Failure

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 12 Feb 2008, 04:17

did james ad lib throwing that book at matt? it looked like he just wanted to hit matt with a book lol
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 12 Feb 2008, 05:20

Pretzelcoatl wrote:Your words are lies! I will take your turn as you would, so that you may sooner taste defeat by my hands.

Code: Select all

O|X|X
O|O|O
X|7|X

Wait...no! A thousand curses! Blinded by hubris, I laid the machinations of my own defeat. This is not the end, my greatest enemy. We will meet again.

(But now I'm going to sleep. Uh, sorry for hijacking the discussion.)

I for one am heartily amused by both you and Vaughn. Classic!
rootbeerbaby

Postby rootbeerbaby » 12 Feb 2008, 05:41

I have decided Paul will be my second husband, just as soon as I've bumped off the first. That video just clinched it.
Will write for root beer
Day is followed by dusk followed by night. Then dusk. Then night. Then dusk again.
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 12 Feb 2008, 05:55

I forgot to say I was impressed by the dolly!

You seem to be using lots of new cinematic ideas. Like the green screen and now new camera movements. And now theres all the behind the scenes stuff... Why is this?
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 12 Feb 2008, 06:26

Also, did you guys film this at UVic? And if so, where?
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 12 Feb 2008, 07:01

Corax, why do you have a blurry 4+MB video as your signature? That's a bit excessive on the bandwidth don't you think?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 12 Feb 2008, 08:13

oh... Hey, you're right! I thought it was just a looping gif of Metaknight beating the stuffing out of Fox.
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 12 Feb 2008, 09:32

Oxford wrote:Also, did you guys film this at UVic? And if so, where?

Looked like Clearihue C Wing.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Feb 2008, 10:05

Pretzelcoatl, Vaughn... that was wonderful, thank you.

And, good eye, duckthief. C-Wing it was.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 12 Feb 2008, 10:18

Clearihue C108?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 12 Feb 2008, 18:00

proudfoot wrote:And did you mean "shoo" rather than "shoe"? That would explain why "Sven" started walking away.
No, that was because he said "Ian McKellen."

I liked how the jacket was too big for Paul, and was expecting it to turn out at the end that he wasn't really the teacher, or possibly in the wrong room.
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

ArchRival Tic Tac Toe

Postby Shandi » 12 Feb 2008, 18:29

Graham wrote:Pretzelcoatl, Vaughn... that was wonderful, thank you.

I found this exchange far funnier than the video, and that's not to say the video wasn't entertaining.

Laugh Out Loud. Take a bow folks.
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 12 Feb 2008, 19:09

it's always nice to be able to entertain other people accidentally while entertaining yourself.

=3
Captain_Anarchy
FOOLED YOU!!!

Postby Captain_Anarchy » 12 Feb 2008, 19:40

Vaughn wrote:I just spent 10 minutes on IMDB trying different ways of spelling 'Ian Mckellen" to figure out who the hell Ian Mckellen was.

This is not something you should make publicly known.

Awesome video btw.
My hand to God. Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled.
-Wash
NBPharmacy

Having fun with statistics!

Postby NBPharmacy » 12 Feb 2008, 21:44

The Pious Flea wrote:For some unknown reason, the test had a lot of D answers on it.

Unless Opposite Day meant that there were actually very few D answers.

Man, I'm confused...

No, there isn't necessarily too many 'D' answers on it.

**Puts on Geek Hat**

Let's say there was an even distribution between A, B, C, D answers on the test giving 25% of the answers being D. This means if you would have chosen all 'D' answers, you would have gotten a score of 25%.

Now, Paul said that answering all 'D's would be 46.2% higher than the class average. This must mean the class average is 17%.

Code: Select all

25 = 1.462x
x = 25/1.462
x = ~17% when x is the class average

On a semi-related note, has anyone else had to take type 'F' questions? I'm in pharmacy, and all our exams are this way and they are so brutal. Let me give you an example.

Launch titles for the Wii included:
(1) Wii Sports
(2) Rayman Raving Rabbids
(3) Trauma Center

(a)1 only
(b)3 only
(c)1 and 2
(d)2 and 3
(e)1, 2, and 3

That way, you can't simply answer what you recognize. You know that Wii sports must be there, and for sure Trauma Center is probably there, but was Rayman a launch title? You then have to figure out if you're getting crossed up on something. Now imagine that you have to do this 60-70 times an exam. Not that I'm complaining but is there anyone else that had to deal with these types of exams?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
--Whatever is said in Latin, sounds profound.--
Pirate Jack

Postby Pirate Jack » 12 Feb 2008, 21:59

On my last midterm there were choices A though J. None of which were ever actually the correct answer.

I got 45%.
Graham and Paul signed my Wiimote. I never have to do anything cool ever again.
Trademark

Postby Trademark » 13 Feb 2008, 00:15

What I found really great was actually Matt´s performance...even though he didn´t say anything the mimics and everything was just great. I agree that the "If it was opposite day!" was just not that good...not really convincing actually. Otherwise it was really good.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Feb 2008, 05:04

Thank you, ™; you clarified my thoughts on the vid. I watched Paul's ranting and denigration with an open grin on my face, and Matt's mute performance fit perfectly into that.

Then the big punchline, which was "Oh! Ahhh...heh." Not bad in itself, but suffered from just being insufficient to match the build-up to it. :(

Good video, but not one I'd use to introduce people to LRR...if they were college students, I'd throw this one at them after they've gotten to know the regular cast and the general 'tone' of the group.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Re: Having fun with statistics!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 13 Feb 2008, 07:15

NBPharmacy wrote:
On a semi-related note, has anyone else had to take type 'F' questions? I'm in pharmacy, and all our exams are this way and they are so brutal.

Oh yeah, I remember those from Advanced Placement exams. They're not too bad, actually, because for every choice you can rule out, you can rule out more than one possible answer, whereas in multiple choice, you can only rule out one choice per answer. For example, if you know for sure that Wii Sports WAS a launch title, you can rule out b and d immediately. If you know 3 is true, you're done.

But they are a bit different, and I'm not sure I'd like to have an entire exam that way. Ick.

Yeah, the opposite day was sort of a let down. I think it would have been funnier if had just been carted off to the crazy house, and a substitute came in and said they all passed. Except for Sven.

IAN MCKELLEN!
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 13 Feb 2008, 08:40

JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 13 Feb 2008, 08:54

Haha. I like the Dolly. I'm surprised it was so smooth, I've always had those things at my schools, and they're jerky as hell. I guess up in Canadaland you guys have better standards for overhead projectors :(
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
NBPharmacy

Re: Having fun with statistics!

Postby NBPharmacy » 13 Feb 2008, 10:11

AlexanderDitto wrote:Oh yeah, I remember those from Advanced Placement exams. They're not too bad, actually, because for every choice you can rule out, you can rule out more than one possible answer, whereas in multiple choice, you can only rule out one choice per answer. For example, if you know for sure that Wii Sports WAS a launch title, you can rule out b and d immediately. If you know 3 is true, you're done.

But they are a bit different, and I'm not sure I'd like to have an entire exam that way. Ick.

You're right in the sense that you are able to rule out more than one answer (in fact, that's pretty much what you have to do for every question), but the disadvantage when compared to normal exams is that if one answer stands out as bring true, you still have to be absolutely sure that you know the status of the other 2 answers. On standard multiple choice, you only have 1 possible right answer, so you can stop thinking as soon as you find the right one. On Type F, you have to know whether each of the three statements are right or wrong, although using the technique that you talked about it is possible to make your job easier, but I would still say that they're more challenging than a standard exam.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

--Whatever is said in Latin, sounds profound.--
chainner

very bad

Postby chainner » 13 Feb 2008, 11:24

there are only 2 things i can say about this video :twisted: one is that it was very very very funny and i also want to no were i can get one of those cool hats :?:
wooooooooooooooooooooooot
Motoken

Postby Motoken » 13 Feb 2008, 12:29

great rotational effect! but a bit bumpy when you did the close-ins. also enjoyed the baby joke.

was disappointed by the ending. short sentences are annoying. =)

i give it a 75% = not phaliure. C+
WaffleIronMan
First Video: Underpantaloons

Postby WaffleIronMan » 13 Feb 2008, 17:13

lol. Having fun with the dolly are you?
i liked "Sven"s hat who made it?
you did good acting on your part Paul.
great vid

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”