Things to do when you can't sleep

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: Things to do when you can't sleep

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Jul 2009, 18:23

empath wrote:Okay, masturbation maybe (usually used if you're too TENSE to sleep), but if you're NOT tired after sex with a partner, YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT! Image

Following sexual release the male brain actually releases hormones that induce relaxation and feelings of calm.

Men are actually neurologically wired to fall asleep after sex :P
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Hayamo
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Hayamo » 27 Jul 2009, 18:31

The thing that usually keeps me up is games or videos, TF2 is my primary cause for insomnia, others would be random things like one time I was playing Secret of Monkey Island till 2 in the morning. Recently I was just doing random shit in Garry's mod and tried to get Kailerra to work. But video-wise I usually find myself rewatching videos on LRR, other times I'll watch videos from That Guy With The Glasses, but it's usually LRR.
theshortone42

Postby theshortone42 » 27 Jul 2009, 20:44

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
empath wrote:Okay, masturbation maybe (usually used if you're too TENSE to sleep), but if you're NOT tired after sex with a partner, YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT! Image

Following sexual release the male brain actually releases hormones that induce relaxation and feelings of calm.

that would be how i'm doing it wrong...i'm not a man XD
I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive ~ George Carlin
HiroProtagonist

Postby HiroProtagonist » 27 Jul 2009, 21:20

theshortone42 wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:

that would be how i'm doing it wrong...i'm not a man XD

HA!

Well while we're on the subject, did you know that in women orgasms help get rid of headaches? You can't use that as an excuse anymore!! :p
68 mustang convertible parts + stingray body = the StingStang: Travesty on wheels.

Matt wrote:Kittens are bullshit.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 27 Jul 2009, 21:24

Ah but did you know that when men present women with that fact, an "accidentlat" kick in a tender spot and/or the silent treatment is 60% more likely to occur
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
VanHelsing23

Postby VanHelsing23 » 28 Jul 2009, 15:17

Find out the definition of words like haberdashery.
War is hell.
Hell is other people.
Therefore, War is other people.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 28 Jul 2009, 15:56

Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Then how come afterwords I always want to work on music or do something creative? I'm usually wide awake until about 2 hours afterwords.
But, like Lewis Black said, we are all snowflakes.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 28 Jul 2009, 16:01

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:Ah but did you know that when men present women with that fact, an "accidentlat" kick in a tender spot and/or the silent treatment is 60% more likely to occur

+1 :lol:
HiroProtagonist

Postby HiroProtagonist » 29 Jul 2009, 07:39

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:Ah but did you know that when men present women with that fact, an "accidentlat" kick in a tender spot and/or the silent treatment is 60% more likely to occur

:D :shock: :cry: :evil:
68 mustang convertible parts + stingray body = the StingStang: Travesty on wheels.

Matt wrote:Kittens are bullshit.
theshortone42

Postby theshortone42 » 29 Jul 2009, 11:05

because of my inability to sleep until the wee hours of the morning i ended up reading and finishing two books last night before finally just passing out.

although i have noticed that i can't sleep without being covered up, and i prefer to sleep in sunny patches XD much like a cat.

but also, i've meditated myself to sleep once and might try it again, but i can't stay still for too long or my back starts to hurt....
I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive ~ George Carlin
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 29 Jul 2009, 11:24

The only problem with meditating into sleep is that if you're suddenly jolted awake it can be dangerous, like waking a sleep walker. That's why meditations very slow and paced; if you do anything too quickly it makes your brain go funny
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Jul 2009, 17:05

Actually there's no danger in waking a sleepwalker, its the same as waking them from a regular deep sleep. Unpleasant and disorienting for them, but not dangerous by any means. According to my psych textbook at least.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Theokotos

Postby Theokotos » 29 Jul 2009, 23:45

Obviously certain strategies work for some people and not others. I've been a chronic insomniac my entire life, and have yet to find an answer. However, I generally enjoy listening to the advice people who are not insomniacs give me, the 'best' thus far has been prayer. Of course! I haven't slept for an entire week (sometimes more) because I should have been praying! Brilliant, surely it has nothing to do with the fact that I cannot turn off my brain.

In the beginning, and it sounds like most of you don't go for more than a day or two, those extra hours are useful for household chores and work. By the end I usually end up on the floor hallucinating. In the end it's best to give up and resort to meds.

My favorite thing to do, though, is go out for long walks and train rides. It doesn't tire me out, but I like seeing the city at night.
TheTempestKing
Location: North Carolina. It does indeed suck as much as it is rumoured to.

Postby TheTempestKing » 30 Jul 2009, 16:53

Lyinginbedmon wrote:My handy dandy username is partially because of my sleeping issues, I'm likewise nocturnal so I tend to sleep long into the day time as well.

Generally I play music while trying to get to sleep at night, which more recently has crept forwards to around 4 AM much to my chagrin. Alternatively I play games online, Garry's mod a popular choice.

Music, podcasts, and perhaps an iPod Touch game or two are usually my remedies of choice. That said, Garry's Mod isn't a bad option either. That and other games (Counter Strike: Source comes to mind) serve as a great way to at least keep you entertained if not asleep.
Bento

Postby Bento » 09 Aug 2009, 23:56

Nyquil
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
Bento

Postby Bento » 09 Aug 2009, 23:58

No seriously I talked to a doctor and he said it was fine as long as you do it sparingly and take only the recommended dose
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
Chfan

Postby Chfan » 10 Aug 2009, 05:45

Is there anything besides drugs or wanking I can use to get to sleep? I'm never tired when I try to...
Well, hallo there.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 10 Aug 2009, 06:17

Bento wrote:No seriously I talked to a doctor and he said it was fine as long as you do it sparingly and take only the recommended dose

I always take a double of that stuff, but only when I'm sick...I'm not an addict or anything.

Actually last night I could sleep so I watched a DVD from Monty Python's Flying Circus 16-ton DVD Box set.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 10 Aug 2009, 09:26

Yoga & stretching. I swear by it.

'What the bloody hell am I doing this for?!'
:)
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 10 Aug 2009, 12:25

Punch yourself in the face till you pass out.

Or keep a bag of lavender next to your bed. Whichever works.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 11 Aug 2009, 04:23

Listen to Radioheads newest track - Harry Patch (In Remembrance of)

Seriously, I fell asleep earlier to that and I intend to tonight. Also, download some relaxation tapes, like the sound of the ocean ect if you can. I intend to try some tonight if the Radiohead track fails.

I also have sleeping pills as a plan B mind you, but hey. Insomnia sucks when you REALLY need to think. :(
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 11 Aug 2009, 04:53

continuing the musical theme, i find that some nice psychedelic music helps me to go to sleep, Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree really help me to nod off, also these bands sound even more awesome when half asleep, kinda like i expect they sounds when stoned, or high, or in the middle of a trip
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 11 Aug 2009, 05:22

Try listening to a radio play or a book on tape. I reccommend the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy radio series because everyone has fairly soothing voices, also the theme music is a song by The Eagles, the name of which I can't remember, but it's very willowy, billowy music.

masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 11 Aug 2009, 06:30

binaural tones/beats. alpha waves do the trick.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 11 Aug 2009, 07:40

I don't normally have trouble sleeping, but I have had a few exceptions to that. Around 10 years ago or so I found that intentionally putting a repetitive (though not annoying) soundtrack in your head is pretty darn effective.

A simple and short music loop that takes very little effort to keep going and is dull enough to not keep yourself interested though not annoying enough to frustrate you helps quiet your mind of extraneous thoughts and distracts you from stray "itches" or the kind of stuff that might cause you to move your limbs instead of falling asleep, or at least that usually works for me. But then again I haven't really had trouble sleeping in a long time.

I also sleep with a fan on so white noise all the way.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.

Return to “General Discussion”