The Con

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Anime

Postby Daniel » 29 Feb 2008, 07:09

I'm sure the landscape has changed since my last contact with Anime (that would be waterloo's CTRL-A, the Club That Really Likes Anime), particularly in terms of the breadth of what's brought over, but can someone tell me, is there literally a single series that's of interest to adults? I mean adults not in a fun, escapist action-adventure or rom com mood, but looking for stories with some depth, that speak to them about their life and the world. Things have been overhyped before: past the incredibly awesome opening credits, Cowboy Bebop was all style and no substance. Outside of Studio Ghibli and Mamoru Oshii, I haven't seen anything on the level of even say Dawson's Creek or House, let alone The Wire, Firefly, Friday Night Lights or Six Feet Under.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 29 Feb 2008, 11:39

I have never seen an anime that could match The Wire for depth and intelligence. The closest contenders I know of are Paranoia Agent and Monster.

I personally think Cowboy Bebop holds up against Firefly, but apparently you would disagree.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 29 Feb 2008, 14:43

I was going to start posting on this forum but then I saw this.

I have never seen an anime that could match The Wire for depth and intelligence. The closest contenders I know of are Paranoia Agent and Monster.

Now the last time I checked my dictionary, depth, nor intelligence, were synonyms for boring self aggrandizing nonsense. Needless to say, I registered solely to express my displeasure at the association of "Paranoia Agent" with any quality that isn't explicitly negative. Farewell for eternity, Loading Ready Run forums.
Gray24
First Video: Whichever was the first video...

Postby Gray24 » 29 Feb 2008, 19:41

Phunny Story...

When I was at community college, my friends showed me Cowboy Bebop. Needless to say, I hated it. That doesn't make it bad, I just couldn't get into it...please don't lynch me.

I love other series like Witch Hunter Robin and Ghost in the Shell. Has anyone seen those animes?
David E Gray

Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 29 Feb 2008, 20:09

Cybren wrote:I was going to start posting on this forum but then I saw this.

Now the last time I checked my dictionary, depth, nor intelligence, were synonyms for boring self aggrandizing nonsense. Needless to say, I registered solely to express my displeasure at the association of "Paranoia Agent" with any quality that isn't explicitly negative. Farewell for eternity, Loading Ready Run forums.

Paranoia Agent was a Mindf**k anime.

I really like Mindf**k anime.
Deemed too hazardous for human contact.
Twigle

the con

Postby Twigle » 01 Mar 2008, 03:55

The con was a great video, and kei kon was fun too. I decided the panel was better then amv contest, a decision i don't regret . but i got a shirt, got it signed. also Grahm told me that i was the first person outside of the Lrr crew to get one of the new shirts! :D
When life gives you lemons, kick'em in the nuts and say, " I WANTED A BEER, BITCH!"
Mirran

Postby Mirran » 01 Mar 2008, 09:23

D=. I was Waldo. It wasn't a staff, it was a hiking stick. And as far at the hat goes, I couldn't find a hat for it, so I borrowed a hat from my girlfreind, and it was used for the kid from speed racer cosplay XD. It was thrown together super fast
-Pandering to the faceless masses since 1989
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Mar 2008, 09:39

Excellent, I was half right.
I hat threw for a loop, you see.
Mirran

Postby Mirran » 01 Mar 2008, 13:44

Also, we need to get together and rock... Rock Band once I get it... I've decided I can't hold out anymore... next paycheque =D
-Pandering to the faceless masses since 1989
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 01 Mar 2008, 16:32

Mirran wrote:Also, we need to get together and rock... Rock Band once I get it... I've decided I can't hold out anymore... next paycheque =D

I have a picture of Graham playing Rock Band at Kei-Kon on my phone. He was doing vocals.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Mar 2008, 17:21

I'm very annoyed, Rock Band STILL hasn't arrived in Australia. -_- Not to mention it's apparently going to cost $300....possibly more.

But, anyway. Very unique timing for this vid, I was just discussing going to Supernova (Anime convention) with a few mates of mine this year and BOOM this vid crops up. :P Mind you, it was kind of in the fortelling 'cause of the lead up to Kei-Con. This'll be my first Anime convention, decided I'm gonna cosplay for Manifest which'll be my second which is also much later in the year. Squall Lionhart FTW. ^.^
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 01 Mar 2008, 18:36

Maybe it's just me, but Kathleen's delivery of the Fan-Parodies explanation kinda made me think of Paul. The gestures and emphasis just seemed like how Paul would deliver that line. Anyone else agree with me?
Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Mar 2008, 18:41

Kara wrote:I have a picture of Graham playing Rock Band at Kei-Kon on my phone. He was doing vocals.

DO WANT.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Mar 2008, 18:52

Splunge wrote:Maybe it's just me, but Kathleen's delivery of the Fan-Parodies explanation kinda made me think of Paul. The gestures and emphasis just seemed like how Paul would deliver that line. Anyone else agree with me?

I can kind of see it with the hand gestures, but I think the vocal delivery (ASIDE from the fact that Kathleen's female) is totally wrong for a Paulesk moment.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 01 Mar 2008, 20:13

Unlucky wrote:I'm very annoyed, Rock Band STILL hasn't arrived in Australia. -_- Not to mention it's apparently going to cost $300....possibly more.

If you are willing to pay for the game in USD and to have it shipped to AUS, then I'll go to the store for you and get it in the mail for you.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 01 Mar 2008, 23:41

Cake wrote:
Unlucky wrote:I'm very annoyed, Rock Band STILL hasn't arrived in Australia. -_- Not to mention it's apparently going to cost $300....possibly more.

If you are willing to pay for the game in USD and to have it shipped to AUS, then I'll go to the store for you and get it in the mail for you.

Thanks for the offer Cake, but my income isn't strong enough regardless to buy the game as much as I'd like to. Currently saving up for a new comp, then it's onto new car. After that....THE WORLD!Z!1!!1!11!!

Mind you, how much IS Rock Band in USD? Or Canadian for that matter?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 02 Mar 2008, 07:23

Um, like, $150 I beleive?
Protoman

Postby Protoman » 02 Mar 2008, 20:40

Master Gunner wrote:
Kara wrote:I have a picture of Graham playing Rock Band at Kei-Kon on my phone. He was doing vocals.

DO WANT.

ALSO WANTS
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Mar 2008, 21:21

I kind of want as well.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 02 Mar 2008, 21:48

I would like it too...
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Mar 2008, 00:23

Am I the only person around that has no interest in Rock Band at all? :?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 03 Mar 2008, 00:41

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Am I the only person around that has no interest in Rock Band at all? :?

Yes. I have a friend that totally crucified me about playing Rock Band. That is, until I made him try it. Now he calls me asking to play.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 03 Mar 2008, 00:52

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Am I the only person around that has no interest in Rock Band at all? :?

I dont care much either way.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 03 Mar 2008, 02:31

I've finally worked my way up to the 20% off mark on my game-store customer card. Now if only they'd hurry up and release Rock Band so I can use it. (I'm also in Australia.)
Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 05 Mar 2008, 02:04

Rock Band isn't out in the UK yet either. I'm gonna have to buy the full Game + Guitar + Drums + Mic set aswell because my GH3 guitar is packing in. We've obviously been rinsing it far too hard recently. I swear GH3 is in use about 18 hours a day in my flat.

The red button is so dodgy on that guitar now :(
We actually fight over who uses the GH2 one and who uses the GH3 one in face offs. :lol:

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”