Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... book 6?!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... book 6?!

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 27 Aug 2009, 13:48

If the late, great Douglas Adams taught us anything, it would have been to embrace the unexpected, but this is right out of left field...
Taken from Guardian.co.uk
Douglas Adams's increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy is to be extended to six titles, after Adams's widow Jane Belson sanctioned a project which will see children's author Eoin Colfer taking up the story.

And Another Thing… by Colfer, whose involvement with the project was personally requested by Belson, will be published next October by Penguin. No information has yet emerged about the plot of the novel but Hitchhiker fans will be hoping for a resurrection of much-loved characters Arthur Dent, Trillian and Ford Prefect, who were all apparently blown to smithereens at the end of the fifth novel, Mostly Harmless.

Adams himself had plans for a sixth Hitchhiker book, saying in an interview: "People have said, quite rightly, that Mostly Harmless is a very bleak book. And it was a bleak book. I would love to finish Hitchhiker on a slightly more upbeat note, so five seems to be a wrong kind of number, six is a better kind of number."

But his death in 2001, aged 49, meant the book was never written, and "legions of Hitchhiker fans were left with their hearts beating a little too quickly for all eternity," said Colfer, author of the bestselling Artemis Fowl series for children.

The proposal from the literary agency which manages Adams's estate was "quite out of the blue", said Penguin marketing and publicity director Joanna Prior. "It was something I guess [Jane Belson] had been mulling over for some time, and we jumped the minute we got the call – we could immediately see what a fantastic project this would be."

Colfer, who has been a fan of Hitchhiker since his schooldays, said being given the opportunity to continue the series was "like suddenly being offered the superpower of your choice". "For years I have been finishing this incredible story in my head and now I have the opportunity to do it in the real world," he added. "It is a gift from the gods. So, thank you Thor and Odin."

The book will "make no claims for Eoin being Douglas", according to Prior. "It's not Eoin Colfer writing as Douglas Adams, as was the case with Sebastian Faulks," she said, pointing to Penguin's successful publication of Faulks's new James Bond novel Devil May Care earlier this year. "It's absolutely about him being himself – Eoin the author, but with the cast of Hitchhiker."

Colfer himself is currently grappling with nerves over the quality of his addition to Adams' oeuvre. "I feel more pressure to perform now than I ever have with my own books, and that is why I am bloody determined that this will be the best thing I have ever written," he said. "For the first time in decades I feel the uncertainty that I last felt in my teenage years. There are people out there that really want to like this book."

Penguin hopes that Belson's choice of Colfer will bring a new generation of readers to Adams's work. "It's always a challenge when we haven't got Douglas any more – how can we introduce his writing to the next generation?" asked Prior. "There's a huge fan base out there, but this is a really exciting way of creating a new legacy."

Belson said the project had her full support. "I am delighted that Eoin Colfer has agreed to continue the Hitchhiker series. I love his books and could not think of a better person to transport Arthur, Zaphod and Marvin to pastures new," she added.

Approximately 16m copies of Hitchhiker books have been sold worldwide, according to Penguin. The "trilogy in five parts", which started with radio series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in 1978 and was completed with The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; Life, The Universe and Everything; So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish; and Mostly Harmless, has been translated into 35 languages.

So.... bizarre or what? Definately not Somebody Else's Problem. I love Douglas Adams' books, so I will probably end up buying this ultimate piece of fanfiction when it's released, regardless. Opinions?
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
CBA

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... book 6?!

Postby CBA » 27 Aug 2009, 14:01

Hmm, that's very interesting. Dunno if I'll give it a read though. Colfer better do this book right, and seeing as he's been a big fan, he seems like an okay choice.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 27 Aug 2009, 14:01

I heard about this a couple weeks ago. But I don't mind that someone else is working within the series, but its kind of wierd. I don't think a 6th book is really needed, but it's happening, so I guess we'll just have to see.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 27 Aug 2009, 14:06

Is it weird that I thought he died in the past two years?
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 27 Aug 2009, 14:08

I'll probably buy it. Or borrow it from someone who has.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Aug 2009, 14:13

I first heard about this a year or so ago. I'm a little more open to the idea now than I was then, after giving it some though. But like many people, I will not be considering this part of the "core" H2G2 series by any means.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 27 Aug 2009, 14:42

I remember reading something about it ages ago... right here in fact! But that can't be helped, it was too long ago also, I might just buy it, hoping that it'll be decent.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 27 Aug 2009, 14:49

Anything involving Marvin can only be welcomed.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Aug 2009, 16:57

I thought Marvin died shortly after seeing God's last message to his creation.

I love the Hitchhiker triology, & by "trilogy" I mean the first three books. After that I feel the story goes downhill & indeed, becomes quite bleak. I'll definitely read the new book, especially if it promises to be a little more upbeat, but I still can't help but to see it as published fanfiction.

Can anyone recommend the two books that have been published since Adam's death? Salmon of Doubt & the other one?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 27 Aug 2009, 17:37

I wouldn't have expected Colfer to do it. His style is not the same kind of humour...Terry Pratchett or Tom Holt is more the same vein of writing...

I can recommend Salmon of Doubt. Strongly.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Aug 2009, 18:38

Pratchett doing this would be something I suspect more people could get behind.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 27 Aug 2009, 19:24

I'm curious, that's for sure. I'll probably wait to see what others say after it's published, though.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 27 Aug 2009, 20:21

I have doubts about the potential quality of a Hitchhiker's guide book written by not-Douglas Adams.

Why don't people try writing original content instead of rehashing, sequeling or grave robbing?

Still, I guess I can't knock it till I've read it.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 28 Aug 2009, 00:33

there were definitely posts abuot this on this site foreves ago.

I <3 this series, and will probably read this when its done.
Alina

Postby Alina » 28 Aug 2009, 00:40

I'm feeling pretty optimistic, I like Colfer. I think he is actually a better choice than someone like Pratchett, since Pratchett's style is sort of... too close to that of Douglas Adams, while still being different. I don't know if that makes any sense, but still. Looking forward to this.
No one had had the slightest desire to learn the language of the boghogs for the simple reason that these creatures communicated by biting each other very hard on the thigh. -Douglas Adams
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 28 Aug 2009, 01:16

I can reccommend Holistic dtective agency, am reading it at the moment and I'm finding it hilarious.

I think this'll be kind of a spin-off, but I'm not going to rant about it or protest. It'll be fun, I think, even if it does kind of fly in the face of the reason the Mostly Harmless was so bleak. It was supposed to be the absolute final end. But yeah, as long as it doesn't contain Ford/Arthur slash, it's better than most H2G2 fanfiction.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 28 Aug 2009, 02:00

Dirk Gently is pretty good. Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul is good as well.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 28 Aug 2009, 03:07

Has anyone read The Salmon of Doubt? It's got a load of short stories and essays, and the first few chapters of what was to be the next Dirk Gently book. Which is awesome. I'd rather read that than another Hitchhiker book (I have no problem with bleakness, and I liked the end of the series), but I suspect that anyone else trying to take over from where he left off would just screw it up.

Author-wise, I would've said that Tom Holt's probably the writer most capable of writing sufficiently like Douglas Adams, but only when he's at his very best. Books like You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But It Helps are right up there, but some of the earlier ones are less tightly written.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Aug 2009, 03:25

Oddly enough my only experience with HGttG is the old and new movies, but I am gleefully aware of all the comedy before and within them. An old D&D player of mine despised the new movie with all the hatred of sin, but I personally thought it was fine as long as you didn't think of it as an adaptation (Kinda like I, Robot) but more the spawn of inspiration.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 28 Aug 2009, 03:26

Of what I've read of Tom Holt (admittedly that's only "Valhalla", "Sonw White and the Seven Samurai" and the one about the water dragons, the name of which escapes me) he does seem more like Douglas Adams' style than what I remember of Eoin Colfer. The last I read from him was the first book of the series after Artemis Fowl when I was 14, and I distinctly remember feeling that I'd outgrown it. Colfer seems a bit of a Douglas Adams for kids, in my opinion.

I picked up Holistic Detective Agency and Salmon of Doubt in a charity shop and I'm reading my way through them. Also, in Douglas Adams Related news, Stephen Fry is taking up the mantle in a new series of "last chance to see..." which is starting soon and should be very interesting. There's a thought, Stephen Fry probably could have done it. Although it's gotten to teh point where Stephen Fry could say absolutely anything and I'd probably believe him. Curse you, QI!

wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 28 Aug 2009, 06:08

I detested the recent movie as I adore the books and radio series, this had better be good. Was the fifth one good? I never got around to reading it
Mad Madam Mimm

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 28 Aug 2009, 06:11

*non commital umming noises*

It was alright. Funny in places, and with completely bizarre callbacks to other books. But very bleak and a bit tainted with the feeling that the author's heart just wasn't in it. Passable, read it if you want to, but it's not on the list of things you must do before you die.

Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 28 Aug 2009, 07:06

The more recent movie adaptation had me tearing my hair out, and Adams himself actually had something to do with it. While I never cared for the way the fifth book ended, I just cannot see someone other than Adams writing a sixth installment. I'll probably give it a chance, but I remain skeptical.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 28 Aug 2009, 07:28

Why all the hate for the movie?

It was HEAVILY written by Adams, who had no intent of making the trilogy into movies, just the one.

He doesn't write the same story for every version. That's because every version is through different media, which requires a slightly different story.

I thought the movie was better than BOTH of the last two books in the trilogy, which I actually had to fore myself to read.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 28 Aug 2009, 07:39

I don't know how to feel about this...

Yes, Mostly Harmless was incredibly depressing, but I don't really see how the author could possibly use the characters from the Trilogy in a subsequent book.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it enough, it had all the right jokes and did a good job establishing the universe in which it took place. The only two changes I could ever want would be (a) Zaphod's 2nd head to be done as it was described in the book...I just didn't like the head-in-the-chest thing. And (b) the joke at the end...seriously it completely ruined the joke, it wasn't funny, it was annoying. Other than those two things, I'm perfectly okay with the movie.

I'm still trying to get my hands on the Dirk Gently books though, I hear they are great.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter

Return to “General Discussion”