On the subject of Yard Sales

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Deadpool
First Video: Crime and Punishment (And Unskippable)

On the subject of Yard Sales

Postby Deadpool » 23 Aug 2009, 20:22

This is further proof that even though most of the stuff you find is crap, they are still worth going to. These are just some of the finds I got:

A bag full of random tabletop dice, around 50 total = 2 dollars

Somewhat used 3rd edition D&D Players Handbook and DM's Guide plus a few WarHammer Erratas = 3 dollars

Boxes of random 100 Magic the Gathering cards, no lands = 1 dollar each.

WWII era army coat and trench coat, great condition = 1 dollar each.

And I live in a small town in the middle of Michigan, Has anyone else had a great find at a yard/garage/flea market sale?

Never underestimate the power of Human Stupidity. For if you do know this, while your patience may be limited, their idiocy know no bounds.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: On the subject of Yard Sales

Postby theDreamer » 23 Aug 2009, 20:25

I am so envious, especially of those coats.

I've never found anything awesome, but have you heard the story about two college kids buying a piece of abstract artwork for a buck with the intent to throw darts at it, then finding out its a Jackson Pollock worth millions?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 23 Aug 2009, 20:41

Not really a yard sale but at Goodwill, I found a SNES with two controllers, a/v cables, Super Mario World, Super Mario Allstars, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, and yoshi's safara(a light gun game, so its essentially useless). Anyway, all of that was only 20$ and it works great, well after I bought a power supply for it around 5 dollars.

Also, my brother found this sweet trench coat for 10 bucks.
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 23 Aug 2009, 21:32

I've found some great stuff lying around in the street and such. No, I'm not going to tell you what.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Aug 2009, 22:15

NERF Splitfire, came free with some other newer guns (I purchased the lot of 4 for $12). Sold it for $60 American, plus the guy paid shipping to the States. There's a surprisingly large NERF collection/modification community online (check out nerfhaven.com).

Also note; if you have old (pre-2000) NERF guns, they may be worth money. Completely stock Crossbows (the purple ones that shoot foam arrows) can sell for up to $200, easy.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Aug 2009, 22:18

When I moved into my new house this spring I found a NES in the shed out back along with a Track & Field pad, Zapper, Controllers & half a dozen games.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 23 Aug 2009, 22:21

i haven't been hunting for a long time. i used to go weekly and have found many, many games and records. nothing especially rare or valuable, but treasures to me. nice work on your haul. seriously, they are some awesome bargains.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 23 Aug 2009, 23:01

When I was young I bought a ton of Pokemon episodes on VHS, every time i went to a yard sale i bought a few tapes and some pokemon cards.
Ah childhood...
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 23 Aug 2009, 23:59

Earthbound. 5 bucks. I squealed like a girl.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 24 Aug 2009, 00:06

Fuzzyfreaker wrote:Earthbound. 5 bucks. I squealed like a girl.

Mine cost $80 and had to be shipped across the country.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 24 Aug 2009, 01:19

I found a whole bunch of 64 games for dirt cheap. I was so giddy that day. I bought what I could then as I got to the car the kid started to ask where his games went.

I was stuck in a moral dilemma, I weighed both options carefully and came to a resolution that involved making car go fast
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 24 Aug 2009, 05:37

I once found a few coppies of FF1 for NES at a flea market for $5 each. I bought 2 copies.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 24 Aug 2009, 06:43

I used to love garage/car boot sales. Picking up old Cds and videos and stuff... but since my saturdays are now dominated by a saturday job, I've not been able to go to any for quite some time. Sad.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 24 Aug 2009, 06:56

i often get car boot sales and dogging mixed up...
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 24 Aug 2009, 14:29

Ah ha! I just had a wonderful find today. A local used bookstore had a copy of National Geographic from August of 1930. I have been searching of this for nearly 10 years because I learned H.P. Lovecraft had this issue in his library & used it as research while writing "At the Mountains of Madness." Today, score! And for only a dollar.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 Aug 2009, 21:41

That metal katana we use in videos?
$5

I've found some sweet shit at sales.
Kag

Postby Kag » 24 Aug 2009, 21:55

theDreamer wrote:I've never found anything awesome, but have you heard the story about two college kids buying a piece of abstract artwork for a buck with the intent to throw darts at it, then finding out its a Jackson Pollock worth millions?

Not quite the same story, but you get the idea.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 25 Aug 2009, 07:44

I haven't been to a garage sale in years, but when I did, I used to buy up old Star Wars toys for cents on the dollar. Cheap way of getting collectibles, even if they're heavily used.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 25 Aug 2009, 15:23

Evil Jim wrote:When I moved into my new house this spring I found a NES in the shed out back along with a Track & Field pad, Zapper, Controllers & half a dozen games.

In the shed... behind your house... that is amazing, just plan and simple amazing. Great find!
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
Dangerfield Newby

Postby Dangerfield Newby » 26 Aug 2009, 05:36

I found a... nope, but I did get a... nothing. Why do you guys get all the good neighbors?
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 26 Aug 2009, 05:56

6ft speakers plus entertainment center 50. Usb extender 2bucks. I prefer second hand stores brtter than yard sales
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!

Return to “General Discussion”