Manga

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Zhyard

Manga

Postby Zhyard » 23 Aug 2009, 16:08

I tried starting a podcast thread without realizing there already was one. But this time I did my research!

In this thread I want you to post manga you've read or are following and maybe say if there's some in particular you recommend.

As I'm going through all the manga I've read I'm going to note down how many chapters each of them are, mostly for self reference.

Akumetsu - 124
Alive: The final evolution - 66
Alive! - 10
Angel Densetsu - 84
Beelzebub - 24
Berserk - 306
Bleach - 370
Bremen - 82
Claymore - 94
Code Breaker - 55
Death Note - 110
Defence Devil - 17
Devilman - (5 vol.)
Dragon Ball - 519
Drifters - 4
Fist of the North Star - 41
Franken Fran - 23
Gantz - 303
Grappler Baki - 8
_New Grappler Baki - 276
_Baki: Son of Ogre - 130
Gyo - 19
Hellsing - 95
_Hellsing: The Dawn - 6
Highschool of the Dead - 23
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - 349
Holyland - 52
Hunter X Hunter - 290
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (up to Stone Ocean) - 594
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - 254
Kekkaishi - 271
Love Hina - 123
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - 24
Mahou Sensei Negima! - 261
_Negima!? Neo - 29
Medaka Box - 15
Midori Days - 85
MiXiM - 62
Moyashimon - 11
MxO - 99
Mysterious Girlfriend X - 36
Naruto - 460
Neon Geneasis Evangelion - 79
Onidere - 51 (added in edit)
Parasyte - 64
Pretty Face - 52
Psychic Academy - (11 vol.)
Psyren - 82
Ranma ½ - 404
Riki-Oh - 75
Suicide Island - 5
Super-Dreadnought Girl 4946 - 5
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - 14
The World Only God Knows - 70
Ultra Red - 34
Uzumaki - 19
Veritas - 48
Yakuza Girl - 11
Zetman - 111

Total: 6928 chapters (+ Devil Man(no chapters) and Psychic Academy(couldn't find))

These are the ones I could think of right now. Will probably remember some other ones later.

Now for recommendations. Most of the manga on that list are actually manga I would recommend but I'll pick those extra good ones. I'll begin with those you probably know and/or doesn't need any more explanation.

Dragon Ball
Men fighting. Lot's of energy balls. Great story.

Bleach
Dead people fighting with swords larger than them self...

Naruto
Ninjas who fight enemies head on...

Death Note
Guy finds book and kills people with it. Really well written.

Hellsing
Vampires and zombies fighting. What more could you want?

Love Hina
Harem!

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
Guys with gigantic muscles fighting other guys with gigantic muscles. Contains vampires and later other supernatural stuff.

Now for the less known stuff that I REALLY recommend.

Akumetsu
Shou, a high-school student who decides become Akumetsu (destroyer of evil) and take it into his own hands to end the life of all the corrupt who have driven Japans economy into the ground. It's more to it but I don't want to spoil it. Read the 3 first chapters to get into the story. It's sci-fi and it kind of reminds me of Death Note but with a lot more likable main character. Still being scanlated but the original is complete. Really like the way it's drawn.

Parasyte (Kiseiju)
Small worm like aliens rain down on earth and take over humans by fusing with their heads (which they also can transform anyway they want), blend into society and eat non-infected humans. One of these aliens accidentally fuses with Shinji(once again, a student)'s hand. The other aliens see Migi (means right, a name the alien took after fusing with Shinjis right hand) as a failure which they want to fix (see destroy) so Shinji and Migi end up cooperating to survive. Well written, drawn and relatively short.

Kekkaishi
Yoshimori and his neighbor Tokine are kekkaishi. A klan of ability users who can create solid cube shaped barriers that can shrink to nothing instantly to obliterate anything within it. They use this to protect the holy ground Karasumori which attracts ayakashi (traditional Japanese demons) and strengthens them. Upon Karasumori stands a school which both Yoshimori and Tokine goes to. One of my favorites. Still being made.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenishi
Kenichi is the weak kid who ends up as the disciple under some of the strongest martial artists masters on the planet. They teach him karate, muay thai, chinese kenpo and jujutsu. It's hard to summarize the plot but if you like fighting, humor and lots of fanservice this is the manga for you. As you read it it's nice to see the development of Kenichi as he becomes stronger. It's still being made.

I've now been writing this for 3½ hours. I would like to write a bit more but the clock is 1:34 AM so the next few ones I will do quick.

The World Only God Knows
A guy who's kind of the self proclaimed god of dating sims ends up in a contract with a cute devil girl to collect escaped souls from hell that hide in girls hearts. How do they do this? By making the girls fall in love with him of course! Sounds stupid, is rather funny. Ongoing.

Mahou Sensei Negima
10 year old wizard have to become the teacher of a class of 14 year old girls(who most look like they are 18-25) to become a master mage. From the creator of Love Hina. It starts out as kind of just a harem manga but as it goes on it gets focused more and more on fighting. One of my favorites. Ongoing.

Gantz
Kei and an old friend dies and they are transfered to a room with other people who just died and a large black ball called Gantz. Gantz tells them to kill an alien and teleports them back into the city. Gory sci-fi. Ongoing.

Hunter X Hunter
Kid lives in fantasy land. He is strong wants to become a hunter, a kind of mercenary, like his father who he doesn't know where he is, is. It starts with him traveling to take the test to become one. From the creator of Yuu Yuu Hakusho. Fucking awesome. Ongoing.

Psychic Academy
After an event some years ago people with psychic power are becoming rather common. We follow the main character as he goes to school to harness his power.

Well, it took me 4 hours so I hope someone decides to read of my recommendations. To read manga online for free, go to http://www.onemanga.com. Enjoy.
Last edited by Zhyard on 24 Aug 2009, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: Manga

Postby theDreamer » 23 Aug 2009, 16:16

Some of these I may try, mostly just the shorter ones.

Also, I've read the beginning to mid of Kekkashi.

Finally, I LOVE Shaman King, and it is the only manga that I've read to completion.

Other awesome ones include Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles, and Full Metal Alchemist, neither of which are done, and both I love.

I've seen more anime then I've read full manga...But I used to up to date on naruto, then kind of gave up...
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 23 Aug 2009, 16:23

Words cannot describe how awesome Death Note is.
I didn't get to read the entire series because my friends didn't have them all but i have watched every episode of the anime.

I tried to read Naruto but I didn't like it that much.

My friends say Bleach is great i might read that next.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 23 Aug 2009, 16:25

Oh, funny story about death note:

I start watching it. I'm talking to my friend about it and he's all

"Did you get to the part where *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*?"

And then I stopped watching.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 23 Aug 2009, 17:00

It is pretty hard to talk about it without spoiling anything.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 23 Aug 2009, 18:01

This is why I'm glad nobody spoiled Death Note for me. Friggin' morons.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 23 Aug 2009, 18:07

I have no interest in completing it.

I get all the jokes now, and the references and what not, but I doubt I will ever see all of it.

Just so you know, he asked if I knew if

SPOILER!

L was dead yet.
iEatNinjaZ

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 23 Aug 2009, 19:21

Well its pretty obvious he was going to die, besides the story continues on from there.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 23 Aug 2009, 19:41

No, see, I had JUST FALLEN IN LOVE with him, and apparently I was three episodes away from that point, and completely oblivious to all jokes about his replacement, and then BOOM.

For all I know, I'd have been so pissed by that decision I'd have stopped watching anyways. The best part was the back and forth between him and Light.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 23 Aug 2009, 20:41

You all

need

to read BLAME! and everything else by Tsutomu Nihei. So far only BLAME! and No!se are available translated in english by TokyoPop, but all of his other works have been fanslated and include (just to name a lot)

Abara
Abba
Biomega
Blame Academy
BLAME! and so on (artbook)
Blame!2
Breaking Quarantine (a segment of the Halo graphic novel
Cynodia
Dead Heads
Digimortal
Negative Corridor
Net Sphere Engineer
NO!SE
Numa No Kami
Sabrina
Snikt! (Nihei's take on the Wolverine frandchise)
Winged Armour Suzumega
Zeb-Noid
iEatNinjaZ

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 23 Aug 2009, 21:05

theDreamer wrote:No, see, I had JUST FALLEN IN LOVE with him, and apparently I was three episodes away from that point, and completely oblivious to all jokes about his replacement, and then BOOM.

For all I know, I'd have been so pissed by that decision I'd have stopped watching anyways. The best part was the back and forth between him and Light.

Damn that sucks, the show sucked pretty bad after he died anyways.
I wish I would have stopped at his death.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 23 Aug 2009, 21:29

Full Metal Alchemist is pretty much the only one I read regularly at the moment. Though I've been meaning to check out Monster and Trigun, and I finished Death Note.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 23 Aug 2009, 23:10

Monster is amazing. I have the series on VCD but I don't want to watch it by myself... it's a bit creepy. I did read a handful of the manga volumes too, but I didn't get to finish the series. It was good in its own right, but apparently the plots do diverge at some point.

I have read Bleach twice online and once for like 17 vols. in hardcopy. It got all srs bsns though... no fun anymore, just endless fight scenes. I am considering watching the anime so that I can see Gin beat people up. Yeah, I don't know, at some point I took a liking to that creepy bastard. But Kenpachi is still my favorite Bleach dude.

I recommend Loveless, even though there's less pwning and virtually no tits. It's convoluted and a bit disturbing and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is what you think it is. I fuckin love it. Even if the main character is a catboy... Hey, I can overlook that, it's still fucking awesome.

ALSO LISTEN TO THE ALEX HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH - BLAME WILL CURE ALL OF YOUR MEDICAL PROBLEMS AND ALSO BAKE YOU PIES

pie may or may not be a figment of Jones' imagination. CAVEAT EMPTOR, BITCHES

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Aug 2009, 23:22

I pretty much only read manga that I buy which is not often.

But I've got:
One Piece #1-2
Hellsing #4
The Ring #2
Battle Royale #1-#15 (Complete series)
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 24 Aug 2009, 00:15

I tend to only read a few series here and there. The main one that I follow is Battle Angel Alita (known as Gunnm in Japan). I use to read Trigun, but I gave them all to my younger brother.
Preist is another favorite of mine, shame it hasn't had a new issue for like 2 years.
I own all of the Suikoden III Manga and it's honestly better then the game.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 24 Aug 2009, 15:35

I haven't read a lot of Manga - I used to read it more back in the day (college) when my friend would buy them, and I would read them. This list includes desriptions of mangas I read (or bagan to read) whose names I have forgotten

Battle Royale
(some) Naruto
- A 3 or 4 volume manga, with a yellow cover, about the prince of hell protecting a human girl -
- some of a girl who get transported to ancient egypt -
Love Hina
Chobits
Macbeth (Bleh, I don't think Shakespeare translates well to manga, or really any comic format)
Paradise Kiss
- One of a girl who was writing the lyrics for a rock star -
Mars
- a boy dancer becomes a "pet" for this female executive -

If you know any of the titles of the ones I can only vaguely describe, that would be amazing, since I mostly havne't finished reading them, and would desperately like to!

..Uh... I know I've read more, but I can't really remember them. I have the same problem getting into manga that I do with regular comics - too many of them!
Last edited by Jillers on 24 Aug 2009, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
ChiUnit4evr
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby ChiUnit4evr » 24 Aug 2009, 15:42

Parasyte is amazing old school stuff. I love the series. And even though its supposed to be a "horror" manga, it still manages to be hilariously funny.

I'm also currently reading:

Negima!

Yotsuba&

Naruto

Fullmetal Alchemist

I've read:
Chobits
Samurai Deeper Kyo (It got stupid)
Ranma 1/2 (Switched over to the anime around vol 12)
Uzumaki. Its a crazy horror manga...great stuff. gives you nightmares.

Random stuff I read in the bookstores (But don't buy)
Hana Kimi (Girly stuff, but still pretty funny)
I's
Anachronism
Ret-con'd: Incorrect

Postby Anachronism » 24 Aug 2009, 17:02

Since it hasn't yet been mentioned:

Pluto by Naoki Urusawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Master Keaton)

If you enjoy manga or if you're a new reader, I highly recommend this work.
To LRR is human.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 24 Aug 2009, 20:54

Only manga I'm reading ATM is Negima!.

I highly recommend it (currently @ 250+ chapters).
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 24 Aug 2009, 20:55

Speaking of assholes who spoil Death Note.

I don't know if anyone here attended Anime Next this year (I didn't, I just saw a lot of YouTube stuff), but apparently the stupid MC for the Masquerade went ahead and spoiled it for the entirely audience, just... For no reason. A Death Note skit had just finished and it just popped into her mind to do it. I forget her name, but the whole time she was trying to do this whole Engrish thing which I guess she thought would be funny, but it ended up just coming off incredibly racist. After that, I'm surprised they didn't chase her off the stage. I mean, at least when you're talking to someone about it and they spoil it, they usually apologize and say that they thought you'd seen that part already, but she did it for no other reason I can figure but to be spiteful. I guess because she was getting on people's nears and they wanted her to leave.

Either way, I wouldn't expect her to be making an appearance next year.

But on-topic. I don't read a whole lot of manga online - between chronic migraines and poor eyesight, it's too hard on me, and the only manga I own is mostly just various yaoi and slashable manga.

- Alcohol, Shirt & Kiss (I've had this for like... a year and haven't read it yet.)
- FLCL 1
- Gakuen Heaven (Much better than the anime, though that was still pretty good)
- Gravitation 1 (Better than the anime if only because the anime leaves scenes out)
- Gravitation EX 1 (If they don't finish this series, I'm going to go right off my head)
- Junjou Romantica 1-3 (<333!)
- Loveless 1-2
- Man's Best Friend (Pretty damn cute)
- Ouran High School Host Club 1-4
- Gravitation (Novel)
- Gravitation: Voice of Temptation (2nd Novel)
- Only the Ring Finger Knows 1-3 (Novels)

The only two manga I can remember reading online were:

- Mukizu ja Irarenee
- Kami-sama no Ude on Naka de

Don't look either of those things up, or don't blame me if you do.

I know even before I say this that it's totally pathetic, but those two Gravi novels and the three OTRFK novels? The only five novels I've ever completely read. I guess that explains why I never had an answer all those years in school when teachers would ask me what kinds of things I liked to read. Couldn't legally buy them yet.
Zhyard

Postby Zhyard » 24 Aug 2009, 21:37

ChiUnit4evr wrote:Parasyte is amazing old school stuff. I love the series. And even though its supposed to be a "horror" manga, it still manages to be hilariously funny.

Yes! A fellow fan. I to wouldn't really classify it as horror. It's more action if anything. I really loved the interaction between Migi and Shinji.

I've seen several of you mention Battle Royal. Battle Royal as in the movie with the same title or is it something completely different? I don't know why I bother to ask this question, by the time I get an answer I've probably looked it up... EDIT: Indeed.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 24 Aug 2009, 23:04

I'm going to have to say Fist of the North Star. Most other manga are terrible, terrible things. Same with anime, but there are a few more anime that I can stand than there are manga.
Zhyard

Postby Zhyard » 25 Aug 2009, 00:18

Nevrmore wrote:I'm going to have to say Fist of the North Star. Most other manga are terrible, terrible things. Same with anime, but there are a few more anime that I can stand than there are manga.

Dear sir. GTFO!
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Postby MarkVI » 29 Aug 2009, 13:57

GTO is awesome.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 29 Aug 2009, 14:03

I've only read Love Hina, I'm cool.