Feb 28th - The Con

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 28 Feb 2008, 15:18

emma wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:I've never watched it, but I've heard that Cowboy Beepop is a really good show, even from people that don't normally watch the Animes. I might have to check it out. Affirmative/Negative?

I am not a huge anime fan (I enjoy Miyazaki and Lain and Millennium Actress) but I absolutely LOVED Cowboy BeBop.

Apparently Samurai Shamploo is even better, but I haven't seen it yet.
Cowboy Bebop is very very good. Samurai Shamploo is also very good but it's not as good for me but I prefer futuristic kind of stuff. The Blue Gender I've seen was also pretty good.
anotherearth

Postby anotherearth » 28 Feb 2008, 17:32

JesterJ. wrote:Oh GOD yeah, Tina Fey in a LRR video would be amazing.

Tina Fey in ANY video is awesome!!!

Cake wrote:Remembering is the other half.

I'm pretty sure that actually battling is the other half. :)

Jer, PLEASE post your plushy vids!
Stuffed ducks doing the Hobbit would be awesome to see!

Speaking as a person who works in a library with the young adult crowd (that's "YA" to those in the know), I gotta say that manga has been a HUGE boon to libraries. It's become amazingly popular and it really doesn't matter what kind of manga it is -it seems that my patrons will read just about anything we buy/stock. But, titles like "Bleach", Death Note" and "Naruto" are the ones that seems to be asked for most. Anything to keep them reading is fine by me.
Personally, I'm not a manga fan but I like a lot of anime. I think the first series I watched was "G-Force/Battle Of The Planets" or "Star Blazers" which I used to run home from grade school to see the last 20 min daily. WAVE MOTION GUN!!!
These days, I like a lot of the typical classics/standbys (Miyazaki stuff, Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Big-O, Ghost in the Shell, etc, etc) and have started watching some of the newer, more popular ones (Bleach, Champloo, etc) -primarily to keep up with my YA patrons' interests.
However, my all-time fav anime is FoolyCooly/FLCL (can anyone tell that from my avatar?). I can watch that one over & over & over and never get sick of it. The music of The Pillows makes it for me I think (they ROCK!!!).
And that brings up a good question for the rest of yous: does anyone else like anime music or have gotten into JPop/JRock groups b/c of an anime?
I HIGHLY rec'd The Pillows!

Great podcast as always guys!
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Feb 2008, 17:51

Battling can't be the other half of it's whole.

Knowledge = 1/2 of battle
Remembering = 1/2 of battle

Knowledge + Remembering = 1 battle

Knowledge + Battle /= 1 Battle

Math is fun.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 28 Feb 2008, 20:57

Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

Bloody, gratuitous violence.

FlCl is great, though I suspect it might be lost on people who want to take things seriously. Cowboy Bebop is fantastic, Samurai Champloo is great.(undercover cop disguised as a hooker riding Mugen and directing him with shouts of "HEY LOOK, A NAKED GIRL!" was hilarious)

Those who prefer a more realistic style would probably like Darker Than Black, which is very crisp, though the nose is still mostly a triangle. On the other hand, anyone who's ever said "how hard is it to draw a proper nose/eyes?" has clearly never tried to draw a proper nose/eyes. It's not horribly hard, no, but when you can just say "triangle" instead of "Bridge, end, nostrils, sides," it does save a lot of time.

And hey, while we're complaining... Garfield's eyes are huge ellipsoids pasted on his face, Charlie Brown's head is a circle, Elmer Fudd's nose is a sideways U, and Donald doesn't look even remotely duck-like.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 28 Feb 2008, 21:29

Woo! A podcast! And my question got answered, quite humorously. Thanks guys.

I think every person (erm... maybe... not everyone) should be encouraged to watch at least a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop. I think people's perceptions of anime as "stupid" or "childish" would change very quickly.

Samurai Champloo is fantastic, too. I'm watching Darker than Black right now, actually, and it's really very good. It's breaking a lot of stereotypes that I thought it would uphold, so I'm impressed.

Eh, drawing styles are drawing styles. It's sort of silly to complain that a cartoon isn't drawn in a realistic style; many cartoonists strive to break from a realistic style to represent and emphasize motion, emotion, etc.

Tina Fey is amazing. She and Amy Pohler totally made Saturday Night Live. Now, not so much. Sorry, veritable gaggle of male cast members. You, in general, are pretty much suckage.

anotherearth: Augh, reading Manga is not reading. It's maybe a few pages of text, at most. It's mostly looking at pictures. Maybe I'm just being an old worry wart, but I fear kids don't read anything anymore. I don't care what it is, as long as it's an actual book. Comics aren't books. I mean, comics and manga have a place, but so do books.

FLCL seems to divide people; you either really like it or think it's complete rubbish. I've never seen it, so I can't comment.

Millennium Actress made me cry. I loved that movie. Satoshi Kon is a genius.

Everyone playing WoW needs to stop playing WoW right now. WoW is wack! It's pointless grinding! BREAK OUT OF THE MATRIX! FREE YOUR MIND!

I think Gibb is dead. They killed him! They forgot to feed him, and he died. They're just not telling us! D:< ANGRY MOB TIME.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 28 Feb 2008, 21:30

anotherearth wrote:However, my all-time fav anime is FoolyCooly/FLCL (can anyone tell that from my avatar?). I can watch that one over & over & over and never get sick of it. The music of The Pillows makes it for me I think (they ROCK!!!).
And that brings up a good question for the rest of yous: does anyone else like anime music or have gotten into JPop/JRock groups b/c of an anime?
I HIGHLY rec'd The Pillows!

FLCL and the Pillows is awesome!!! I have all of the episodes and songs!!! Another good JRock group is Maximum the Hormone, they did the beginning (What's up, people) and ending theme (Zetsubo Billy) for Death Note. My favorite song from The Pillows is Runners High, and My favorite song from Maximum the Hormone is Chu Chu Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura Purin Purin Boron Nururu Rero Rero. (Yeah that's really the title of the song. :wink: )

What's your favorite from The Pillows?
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
theINC

Postby theINC » 28 Feb 2008, 22:57

Workingmy way through this podcast.
Jeeze, Matt, you're such a dick
Matt, did you keep a fully grown golden retriever in your basement?
Not very healthy.
Surely you kept it outside.
Last edited by theINC on 28 Feb 2008, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Woland owes me 10 points.
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 28 Feb 2008, 23:07

anotherearth wrote:Jer, PLEASE post your plushy vids!
Stuffed ducks doing the Hobbit would be awesome to see!

Yes please.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Feb 2008, 23:18

tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 29 Feb 2008, 03:45

I should also mention that I would also like to see a whole episode of Pitagora Suichi. It's the geekiest part of me, and it would have to be subtitled, but I think that show looks really cool.

But long story short, Japanimation is pretty but bores me to no end, and Japanese Game shows and Pitagora Suichi make me laugh soooooo hard.

(Algorithm March...LOL...)
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 29 Feb 2008, 03:48

Every Japanese game show you see automatically becomes the best one you've ever seen. They are made of win.
LS

Postby LS » 29 Feb 2008, 10:55

Matt is a dick.

That is all.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Feb 2008, 16:25

Matt is such a dick

Otherwise, great to hear from you all yet again. The "weekly" part of this podcast never seems to make it routine or dull, there's always something neat and fun to hear you talk about. Kinda like George Bush and the possibility of a zombie armageddon... 8)

I'm trying to remember what my first anime was...it was either Escaflowne or Sailor Moon, probably Moon.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Pretzelcoatl
The Feathered Pretzel

Postby Pretzelcoatl » 01 Mar 2008, 01:49

You can't help but admire the guy who gets a forum account solely to tell us Matt's a dick.
"Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
~Douglas Adams
LS

Postby LS » 01 Mar 2008, 17:12

It would be more accurate to say that I made the account to welcome Matt into the dick collective, but the end result is essentially the same.

Furthermore, you're not alone. Most people can't help but admire me.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.
GSV Exit Strategy

Postby GSV Exit Strategy » 01 Mar 2008, 21:19

I wasn't there for the end of the podcast.
Heathen
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Heathen » 03 Mar 2008, 02:39

What sort of British TV actually makes it over there, anyway?

I'm aware of the original series of The Office and the new Doctor Who, but apart from that do you get any other current programming, or is it just older stuff such as Fawlty Towers, Python and Blackadder?
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 03 Mar 2008, 02:41

We get Coronation Street. Im not sure if that counts, or if its even over THERE anymore, because the Brits actually tried to get it cancelled but all our mothers rioted and forced it back on.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Heathen

Postby Heathen » 03 Mar 2008, 02:54

Oh yes, we still get it. If it's not Corry it's Eastenders or Emmerdale. I saw a punch up start between two older ladies in a pub once because one derided another's choice of old-lady-soap.
PaidTheUmpire

Postby PaidTheUmpire » 03 Mar 2008, 03:52

A couple of good British shows are IT Crowd and Black Books.
Heathen

Postby Heathen » 03 Mar 2008, 04:00

Wow, I hadn't realised we send such current series over, the IT crowd only just concluded its second series here. Black Books is obviously a little older, but just awesome :>
concupiscentcrustacean
First Video: black box

Postby concupiscentcrustacean » 05 Mar 2008, 08:43

we also get extras and life on mars, and we had at one point a bit of spaced. also, my mother watches rosemary an thyme, and some show about a lady that solves crimes and does autopsies. also, I don't think they show it on tv here(they do in the states), but i've seen most of the mighty boosh.
"I studied the ancient art of Origami gun making, and i've folded a pistol out of purest prose. This is an Origami 45. The most powerful poetry in the world."
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 06 Mar 2008, 18:54

James,

This week's podcast?

Also are you going to update the blog?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 Mar 2008, 18:58

Lord Chrusher wrote:This week's podcast?

Oh, shit.

Yeah, James wasn't there, so it's on my laptop.

Gonna be delayed guys, sorry.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 06 Mar 2008, 19:15

Graham wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:This week's podcast?

Oh, shit.

Yeah, James wasn't there, so it's on my laptop.

Gonna be delayed guys, sorry.

How late are we talking? I need my fix.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009

Return to “LRRcast”