Ever attempt any form of stop motion?

Is there something you want to see? Give us suggestions here.
Kite Ryagara

Ever attempt any form of stop motion?

Postby Kite Ryagara » 05 Apr 2008, 08:29

Long stop motion?

I've got a friend who basically does nothing but show me what he believes to be your best videos, and I'm surprised I haven't seen any dabbling in stop motion yet. Of course, stop motion is hard to pull off. The one time I tried it, I made the stupid mistake or saving the images as jpegs. Bleh.

Stop motion can be used for just about anything, though. Animation of clay, figurines, humans...
---
It's pronounced "Rye Uh Gar Uh."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Apr 2008, 10:51

We've wanted to, badly.
It's just so time consuming. But it's always on the plates as an idea.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 05 Apr 2008, 11:22

What about stopmotion, with people!
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 05 Apr 2008, 11:53

You could just make a normal video, keep only one frame out of a hundred, and show them one-at-a-time.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Kite Ryagara

Postby Kite Ryagara » 05 Apr 2008, 11:55

Well, I'm rather familiar, Sir Graham, with efficiently doing Stop Motion. What ideas would you attempt to do? People (Butt Racing, Asiacopter, etc), claymation, or what?
---

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 05 Apr 2008, 11:57

Melendwyr wrote:You could just make a normal video, keep only one frame out of a hundred, and show them one-at-a-time.

Pretty sure that's cheating.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kite Ryagara

Postby Kite Ryagara » 05 Apr 2008, 12:15

I'd call that a movie more than anything even remotely related to stop motion. Of course, a movie really is just a sequence of images with sound attached.
---

Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 05 Apr 2008, 12:15

if you know how to do it in a way that isn't intensely time consuming then i want to know! i would love to do a stop motion video. i think it would allow for all manner of hijinks.
Kite Ryagara

Postby Kite Ryagara » 05 Apr 2008, 12:35

Well, it depends again on what you'd be interested in doing. In all likelihood, stop motion of a bunch of figurines or clay or other Wallace and Gromit-esque stuff would end up being a tad easier than human stop motion due to the fact that the thing you're constantly posing won't complain about it. Especially if you're making them fly.

Some video cameras take images as well, putting them in order. Otherwise, simply having a standstill camera or video camera with still-abilities set up on a tripod and having someone man it and handle the actual image taking would work just fine. In the end, stop motion really isn't that hard. Just a tad lengthy, and depending on whatever program used to put the images together, possibly choppy (like one program I used that didn't like the images in .png format, only .jpg. Way too many artifacts to count.).

Certain special movements are a tad harder to do, though. For example, some stop motion will make the human look as if they are flying. In other words, the person is jumping in the air repeatedly, with the cameraman taking a picture while they are airborn. Another trick is to actually record the images out of order and reverse them to make it look like someone is doing something, but that's a common trick in nearly all forms of film.

As I stated before, it's not really that hard, just time consuming. A decent day with fair weather and a good idea of what you'd intend to accomplish and it would probably be one of the easiest things you've done. No script needed, just commands.

Edit: Also, while it can be time consuming, the boring parts would be the actual compilation. As long as you have a cameraman with a trigger finger and some decent actions or events taking place to make it interesting to watch, it'll be lengthy, but not as long as one would think. If you have seen Tony vs. Paul, that took a month or two of actual shooting and editing, but that is extremely high class stop motion compared to the efforts of other people. They did a lot of tricks using stop motion that simply take a while to do. Butt racing is easier since you aren't asking the person to stand in various positions completely still, just to sit on the ground and inch forward every second or so.
---

Return to “Video Suggestions”