Video player updates

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Video player updates

Postby Paul » 30 Mar 2007, 10:10

I have made some changes to the video pages to incorporate Revver's latest updates to their video player.

The videos are now embedded via javascript which allows us to make sure we always have the latest version of the video player and should circumvent all that stupid Internet Explorer EOLAs stuff. There is also now a full screen button on each flash player so you can fill up your entire screen will pixelated LRR glory.

Another side effect of this update is that I realized that the "grab revver" embed code link was no longer working (why does nobody tell me these things!). For your convenience, your can now copy the flash embed code directly from any video page. You now have no excuse not to be spreading LRR like a high infectious, but hopefully non-fatal, virus all over the Internets

As always, if you have any trouble with the updates or have any questions, please let me know.

-P
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 30 Mar 2007, 17:12

I was wondering why the Revver player didn't come up. I have javascript blocked by my Firewall.

Thanks for explaining it, Paul.
Le grá,

Steve
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 03 Apr 2007, 01:48

Good work! I like the cool little symbol in the bottom right of the revver window. Did you have to ask for that especially or is it something all revver peoples have?
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 03 Apr 2007, 06:34

Dr Frankenjam wrote:Good work! I like the cool little symbol in the bottom right of the revver window. Did you have to ask for that especially or is it something all revver peoples have?

Yea, I was wondering about the logo in the corner as well. I think it's pretty slick. Same question as Dr. F.
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 03 Apr 2007, 07:47

It is a built in, but not very well documented, feature of the revver player, you just have to give it a png file and it replaces the revver logo.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Re: Video player updates

Postby Lavos » 09 Apr 2007, 18:26

Paul wrote:Another side effect of this update is that I realized that the "grab revver" embed code link was no longer working (why does nobody tell me these things!).
Your beard scares me.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 Apr 2007, 18:37

Lavos wrote:
Paul wrote:Another side effect of this update is that I realized that the "grab revver" embed code link was no longer working (why does nobody tell me these things!).
Your beard scares me.

Dude, seriously:
A) did that have a point within the thread?
B) did saying that provide helpful feedback?
C) was it funny?
D) are you secretly a pagonophobe?

If not, don't.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 09 Apr 2007, 18:59

i only just found the full screen button, i like this revver thing now! :D
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Whatchamabiscut

New ads?

Postby Whatchamabiscut » 03 Jan 2008, 20:38

I was watching Morgan's Problem and after watching it a video add for Girls Gone Wild popped up on the screen, is there some new ad format? It hasn't happened with any other video yet, and if this was your plan is there a specific reason why girls gone wild was your chosen sponsor?
Android

Postby Android » 03 Jan 2008, 21:29

It's a random ad thing that goes through rever. There's a discussion about it in the general forum as well as a parallel discussion about how the GGW guy should 'accidentally' fall off a large building for being such a douche.
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 12 Feb 2008, 01:20

Oooo, new Player skin.
I like. It matches the site's colour scheme better.
Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
OmegaZultan

Postby OmegaZultan » 12 Feb 2008, 16:49

oh man, i freaking love this new player, its so cool!
--OmegaZultan--
When the world ends, Bill begins.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 19 Feb 2008, 06:11

Noticed something, the random video link now seems to be a little...

Well less random. It works perfectly fine on the main page, but on other pages the random video no longer shows a new random video every time someone reloads the page ( at least that's how it is for me) however it DOES display a different video for for every new site link I click, and the specific different video seems to be associated only with that page.

Examples:

The videos page shows the Energy Shotgun video in the random link.
Failure shows the Rick Mercer video.
The Super Secret Surprise video shows "The Bright Young Newcomer"

From what I've learned of C++ seems like somehow the random number function hasn't been seeded properly, but then again I know nothing about html, so.... yeah...

Edit: Right after this post, I checked it again and it seems the randomness of videos not linked from the main page is just delayed a few minutes, which I like actually... so... yeah... again...
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 19 Feb 2008, 12:46

Server side cache.
Also why views don't go up, etc.
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 19 Feb 2008, 13:11

jtaylor wrote:Server side cache.
Also why views don't go up, etc.

Indeed
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 19 Feb 2008, 21:29

The site news are like your politics. Sometimes its interesting for everyone, sometimes it interesting for no one, sometimes its a split, but you still have to be vaguely aware of it, or you're going to look like a fool.
Image Image Image
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 20 Feb 2008, 14:26

I vote Paul Saunders for Prime Minister of Canada.
S.Talker

Postby S.Talker » 09 Mar 2008, 14:44

For some reason, I can't view any video older than Season 3 on the computers at my work. The rest work fine. Are they using a different player, like QT?
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 09 Mar 2008, 18:56

Yeah, pretty much every video pre-season 3 is an embedded QT video.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 13 Mar 2008, 16:56

All I get when I try Full-screen is a black screen, literally.

What's going on? :?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Woland

HTML 5

Postby Woland » 18 Mar 2008, 08:23

I just got the Safari HTML 5 update and have checked out the new video capacity (I've only been able to find one video thus far, but it works amazingly well http://webkit.org/blog/140/html5-media-support/ ).

I was wondering if Revver had any plans to go HTML 5 or if you were going to be using it on your own on the site, maybe little mini-vids in the corner of Matt getting hit with a pie, or something.

Hell, I'd be interested to know if anyone out there is as juiced over this revision as I am.
lookme875
First Video: cfd

Postby lookme875 » 08 Dec 2009, 19:54

It was the night before Christmas, and all through the evening I reminisced, fondly reliving past Christmases spent with my family. As a second year nursing student, just nineteen, this was to be the first time I wouldn’t be home on Christmas. Although I knew I would someday be working on Christmas, I never expected to feel this lonely.
Secluded in my room, I yearned for the mouth-watering aromas of mom’s freshly baked cookies, hot chocolate and love. The absence of the usual giggling, slamming doors and ringing telephones made the dormitory seem cold and empty. The unappetizing smell of disinfectant replaced my visions of cookies and cocoa.
wow power leveling,

Standing in front of the mirror, I conversed with my reflection. “You wanted to be a nurse didn’t you? Well, you’re almost a nurse. Now is your chance to find out what Christmas spirit really means.” Determined to make the best of it, I turned in early.

“I’ll be home for Christmas. You can count on me...” My faithful clock-radio announced reveille as I slowly dragged myself out of a toasty-warm bed. I trudged across the snow-filled street and grabbed a quick breakfast in the cafeteria before reporting for duty on the medical-surgical unit.
world of warcraft gold,

As I prepared to take vital signs on my first patient, I was startled by a robust voice that came from behind. “Merry Christmas to you. Want anything from the cafeteria? I’m headed that way Missy.” As I took the stethoscope out of my ears and turned around, from the dimly lit room I could see a gigantic, roly-poly elderly gentleman with long, curly hair, all decked out in a bright red, plaid shirt tucked haphazardly into baggy red trousers. The trousers appeared to be held up by only two, wide, fire-engine-red suspenders that had long since outlived their elasticity. This Santa Claus facsimile was standing in the doorway waiting patiently for an answer to his query. The only thing missing was the beard.

As I looked toward the bright hallway lights from the darkened room, I thought for a moment that I was dreaming. “No thanks,” I responded. “I just came on duty. I’ll grab something at lunch.”
World of warcraft Power Leveling,

Before disappearing down the hall he added, “Name’s George. Just let me know what I can do for you, Missy. I’ll be right back.”

As I cared for my patients, George was right alongside. I watched him spread holiday cheer as he became a guest to the patients who had no visitors that day. When trays arrived he knew who needed assistance and who needed to be fed. He read letters and cards to those whose eyes could no longer see the letters on a printed page. George’s powerful body and tender hands were always ready to help hold, turn, pull-up or lift a patient. He was a “gopher” who made countless trips to the supply room for the “needs of the moment.”

George also knew when to call for help. While reading a letter to Mr. Jenkins, George noticed that the patient suddenly started to “look funny” and instantly ran to the nurse’s station to summon aid. Thanks to George’s swift action, we managed to reverse the effects of an impending diabetic coma.
cd keys,

Jovial George clearly enjoyed helping others while he spread cheer and told jokes -- the same jokes, over and over again, all day long, one patient at a time. We all enjoyed his presence that Christmas day.

When I finally took my lunch break, I was surprised to find the cafeteria elaborately decorated for the season. I sat down next to one of the staff nurses from the unit. During lunch with Andrea, I had the chance to ask a burning question. “Who is this George fellow? And why is he here on Christmas Day?”

“About ten years ago, George’s wife became seriously ill. He spent almost every waking moment by her side. Those two lovebirds were so devoted to one another. There was nothing he wouldn’t do for her.” Andrea stopped for a few moments, sipping her coffee in silence, before continuing.
wow power level,

“George started to visit other patients while his wife was sleeping or having treatments. He was here so much that he seemed to take naturally to helping out wherever he could.”

My natural curiosity made me ask, “Does he have any family?”

A serious look came over Andrea’s face as she continued. “They never had children, and as far as I know, there are no relatives. But you see, George watched his wife suffer for a very long time. He shared every second of her pain and anguish. On Christmas Eve night, after I prepared his wife forleep, they prayed together. During the prayer, George promised his wife that if God would take away her misery that night, by taking her ‘home,’ he would spend the rest of his life as a Christmas volunteer.”

Andrea and I finished our lunch in silence.

Return to “Site News”