plastic bits on the end, and let it be a free-for-all. Actually, it's a bit more fun than it sounds, but it is in no way a form of hockey.

I friggen love broom ball! its so much fun!

As for me, I have close friends who have drug me into being a pens fan.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Dank360

Postby Dank360 » 09 Jul 2009, 19:33

korri wrote:
As for me, I have close friends who have drug me into being a pens fan.

Ooh. Korri, you seemed like such a cool person...and then you mentioned being a Pens fan...what a shame. lol
In Washington, there was some fighting that broke out when the Pens won game 7. I mean come one people, we don't live in Canada.

I honestly have no idea why NASCAR has such great appeal. what irks me most is that the thing lasts for over 500 laps in most cases, so that means all the interesting parts happen in the last 5 minutes, and even then that just equates to one car passing another and then cutting close to the inside. I feel like the "moves" that the drivers use equate to nothing more then highway jackass moves, which in New York is practically a bloodsport. Just film any on-ramp that leads into Manhatten and you'll have some of the most interesting car footage that NASCAR could never hope to touch.
Brad

Postby Brad » 09 Jul 2009, 19:59

goat wrote: the war of attrition on the cars and the mechanics

I always thought of it as a war of attrition between the tv and the viewer.

goat wrote:http://www.whirlyball.com/what/
Oh, and the place has a bar. I so want to do this.
edit: it says you're not allowed to play while intoxicated, but it doesn't say how intoxicated.

This is definitely cooler than nascar, but I'm still big on the "empty car is the ball thing" where you bump them into the goal or possibly, "unpowered car with bikini-girl in it is the ball." She could hold up round signs like in boxing.

Infinitely more watchable!

As for hockey: the only decent team is the Red Wings, but from about 1996. Bring back Paul Coffey and I will give a damn about you again, Detroit.

Twitter

Flickr

Return to “General Discussion”