How to make a game-based movie suck

Is there something you want to see? Give us suggestions here.
xXxHeadhunterxXx

How to make a game-based movie suck

Postby xXxHeadhunterxXx » 14 Apr 2006, 20:36

This can be a "X ways to Y" skit.

I actually came up with this one myself. I thought since you mention Uwe Boll in several of your skits, why not do one reading off laundry lists of what NOT to do when making a game-based movie (w/commentary involved of course). For instance, my list consists something like this (I wouldn't suggest mentioning this word-for-word if you do happen to make this vid). Also, show footage depicting each one (I'm sure it's not so hard to find in his "movies"):

1) Make it so that it doesn't resemble the game's at all in ANY way, shape, or form. IE: have there be an old muddy yard shack in HOUSE of the Dead, or make it to where the characters are always in daylight in Alone in the DARK (notice the two keywords here, in all caps), unless they're talking about the audiences themselves of course. IE: someone stabbing themselves at home watching House of the Dead, or being the only person in the theater watching Alone in the Dark, yeah, then I'm sure you'll be "alone in the dark" alright. After all, how much did AitD made worldwide again? Oh, you don't have to look it up for me, I'll tell you right here. It won't take me long *ponders*... oh yeah, that's right, ONLY $8 MIL, so you know a lot of people must've been feeling that way when they saw this movie! NOW the title actually makes a bit of sense!
2) Throw in a ton of game clips from left to right, to remind the audience of the game they're trying to base the movie off of. After all, I doubt anyone knew that HotD was based off of a Sega rail shooter to begin with!
3) Take a bunch of B-List actors (Ben Kingsley, Michael Madsen, Meatloaf, etc) and have them show no emotion whatsoever in these movies. Actually, take a bunch of fine actors and have them put up some of the worst performances ever caught on tape for that matter. After all, need the director mind them of why they were there in the first place? BLACKMAIL, persay?
4) Have a ton of talented screenwriters write the first draft of your next "big hit", only to piss them off later by telling them that their script lacks a main character with advanced superpowers, gratuitous sex scenes, slimy dog monsters, and pointless gun fights, and then hire a team of untalented hacks to include all of that in their sh*thole excuse for a script in the final cut themselves. For a footage source, use the webpage on somethingawful.com that pretty much tells the whole story.
5) Cast Tara Reid as an archeologist; who in their right mind would cast that dumb bimbo as ANY type of intellect in their movie?
6) Use 360 turntable effects around characters as they shoot; oh, and don't forget to take redout effects from the videogame and use them over the characters when they die!
7) When you make a fast-paced zombie-action flick, pretend, for just one second, that you're re-creating the Matrix. In other words, add a ton of cheesy Matrix effects to already atrocious 30 minute gun battle, but wait! You forgot to add the main ingredient... a bunch of teenagers who suddenly know how to use kung fu at the most convenient time in the movie; when the zombies come out for the FIRST TIME, DUH! Oh, and the coup de gracie... be sure to throw in an Asian chic whose name is liberty and wearing a bunch of red, white and blue-stripped clothes. Have her be Neo, and go kung-fu on the zombies's asses! That'll work out GREAT, won't it? Phh, yeah, when asses fly (and I mean REAL asses, not the ones you see everyday on the internet), which that won't be anytime soon, obviously. Wait, did I forget to mention that you'll see a lot of those in his movies as well (F'ING NUDITY!)?
8) When making a zombie movie, just remember; it's JUST a movie! The zombies don't have to look real! Just hire a bunch of random actors and have them wear halloween zombie costumes throughout the movie! That'll do just fine!
9) Spoil the entire movie's ending with a narratial encore; why waste 90 minutes on a film when he basically spells the entire movie out for you in just the first couple of minutes?
10) Have there be a Rave of the Year on what many people in that movie call a BAREN island! But, to make it even more interesting, have there be very few people on it!
11) During large gun battles, throw in a score of blazing techno/rap/metal, even through rap (a) sucks (b) doesn't belong in a movie about shooting zombies from left to right and (b) sucks, both lyrically and musically
12) Spell out the entire movie's story with an opening scroll text encore, only make it even slower moving than the ones from the Star Wars movies so that it takes at least 5 full minutes just to inform the audiences of what the hell the movie is about; I'm sure there aren't OTHER ways of explaining the movie's story (sarcasm).
13) Have an agent who is supposed to be dead suddenly get up during the movie (Alone in the Dark)
14) Make sure there is no character development whatsoever; just load it up with CGI monsters, gratuitous sex scenes and pointless gun fights from left to right.
15:) Play an anti-racism song during a topless love scene.(Alone in the Dark)
16): Play techno-salsa music during a car chase scene.(AITD)
17) Give your characters special weapons and ablities and no normal backstory!
18): Have BloodRayne wake up from a nightmare and then go fuck a guy.
19): Make the monsters affraid of the light, then come out in the morning and attack the main characters in the end. (AITD)
20): Do an adaptation of Dungeon Siege and rip-off LOTR, then call it In the Name of the King.
21): Give a simple farmer fantastic martial arts skills.

Granted, it'd be one long ass video, but it'd be very informative and it would tell future film makers what NOT to include in their movies if and when they hit the stage where they are to begin making them.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Apr 2006, 17:44

Why not do a video where we cover Uwe Boll's career...

I actually kind of like the concept, but maybe not as X2Y... maybe we should do a short with a director making an adaptation of something. I don't know.

Also, Ben Kinglsey won an Oscar... when did he start doing crap like Thunderbirds and Bloodrayne?
Fumbles

Postby Fumbles » 16 Apr 2006, 02:42

you also could do the flip side as well of people making crap games based on movies that just don't work.

"Hey guy's pirates of the caribbean is coming out, Lets just a game we have change the name and stick a bunch of old crazy pirate skelletons"
"yeah that sounds good"
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

ryanvdk

Postby ryanvdk » 16 Apr 2006, 08:58

Last edited by ryanvdk on 05 May 2017, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 16 Apr 2006, 16:05

ryanvdk wrote:How about a biographical documentary type movie reenacting the life and story of Uwe Boll. It could be called Uwe Boll: The Struggle, or the Passion of The Boll.

Uwe Boll: My Struggle to Succeed

-M

I am not angry at you.
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 16 Apr 2006, 20:08

Alright, you want a Boll-burn-a-thon?

"Uwe Boll : The Movie"

Foriegn title "Dont fucking see this. Ever."
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 21 Apr 2006, 09:39

The trouble with doing it as "X ways to Y" is that the Sam Raimi always makes a movie better.

Perhaps the LRR labs could develop the worst video game movie ever, list all the things they did to make it bad. When they then play the completed movie for a test viewer, it proves to be deadly, like the lost ark, the guy gets burned to a crisp. (We, the wider audience, are only shown brief clips of the movie for our own safety.)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Apr 2006, 10:01

That's a good take on it! Me likey.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 21 Apr 2006, 14:55

Graham, you really need to get on these suggestions ;)
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Apr 2006, 15:44

No kidding.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 21 Apr 2006, 17:35

Next week. You can use the SCIENCE MUSIC.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
robothero

Postby robothero » 30 Apr 2006, 20:58

DO: The Sam Raimi
DON'T: The Uwe Boll

I would mostly worry that making fake clips from a video game movie would stretch your production values even more than cable access did. Because it has to look bad, but it also has to look like you threw some money down a hole to make it look that bad. Probably the trick is in the lighting.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 May 2006, 20:43

robothero wrote:Perhaps the LRR labs could develop the worst video game movie ever, list all the things they did to make it bad. When they then play the completed movie for a test viewer, it proves to be deadly, like the lost ark, the guy gets burned to a crisp. (We, the wider audience, are only shown brief clips of the movie for our own safety.)

That would be a take off of the joke warfare from Monthy Python
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
robothero

Postby robothero » 08 May 2006, 10:06

Lord Chrusher wrote:That would be a take off of the joke warfare from Monthy Python
Not deliberately, but using a similar logic. This could be viewed as a prequel, as its focus is on the creation of the bad movie, rather than its application, which was the focus of the Python sketch.

Special effects-wise, though, it might have to recommend a Repo Man rather than a Lost Ark, just because it'll be an easier effect to achieve.
RevGiark

Postby RevGiark » 09 Aug 2006, 08:32

Okay, how about this?

Space Invaders: The Movie

The overhead shields become a riot shield, slowly blasted away by gangsta rapper aliens (dig that thump thump thump beat) and so forth. It's so horrific, it writes itself.
Check out my latest project at www.fbnmultimedia.com

Return to “Video Suggestions”