Pet Peeves

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 25 Aug 2009, 08:19

They're not light sockets, just plug sockets. Mains input. A place where you put a plug in to make electrickery
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 25 Aug 2009, 08:28

Or, yeah. That. That thing. I knew what I was trying to say, but I didn't manage to say it.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 25 Aug 2009, 08:54

People that complain about things but have no intention to change.
For example.

Other person:
Oh, I'm always late all the time. blah blah blah, This happened to me because I was late Blah blah blah

Me: That sucks, you could always change the time on your clocks to be about 10 minutes fast. Something I do because I used to always be late was to write down the important things I needed to be at 15 minutes earlier in my date planner. I didn't do it for everything but for most things so I couldn't just assume that particular appointment was written in my book early. You could also manage your time better yadda yadda yadda......

Other person: Those are great ideas. I am totally going to try some of them.

One week later -

Other person: Oh, I'm always late all the time. blah blah blah, This happened to me because I was late Blah blah blah

Me: Did you try any of those things I mentioned before?

Other person: No. I'm always so late woe is me.

-------------------------------------------------------

I hate it even worse when it is something that effects the health or wellbeing of their child of of being a parent.

Other person: I can't get my kid to ___Insert_ANYTHING_____. Woe is me as a parent because it is so tough my kid won't _____________.
Example: Listen, clean up, nap, sleep, eat, stop throwing, stop hitting, throwing tempers, ANYTHING KIDS DO THAT NEEDS TO BE STOPPED FOR THE PARENTS SANITY

Me: You just have to take control of the situation and make the kid do it. It will be tough for about a week or two but afterwards your life will be better for it. I will help you and support you in doing this too. Remember to tell your family and friends that you are doing this too so that they can also be strong and get him/her to do whatever is needed.

Other person: Yes, that would be great. I know it will be hard but I will do it. Thanks

Then next time I see the other person they haven't tried to stop their kid from doing whatever it is that needs to have been done from the beginning and the parent is still grumpy and frustrated about it.

-------------------------------------------------------

People that say no to their kids but then give in because they asked over and over again. Or say to stop doing something but then never act like a parent when the situation escalates.

There are only a few moms I know that are like this and it really pisses me off.

---------------------------------------------------------

People that read fictions books and think that it makes them smarter for it.
I mean this as opposed to reading the same number of non-fiction books.
If you're reading you should be learning something! Not that all fiction books are crap. They are fun, but it's not bettering yourself at all.
----------------------------------------------------------

People that can't take a course in something because they already know everything. I.e I was going to take a parenting course and I invited a friend of mine to come along and she got offended. Told me that she doesn't need a course like that. Well I think I'm a pretty good parent and I was going to better myself. She did not want to better herself because she thought she was an expert. Great.... that's smart.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 25 Aug 2009, 09:03

People who make long lists? :)
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 25 Aug 2009, 09:14

boo
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 25 Aug 2009, 09:21

Theremin wrote:People who make long lists? :)

Smart Arses? haha
Nothing to see here.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 25 Aug 2009, 09:33

People who act like they know everything
People who get involved in other peoples businesses
People who don't like Windows because it crashes (idiots)
Unclean places
Bugs where there should be no bugs
People who gloat about the hats they have on TF2
And more that I can't think of right now...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 25 Aug 2009, 09:39

Machalllewis wrote:
Theremin wrote:People who make long lists? :)

Smart Arses? haha

Sarcasm... my only weakness
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Aug 2009, 10:25

As an aside something that I do not understand rather than something that annoys me. How come there are so many different types of electrical plugs especially in Europe?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 25 Aug 2009, 10:27

Because our electricity forms national bias? No idea, it's something to do with the varying degrees of eu regulations.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 25 Aug 2009, 10:50

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:Because our electricity forms national bias? No idea, it's something to do with the varying degrees of eu regulations.

No, it's you damn brits. You insist doing things the wrong way, you drive on the wrong side of the road, use pounds instead of euros, upkeep monarchy and use the wrong damn plugs! You're one annoying bunch of peeves.

To be serious, it's most likely because there's of no Eu regulations at all. Changing the plugs of four different nations would be too costly anyway so the old standards before the Eu stuck.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 25 Aug 2009, 11:02

Annchan wrote:People that read fictions books and think that it makes them smarter for it.
If you're reading you should be learning something! Not that all fiction books are crap. They are fun, but it's not bettering yourself at all.

LOL WAT

I don't think I get what you're trying to say here. As far as I'm concerned, reading anything equals betterment of oneself, if only in terms of vocabulary and new ideas. I resent the idea that I learn nothing from fiction, or that nonfiction works have more inherent value.

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 25 Aug 2009, 11:14

Interruptor Jones wrote:
Annchan wrote:People that read fictions books and think that it makes them smarter for it.

LOL WAT

I don't think I get what you're trying to say here. As far as I'm concerned, reading anything equals betterment of oneself, if only in terms of vocabulary and new ideas. I resent the idea that I learn nothing from fiction, or that nonfiction works have more inherent value.

QFT. I read non-fiction and fiction books alike. I learn just as much from fiction books. Not just vocabulary either. Example in point, I learned the majority of my basics in nuclear engineering from watching Stargate SG1. Sure, I could have picked up a text on the subject, but it wouldnt' have been near as interesting. I have also learned a great deal about the interworkings of the American Legal system by reading murder mysteries (in particular, a series based around a main character that is a homicide detective.) If one has a thirst for knowledge, they pick up tidbits from everything they encounter.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 25 Aug 2009, 11:30

Okay, maybe I have to reiterate. In specific I am talking about a particular person that reads fantasy novels all the time. I'm talking about a book a day here, but would never pick up a non fiction book or do any kind of research but still thinks she knows everything on anything.

In terms of actually learning things from fiction, some fiction does have some truth to it but the nuclear engineering from Stargate is probably not real. The American Legal system in murder mysteries is not going to be true to life. That's like saying you know all about how to catch criminals from watching a lot of CSI or know everything about childcare because you read the babysitters club series. Sure, some of what you read and see are true, but most of it is made up for entertainment. If you think that stuff is even 75% real you are only harming yourself and when you go to talk to someone that actually knows something about the subject you are going to look like an idiot. Like I said, not all fiction books are bad, but you need to get some real educated books in there too.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 25 Aug 2009, 12:28

I am an engineer working in the nuclear world. I have taken and passed nuclear engineering Master's level classes. The BASICS of the nuclear engineering (and quantum mechanics) in Stargate is true to life. They just took some creative liberties with the properties of "alien" materials.

If I said more, I'd have to kill you. :wink:
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 25 Aug 2009, 12:58

I hate when them mofuckin snakes get on my mofuckin plane.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 25 Aug 2009, 13:01

My biggest pet peeves are to do with language and grammar; most notably the use of "your" in place of "you're", "their" in place of "there" (and vice versa), and incorrect usage of "I" and "me". Also the American phrase, "I could care less".
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 25 Aug 2009, 13:18

Lawman wrote:My biggest pet peeves are to do with language and grammar; most notably the use of "your" in place of "you're", "their" in place of "there" (and vice versa), and incorrect usage of "I" and "me". Also the American phrase, "I could care less".

I usually say "I couldn't care less" does this make that better?

As for my pet peeves, I absolutely hate it when people drag their feet. I mean really PICK UP YOUR DAMN FEET!!
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 25 Aug 2009, 14:14

"I could care less." bothers me too. "I couldn't care less." makes me happy!
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 25 Aug 2009, 18:21

Oh, I just thought of one.

People who skip to the next song when there is still :15 left on the one you were listening to. For every single song.
Shea

Postby Shea » 25 Aug 2009, 18:26

My nephew. My brother. All 15 of my Mom's dogs. Clients who can't be trusted. Frontier.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 25 Aug 2009, 18:52

Spitting.

Just...no.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 26 Aug 2009, 04:47

Echi wrote:Spitting.

Just...no.

QFT!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 26 Aug 2009, 05:08

Spatial Coffee wrote:No, it's you damn brits. You insist doing things the wrong way, you drive on the wrong side of the road, use pounds instead of euros, upkeep monarchy and use the wrong damn plugs! You're one annoying bunch of peeves.

To be serious, it's most likely because there's of no Eu regulations at all. Changing the plugs of four different nations would be too costly anyway so the old standards before the Eu stuck.

alternative: everyone else is doing it wrong. we drive on the correct side of the road, everyone should use pound sterling and 3 bit plugs. and we should all have constitutional monarchies who are completely powerless and a waste of resources (no not really)

my pet peeves:
people who think their culture is superior to everyone else
hypocrisy
People who are too oblivious to self-analyse
people who make joke posts on a serious thread to try to make themselves look clever.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
amaterasuwolf

Postby amaterasuwolf » 26 Aug 2009, 07:29

loud eating, chewing with mouth open, nose whistling, stomping excused as walking, people who think that gay is a synonym for stupid, socks falling down past your heel and you can't fix it, wet socks, stepping onto a cold floor with bare feet in the morning, completely ignorant people who could be in places of high authority *cough*palin*cough cough*, among others...

Return to “General Discussion”