PS3 Slim

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Echi
First Video: CHustle

PS3 Slim

Postby Echi » 18 Aug 2009, 16:54

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. (if you have, I am very blind.)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10312144-1.html

Sony announces new PS3 Slim console, 33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter, and comes with a 120GB hard drive.

It also comes with a new sparkling pricetag of $299.99.

Thoughts?
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Re: PS3 Slim

Postby Evil Jim » 18 Aug 2009, 17:50

It's something I'll definitely consider when getting a PS3 (hopefully) sometime next year, but that will wait until The Last Guardian is released.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 18 Aug 2009, 17:53

Thoughts?

I will literally buy someone a PS3 Slim if they will give me their 60GB backwards-compatible version. I'm okay with the new price, still not okay with the no-BC. :(
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 18 Aug 2009, 18:05

You can still get a perfectly good PS2 slim for cheap.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 18 Aug 2009, 18:05

Engadget got sent one to review, it has textured matte plastic all around and looks really cheap compared to the original.
I predict overheating problems with the smaller size just like the 360 and PS2 Slim had. The $300 price tag puts buying it into consideration tho.

I don't have much reason to get a PS3 other than Armored Core and Soul Calibur (which are both on the 360 anyways.
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 18 Aug 2009, 18:20

I for one am pretty happy. Not so much about the fact they came out with it. More so because I was considering getting one about a month or so ago (Got a 360 instead) I'd have been pissed if I bought it and the price went down like this.

I do see it as a step in the right direction for Sony as a whole, seeing as everyone I talk to mentions/complains about the original PS3s bulk.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 18 Aug 2009, 18:23

I am still uniterested in anything the PS3 has to offer. I will continue saving my pennies for a 360
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 18 Aug 2009, 20:33

I can finally say MINE'S BIGGER and mean it
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 18 Aug 2009, 21:40

there's just not enough games to make me buy it, but damn it's sexy.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 18 Aug 2009, 21:48

Evil Jim wrote:You can still get a perfectly good PS2 slim for cheap.

Yes, but having the fancy-ass HDTV I have makes PS2 games, when passed through the TV's upscaler, look like dong. Having hooked a PS3 and played PS2 games on it, there is a significant - if not world-changing - difference, and one I like. :(
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 18 Aug 2009, 22:24

My PS2 games played on my PS2 look fine on my fancy-ass plasma TV. Maybe the PS2 games you play are just dong? :P
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 18 Aug 2009, 22:29

Evil Jim wrote:My PS2 games played on my PS2 look fine on my fancy-ass plasma TV. Maybe the PS2 games you play are just dong? :P

No, seriously, it's the upscaler in my TV. It's well-known for being on the Not-Very-Nice-At-All end of the spectrum ("wobulation" DLP projectors are notorious for it for some reason, and I didn't make that word up). Trust me, the amount of effort I've gone to regarding this is embarrassing.

For the record, FF10, FF12, God of War, Katamari Damacy, Odin Sphere and Okami are what I'm talking about. Yes Okami's on the Wii I am well aware thank you.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 18 Aug 2009, 22:31

Since I have a perfectly working PS2 and a rather large backlog of games, this may be something I consider next year.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 18 Aug 2009, 22:40

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier will be on PS2 and PSP instead of the PS3.
Syphon Filter did the same thing.

Is the PS3 that bad that developers rather make games for older consoles and handhelds?
mosespippy
Location: Enemy Base, 33 Health. No wait! Own base, 100 health

Postby mosespippy » 19 Aug 2009, 13:30

Sable wrote:Thoughts?

I will literally buy someone a PS3 Slim if they will give me their 60GB backwards-compatible version. I'm okay with the new price, still not okay with the no-BC. :(
Why would anyone give you a $600 machine in exchange for a $300 one? That's a bit retarded.

I'm considering buying a second one, but I'd get another fat one rather than the slim. The Fat ones are still available till Sept 1st and are at the new $300 price point.

Anyone saying it doesn't have games clearly hasn't looked for games. Uncharted , Ratchet and Clank Future, Resistance 1&2, Warhawk, inFamous, Motorstorm 1&2, GT5P, MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Little Big Planet, Killzone and Folklore are great exclusives. On the Download side of things there is Flower, Pixel Junk Monsters/Eden/Shooter, Rag Doll Kung Fu, Super Stardust HD, Shatter, Flow, bigger games like SOCOM, Warhawk and Burnout Paradise, as well as PS1 games like MGS1, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and FF7. It also plays Blu-Rays. Coming soon are Uncharted 2, MAG, FF Versus XIII, FFXIV, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, GT5, and R&C Future: A Crack in Time.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 19 Aug 2009, 14:12

You seem to lack some very fundamental understanding of the issue. Allow me to explain.

In a hypothetical situation in which someone who owns an old, 60-GB PS3 that still plays PS2 games and is not using that functionality, I am offering to buy that person a brand-new machine with the functionality they do use in exchange for it.

There is no monetary transaction being offered, therefore the issue of the console's original price is meaningless. In the end both parties involved have PS3s of their satisfaction, and in this particular case, I would have a machine that is getting more and more difficult to get fixed or replaced in case of damage, arguably leaving the hypothetical person in better shape than they were before. This is entirely ignoring the "Slim" PS3's "Ooh Shiny" appeal.

I do not care if you find the lack of PS2 BC irrelevant, because I do find it relevant, and it is I who is making the offer.
mosespippy

Postby mosespippy » 19 Aug 2009, 14:30

Well maybe this hypothetical person paid for the features of a PS2, whether or not they use the feature is irrelevant. They have the scarce product, and therefore more valuable product. Its basic Supply and Demand.

Also, it is possible that they don't use the PS2 feature, but do use the install other OS feature, which is not available in the new PS3. So they are giving up more than just a PS2. They are giving up their linux computer as well.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 19 Aug 2009, 14:34

Way to miss the point! You're so good at this.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 19 Aug 2009, 14:58

mosespippy wrote:Well maybe this hypothetical person paid for the features of a PS2, whether or not they use the feature is irrelevant. They have the scarce product, and therefore more valuable product. Its basic Supply and Demand.

Also, it is possible that they don't use the PS2 feature, but do use the install other OS feature, which is not available in the new PS3. So they are giving up more than just a PS2. They are giving up their linux computer as well.

I believe in Sable's hypothetical situation, this person who doesn't exist doesn't use or care about any other features than what the PS3 slim offers, so they're not losing anything by exchanging their PS3 for the PS3 slim.

You can't enter a second hypothetical situation into an already hypothetical one, that's how things like string theory get started!
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 19 Aug 2009, 15:05

Jillers wrote:
mosespippy wrote:Well maybe this hypothetical person paid for the features of a PS2, whether or not they use the feature is irrelevant. They have the scarce product, and therefore more valuable product. Its basic Supply and Demand.

I believe in Sable's hypothetical situation, this person who doesn't exist doesn't use or care about any other features than what the PS3 slim offers, so they're not losing anything by exchanging their PS3 for the PS3 slim.

You can't enter a second hypothetical situation into an already hypothetical one, that's how things like string theory get started!

This was such a hard concept it literally took someone with an adorable cat avatar to understand it!

(Thanks, Jillers! :) )
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 19 Aug 2009, 15:10

Sable wrote:
Jillers wrote:

This was such a hard concept it literally took someone with an adorable cat avatar to understand it!

(Thanks, Jillers! :) )

The kitty makes it easier to understand.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
mosespippy

Postby mosespippy » 19 Aug 2009, 15:27

That doesn't change the economics of the situation. There are (essentially) infinite customers with infinite PS3 slims and a limited number of PS3s with PS2 features. Therefore the PS2 feature PS3 is scarce and more valuable. The user giving up this added value would be giving up something for nothing, which is retarded.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 19 Aug 2009, 15:33

mosespippy wrote:That doesn't change the economics of the situation. There are (essentially) infinite customers with infinite PS3 slims and a limited number of PS3s with PS2 features. Therefore the PS2 feature PS3 is scarce and more valuable. The user giving up this added value would be giving up something for nothing, which is retarded.

You're assuming the monetary value means something in Sable's hypothetic situation. It doesn't.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
mosespippy

Postby mosespippy » 19 Aug 2009, 15:43

Right, because humans think in terms of value and money. This hypothetical person with a PS3 could trade it to Sable for a slim, but he's more likely to sell it for more than what a slim is worth, because the economics says that his PS3 has more value than a slim PS3. Therefore he would find a buyer paying more than what Sable is offering.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 19 Aug 2009, 15:45

I miss the time when people didn't take hypothetical situations so seriously.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~

Return to “General Discussion”