Phailhaus in General

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Exodius

Phailhaus in General

Postby Exodius » 16 Feb 2008, 19:40

I was moderately surprised that no one's made a Phailhaus thread in here. But I'm thinking people should share how "Phail" has effected their lives.

Obviously, (being the idiot who started this thread) I'll start.

Shortly after viewing the second Phailhaus video, I hacked my School's computer network (in a non-destructive way) and put in a screen that appears just between having logged in and reaching the desktop that says, "You Phail!". It's been about a week or so now, and they still haven't figured out how to get it off.

- Exodius
If you're going to be a geek, at least be a GOOD geek!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Phailhaus in General

Postby tak197 » 16 Feb 2008, 19:42

Exodius wrote:I was moderately surprised that no one's made a Phailhaus thread in here. But I'm thinking people should share how "Phail" has effected their lives.

Obviously, (being the idiot who started this thread) I'll start.

Shortly after viewing the second Phailhaus video, I hacked my School's computer network (in a non-destructive way) and put in a screen that appears just between having logged in and reaching the desktop that says, "You Phail!". It's been about a week or so now, and they still haven't figured out how to get it off.

- Exodius

Phunny. But you get points taken away for using the wrong form affect/effect. 7/10
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Feb 2008, 19:47

I approve of this thread 100%.

Do go on...
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 16 Feb 2008, 19:53

you could also change the Autocorrect on computers word processors to replace F's with PH's
you might have to do it on a word-by-word basis. starting with the most common or obvious words.

I dont REALLY endorse THIS: but on my last day of highschool i changed one computer to autocorrect "The" into 4 pages of swears.
sweeks

Postby sweeks » 16 Feb 2008, 22:37

Just before the grade 12 English diploma exam I changed all the computers auto correct to change there->their, their->they're, they're->there. then wrote mine with a good old pen and paper. I'm sure I made some people look incredibly stupid. :twisted:
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 16 Feb 2008, 22:44

sweeks wrote:Just before the grade 12 English diploma exam I changed all the computers auto correct to change there->their, their->they're, they're->there. then wrote mine with a good old pen and paper. I'm sure I made some people look incredibly stupid. :twisted:

That's awesome.

Win.
I can't think of a signature.
theINC

Postby theINC » 16 Feb 2008, 23:27

sweeks wrote:Just before the grade 12 English diploma exam I changed all the computers auto correct to change there->their, their->they're, they're->there. then wrote mine with a good old pen and paper. I'm sure I made some people look incredibly stupid. :twisted:

The sad thing is that that might have actually *corrected* some poor English students' papers.
Woland owes me 10 points.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Re: Phailhaus in General

Postby Allen! » 16 Feb 2008, 23:42

tak197 wrote:Phunny. But you get points taken away for using the wrong form affect/effect. 7/10

Pretty sure it was intentional.
You are very aphphective at generating lulz, my phriend.

OH GOD I PHELL INTO THE MEME, HELP ME OUT OPH HERE
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 16 Feb 2008, 23:51

Stop whining. Just use words without 'ph's.

Shit.
I can't think of a signature.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 17 Feb 2008, 00:04

if you want a task, try talking without striking that popular non-consonant. You know, that fifth symbol.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 17 Feb 2008, 00:33

It is truthful that fulfilling that is most difficult to do.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 17 Feb 2008, 00:39

I shoulda told you about this at an occasion prior to now
http://www.songstowearpantsto.com/songs ... -letter-e/
BrainBot

Postby BrainBot » 17 Feb 2008, 01:08

Vaughn wrote:if you want a task, try talking without striking that popular non-consonant. You know, that fifth symbol.

Oh. I spy what you did at that location.
theProphetSuz

Postby theProphetSuz » 17 Feb 2008, 01:42

BrainBot wrote:
Vaughn wrote:if you want a task, try talking without striking that popular non-consonant. You know, that fifth symbol.

Oh. I spy what you did at that location.

Indeed.
Green Eggs and Hampire
theINC

Postby theINC » 17 Feb 2008, 01:56

I also now know that producing a string of words without this peculiar symbol is troublesome.

Woland owes me 10 points.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 17 Feb 2008, 05:33

Awesome XD

I wish I still had access to the school's pc lab, I'd something like that
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Feb 2008, 11:41

Dangit - where were all you when I was still in high school and practically running the computer lab?

I consider this another missed opportunity... :(
Exodius

Postby Exodius » 17 Feb 2008, 11:44

I've got off from school this week, so I'm going to start looking into just what I can do for fun...

I'm thinking that if I do it right, I can hack in as a system administrator, change the autocorrect default files on all the 3500 (or so) computers on the school network to "ph" everything, and then lock the other admins out of the files. That should teach them a lesson.

Really, the only reason I'm willing to do something like this, that would inconvienience so many people in my School District, is because I'm actually also doing it to help out with a multi-school student protest against what the district has started doing with the computers.

And, of course, it's Fun.

- Exodius
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 17 Feb 2008, 13:04

what have they done to the computers?
Exodius

Postby Exodius » 17 Feb 2008, 13:45

The administrators were complaining that too much file usage was being allotted to the students, and so they started limiting EVERYTHING we could put into our personal system files. We can't put pictures, videos, or music files in our own folders, which means that, say, a person who's doing a powerpoint presentation can't keep the pictures long enough to put them into the presentation. They're also big brothering EVERYTHING we do, watching everything.

In the beginning of January, they set it so that the program that automatically deletes all media files in the personal files ALSO deleted all media files on anything connected to the computer, say, a person's flashdrive, or MP3 player. If you plugged it into the computer, it got wiped automatically. After 3 days of taht, I worked with an old friend, and created a virus-like program that destroys auto-deletion programs, like the ones they used. That problem was solved.

They also have an internet filter running, which I think is just fine. They haven't blocked here yet, and if they do, I'll just kill the Blocker. (Again. They've gone through 17 different blockers, and 4 of them I've destroyed. The rest were by others who needed to get onto specific sites, because for a LOT of the kids at my school, that's the ONLY internet access they get, and only going to school-approved sites kinda sucks.) But lately, they've been logging who's trying to go to certain blocked sites, and if they say the site's bad enough, they give the kids Detention. And not just the run-of-the-mill, 45-minute detention, but the 2-HOUR detention, that every time you can't make it (or you even make it late) you have to do 2 MORE 2-hour detentions.

But the worst part about it is that the reason so much file space was being used is that all the "School is Pointless" (Future fast-food personel) students were the reason there was no filespace, and now all the smart, College+ bound students (Like me, Chemical engineering all the way!) are getting punished (severely) for the stupidity of the other half or so of the school.

That's what brought us together. We've (anonymouslly) petetioned/made demands for more fair e-treatment, and if we don't get it, (which, so far, we're winning) then me, two of my friends, and one of our teachers (who is pissed because he brought in his portable hard-drive with all of his REALLY important information on it, and it got wiped) are going to LITERALLY destroy the entire school computer network, from the core outward, leaving only one of the 18 servers (Heavily Encrypted, of course) with all the student's files backed up on it, accessible ONLY from outside the network. I'm helping my two friends with the program set that'll kill the network, but making the super-multi-layered data encrypter is entirely my responsibility. I'm actually making a program that used 5 other fairly well known and powerful encryption programs, in succession, to lock and unlock the files.

All we want is our freedom back, and if we get it, they'll get to keep theirs, too.

- Exodius
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 17 Feb 2008, 13:53

dag. if i ever need help ruining people's shit, i know who to talk to.

Exodius

Postby Exodius » 17 Feb 2008, 13:53

Oh, yeah...

HI, MORGAN!!!

*Waves Frantically*

You're great, and absolutely hilarious! You should do the Whatever thing more/again. Those videos were my favorite!

...Well, aside from the "Sheer Stupidity" videos. They're great, too. DO MORE OF THEM.

He he he... ABSOLUTELY BAT-SHIT LOCO!!!!!!!!

- Exodius
Exodius

Postby Exodius » 17 Feb 2008, 13:55

DUDE!!! Morgan acknowledged my existance!!!

Yeah.

Well, if you even need any help, I may not always be able to help over a difference, but I make some absolutely AMAZING ideas. Trust me.

- Exodius
Citin

Postby Citin » 17 Feb 2008, 15:07

Just make sure you don't get caught, some kids at my school got into some serious trouble when they started hacking into the computers...
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 17 Feb 2008, 15:18

It's high school. If yours is anything like mine was, being rebellious and trying to destroy the computer's network system isn't going to impact the higher-up administration's opinions or irrational fear of anything electronic. It's just going to give your tech person a headache when they have to fix your mess. This sort of thing normally goes up much, much higher than is even visible.

If you want to do something about it, I'd try addressing the school board. Personally. With letters from angry parents, and lawyers, if possible.

Unless, of course, you go to a private school, in which case it is all the administration's fault, and you could probably achieve the desired result by just talking to them, or convincing them that God loves unfettered network access.

And you're not only probably violating school rules, which could get you things much worse than detentions (seriously, detentions? High schools still give those out? Pathetic!), but you could be breaking the law.

I must say I enjoyed this week's Phailhaus as much as I enjoy every Phailhaus, which is to say very much. I don't usually do much Phailing, though.

Return to “General Discussion”